Does anyone here actually think Vega will be good? Why can't AMD get their shit together? Like...

Does anyone here actually think Vega will be good? Why can't AMD get their shit together? Like, the RX 480 is so dog shit, and sure it's cheaper than the 1060 6GB, but if you can get the 1060 6GB for a good price why would you even get an AMD card in general? It's not like any real games efficiently support Crossfire or SLI, so the 1060 not being SLI capable just doesn't matter. And we won't see any real use of Vulkan or DX12 for years, and the 1060 outperforms the RX 480 in all DX11 games.

So, what the fuck is AMD doing?

Heh.

More like #BetterDead

Other urls found in this thread:

dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/
gbatemp.net/threads/release-cemu-wii-u-emulator.399524/page-395#post-6241581
tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133631&Tpk=N82E16814133631
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-131-697&cm_sp=PreBlackFridaySale-_-1115-1121-_-14-131-697-_-NA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I mean, back in 2008 the 4870 and 4850 were great cards. What happened?

THE REVOLUTION WILL BE MONETIZED

A better question is why are people still buying expensive top of the line graphics cards when there are no good games to make use of them?

What is today's Crysis, anyway?

I mean hell, even a lot of the aftermarket rx 480s even have a terrible PCB. Just what is this nonsense?

what the fuck is this commie shit

If you could get anything expensive that you wanted for a good price of course you would buy it. But that's not how reality works. You are making a poor comparison.

AMD has always been a shit "value" brand. What are you expecting?

I'll buy one of those 100$ 1050s if mine ever craps out, it can run everything I need it to.

Holy fuck AMD does not even know who to market to

At least they're not even pretending that they no longer care about the enterprise/high end/supercomputing sectors anymore and are just going right ahead to market graphics cards to rebellious teenagers. Instead of, you know, marketing the actually technology in your card and how it will benefit things like big data, parallel computing.etc

This is AMD pretty much just giving up on being a decent hardware company again and targeting gamers exclusively

Better dead than red

Jesus fuck, are we being raided?
Nobody gives a fuck about your console war tier shit nor how much you're a sourgrapes fag that cant even buy a 200 dollar GPU.
Get fucked

Not true K6-Athlon lines were based. Prove me wrong

the gtx 1060 6GB is more expensive, and it performs better in dx11 games (which wills till be a thing) for years to come. Why would I buy trash for 200 dollars if i can get something better? Are you fucking stupid?

For me its backlash for falling for the AMD meme and ending up with really shitty drivers and a "mid-tier" AMD A series APU that barely competed with an i3

Sure

Serves you right for being a retard

Sure AMD is inferior but most people will compromise on stuff as long as it's "good enough" which fits AMDs description.

I myself have a combination of Intel CPU and AMD GPU because i care about good emulation but don't care a lot about running the latest EA or Squeenix game at ultra settings.

I have a gtx 1080 and I use it to play vice city at 4k DSR and a bunch of other downscaled older games with stupid amounts of AA and AO.
Still, its great that fullscreen transparancy effects no longer shit up my framerate

As for todays crysis? witcher 3, I guess. I was buttmad this card couldn't run it at 4k on ultra at a stable 60. Gods I became a graphicsfag quickly.

gotta admit AMD badly fucked up their drivers with that Crimson shit and handing over control of basic shit back to windows

Even on linux the new AMD Pro driver is shit

At least the later isn't so worrying for ubuntu based users since there is no reason to upgrade from 14.04 bliss to the 16.x clusterfuck

Whatever you're doing you're doing it wrong.

As someone who isn't a shill, I think you're a retard if you buy any new graphics card on release. And as someone who has friends with both NVIDIA and AMD cards, I always hear complaints about AMD because games lately are never optimized for AMD cards for some odd fucking reason. Mind you, NVIDIA has had some issues like bricking people's computers with the latest GeForce Driver updates. At this point, both companies have some really bad cons. I wouldn't mind seeing a competitor who actually gives a fuck about consumers and quality at this point.

Personally for now, I'm sticking with NVIDIA. But I'm not updating my drivers immediately with each update because the fuckers can't be trusted anymore. Seriously, always wait for the retards to update their cards and complain. And don't buy any recent cards like the 1000 series until two years later when a price drop occurs.

