Open world fucks up everything

is the witcher3 really that bad compared to 1 and 2 thanks to focus on open world?
I only played 1 and 2 which I liked (1 more) but from all the gameplay vids it seems to me 3 is severely missing something i cant really describe

also are there any modern games similiar to gameplay feel of 1and2?

Other urls found in this thread:

nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1787/?
nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/750/?
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Said who?

Yes, 3 is fucking garbage, just like 1 and 2.

anons

yes

there's your problem right there

people just want to be contrarian. The game is just different. It has by far the best combat in the game and is one of the few open world games in recent memory with good quest design

I thought it was supposed to be piss easy combat like Batman level easy.

I'd be rustled if I didn't know any better, but this thread pops up at least once a week.

the game lacks a counter button. It plays similarly to TW2 except they let you strafe in combat and added a sidestep button to move to the side of attacks

Witcher 3 was bad because it was Borderlands with swords, and that's pretty much the extent of the thought that went into the "open world". The other main reason is Ciri, but gameplay wise, it's largely because CDPR decided for the game be open world and didn't know the first fuck about making such a thing.

yeah that seems from the vids main problem, seems like its spam of light/heavy attacks or just click one button to do the whirlwind shit that cuts everything around
I dont remember 2 being that bad with combat

bullshit they are barely thread about witcher

It's the best rpg made in the last 10 years. I dare you o name a better one

The Witcher 2's combat was broken and was mostly fixed in 3 by allowing Geralt to actually strafe while targeting enemies. Which made actually focusing on opponents so much easier

Since a huge problem with 2 was how weak the player was especially at the start and how often you're forced into confrontations where you have to kill a bunch of dudes. It doesn't help that you take something like 200% damage if you get hit from behind and won't be able to remove that until much later on in the game.

I think he means that it's borderlands due to the fact that player skills means nothing, only character skills. That bandit is 10 levels higher than you thats why it takes literally 100 sword blows to kill him. The tactics remains the same, spamming fast attack.
The story and narrative parts in W3 was great though

I stand by my statement, fuckboy.

It's pretty good, actually.

t someone who loved 1,liked 2

Let's be honest: big spaces with nothing in it are retarded, period.
If your open world has nothing in it then it's fucking pointless, just do a classic railroad if all the quests are railroads across a giant map with nothing in it.

Fallout New Vegas did this the right way: you follow your quest, do your shit and in this open world you come across caves with loot, buildings, gangs, side stories and so on so forth.

Then you look at Skyrim who has a giant fucking nothing and the few things it has you can't interact until you take railroad quest number 1.

They made some really retarded decisions and used the open world as an excuse, like potions that only last 20 seconds, toxicity that doesn't mean anything because it goes down too fast and a minimap that you end up spending most of your time looking at because it's filled with markers and shit.

Luckily there's mods to fix all of those issues and they work pretty well, the mod that replaces the minimap for floating markers really makes a huge difference, I still wish the game was designed in such a way that you wouldn't need a map or markers at all though.

its literally the worst game ever made

No it fucking isn't, it's a run-of-the-mill WRPG.
Pic related

Slavs haven't made a single good game since 1984.

all games are terrible didn't you know

1 was great

no, its one of the better games to come out this year
many anons on here just don't like it cos its popular with the mainstream and they are edgy contrarian faggots

Dark Souls

How are any of those 3 related to the open world at all and how are they excusing them with it? Those are bad decisions on their part indeed but they have nothing to do with the game being Open World, especially when the very first game also had a minimap with markers and even a map you could open with even more markers.

Sounds a lot like you want to blame open world games and you'll use any argument, even unrelated ones against it, which is ironic considering you could easily find some without having to make them up.

Witcher 3 is way better than 1 and 2 objectively.

They don't

Only potion toxicity goes down fast which is necessary for balance because of how many alchemy tree skills depend on toxicity

Have some self control then. A game of Witcher 3's scale simply cannot work without markers and fast travel.

For good reason. You can't make a thread about any game on Holla Forums without autistic edgelords coming in to shitpost.

the combat in witcher 3 just shows cdpr learned nothing from witcher 2 with its ridiculously inconsistent animation lengths. CDPR has been a studio with no real direction for some time now, and it's clear as day they have no fucking clue how to make a game properly.

it's a year old game you tastless slavic faggot, and kill yourself for having no taste

hey, could you please link those really good mods? thanks

I struggle to think of a game that someone that calls TW3 straight up bad would ever find good.

Says who? I liked Earth 21X0 games, 2150 especially.

No kurwa, you're different. Or special. Or whatever the fuck the current politically correct term for a goddamn retard is.
How is hunting down ??'s on the map any different from your average ass creed or any ubi openworld cancer?

