Blizzard co-founder thinks Warcraft 1 and 2 "aren't fun anymore

During a panel at this past weekend's BlizzCon, a fan asked if Blizzard had any plans to remaster the Warcraft series' first two games. Unfortunately for that fan and anyone else who wanted them, Blizzard co-founder Frank Pearce said there are no plans at this time (via Eurogamer).
Pearce explained how Blizzard is fortunate enough to have access to the original source code and assets, but he says it's "really hard to access that stuff, unlock it, and figure out how it all works."
"We had some dedicated folks that were passionate about the idea, dig up the Warcraft 1 assets and code," Pearce continued. "They got it working and they got it running in a window. And I played it. Warcraft: Orcs & Humans was awesome for its time. I promise you, in today's world, by today's standards, it's just not that fun any more."

archive.is/dFEBy

Other urls found in this thread:

upatch-hd.weebly.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He's right, those aged like pure ass.
WC3 is where the fun is at

RTS was never fun.

So fucking open source it and the assets, but leave the IP itself in the hands of Blizzard

Activison-Blizzard can't afford having people making money off of their IPs. Even if they aren't planning on making off of those.

Warcraft 2 has been ported to the Stratagus engine so you can play it in 1080p if you want to. It's mostly just a formality for them to sell it now.

No profit in that, goy.

To be fair it was probably programmed in x86 assembly code and nobody there has touched that shit in 20 years.

Pls user, no one likes to see anons doing it for free.

WC and WC2 weren't that gud, though. They were certainly decent and are probably worth remastering just for completeness' sake but WC3 is where it's at.

well yeah, the games aged like milk, at the same time, i don't want neoBlizzard to remake them and add in a bunch of eSports shit to it.
Hell, i don't even want a warcraft 4 game because i know it will be complete shit. Just let the series die it's somewhat honorable death.

What a surprise

They do have a point.
Those 2 games aged poorly, especially Warcraft 1.

They should release the code tough, I dont care about a remaster but some people might want to do it themselves.

This is not the old id software we are talking about here. This is the company that took one of the most iconic RTS franchises and turned it into gookclick spectacle.

Warcraft 1 is inferior to Warcraft 2, but I would still have liked to see a proper re-release of Warcraft 2. But if that meant eSports shit, than as user said - let series die honorably. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 were warning enough.

They aged horribly tbh

WC3 aged better, albeit worse writing

warcraft 1 had horrible controls tbh
warcraft 2 was good though

WC3 is fucking awful compared to 1 and 2. Fucking game can't decide if it wants to be an RPG or an RTS, fails at both. If you want an RTS you play any of the earlier games or starcraft. If you want an RPG you play something else entirely.

This post based on the campaigns. I have no experience with (any) warcraft's multiplayer

AOE 2 never aged though, greatest RTS of all time. Of all time.

but wouldnt a remaster make them fun?

The people who buy and play blizzard games today are not the same who bought them back in those days.

Warcraft 1 is shit by today's standards

i guess i dont exist then

We can hope

not if i can help it

That still burns them to this day, they will never risk that happening again. They don't give a fuck about their fans if they can potentially monetize the Next Big Thing coming from their assets.

Did they give you a sheet of key phrases and responses?

nigger have you played the first warcraft?
compared to the second one, or to a generic rts like aoe2, the controls are horrible

which i guess is why the fan asked if there were plans for a remaster. the only thing that stops me from enjoying warcraft 1 today is that shitty old interface.
there hasnt really been a great rts in a coons age unless you count ai war which is so different its hard to lump it together with bonafide rts, so what better time to re-release a game that might be considered mediocre and pander to nostalgia?

they hate money, especially when it's earned honestly
we're never gonna get a finished version of the lord of the clans
and if we ever get a remake on any of the earlier games, it will definitely be worse than the original

Other than the one-unit selection I'm not sure what you're talking about.

To be fair, they'd have to add a metric ton of comfort features to both in order for gamers used to more modern titles not to have a stroke:

Also kinda unrelated, but before they would remake Warcraft 1 and 2, I want a remake of Age of Empires 1.

