HyperNormalisation

Honestly, what does Holla Forums thinks about HyperNormalisation?
thoughtmaybe.com/hypernormalisation/?lang=en
Really fucking scary if you ask me…

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ckBlXtYrpy0
thoughtmaybe.com/by/adam-curtis
youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg
youtube.com/watch?v=WqL0giCY6NE
soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-52-dirty-wars-2-rise-of-mcraven-feat-jeremy-scahill-102316
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Curtis is pretty good.

I thought it was pretty good, I sent a link of the documentary to my history prof.

I think Curtis's "documentaries" are a bit pretentious and it sometimes seems like I'm not being given all the facts.

That dude at 6:36 minutes is based.

Some parts very good some parts quite bad.

The main problems with it are that Curtis always focuses to much on ideas rather than materiel conditions and he has a kind of static understanding of power with a fixed establishment, when real class relations are more dynamic.

The stuff about russia is interesting in that the idea of russia being a more advanced form of liberalism rather than backwards and despotic is pretty novel, but it's never really clear how what Surkov does is different from what western spin doctors do, Karl Rove after all talked dismissively about the "reality based community" and the stuff about no one knowing what they're doing in syria is weird since everyone knows what they're doing there.

The Trump/Putin comparison is odd as well since Hillary is far closer to being the shapeshifting reality creating candidate, she's the one who creates the opposition she wants with her media backers promotion of trump and her alt right speech, and she's the one who holds dozens of contradictory opinions at once.

big question for me after watching it, is this thom yorke singing?

youtube.com/watch?v=ckBlXtYrpy0

Any place I can watch it where it isnt fucking tiny on forced-centered

Yeah I know what you mean, he tries to fit his own agenda inside his documentaries at times, and it becomes evident.

If anyone's interested this has everything he's done

thoughtmaybe.com/by/adam-curtis

The mayfair set is really good and the episode of the living dead about thatcher.

TBH Hypernormalisation was a total disaster, way worse than his other documentaries.

what makes you think that user?

Adam Curtis hasn't always been so long-winded, take The Loving Trap for example,
youtube.com/watch?v=x1bX3F7uTrg

DELETE THIS

In what way?
I won't deny this

What, been posted before?

we asked you nicely, now comply

Hah come at me humorless tankbros

my entire worldview is shattered thanks to you

notsureiftrollingor.jpg

I learned a lot more from Curtis' The Road to Terror that was posted here recently youtube.com/watch?v=WqL0giCY6NE

we are all HyperNormies in here
I love the way he edits his journalistic pieces :^)

Just finished this. It's decent, but like all of Curtis's documentaries it doesn't really point to a course of action. They always produce a feeling of confusion and futility. Which, considering his affection for Vladislav Surkov, I can't help but wonder if that's the point.

It is far too chill to be discussed in a politics board.

I just liked the Chapo into based on it about people being judged and their lives determined based upon whether or not they were capable of having sex

Don't plan on seeing it.

What?

soundcloud.com/chapo-trap-house/episode-52-dirty-wars-2-rise-of-mcraven-feat-jeremy-scahill-102316

One of the better cold opens

It was pretty cool, I didn't take much away from it though.

Mostly about how the world that's presented to us is manufactured, fake, and doesn't accurately represent reality at all, but just a political, and social narrative. That's his major point, and the only one to take away from it.

lel, pretty good

I often feel this way about Curtis documentaries, but it can be educational if you follow up some of the people he discusses. I wouldn't have learned about Bernays if it weren't for him, for example.

Nearly 3 hours long and he never uses the word "capitalism" once.

Tells you all you need to know, really.

Basically this. He uses the work of Debord, Baudrillard, et al. while removing the context in which their work is seated, which is that capitalism is the cause of what they were critiquing about society.

Instead, Curtis ascribes causes to the individual moral failings of people like Kissinger and Trump. He's spooked as fuck, in other words.

His worldview is based on how economic and social systems operate and have world changing repercussions. So what if he doesn't call it "capitalism". If he did, people would be a lot less receptive to it anyways

If you think the film made any direct criticism of Trump or Putin and not of the context which created them you're spooked beyond belief.

You mean the global economic system that he never calls by name once in the entire documentary?

Wew

RADICAL ISLAMIC TERRORISM

Pretty sure it was mentioned or at least implied when the internet was discussed
I think Bitter Lake covered that.

That you're obsessed with your own world view?

Bitter Lake covered the Mujahideen and later Taliban, but not CIA support to Al Qaeda in Syria.

I think he just said no one really knows what's going on there, regarding the situation on the ground in Syria.

Would the BBC even air a documentary that was that critical of capitalism?
I'm not sure they would.

Funding nothing! The Power of Nightmares went into detail at how the CIA essentially conjured up Al Qaeda out of whole cloth as a global terrorist network on par with Cobra from G.I. Joe instead of a random collection of mostly unrelated people with somewhat similar political opinions. The Al Qaeda that formed under Bin Laden was essentially a PR grab at the phantom that mainstream media had created, to take advantage of all the free advertising they'd get if they claimed to be exactly the product Bush was selling.

Curtis wrote a large article for the BBC fawning over the revolution taking place in Rojava. Left libertarian describes him pretty well.

boring and shallow as fuck
I though it's going to be about echo chambers and the hegemony of networked order, but it was instead about adam curtis' montage style

Amazing doc. Trippy af. Love the aesthetic.

Wish more people understood how deep psyops/destruction of sincerity in the media goes and how it was used to destroy the alt-left revolt against the establishment that began with WTO and ended with Occupy

9/11 and the ensuing scandal is what made Al Qaeda into a big thing. The people involved (or claiming involvement) in the attack got tons of recruits and groups looking to join. These days, yes, Al Qaeda is a real thing, though it has split into a bunch of rebranded groups.