Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation Devs in full damage control Edition

Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is a stand-alone DLC which contains fixes and improvements to the original game along with a few new units and 2 new map types.
How much is this "expansion" £15 if you already own the original game or £29.99 if you do not. Why could they not just patch this into the original game? Well maybe this post one the forums by one of the games developers will shed some light on the subject. link to the OP: steamcommunity.com/app/228880/discussions/1/224446614463819674/

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/496730/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Digital distribution continues to be a mistake.

Well they used to pull this shit in the past they would just re-release it as Game of the year or collectors edition. Which was essentially just a patched and updated version of the same game.

If you read that post he blames the community giving shitty reviews being the main reason there shekel stream ran out which made it harder to continue patching the original game. Basically it's our fault for not supporting their shitty business practices.

What is he expecting to happen? Everyone to come in and suck his dick?

That's not what he says.

Anyway, I heard the initial game was mediocre and lost interest.
Was waiting to see if this "expansion" changed anyone's opinion.

What you have now is the same problem that Elite Dangerous had, older players feeling cheated because newer players can buy the better version for cheaper overall.
God knows why they made it stand alone. Add it as a £20 DLC, discount the initial game, and it would be the same product at the same pricepoint. The older players would understand the discount of the olrder initial release, and everyone would be buying the new DLC at the same price.

Just stupid marketing really.

same happened with guidl wars 2 expansion, jews put the base game F2P, but you still needed to buy the expansion, here is the kicker, the good goys that bought the game before going F2P didnt get the expansion for free or at a discount

Poor thing
Make another Sins and shut the fuck up Stardock.

From what I can gather, seems like they had an okay game for casuals that was more popular than they thought.
They wanted to turn it into a good game for veterans, but the development to do so meant they needed to charge for it. But they also didn't want to alienate the casuals but introducing the new veteran features into the existing game. They're trying to sell two different products to two different markets, but with the same product name.

They should have just accepted that they made a mistake in underestimating the market and taken the lessons learned onto a new project, and been happy with their initial larger than expected profit.
Now they've just got a marketing fuckup on their hands

tldr; this guy gets it. They should have moved on.

Bought the game when it came out and enjoyed it, but it did seem incomplete. I did expect it to more, and it sucks that they added everything the base game lacked into an expansion pack when they should have just patched the original game.

Expansion packs only work with games that start as perfectly fine and finished to begin with.

It makes perfect sense to me, expansion for 20 or get standalone for 40.

I played it, it was good, new units change the play, kept getting my ass kicked by normal AI in skirmish. Worth 20 bucks.

I don't get what the deal is.

It's like 20 dollars DLC if you bought the first game and it's coming out a while after the main game. It would only be kikery if they charged you 40 dollars even if you have the original, but they're actually giving a discount.

I guess it all depends on how unfinished the original felt, but if it was decently complete this seems like people sperging out over nothing.

That's the issue, the original just was not a complete game in any shape or form. It played more like a concept, or alpha really than a full game. It needed more variety of units, features and choices, the base game currently suffers from an issue that several units are made redundant by others which is a frankly amazing feat for a game with hardly any units.

How many units does it have?

I don't remember games like SupCom having lots of different types of units, you had something like three per tech level. Having many unit types is more of an AoE thing.

What is funnier is that this isn't their first attempt at the tango.
store.steampowered.com/app/496730/
Release Date: 22 Sep, 2016

its a business goy, not a charity

I fail to understand what's the problem, someone mind filling me in?

I agree, what's the problem?

All shills

I always thought it was a bland tech demo, now you tell me it was a casualshit tech demo and people still defended it.

Maybe they should have made it into a 10 dollar expansion at most, or maybe include it for free and basically release a GOTY edition?

If you are saying that you I doubt you have really played Supreme Commander.

Supreme Commander had around 40 units per faction with at least a dozen different unit types per tier. That's base Supreme Commander by the way and while a few of those units do become redudnant, a few even Tier 1's can be used well into the late game. This also before including the myriad of defensive structures that can be used.