AMD shill please, your time will come when vulkan is more widespread.

it doesn't work like that m8
Dolphin actually has a great blog post on their experience with AMDs shitty drivers vs Nvidias shitty drivers. Keep in mind Dolphin is self-described as a low-level emulator so this should peak your interest on the issue of "I have the same GPU as this so emulation should be good right?"
dolphin-emu.org/blog/2013/09/26/dolphin-emulator-and-opengl-drivers-hall-fameshame/

I know what you mean user.

So you can play your favorite 2003 game with maximum supersampling at 1440p 144hz of course.
I still have fps issues on some when i do shit like this

what's wrong with 16.x?
besides systemdicks that is

I hope Vega delivers because i need a new videocard and i never got a nVidia since my Gt260 burned the fuck down.But this shit is getting ridiculous both the 480 and the Fury can't even compete, nvidia is going to release the 1080ti in January/February and the 1070 or 1060 are pretty fucking good in performance/price at least where i live

16.x managed to break a lot of software compatibility and force you to use the open source AMD drivers, which were objectively worse than fglrx.

Okay time for autism.

The gfx calls are more compatible to their console counterpart in most cases.

Just look at this example:

gbatemp.net/threads/release-cemu-wii-u-emulator.399524/page-395#post-6241581

The Cemu emulator works in OpenGL and Nvidia fucks up here because they cant do what a AMD GPU does. They don't go out of specification standards. But the real console does it! Because its based on a AMD graphic card.

And this is just one example.

Yes AMD GPUs have their negative sides and are of course not perfect but dont tell me that they are totally wrong for emulation.

That's not how it works. What? GTX 980 (not ti, mind you) are 2 years old but still the same price as they were when first launched. Same for 970s. GPU prices do not drop much.

It's better to upgrade every 3 tiers, the 980 being in the same tier as the 1060 and R9 Fury.

Don't speak on things you don't understand.

I'm getting mixed messages here.

K6 series were not athlons you dipshit
There, I proved you wrong.

It means K6 - Athlons lines of CPUs and you know it. Try again.

Actually yeah, my bad.
It's not that I don't understand. Just trying to give someone a good idea when cards might drop in price. Forgot it took five years before I actually got my new card that's a GTX 900 series. Still, I stand by the fact that you have to wait a while before getting one of these new cards.
Because AMD and NVIDIA are prone to delivering stupidly defective products on release. Like stickers that damage the fans on the MSI GTX970 when removed. I've never done such a thing, but I did some research about the topic.

I came off a bit harsh, my apologies, but mostly cause I didn't want you to give misinformation and then some user who's new to the whole thing ends up dropping a bunch of money on a card that will only perform slightly better.

But yeah, the longer you wait, the more likely you'll get a higher tiered card for cheaper due to the way it works. If you want a 1080 for instance, if you wait a generation or two you'll probably get a slightly better card for significantly cheaper under a new name (such as the 980 to 1060 comparison, the 1060 6GB being both a better card and cheaper to the 980, or the 1070 being better than the 980ti). And the 1060 6GB and 1070 are the only ones in Nvidia's 10x series that are performance-to-price ratio worth it.

Perhaps that's what you meant by waiting 2 years? The only real issue with what you said is "waiting for a price drop" when it is somewhat true, but also not due to the way it's laid out and can be confusing in my opinion. And of course the same goes for AMD.

pretty good gift all things considered. I wish I could get free GPUs.

Also, despite all my shitposting, the RX 480 is a better card performance-to-price ratio than the 1060 6GB, despite it being weaker in the majority of dx11 games. I just like shitposting, and I really want AMD to blow me away but they haven't yet with Polaris, and I don't think Vega will either. Who knows though.

You're making a liot of assumptions based on one advertisement, user.

Can't fucking wait for AMD to die already so an actual competitor shows up and makes Nvidia actually put in some effort (that or Nvidia is split up due to monopoly).

Of course there's always the risk Nvidia jews its way out of the monopoly issue by pointing to mobile/portable markets where they don't own the place.

wouldn't the death of AMD give Nvidia more of a monopoly?
I can imagine the gpu market is pretty tough to just get into.