Ideally not by the people who did the HD Edition of Age of Empires 2, because that shit still is buggy as fuck.

hd version wasn't that bad
it just mildly fucks up the performance by a lot when playing with more than 1 enemies
i got another version of the game from the share threads, with the forgotten installed, and fuck me it ran better than the steam one

warcraft 2 doesnt have it either.
honestly, i tend to prefer old blizzards music over the soft orchestrated stuff from warcraft 3 and wow. a lot of that stuff just blends together for me. i feel lost and confused when people tell me how great those soundtracks are. i dont know if theres just something wrong with my ears and im missing half the notes.
well, i would hope in this purely theoretical game they would try to stay faithful to the old vibrant styles.

Get out.

i don't play rts vidya that much
just aoe2, metal fatigue and warcraft games
sue me

Well no shit they wouldn't re-release their old games, never have, never will. Also War1 would need to have its controls updated, could only select 4 guys at once and in order to move them you had to press the 'M' key then click.
Wa2 would only need smarter AI, more player slots and the ability to select more than 9 guys at once.

Maybe I'm just too young, but WC2 music just felt overly cartoony and cheesy to me.

i think he means remake

Objectively true but it doesn't have to be.
Warcraft 3 base game sold well over 5 million copies, Diablo sold over II 15, and Starcraft sold well over 10.
Each of their major franchises have sales numbers that slaughter everything except CS, The Sims and Minecraft in the PC market.
Activision's only competitive IP is Call of Duty, and it gets fucking dwarfed by Diablo especially when comparing Diablo 2, Diablo 3, and Diablo pound for pound with three CoD games. Granted, there's a fuckload more than three CoD games.
The market's fucking there. None of their three IPs were overly juvenile until they made them juvenile, if they make it ready and available, people will buy in.
Instead they chose
I'm not even panning them on that, really. It's paid off generally speaking.
With Activision-tier marketing, WC, WC2, WC3 packaged, polished, and quiet allusions to WC3's custom game community, all together? It'd sell like hotcakes.
Knowing Blizzard they'll muh bnet 2.0 it and kill any chance of a long-lasting community, but it'd still sell damn well.

this has proven to be an exceptionally poor idea
I'd be OK with them adding a tutorial mission just to explain to actual retards how to move, but there's nothing wrong with precise control methods over easy ones
you might as well smash your head against a brick wall

Yeah but you just know the guy played the game and went

The article isn't even about remaking Warcraft 1/2. They might one day do that once the IP fades into obscurity.

Re-releasing is what it's talking about. It's why the source code is brought up.

Why not release the fucking source code and assets if you're not gonna do fuck with it. For fucks sake, let fans and autists rebuild it.

WC1 was kind of awkward to play, sure. WC2 would probably be alright. They were pretty simple though even compared to Starcraft. Bringing it back now would probably just result in everyone using the same cookie cutter strategy.

WC3 campaigns had too many gimmicks and too much scripting trying to tell the story. Half the levels ended up feeling more like puzzles than fights.

sure, thats one way to put it

Warcraft 2 has been ported to a new engine. It's mostly irrelevant for Blizzard to port it. It's just a formality for them to sell it at this point.

tbh idk fam smh xDDDD

user, if you don't remake it, whats the point of rereleasing it?
i can just download it from somewhere

you're forgetting

1. Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 2 were originally released on DOS. Warcraft 2 did have a Windows 95 port but I don't know if it's compatible with modern Windows. You need to run them in DOSBOX to play them nowadays. Except Warcraft 2 because you can run it in an engine port.

2. The games were locked to tiny resolutions like 640x480. The only way around this is to run Warcraft 2 in Wargus

3. Online multiplayer wasn't a thing for Warcraft 1 and was a thing for Warcraft 2 but doesn't run anymore.

4. It's far easier to get people together to play Warcraft 2 if it's sold on a store than if you need to send them a cracked .exe and give them a tutorial on how to install it.

5. Potential tablet support

if you mean battle.net edition i just played it a month ago thanks to a nep roll. i had to play with compatibility settings but it ran pretty great after i got it sorted out.
the way the map scrolled by tiles instead of smoothly really fucked with my head for a while.