Ashes has a grand total of 15 per faction and there is only 2 factions. If you take the PHC faction once you unlock Cruisers which pretty much is immediate if you start next to a radioactive source there is absolutely no need to build any frigates apart from 2 which provide radar and healing. Furthermore one of their cruisers is just a flat out better choice than their other frontline cruisers, being faster and projecting more firepower than it as well as I recall a slightly bit cheaper. It may have less armour but that doesn't really count for shit when the target it's shooting at vaporizes before it has a chance to do any damage. So straight out the bat there is at least 3 units out of 15 that are completely pointless and not worth building past the very early game. The Substrate are a better case as they have less redudant units and you can even get away with using their frontline frigates into the late game considering how much firepower they can project which lets them fight cruisers in numbers and even threaten a few dreadnoughts.

The Jew cries out in pain as he strikes you.

You're the only shill here.

We're all regular 8channers just like the rest of the people in this board.

Ashes of the Singularity™ is my favorite video game and the good and clever people who developed it deserve much more money than the measly 40 shekels they're asking for.

Quit being so cheap, oy vey.

It's not an mmo, if you expected continues free updates you wore wrong. They had every right to abandon the game after relese if they wanted to.

And we have every right to call them terrible developers and their game dogshit. That's how reviews work.

This actually started with elemental. They fucked it up so bad it had the be remade twice to even get it to be not shit. Of course they sold each of the remakes as stand alone. Never trust brad wardell.

but is it fun?

It's like you people hate fun.

Nah, fuck that.
The fact that the UI and text size are eye-squintingly small completely killed any chance of me playing this game.
Not to mention the fact that when people asked them on their forums to fix it they were cunts about it.

where did all these retards/shills come from?

Their game is shit anyway, bland as fuck with no style. I expect some mobile version of it.

Pretty much this, it felt like it never left EA.

Seems that is what he basically is saying,

Nope, not falling for their shit again.

Are you seriously gonna argue Supcom wasn't a rough draft and SCFA was what it should always have been?

Regular Supcom is still more feature complete than most rts that are out today. It's like arguing about the difference between a regular palace and the Taj Mahal when every other modern rts are the equivalent of huts.

Are you really comparing base Supreme Commander to shit like Ashes or worse Planetary Annilihation? Base Supreme Commander is very much playable without Forged Alliance, Forged Alliance is a cherry on top. It's like saying Tiberian Sun, or Red Alert is unplayable without Firestorm or Aftermath.

You are just being a fucking moron.

Like No Man's Sky's devs?

Even without the bug fixes in the expansion, it essentially killed off the original by "splintering the already low playerbase" (from your steam link forums posted). The devs don't even admit to that, "hurr we're still releasing updates".

I sincerely hope that Escalation is any good. I haven't followed the development at all, I haven't purchased the base game (and wont pay full price for the expansion either), but SupCom starts getting old. I'm playing FAF and Company of Heroes with a couple of friends a lot. We just want more.
Even if Escalation is only 80% as good as Forged Alliance, I'd still get it when it's on sale. FA is just that good.
Christ. I just want another FA. Is that really too much to ask for?

A much as I agree even base supcom is better the AotS or PA you seriously have to go full nostalgia to pretend the PC version Supcom was finished especially at release.

So is the real issue they're shipping incomplete shit then forcing people to buy "expansions"? I don't really get why people are mixing this up with the stand-alone expansion thing.

At least it doesn't have the $100 or so worth of microtransactions like Planetary Annihilation TITANS.

Are you going to pretend this is anything similar?

We got new units for every faction from t1 to t4, about as many units that is currently in ashes. We got complete rework of balance, not only of every combat unit but including faster production&resources. The new units weren't patches on abysmal balance (like in sc2), they actually reworked everything and then gave us spice. And then on top of that we got a new faction.

Not to forget, shields, missiles, nukes, experimentals, massive scale maps and unit caps, dynamic resource system, radar&stealth, submarines&aircrafts, automated production, functioning waypoints. You know every fucking goodstuff lesson from rts history that was already in the main game.

And oh every shot was already simulated and effected by movement, terrain, aim, fucking weapon rotation that when missed could hit other shit in it's projected path.

It wasn't a bug fix patch with some new units. It was an actual expansion to a complete game.

That was 10 years ago and now some shit dev wants 20 more bucks to fix shit in a supcom clone that doesn't contain half of what the original supcom does.

GamerGate devs are just as bad as the SJW one's. He does not get a free pass just cause he supports GG.

