Vidya Weapons Thread

Is it just me Holla Forums or can you tell how good a shooter is by the quality of the shotguns in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerhead
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've never played a single vidyagaem that had realistic shotguns.

To do shotguns justice, you need to have multiple types of ammo. Though being a not-melee weapon helps, even if there's almost no reason to use anything else then

Maybe it's a bias because the game is good so you'll forgive a mediocre shotgun more easily.

Then you havent modded stalker you pleb

I'd agree, but that's more due to shotguns being good requiring some level of realism.
So, in order to make a shotgun that isn't the usual short-range massive cloud piece of garbage, you have to be relatively familiar with guns, since that's the norm for shotguns in media.
Which, if you know your shit, means you'll have some decent gunplay as you can translate the mechanics appropriately.

I know what some of you will say, "muh realism", but man it sure seems like some basic understanding of how guns works leans itself to quality these days.

Here's the idea. The game where every weapon is shotgun. Sawn-off shotgun or Taurus Judge instead of pistol, .410 Saiga instead of assault rifle, M79 grenade launcher with flechette round, and so on. This would be so great.

But I actually create STALKER mods. Mods don't count, give me a vanilla game that has genuinely realistic shotguns.

Before Insurgency was its own standalone product it was a HL2 mod that was fairly popular, and the shotguns in that game were both pretty realistic from what I remember. Does that count?

What's the best flamethrower, Holla Forums?

Crysis probably is gonna be the closest, you can actually reliably kill something over 30 meters away from you.

With mods it gets kind of ridiculous because you get explosive ammo and an USAS12.

RTCW or Wolf09

The one in Killing Floor.

RO2 had some beautiful flamethrower action.
Those screams
They still bless my dreams.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerhead
Claymores, nigga

Because you say so?

Insurgency couldn't simulate proper bullet penetration over materials, something even counter strike and stalker could do.
is it true that the devs were assholes, though?

is it a mine to check some trips?

No, it's to trip some traps.

That's a mod.

How bout you learn to read?

Serious Sam 2 had some neat shotguns. The normal one looks weird but the double barreled one is cool as fuck. It's got massive range as well.
TF2 had the Reserve Shooter. It only holds 3 shots at a time but does extra damage with no falloff to enemies in the air. You just pop enemies in the air with the rocket launcher and snipe them with the RS. There's also the Widowmaker, which returns ammo based on damage done. If you land every shot you have infinite ammo but if you miss you fuck yourself over.
Fallout: New Vegas had a neat thing going with crafting your own rounds, and the different types of ammo you could make. It's a shame the guns didn't feel as awesome as they should have.

I love how shotguns work in vidya, I find realistic depictions of them kind of boring in many cases.
It's good for a weapon to encourage the player to stop being a pussy and get right in the face of the enemy - bonus points if a point blank range shot explodes the target into gibs.

Pic related is one of my favs.

What are some games with really overkill guns?
I mean the shit that's usually relegated to Fallout 3 mods, where you pull the trigger and it fires off 8 nukes that destroy your framerate and crash the game.

Doom mods are very welcome. Even Projhect Brutality feels like overkill when you're dual-wielding SSGs and you can't run forward because the kickback from them is stronger than your sprint.

for doom mods there is:
Russian Overkill
Trailblazer
Combined Arms

Halo CE Pistol, Plasma Rifle and the Shotgun are all OP as fuck.

I really wanted to like painkiller but once I got to the first boss fight it turned to garbage.

The boss fights are garbage but everything else is great. I'll admit, it's pretty mindless compared to Serious Sam, though.
Also, it's the only good game to come out of my country so I'm legally bound to like it.

I concur, OP.

Say what you will about fallout 4 but the shotguns aren't bad

If a game has a shotgun that feels great and fun to use then it's a good game. If not? It's shit.