Any amount of dialogue past a 2nd grade reading level is a visual novel!

I get that full on movie games are cancer. But gameplay purists are among the biggest faggots out there

Games that sacrifice gameplay over story deserve all the flak they can get.

Both extremes of any topic have a lot in common. Shit thread

A basic framework is still more ideal to make the games world and the characters motivations make sense

Depends on the genre, RPGs for instance will inevitably sacrifice gameplay so good story writing is wanted. To fill a game with long ass cutscenes, walls of text and stupid shit that can be condensed or told more indirectly and subtly is fucking shit.

There are way too many open world games where the world just isn't interesting or fun to explore. But otherwise I agree, a well designed world, in depth lore, good music, and good graphics can deliver a game that's just as good as a game that focuses primarily on gameplay, if in a very different way. Preferably, all of these aspects are made to be great, but that's just not always possible.

Actually, I'll add on that scripted events are very often really cancerous, but it depends on how it's done. So many modern games do it in a shitty way that replaces what could be a way to make the gameplay better or just pads the game with pointless bullshit. Asura's Wrath is a great game, though, so there definitely is a place for tightly scripted segments.

(OP)
I like this bait, it's not high quality but it provides an ironic commentary on the faggots who actually believe it's not true

What's a good open world game with a world like Gothic's? Where everything feels deliberate and full of life.

Handmade Noose: The Other Side

Your strawman attacks reek of butthurt.
The only time I agreed with anything from that list is the open world thing, and that was in spiderman games. Not for empty spaces neither, but because they use that opportunity to avoid actually designing levels and made all spiderman games GTA with web swinging. Awful.

Awful

but it's true

Go away evil dogger,
also bump

I hate Zelda because it has shit gameplay - shit combat, shit puzzles, shit gimmicks, shit everything. Especially newer ones, when games like Kingdom Hearts and Devil May Cry exist, they still release one button puzzle fests.

Not to mention you play as a girly elf.
Fuck elves.

Go away evil digger.

Strawmen everywhere.

Shit thread, kill yourself OP.

i like how your bait describes your own post as well, very well played

man im dyslexic. well you know what i mean right?

I get that full on mac'n'cheese meals are cancer, but cooking purists are among the biggest faggots out there

No, this is not the case in the slightest。Some of the best games have the story sorted in a blurb on the back of the case, or in character art for context alone。I enjoy a fun cutscene, especially ones which can be skipped, but a story in any game has such low value it is rarely worth wasting time with。Open world games are also terrible。

Why the fuck do we have this fucking thread again? It's what, every week the exact same fucking topic? Get some new fucking template, OP!

a bloo bloo monkey island players are gamers too

I bet you're the kind of person who likes it when Sonic games have stories

There's a reason Tetris is the best game ever made and will never be surpassed.

Go awsy evil dogger

sleep snug, smug

Problem with a lot of open world shit is, most the world is unused.
Give me an open world with a city that is alive, and I'll be happy. Give me shitty barely-populated hovels with nothing but the standard enemy in between, and I'll hate it.
Cough cough Skyrim

Go away evil dogger.

Go away evil dogger.

None of this would happen if devs would manage to (once again) balance gameplay with story.
They only have to make both decent (at the very least).

Look at DOW 1 campaign, it's not so fucking hard.

Go away evil dogger.

go away evil dogger
go away baiting OP

games are kiddie shit anyway

go away evil dogger

No, it's because video games should have actual interesting mechanics and ways of interacting with the environment other than "use WASD to walk in a direction and defeat enemies by left clicking on them until they die"

Go away evil dogger.

Go away evil dogger

Go away evil dogger

Go away evil dogger

is there any game that does this other than dwarf fortress?

This is actually a problem though

I've generally found that a game that understands how to mix story into gameplay and vice-versa works best. If you're looking for pure gameplay, you shouldn't even be playing certain genres to begin with. RPG's that sacrifice gameplay for story end up becoming Fallout 3,4. Then there's amazing gems like Okami which want the world and everything around it to make sense. A game doesn't have to make you come up with your own objectives. If it's executed well, you can follow an objective entirely based on the story. Not every game with a story is AAA or a VN and not every game with gameplay has to pretend story doesn't exist. I've found that my own favorite games have a blend of both aspects rather than sacrificing one for the other.

I wish I could agree with all the other anons spouting "nice strawman faggot," but considering I have seen anons on this very Holla Forums saying that all stories should be removed from video games, I'm afraid it's not.

Go away evil dogger

What was that womans name again?

I can't believe this cancerous thread is still alive. People are rightfully calling OP a faggot but for the wrong reasons.
Most of them are purple proses, repetitive statements, barely interactive, and shit.

You are making fun of people complaining about a game having nothing to do.

No one plays LoZ to be immersed. TES is now just an open world walking simulator.

Imagine a detective game where you have to accuse the obvious red herring to continue the plot. People don't like reading detective novels with retards as protagonists so why would anyone want to play as a retard in game where the protagonist is not supposed to be one.

Go away evil dogger.

Go away evil dogger.