CONTROLLER THREAD

How the fuck did Nintendo luck out on the d pad patent and what even makes it so special? I have tried almost every controller under the sun and the Snes with mod chip is still the best option for platforming. How come controllers like Ps3, Logitech, Gamesir, Xbox360 never register the left-down, left-up, right-down, right-up. Is that what is actually patented. I have played with a Xbox1 and Ps4 controller, but have yet not tested the setting on a PC. I know there is an user here that dissects controller for fun? just wonder if he has a list of controllers he has taken apart.

Controller thread, faggots.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/patents/US4687200
amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWVX2RG
amazon.com/Mayflash-Sega-Saturn-Controller-Adapter/dp/B0089O10BC
wiinupro.com/home
amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZBHXEO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can anyone confirm OP's claims about the SNES controller? I'm honestly curious about this.

I've touched pretty much every controller Nintendo has ever made EXCEPT the SNES controller. I guess my favorite Nintendo controller with a D-pad is probably the Wii U Gamepad? (Talking strictly in terms of D-pad quality here)

There's other game consoles I like better, of course, but the Wii U D-Pad feels really great, better than NDS/CGB/GCN/Wii/etc D-Pad imo.

Oh shit right, yeah the wiiu controller is awesome. Too bad you need a bulky adapter and the analogs sticks have no buttons in them. Another thing I need to ask is what game can I test these controllers for "deadzones" on the analogs. I seem to be seeing that is always the biggest complaints in controllers. Even non third party ones.

Most controllers do register 8 way d-pads. It's easier for the software to not recognizing it, since sensing Up + Left is the same as sensing Upper Left, at least for movement and cursors.

Fair enough. I am amazed how good the Ps3 controller is on PC as well.

Dualshock 4 if you're casually playing games otherwise get a fucking stick you retard

I have taken apart a lot of controllers

Snes has a regular design pad, early Nes ones where shit. I doubt you even know how the inside of the controller looks

Best designs i have come across are

1 Sega Saturn and it's clone the Logitech d-pad
(an individual tube for each direction holds inside a long bit that descends and presses the magnetic gums)

2 Xbox one Dpad and it's rock candy clone
(A circular piece sort of "filters" the inputs, and an underlying "V" piece helps it to achive precise inputs )

3 Nintendo pad is the same since the Snes
(the dpad has some "dents" under each direction and a central pivot that is very wide in order for the dpad to center over it and not sort of lean to any side)

4 Dual shocks havent changed in 15 years
(Basic central pivot that is flat, a tripod piece serves to stablize the dpad and helps to avoid wrong inputs like Down-Up instead of just Up)

5 Nes (just a pivot in the middle but had the right size)

6 Gamesir, X box (a very thin pivot in the middle, the dpad feels mushy as fuck and you will make lots of wrong inputs, these are a piece of shit)

Sticks are overrated, but I agree. Can you even recommend one for about 100$?

In my experience with the DS3 if I roll ever so slightly to the left or right on either down or up it'll register a diagonal input. The dualshocks pad feels absolutely awful and I don't understand why.

I actually like the Logitech wired one a lot, I dont know why it gets shit on so much. The dpad is really nice, I agree.

do it yourself if you want to save cash

Cool story bro

whoops, as it actually do it yourself, build your own stick

it's a genuine answer, bulding your own fightstick is common and you can find lots of designs online, some people even sells just the shell so you can just fit it with your own custom parts. There is a lot of depth to it.

user, why the fuck do you need a mod chip in a SNES?

i want to buttfuck skullgirls

And to think there was some fag on here shilling that shit not long ago.

probably turbo inputs and buffering

Some controllers do something like a really small buffer to register dual button presses accurately for example pressing A+B,
in controls without this feature (mostly cheap af ones) its near impossible to input these consistently because your thumb will press them with a microsecond difference even tough you feel like it was at the same time, and they register the inputs as following one another instead

sometimes this is alleviated by the software but games like Marvel vs Capcom or KOF in MAME emulators won't help you

has anybody even checked on how good that wireless version actually is?

Interesting, would make sense. Thanks for the expertise user.

I recently buy the controller of the first pic, it wasn't exactly what I was looking but still seems to be nice, did I hit the nail with it?

Oh I see what you mean, I never even thought of it. Probably really fullfilling.

Too use it on a pc/usb with no input lag from adapters.

I had the previous wireless version (Cordless Rumblepad 2) served me a solid 7 years before upgrading to a DS4 which is better in every way except for the dpad, since the rumblepad 2's dpad is functionally a saturn clone and is incredible.

The wireless one I had disconnected a lot and randomly spazed out with inputs.

From the one I got to try out, the dpad felt fine. The whole controller felt stiff though and it seems to be promoted by a lot of middle easterners. If that adds to the level of shit.