Monopoly leads to being split up, which would not be a bad thing at all. That said Nvidia could Jew their way out with the aforementioned excuse of "b-but we're not a monopoly, look at these other fields" in which case we'd end up with a monopoly, and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

That said, check the market shares, we're already close to an Nvidia monopoly, it's already pretty bad.

Intel exists so still not technically a monopoly if AMD fucks off the GPU market, just like VIA existing prevent Intel from being a monopoly if AMD fucks off the CPU market.

Yeah, the last attempt at a consumer oriented GPU that wasn't from AMD/NVIDIA/Intel was the S3 Chrome 5xx and you already know how that turned out.

pc gamers have the worst console wars.

How can there even be more than 1 gpu manufacturer. Once you get ahead you can always price your competition out.
If nvidia wanted they coule price their gpus so that amd could never make a profit and go bankrupt, they dont though.
AMD only exists because intel/nvidia want them to exist. Theyre there to keep the antitrust law at bay.

UDA or whatever. AMD has a bad habit of programming themselves into obsolesence. Can you imagine a world where AMD didn't license x86_64 to Intel, or where they didn't give Mantle to Khronos?

nvidia has like 90% market share, no fucking way anyone can compete with them, nvidia is catching up to intel in backstabbing practices

Well, Vega has to be good otherwise they're fucked. Unless they can afford another failing generation just by coasting off the money brought by consoles, or have developed it with such a small budget even selling a handful of units to AMD fangirls is enough for the company to stay afloat.

And IMO one of the largest hole in AMD's lineup is anything good for laptops, which is probably one of the markets that's going to keep growing as desktop behemoths are no longer needed to play games adequately.

this is funny because nowadays it's nvidia that shits the bed with drivers and AMD products that overheat and sound like fighter jets

who the fuck cares my man

bashing amd is internet's favorite hobby. just look at this thread

why cant they show up now?

How bad actually is the 480? I've been looking at getting one, since i saw somewhere that using nvidia with AMD processors leads to problems.

If my budget was £300 what would be a good GPU instead user?

its not that bad. but as usual you will get all the recommendations for 10xx series when asking those questions

It depends on how much you think Vulkan and dx12 would be adopted, as Nvidia is outpeforming in dx11 but not in Vulkan/dx12. But remember, most of dx12 games now are just slightly modified dx11, and only 4 Vulkan games exist currently, so there's not really much of a difference. Given, Win10 is now the most used OS due to the whole free thing, but I don't see devs fully moving over until a few years at the least (same way it happened with dx10-dx11). And there's only two games that I can think of that are really optimized for AMD cards, those being NuDOOM and Shitman.

Black friday is coming up, and I know Newegg and such are already having sales, so I feel like if you can get the 1060 6GB for a little over what you'd pay for a RX 480, might was as well get the 1060 6GB. The 3GB version just isn't worth getting, and I would recommend RX 480 over it.

Also, if you are just wanting to get an AMD card but have a tier close to the 480 and 470, I would wait as well. Here's a small list on the hierarchy right now based on peformance (I would put the RX 480 in the same tier as the 1060 though)

tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

The only one bashing AMD is themselves tbh famalam. Numbers don't lie.

so as a faglord still running a 760 and looking to upgrade this black friday, what's the best bang:buck ratio for an upgrade under $350?

AMD cards work better on Nippon games
Just saying.

Wait until cyber monday you gaydick.

Doesn't surprise me they would try and undersell the 480 as just a 780 Ti since they've always had an Intel/Nvidia lean to the site. I would compare the 480 more to a slightly better 980 right now based on observation. I have a 480, while two other people I know have a 980 and a 780Ti respectively which I've used to benchmark with.

I've been on AMD for a decade and every time I get the urge to switch to NVIDIA, they do something that pisses me off and makes me stick to AMD.

Thankfully I don't have any major driver issues at the moment but a few years ago it was really fucking bad.

1060 6GB or 480 8GB. I would also argue it depends on if you are wanting to get a Freesync monitor or a Gsync one.

Some places are already starting to have sales, just gotta keep an eye out and do your research. Newegg is currently having a sale on aftermarkets of each card, PNY for gtx 1060 6GB and PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GB.
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133631&Tpk=N82E16814133631
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-131-697&cm_sp=PreBlackFridaySale-_-1115-1121-_-14-131-697-_-NA

I remember something about the Red Devil 4x 480 having a worse than reference not being great for overclocking though if you are wanting to do that. I believe the MSI 480s are supposed to be the best aftermarket ones right now.