It's like went GG forgave the Fleetcomm dev and nichegamer selling out and shilling a game that sold at full price for a demo.

GG likes to support devs that pander to them but we cannot just let devs get away with things because they agree with our ideology.

If you check the thread again you will see that the dev is in full damage control mode.

Are you fucking kidding ME!

It won't change the overall score but it would change the recent reviews to counter the abuse and let people judge the game on its own merits and not based on whether someone thinks their original purchase entitles them to the expansion pack.

the mass fabricator shit is hilarious though

Yeah and I have every right to give a negative review or refund your piece of shit incomplete game that you asked me to pay for.

I honestly don't know, not like it's a huge game that would have hired many. My only theory is they are AMDrones, the game was basically just a tech demo and advertisement for Mantle. It flopped hard though so I dunno why they'd still be at it today.

on the other hand why are honest to god anons buying buggy incomplete games? wait till its in a state that actually satisfies you at least. use the same logic that you would for an early access title if you must.
i can sympathize with wanting a new rts to play, and it really shouldnt be this way. but thats a lesson everyone should have learned by now.

I'm not talking about the unit added by FA but the units added by 3269 and 3257 for vanilla, which they put in for balance and diversification purpose.

Doesn't stop vanilla SC from feeling like a feature complete beta to FA, doesn't mean I think it's bad because it clearly isn't but it's clearly not polished like a finished game should.

And that's not what I'm arguing

That's what I have a problem with
Launch day supcom had a fuckton of issues that should never be in a "finished game" (just read the fucking patch notes for 3217 to 3251if you don't believe me) and even at the end of it's lifecycle the only reason to have vanilla was to play the 3 main factions online in FA and play the campaign once for the story.

I still can't see this shit as anything other than a tech demo.

Wait a minute, I thought Valve had a policy against shit like that? And if not they should have.

Yeah it's an ACTUAL abuse of the review system, you know the thing the dev is accusing the community of doing. This is some shady shit lads.

You are still comparing it to fa. Of course the expansion pack is going to be more complete. A fairer comparison would be another rts without exp pack, maybe tiberium wars arguably it's main competitor back then. Now that shit was broken, not sure if multiplayer ever got past sell base and rush.

You are arguing that just about every patch regular supcom had solved issues in the base game? I don't think anyone is going to argue against that. Why even?

If supcom doesn't satisfy your standards for "finished game" then idk. It was revolutionary for it's time, sure it could have been better. A lot of issues could have been solved by a larger and longer beta I suppose. But even so it was way more complete than most other rts on the market today and way back then.

Maybe give an example of a rts that was complete on release then.

I'm wasting my fucking time with this asshole but these people need to be held accountable for their shit.

Update: ==THAT'S ALL FOLKS==

He's done, that's it, not responding anymore.

tl:dr of pic related: You're either an entitled ass-hole who wants free DLC or your an idiot who doesn't understand how DLC works. You are irrelevant and your argument is invalid.
Stop being such ignorant bigoted bullies.
Go fuck yourself.
Bye.:)

Wow just fucking wow the arrogance in his tone is staggering. Playing the victim to the very end. I should expect nothing less from the current year. This solved nothing and only served to further antagonise the community.

I bought rivals(already had SK) because I like the game. It's underwhelming for $15 content wise but I enjoy playing it. I liked Fallen Enchantress too

BW said on SD's forums that they weren't going to do stand alones anymore because it upset people(talking about sorcerer king).

Why do this again? People who didn't like what happened with Rivals made the same complaints

Underrated post

I'm pretty sure they just tried to pull the same shit as PA as the other post said.
They released a bland and low on content game that got middling reviews so they re-released it with features that are it-should-have-been-in-the-game-in-the-first-place-tier as a standalone expansion to pad out the reviews with people who liked the base anyway and get some new sales shekles from those mislead.

My last post got me b&.
What a bunch of niggers.

Luckily I screen-capped the part where he was encouraging people to abuse the review system I am thinking of reporting this shady behaviour to valve. See what happens. Also the recent review scores have improved as if by magic. From mostly negative > mixed

which was the outcome the Dev was looking for.

I thought this game was still in Early access two months ago and now there is already a $15 expansion for it?

do it faggot

user, stop