DS4 seems to be a good standard, but I really dont see the point in upgrading from the DS3 controller. What are the benifits?

So people are putting modchips in actual SNESes to hook them up to a PC for a controller adapter? There has to be a better way.

It only cost an original snes controller and a 10 mod chip/chord. Its pretty cheap and fun to do. You can also buy an Ibuffalo snes controller, they aren't that bad.

The gamecube controller was pretty good.

Gamecube controller is great for 3D games, the only downsides imo are:
* The newer gamecube controllers Nintendo sells have awful shoulder buttons, aren't made like the old ones were
* D-Pad is awful, so it's a terrible controller for 2D games.

You're that one guy that plays waku waku 7, aren't you? I tried it out and it's pretty awesome

I wish there was a modded GameCube controller that had the Wii/DS dpad instead.

get a hori pad, that or use the wii u pro with nintendont

Its pretty crazy how shitty third party controllers really are.

there are some good brands out there, even shit brands have made good controllers once in a while.

use dolphin's controller setup

Nintendo had a patent on what was essentially the dpad in that stereotypical "cross" design, which is why everyone else could only legally use a shitty circular one (the patent since expired in 2005): google.com/patents/US4687200

Asshole cat knocked beer on my Filco Convertible 2 and there's too many keys sticking even after airblasting. Is it true you can just soak the keyboard and let it dry for a month or will that not work because the shit is bluetooth?
Dug out some old corsair red in the meantime but I really really miss blues.

It had one of the worst d-pads ever made, the C-stick is gimped, and the face button layout has the same amount of buttons as SNES and the later controllers that copied it, except you can't hit B at the same time as any button except A without making a claw. It also lacks a ZL which is stupid, and Z should have been on the left anyway, if you were only going to have one Z, since you'd normally be pressing it with your left hand on N64. At least be consistent with it. The Gamecube controller is objectively bad. But at least it doesn't waste 1/3 of the inputs at any given time like the N64 controller does.

Slightly better dpad, significantly better triggers, macropad for all your extra keybind needs, better sticks, and way nicer ergos. That said, if your DS3 isn't giving you any problems, there's no massive rush to upgrade. The new DS4 is on sale for $48 though. amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWVX2RG

I guess you never tried games like Killer Instinct Gold

just popping in to say that the 8bitdo Crissaegrim has a fuckin unbelievably satisfying d-pad if you're an emucuck like me

Well i do play every now and then but not consistently, i like using Teese mostly, but yeah it's a good game although not as deep as i'd like

muh terran

pls no, just get a wiiu pro if you're a dpad snob.

I once heard of nip 2hoe players loving the Saturn controller.

Anybody have a link to a functional adapter?

amazon.com/Mayflash-Sega-Saturn-Controller-Adapter/dp/B0089O10BC

Wii U pro controller would be my go to controller if I could find out how to get it to work on my PC. Wanna play some DC games but currently don't have a Xbox controller and the xinput doesn't work with my Gamecube controller, so my only option is an N64 pad.

Sega Saturn model 2 controller is still the best 2D controller crafted.

Must not have tried very hard. wiinupro.com/home

Dualshock 4 isn't 100% perfect but has everything I could need for emulators or PC games & then some.

Spotted the manlet with girly hands.

any low price controllers to recommend for pc

looks great and has a cool name, but too small for tiny trump hands

dualshock 3 is what i used before i got the controller i posted in . ds3 is good because it's got enough buttons for virtually any game, and drivers for it are piss-easy to find nowadays. you can even rig up the sixaxis if you really want to (i can see that being useful for looking in a direction independent of movement, like in arma or something i guess)

as most have surmised i do have tiny manlet hands though so the crissaegrim may not work for you

Define low price, because below ~$45 you aren't going to get anything good.

There's the 360 controller, but the d-pad is shit and the thing feels cheap anyway.

Going cheap with a PC gamepad isn't worth it. Go all the way and get a DS4/Logitech/Wii U Pro, or do your own thing if you find something that works for you.

I think the Dualshock 4 has given me a permanent click in my wrist.

Heh, what? I've got one from 2014 and the presses are very positive. But yes, the F310's saturn pad clone is excellent and is the one redeeming thing about logitech's controllers.
I'm going to assume you never clean your controller and have greasy hands, as your DS4's face buttons should again, have very solid, springy presses. Do note that the rubber membrane in the F310 under the buttons wears quickly, and your buttons will soon be rattling like box of tic tacs.
I'd say the ergos are definitely worse than the DS4, but that's personal preference so I can't fault you on that.
You need to take your DS4 apart and clean it. That doesn't happen when you don't have dust and skin gunk in your pad.
They won't once you start noticing that disgusting input lag :^)
Besides the dpad, it's just a shitty gamepad all around.