Yeah, I don't know why they have the 480 in the same tier as the 470. Given, the 480 doesn't do as well as the 1060 and right now most of what can be tested are dx11 games, but the frame difference isn't that much. 480 is still solid for 1080p and more bang for you buck if you're doing a significant upgrade.

I think it's only like a 2-3 frame difference between the 1060 and the 480, it's pretty much negligible. For me upgrading to a 480 from my Nvidia 260 was a massive jump in performance that I had a hard time comprehending the sudden increase in graphical quality.

I was seeing like 4-6 frame difference in some games, even 10 frames behind in gta5 and another one that I can't remember, but the RX 480 having a good 10 frame lead in NuDoom due to Vulkan. That was at launch though and it's been a few months then and we might have looked at different benchmarks.

For me though, if it does 1080p well enough I don't care that much. It's more based on what poison you think will taste better, AMD and Nvidia both having done dumbass jewy shit by now.

Honestly a 8 core cpu that has IPC of atleast broad well will shake things more up.

What AMD needs to is make VM gamng so easy to setup that your mother could do it if she had the money.

AMD would make a ton of money by selling multiple copies of a mid range gpu due to profit margin.

AMD would make a bank if People bought an 8 core CPU and dual mid range GPUs.

Anyone have any recommendations for what kind of build (GPU/CPU in particular) for light 1440p gaming and general use?
Honestly, I'd be okay with setting my games to 720p resolution and playing them upscaled 2x. That's pretty much what I'm doing with my current rig and I don't mind it when games look dated.

What card do you have now?

GTX 780m
Like I said, it's a laptop.

Ah, yeah I misread and though you only wanted a gpu. For 1440p gpus, I know rx 470, 480, and gtx 1060s can do it in some games if not most, and if you have more cash to spare the 1070 is the higher end if you want to play on higher settings. The 480 and 1060 are the sweet spots if you don't care about maxing out settings.

For cpus, I would think the current editions of i5 or i7 are fine (I think they're Skylake now?) And AMD is doing a new line up called "Zen" at some point, but probably won't hear more about it till next year.

And you'll a motherboard, but that's dependent on what kind of case you get and what peripherals you want like USB ports and shit. I just have a cheapo MSI one and it does what I want fine and has crossfire support.

I meant to add make sure your mobo fits your CPU socket type.

Overwatch

What's a good gpu with 6slot power connector? 1060 3gb seems fine, especially for 150.

I don't think the price/performance ratio for the 3gb version is that great, but I can't think of any better cards at that price point.

I can go higher or lower if it has a better ratio.

Some rx 480s and 1060 6gbs are 6 pin too. Just gotta look at the specifications if you're getting aftermarket, reference versions were I know that. 470s are too, but if you're going to get an 8gb one might as well just get the 480 instead.

How well do those 6pin to 8pin adapters work? I see a 4gb 480 for 155.

I have no idea, I've never used one before. My PSU can do both 6 pin and 8pin.

not at all, it's just that when someone picks nvidia they normally have money to burn so they just get what is best to go with it which is intel

Nvidia is the way to go if you are into machine learning stuff. I hope Donald Trump makes tech great again by breaking up these tech companies. Intel, Nvidia, Microsoft, ((( Facebook ))), Amazon, Walmart, ((( Google ))), and the list goes ever on.

nvidia is the way to go if you like spyware with your drivers, is that what you meant?

what if i also want games to work only with my cards?

You can max that out on a cheap card.

AMD is run by a woman.

nvidia is jews

If you want to do 4K wait for the 490, thus if you're going to get the 480 don't get the 8GB because the extra VRAM is superfluous.
I got the MSI RX480 GamingX, it's pretty damn good. Haven't crashed even once, the Vulkan performance on RetroArch was a little shaky at first but it was fixed in later drivers.
It runs most every new game I've gotten my hands on well at 60+ FPS at 1080p.