Chase the mary sue. Amazing design tbh

Witcher3 is good, not great.

What breaks the game is how lackluster the hunting mechanic is, initially it would be some really immersive experience, like a visual and auditive representation of what a witcher feels. Final product became just a clutch, you hit a button,l shit glows and you follow them to the next glowing shit until you find the bad guy.

Every other aspect of the game is the same as 2, save for combat that is a LITTLE better.

you need to go back to the old peoples home herb, let the young people have their fun talking about post 1995 vidya

No. It's just average or above average. The open world was a mistake - most of the map is just procedural nothing, with a few mobs thrown in here and there - making exploration unrewarding and worsening the whole experience.

Mafia is awesome

You must be 18 or older to use this site.

Earth 2150 and it's expansions is still one of the best RTS games ever with unique concepts of it's own.

If you want to be constantly assaulted by random mobs at every step, maybe try Borderlands?
I also remenber that the first one had mobs showing up on sensible locations where you'd expect to find them so you had to go look for them in case you wanted to hunt something.

Please do tell me how making mobs stationary in a location that makes sense for them and forcing you to look for them makes exploration unrewarding when it seems to do the precise oposite of that.

Witcher was never good.

Thanks for advice, I'll have fun playing games instead. Going back to Master of Magic now.

well reading others criticisms it seems quest are mostly just fetch shit

Sidequests and the dlc shit are generally fine but the main quest arc is just garbage.

I remember cdpr said they reworked the potions because of the open world, since you could supposedly get ambushed while exploring so you couldn't prepare, so they made potions that only last for a bit but you can pause and use them in the middle of combat.

Do you have a source for that or should I just take your word for it?
Because that sounds like bullshit, you're supposed to prepare yourself before you go exploring and CDPR would know this as it was their phylosophy for previous Witcher games. Short potion duration wouldn't help at all with ambushes either especially when you have a limit on how many potions you can chug at a time and a limited number of them that only refills by resting (you can't carry around 54 Swallos for easy fights)

The duration and toxicity of potions seems to be tied to your skills as well so everyone complaining about 30 seconds just never bothered to upgrade them.
This complain seems very non-sequitur, how would short duration potions help with open-world or ambushes, when they are still limited by how many you can carry and how many you can drink? It's more likely they wanted to give more value to player progression and alchemy skills so they nerfed it's base duration to make those skills actually feel important.

Do you remember how they worked in W2, aka you having to rest to drink (most of) them?

Witcher 3 is a good game, not great. Combat is nothing to write home about, but it's better than 2. I'm not sure why people complain about the map markers when you can turn them off in the options. I did that in my first playthrough (I always go through all the options when starting a new game) and it made coming across stuff in the open world pretty enjoyable. The DLC is good too. Witcher 1 is still my favorite though.

You would have to rest to drink potions, which you couldn't do during combat obviously AND they would wear off during cutscenes, which there were several instances of that throughout the game. The alchemy system is much improved in 3. I liked the brewing system in 1, because you could make anything if you new which combo of ingredients to use, and the secondary ingredients for bonus effects was cool. Refilling potions just by resting cuts down on a lot of gathering which is nice I guess.

And makes alchemy builds OP as fuck. I prefer a mix of old and new with nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1787/?

shit wrong link nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/750/?

idk, maybe its cause KB+M is shit for Third Person Fighters, but I couldnt get into Witcher 1. I think even WITH controller support the Witcher 1's combat was god awful. like I get it, its turn based but LOOKS like its hack and slash, but it was still pretty ass.

I'm a couple hours into Witcher 2 and its much more enjoyable, but both games kinda do a terrible job of explaining whats going on and what you're supposed to be doing…

I've yet to play W2, only got to play W1 and a bit of W3.

I did found it weird in W3 that you "unlocked" rather than craft potions. You have something like 3 charges for a potion that you coul drink at any time and they'd recharge when you rested.

This coming from W1 where I'd only leave the town after mass producing a lot of oils and potions for use in the wilderness was a bit jarring for me (perhaps not as much to W2 players) but I understood the idea there. Potions would be unlocked by exploring the world as they needed some component you could only get later on, like the first healing potion needing a chemical you only got from some undead you found afterwards, you'd have to hunt for those ingridients just like in the first Witcher, but you wouldn't have to farm them, which is a good move. Farming shit is not fun.