You need to take your DS4 apart and clean it. That doesn't happen when you don't have dust and skin gunk in your pad.

the DS4 controller is was new out of the box and had those issues.

I would have taken advantage of Amazon's generous return policy and returned the fucker. That absolutely should not happen.

Thread, survive.

I'd go with wiiupro or ds4. Logitech has pretty bad deadzones.

I say go with the Ds3, its easy as shit to set up and you don't need any back program running. Plus its super cheap, and the controller is actually really good. I dont under stand all the dpad hate, works great for me.

literally why?

Ds4 is
LITERAL
Garbage.
Go back.

the dualshock series is pretty bad, but the ds4 is pretty good.

The Xbone S controller is pretty good.

Vita has this gen's best dpad, Xbone S is second place.

Anyone know of a good controller on the cheap with a good d-pad?

Read the thread.

Nah, Ds3 is awesome. Casuals need not apply.

I did, its people bitching about the Ds4, some tiny $50 controller for small hands and something about a third party snes controller.

do you have a ps3 controller?

No a third party usb rockcandy 360 controller that I got for $20. Its alright but the d-pad is shit.

all preference really. I find the dpad on the Ds3 fine.

Best Controller.

Is this a good alternative? I also would like to have something for my N64 and Saturn controllers.
amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZBHXEO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never use an adapter, but that is just from personal experience. Lag lag lag.

nothing like those god awful triggers and pathetic d-pad. Have you ever used a saturn pad or are you just defending your bad choices at this point?

Never had a problem with lag. I used a PS2 racing wheel with a PS2 to USB adapter. If there is any lag it's not big enough for me to notice.

are you also playing on an lcd?

OPs snes controller is a japanese pad called ibuffalo. i have one and can vouch for it. the d-pad is comfy and the buttons are delightfully clacky. my one criticism is that that i feel the B and Y buttons feel a little too far away from one another (so in games such as mario where you need to hold Y to run and tap B to jump, it feels difficult for me), but i haven't held an official snes controller in years so that might just have been how the original was. and having big hands helps.

I press a button, and an action occurs as soon as I press the button. I don't need precision down to the exact millisecond.

I'm saying this may have distorted your perception by becoming adjusted to the sluggishness of LCD displays.

I still use my CRT for games.

I bought some shitty chinese knockoff USB PS1 controller on a yard sale, but it's fucking wonky. Doesn't work pretty well with Xpadder.

Are there other software alternatives I could use? I honestly don't know much about controllers for PC.

The triggers are fine and so is the dpad. Get your head out of you ass and yes, I have used a saturn "dpad". Its garbage. Kill yourself.

lol

on the other hand, the buttons of my logitech cordless rumblepad 2 still work well after all these years (had it long before I got F310), though I'd prefer to not use wireless
the rumble feature might be bust though, but I don't really care about that

don't buy logitech products m8.

Yeah, I would upgrade the Ps4 controller, but doesn't really see worth it. No idea why everyone shits on its dpad and size, but it works even with my big hands. Xbox controller have and always will be garbage. Fuck of microshit shills, go install more crap from windows 10. Wii u Pro controller is good, but no analog buttons.

So for anyone concerned, get Ps4,Ps3 or Wii U Pro controller for PC.

The best controller for PC at the moment is probably either a Dualshock 4 or WiiU Pro. I don't know how great the compatibility with the Pro is with PC but I know the DS4 works flawlessly out of the box on not only USB but also Blutooth A lot of retards think you need third party programs to use the Blutooth, you don't. Just hold the PS button and the share button at the same time when scanning for Blutooth devices on Windows default Blutooth paring page

The PS3 controller isn't bad, but it isn't good either. The ergonomics were not only a complete afterthought, they were nonexistent. It was just a rehashed Dualshock 2 with wireless and USB capabilities

Which isn't that big of a problem. How much is a Ps4 controller anyways? I have no plans of unplugging for I would be using it on my PC for sidescrollers/platformers. I heard the battery life is crap, but no matter. Really wish I could get one of these.

No idea, I got mine 4free from a buddy of mine because the rubber on one of the control sticks kind of tore from abuse. Works fine for me though and patching it was easy as fuck. I hear they're like 60 bucks new though

$50 tho

The Xbone wireless controller on Windows
IF IT FUCKING WORKED

$40 on Frys and Ebay for Black Friday.

if it wasn't so pricey i'd be more interested.
$25 is about the most i want to spend on a controller, as a result i usually have scrap parts to fix good ones i pick up.

Please, Arina was mai waifu back when I was like 14.

so what do I buy?

Eh, reading through the thread. Your best bet is either a Ps4, Xbone, or Wii U Pro. Seems to be a personal preference thing.

Xbone controller S works.
On bluetooth
On windows only

best gc controller.

Reminder the only reason to buy a steam controller is to put on some high quality rips and play it on your controller

we must go deeper