In terms of Slav tiers of options and graphical settings beyond what current cards can do. Gears 4 and Quantum Break are probably the closest, factually. Not even micro$hilling. They just are. Quantum Break's volumetric lighting and real time Global Illumination is fucking insane and a generation ahead of what we're currently at and it's going to be the next gen of Nvidia and AMD before it runs at Ultra 1080P 60FPS. Never mind 4K and that is with the unfucked Steam version and not the UWP one (Surprise, turns out the game is fucking retarded levels of graphics which is why it ran terribly along with UWP). And Gears 4 requires two 1080's in SLI to max out because it has settings designed for the next gen of cards (And that is one of the most optimized games of the year). Forza Horizon 3 has a shitty port but I'd imagine Forza 7 will be a big Rig Killer as well now it's being designed for PC too.

I know they are all M$ titles but I'll give credit to them for putting games on PC that are pushing hardware and going beyond what the xboner versions are doing than most of the lazy console ports you see from everywhere else. It's just they are realistic about the specs needed and the meme i5/970 combo is not going to get you Ultra 1080P 60FPS guaranteed any more.

If they put Gears 4 levels of Optimization and options into Scalebound. I'll jizz myself raw.

but they don't look that good

what about Metro?

fuggin gommies

And?

This. Modern games are boring unoptimized pieces of shit anyways.

I use mine for rendering/encoding and other tasks I don't want running on the CPU. When I can I'm going to snag a second 980ti and run them in SLI for even more power.

You're not wrong though everything is an unoptimized piece of shit now. The only modern game I even had on my HDD was SFV and that got the axe the day they tried to get me to install the rootkit.

It's AMD's own fault. Their unwillingness to use highly illegal jewish practices like intel does is what caused them to fall behind. Even if they got fined like a few billion, breaking the law for a corporation is always worth it in the long run because it can net hundreds of billions and legal penalties are weak and there is no such thing as justice. Just look at Apple. Tax dodging = $$$$$$$$$$$

That's fair, we'll probably see 490s next year. I mostly recommend the 480 and 1060 cause almost everyone is gaming at 1080p currently, including myself, and they're the cards for it. They can somewhat pull off 4k if you don't care about maxxing out settings like I said above, but if you do the 1070 and eventually hopefully the 490 will be the choices (assuming the 490 is good competition).

CPU is much more important. AMD is the clear loser in that regard, and I hope to g-d Zen kills Jewtel's lead in IPC

No they don't lol. The power efficiency is shit.

At this point AMD is just controlled opposition for Nvidia and Intel.

>>>/reddit/

lol

lol

Wasn't talking about performance but just support, best example is PCSX2, you basically can't use the only proper renderer because AMD has shit support for some OGL 4.x extensions and if you' try to use it anyways you get CTD/shit performance to the point of being unplayable even in native/additional bugs or all at the same time.

did pcsx devs said anything about Zen support?

No reason it shouldn't work, current AMD CPU aren't great for PCSX2 only because their single thread performance is shit, Zen fixes that, the IGP part though probably will still be badly supported.

and then you add up all the MOAR CORES and it still performs worse than a similarly priced intel

An FX8350 is about as good as a 4690k in applications where all cores are used properly.

I know that feel, user. The false choice duopoly is pissing me off. It's like choosing between colon cancer and lung cancer.

Most recent video encoders
Most file archiving programs
POV-Ray

I could post a list of applications where those cores aren't going to be fully utilized, but I think Holla Forums has a character limit and a string of three or four posts in a row seems excessive.

Cool story user

In all honesty, my comment was just making fun of the lack of support for the cores that AMD provides. That much is common knowledge. You provided legitimate answers and I won't argue against that. What I will say is that you can't honestly recommend an FX8350 over a 4690k when you can only list three types of programs that can fully utilize it (especially when none of them involve video games).

The RX480 is good. Being prepared for Vulkan is future proofing. You can better cards at a higher price but that's a silly argument

Why the fuck hasn't AMD released that single-slot RX 460 reference card? They've got an overpriced "Radeon Pro" series with said RX 460 with some shitty blue aluminium covering, and it's also got low-profile support to boot.

Is Holla Forums filled with shills or is it just that it's full of retards?

Oh gee bill, maybe a free market isn't such a bad thing after all. Sure wish I didn't let these corporate cartels get so out of hand!

Don't call it a grave, it's the corporate cyberpunk dystopian future you chose

Who gave you a 980ti for free?