There have ever been a game that changed the gameplay mid-game?

There have ever been a game that changed the gameplay mid-game?
Let's say going from a turn based strategy to FPS….

start as a hack and slash and turn a RTS midway
atleast they were consistent with keeping the game shit

Billions of games had an on-rails side-scrolling shooter section, but i doubt that's what you meant by changing the gameplay mid-game

also furi

Diablo and Diablo clones switch from being "dungeon crawlers" to "fucking pieces of shit" around endgame, I'd call that a pretty radical shift

Nomad Soul.

Space Rangers 2 changes from a turn based spess rpg to a top down arcade shooter to a rts

Also

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

Giants: Citizen Kabuto goes from a TPS to a lite RTS to a sort of Kaiju wreck shit mode.
Very sorry to hear that.

Which is a shitty rip off of Citizen kabuto

Big Bang Age adds a ton of gameplay elements to the out-of-combat sections when you advance from the school area to the city area, and then again when you go from the city stage to the country stage.
It's meant to warm you up to the new mechanics being added, but it feels more like playing a highly advanced sequel of sorts each time you move up.

There's this. SHMUP and adventure.

Didn't Spore change gameplay like five times with each section being completely under-developed , unsatisfying, and puddle-deep mechanically?

ActRaiser switches between not-Castlevania and a god sim RTS.

and a cute robot gril

Holdover was a very challenging metroidvania (with lots of tricky platforming, and LOTS of drowning), but it suddenly turned into a top-down shooter at the very end… which was actually pretty easy, but I remember dying a ton of times when I first played it, because the genre switch came as such a surprise.

And are there any other old folks like me who remember WURM for the NES? Primative FPS, top-down shooter, side-scrolling platform exploration, side-scroller (in a transformable vehicle, no less), all wrapped up in a nonsensical anime sci-fi plot and somehow crammed onto a tiny NES cartridge.

possibly the most vanilla way to apply to what OP was describing, this game allows players to switch between RTS and FPS

Undertale did.

of all the games from the NES era that didn't get a sequel, this is the one that really should have gotten one the most, IMO.

Holdover does NOT become a topdown shooter. There's no weapons at all in Holdover.

Nier changes from Third Person action game to Isometric Action game, Sidescrolling Action game, Bullet hell and then Text Adventure. It goes back to being a Third Person Action game though.
I hope the sequel does similar things, it was fun.

Pic related changes from pac-man to a variant of an FPS then to two different versions of an RTS and then something resembling a 4X game.

And it's utter shit at all of them!

Forgot pic.

noice

what channel?

That game was surpsingly decent, but I never understood the first person command bridge battles.

For a game that's supposedly a Beat Em Up, it sure likes to throw platformer challenges and instant kill obstacle courses more than it does give you canon fodder to straight punch into the stratosphere

No jedi outcast?

furi? in what way? you mean actual spoilers after you defeat the last gaurdian and aquire that flying device and go back to your mothership to fight the bullethell boss?

That one still hurts.

Also Sleeping Dogs ended up shitting itself in a similar way after introducing guns.

I hate that these games make me feel like a libcuck and resent guns.

xenogears and xenosaga go from being mediocre jrpgs to full on interactive movies midway

Shogo alternated between sections of you in a giant robot obliterating everything in your path and sections of you onfoot in a twitch corridor shooter where you can go from full health and armor to dead in a second

Shogo is fucking god-tier
OP, PLAY IT

battlezone 2 changes from an action shooter to a top down RTS when you build a command center

in dungeon keeper 1 you manage a dungeon but you can also possess a creature and then it's like an action RPG

life is suffering

Monolith's original idea for F.E.A.R was an anime style game where you fought super soldiers but it was shifted to horror later.

The game still has references to Shogo like the main corporation you investigate, Armacham, was originally from Shogo.

seeing this, I realize I need to replay FEAR
again

It goes from being a pretty-good stealth game to a shitty shooter. The first was much better, but also suffered the same fate.

Spore

MGS4's final boss completely changes combat mechanics and feels more like a 1-on-1 fighting game, which is appropriate for the context it's presented I suppose.

So much wasted potential it hurts to this day

I think Darksiders II turned into a TPS in the Earth level. It did not help the game.

E;R

I love you E;R-senpai, but might be Hitler's true offspring.

The original Kid Icarus?

Starts out with 3 vertical levels, then dungeon, 3 horizontal levels, then dungeon, 3 more vertical levels, dungeon and then goes into a sidescrolling shooter like final level

Bayonetta has motorcycle driving sections and a SHMUP section.
And the shooting gallery minigame at the end of each level.

The unfortunate thing is that they're all pretty shit. At least when you're trying to get fucking Pure Platinum

Black Ops II has sections where you have a sort of RTS attack/defense mission (Strikeforce missions) where you command individual soldiers and drones from above, and at any point can drop down to personally control one.

Honestly was a pretty fun idea, and I'd love a game that built more on that concept and made it a game in and of itself.

The shooting gallery minigame is fun once you know what to do.

you referring to the mansion ?

Black ops 2 did bunch of neat new things that were promptly dropped in black ops 3. Its the best Call of Duty game in my mind.