How did those peasents got in the woods without cutting the trees?

How did those farms got in the woods without cutting the trees?

it bugs the crap out of me how the gryphons body is where your player color is indicated for that unit. i always get the image in my head that theyre wearing yoga pants

I'm 25 and I've never played war craft or star craft.

should I play it?*

if you want aggressive rts and can deal with a slightly outdated interface.

Original Starcraft is a treat.

Is this the same fag that thinks that Mobile Gaming is the way forward, and he wants Warcraft 4 to be a phone release? If it is then it's safe to take his opinion discarded like the garbage it is.

a port only benefits gamers. They won't release this game port because it makes them look bad, since their new kike products are mediocre by comparison.

WC1 and 2 were never fun, and 3 was only fun because of custom maps.

Start at 2 or 3. Play campaigns, download a few SP UMS and mods, have fun, convince buddies if you want to play more fun maps.
Play original campaign and then brood war campaign in that order to get the full story and see some of the best moments in the game, then either
very few SC maps that are good are SP.
I would highly recommend both.
One of my few regrets as far as videogames go is not saving my UMS folder, I lost well over 4000 maps collected over 10 fucking years.

Here's a list of the shit I enjoyed the most in Starcraft especially
Quite a few of these are extremely good, some not so much. Can be SP, don't recommend it.
You're aliens! You crashed! Grind and survive increasingly difficult enemies, become the xeno you always wanted to be. Some are very good, some aren't, a number of variants.
Every variant is amazing. Challenging to a point, mostly a team sandbox to try to survive waves of cops and break grocery store items to get new weapons. Actually a good way to practice single-unit micro.
I spent a lot of time devtesting for this so I'm pretty biased, 7-player map in which you have a trainer who guides around, swaps out, and battles with 6 other players inhabiting units. Fun experience if a bit too rough at certain parts, plays pretty closely to the real thing except with real-time team battling. Not to be confused with Pokemon Trainers, shitty-ish maps where you kill units to "catch" them and use those units to kill other units to kill the enemy team of trainers eventually
Caterpiller in Starcraft and super well done on a few variants
The ones I remember have you capturing points to gain resources and shit, fun take on the real HOMM
By far the best Civilization knock-off. You'll notice a lot of "games that aren't starcraft in starcraft", usually playing in Starcraft adds a real-time stint to it and/or is just entertaining for the concept: line up 8 other players for real-time Risk far easier than normal, tabletop Risk. Not so true, anymore…
Finally, a few I remember but probably no longer "exist"
Not sure if I'm naming this right, it was a game in which you pick a hero, fight and kill other heroes to get minerals, then use those minerals to upgrade your stats or 'level up' your unit to the next tier. Every once in awhile it forced everyone into a deathmatch and later variants added NPCs to fight, the Y2K bug, and 'challenge zones'. Any other SCanon still around?

Play Command and Conquer instead.

You have good taste, but no Panzer Kavalier? That guy made some sick stuff.

I was never too into anything warmicro past WWNormandy
fuck me now I'm remembering shit like

Normandy was the shit. A few years back I even tried to get a bunch of friends around to play Raccoon City, but we got rekt.

FUCK
that shit
surefire sign you're in for a fucking ride as every unit you're fighting 2shots your paperweight 'hero'
I'm pretty OK with having players on both sides though, Helms Deep or Heaven's Gates maps had major problems but the hilarity of the "always loses" guys being able to cheese it out in that way or this way made them interesting

Ah, never mind then. Opinion discarded.

I did save mine though. Would anyone be interested if I uploaded them? WC3 is mostly vamp, LOAP, TDs etc. SC1 had a little more variety but I came in late to the scene.

WC3 maps aren't documented very well and any folder you have from

In 2 years, replace Warcraft with Overwatch.

Do you mean for TF2 or…?

No, he means the founder will be saying Overwatch isn't fun anymore, two years from now.

They have to remake rock and roll racing first, but modern Blizzard will find a way to fuck it up somehow.