The idea of charges and short duration however was the strangest thing at first. I liked long durations, especially after playing Oblivion\Skyrim where potions barely last or do anything unless you severely powergame. But then I noticed the idea was that you wouldn't be able to spam healing potions to win a fight (like in any TES game) since you'd have limited charges while at the same time you'd use your buffing potions more often as you didn't really wasted anything, you could regain charges later on.
The alchemy skill tree suddendly became something more important and interesting that I could acutally place value on, and I'm sure you can get back the Witcher1 durations and power that potions have if you properly invest on it.

I miss the advanced alchemy from the first where you could make the same potion but with interesting side-effects if you got the right materials to mix. Not having to farm ingridients is nice but I wish they included that system, allowing you to "re-spec" your potions when you rest at the expense of having to farm those materials again.

Oh, so it's business as usual. Just people that play the tutorial segment for the game only complaining about features they never explore. Should have figured it.

You for real? Nigger, you can't even pick the alcohol used for refilling the potions without heavy modding. And even that doesn't work most of the time.

There's also the strike to increase potion length skill that allowed you to be invincible, the removal off nearly all books and W1 tier sources of recipes in favor of a obnoxious scavenger hunt. And my favorite: the forty gorillion weightless drowner brains

I've played alchemy build vanilla and modded. Vanilla is OP. CDPR even had to release a patch because if you picked the right skills you could literally just have infinite stamina and spin to win absolutely anything.

that sounds really good, thanks. got any more great mods?

W1 had shit use for magic and alchemy outside of some specific encounters. W2 made them far more valid. W3 shat on the magic but made alchemy extremely potent and open to exploits. Not that it's much of a problem in a singleplayer.

The brewing (crafting) system is godawful. The skill/perk system is not any better.

You automatically use alcohest which is something the game practically drowns you in.

Nobody praises W1 combat for a reason, user. It's a very unconventional system that doesn't feel as satisfying as other games if you try to play it as an action game.

The point of the game was preparation and understanding your enemy. If you went to a fight with the right oil, buffed by the right potions and picked the right sword and combat style, your odds of winning would be incredibly amazing even if you were just flaying your sword around like a retard, and it was that preparation that made the game fun.

Best example is when you finaly reach the sewers and find the chimeras in a small isle. The first time you meet them, you're severly underpowered and unprepared to fight against them. You can try but you'll be killed all the time. Later on, you get the right oil against that particular monster and some other usefull difference. When you go back there, you cleave through them like they were trash mobs and it's the best feeling after being crushed so often by them before.

Also story. The Witcher setting is a very interesting and unique one and it's fun to read on it, listen to characters and see the story unfold while trying your damn best to stay neutral. What other game allows you to compliment the Lady of the Lake's ass?

Yes, alchemy in 3 is better than 2 and worse than 1.

It uses Alcohest to refill potions and you find that literally everywhere in almost every single crate in the game, and 1 alcohest refills everything. It is a literal impossibility to run out of Alcohest.

Dark Souls or Bloodborne, probably

Decoctions replace potions for long term effects. They also cost a lot of toxicity which limits your in combat usage of potions. The potion are meant to be used while in combat and have abilities which suits them(invincibility, faster regeneration, regeneration even when taking damage, regenerating health when poisoned, black blood,slow motion when a target is killed and so on)

Except when you don't and that cat randomly drinks up your sole bottle of nilfgaard lemon.
Also, wasn't magically distilled booze kinda super rare/expensive? And what happened to item descriptions?

Have you actually played the game?

Have you?

How pathetic do you have to be to make shit up about a game you haven't even played?

You're shitposting in defense of a objectively mediocre AAA openworld crpg on a half dead mongolian weaving imageboard. I'd say we're well past pathetic.

Go back

I didn't know there was a modding community behind 3. It's a bit of a shame to make alchemy even worth while is to invest heavily into the skill tree. Thanks. I'll have to try this out when I bother playing through all the games at some point.

Found it.

wccftech.com/witcher-3-wild-hunt-alchemy-system-explained-details-refined-accessible-system/

On a related issue, I never understood how alchohol refills potions, does Geralt just drink booze and then his piss turns into a magic potion?

we had those while back
for example I still have some saved and I wont rename just because someone is getting triggered

The expansions are really good.

It's a Unix filename you grade-A tier fagmaster; they show what time they were saved at. That filename is after we switched to base 16.

I was hoping the r/the_donald kids would go away after the election.

Check my other post nigger

How the flying fuck can you people have been on imageboards for so many years yet never notice the filenames continually increase in number? That one is way past the point of us dropping Unix timestamps

Is this satire? This is on the level of toddposting.

The highest I have from Holla Forums in my folders I didn't rename is 1471XXXXXXXXX, if I didn't pay attention to it right now then I wouldn't have noticed.

Compared to 1 and 2 it's fine, but compared to good games it is absolute dogshit just like the rest of the Witcher games.