If it miraculously stops making money in two years time and they have to close down servers, I'm sure that will be the first explanation they go to.

Seriously, where are all these Blizzcucks coming from?

It will in 2 years, one of the things that made tf2 a must-have was its exploitable as fuck Source engine

I think you're underestimating the sheer stupidity and willingness to play the same game that casuals have.

upatch-hd.weebly.com/

Why you have to remind me that Blizzard can be worse than Nintendo? Their Activision association is a big turn off.

Didnt they still use icons from it?
I am sure, these cheap fucks still milking wc3 for icons because they are too greedy to make anything new.

Warcraft 1 and 2 was fucking shit and WC3 is not even a RTS and it is the reason MOBAs killed online games

He's right. Warcraft 3 is still fun. Why would you play the first 2 when 3 is so good?

wew

Isn't the point of Blizzard nostalgia about atmosphere? Because their current games have absolutely fucking rubbish tone, and not just when compared to the old ones. It's literally fucking facebook-tier.

That sounds incredibly not profitable. You don't get to being a multimillion dollar company by doing things just because you can.

I wonder how assblasted they are about that to this very day?

After Hearthstone and Overwatch, not very, I imagine.

Mission accomplished I guess.

You're not far off. Getting young blood into the industry is a particularly common practice in tech, particularly in the game industry. Basically, this means that people going in will have more experience with more modern programming languages, for rather obvious reasons. Also is probably why there's more SJW shit in vidya nowadays as well.

He's right though.

In WC1 you can only control 4 units and trying to control an army is a fucking mess.
The second game is much more bearable in this regard, since you can move around 9, however, the maps are significantly larger and usually force you to fight annoying sea battles which only prolong the play time by forcing you to farm oil for a long while.

Warcraft 3 got it just right – plenty of units can be controlled, no sea battles and all maps as big as they need to be for the mission.

If anything, we should be asking for remakes, but everyone knows how incompetent modern Blizz is, they'd never be able to do it right.

They made a TF2 clone over it.

It was written in Watcom C and probably did have some assembler written in wasm. It's essentially the same as DOOM using DOS/4GW.

It would require a lot of reworking to bring up to date.

bullshit

I mean that is probably exactly how they think, but that is complete bullshit.

holy shit all the kids in this thread suicide yourselves.

Funny since W3 is where the cancer started.

WC2 is cartoony as fuck, you're talking out of your ass.

truly a titanical job a multibillion company can't afford

There is no reason at all why any of that can't be updated.

Kill yourself faggot, not even joking, just off yourself and do your parents a favor.

Too hard for me = no strategy

Look at the retards here crying that sc2 has no strategy

mad wc3 baby

Your cartoony criticism is directed at the wrong target.
WC has always been cartoony. The problem was when Blizzard imported WC's cartoony looks into Diablo in it's 3rd installment. This is what was really a mistake.

You think you want it, but you don't

Diablo 2 Battlechest is still sold in retail stores. I just saw it in Walmart the other day. That's a game a decade and a half old.

Also, that's the whole point of these remasterings is to make the game more playable and updating flawed/outdated mechanics. Even Warcraft 3 wasn't perfect in how you were able to control your units, Starcraft has always been way better in that department.

He's not wrong, they haven't aged very well.
Starcraft & Diablo on the other hand are as sweet as ever.

Overall wc1, wc2 and wc3 feel like stepping stones in retrospect. Some parts of WC3 are still great, but a lot of it feels like a proof of concept.
Daily reminder that the old Blizzard is dead.

That sucks, I liked Warcraft 2 a lot and I would love to play it again.

tumblr is now doing the blizzard memes, crippled memes.

An overwhelmed shitshow with the most toxic playerbase.

fuck blizzard stop asking for remasters for them they are still playable and can play online for a lot of them

these games wouldnt be the same when remastered they would be poo

For fuck's sake, Blizzard. Just give us the source code and be done with it, you obviously don't care about the old games. I have recently bought Warcraft 2, I actually hunted down the physical box and it's really fun to play, but it could use some good interface polish.

It isn't fun now though.