Can we take a minute to talk about the Aliens/AVP franchise?

Can we take a minute to talk about the Aliens/AVP franchise?

(Namely what a disappointment each iteration is. Or the biggest meh reaction you'd ever see)

Other urls found in this thread:

alienexplorations.blogspot.com./2010/03/dan-obannons-original-story-behind.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sure thing, this one was fun as hell, also, apparently nobody knows that you get a harder second run if you finish it, continues or not, it just gives you a free game.

Reminder: Gearbox Software stole money from Sega meant for Colonial Marines and used it to give a paycheck to Anthony Burch

who?

A nu-male who was also known as king cuck, until he was cucked out of that position by an even bigger faggot.

I see, can we go back to Aliens arcade?

For some reason the Arcade Aliens games always come out as a masterpiece, while the PC alien games always end up as either mediocre or a complete disappointment.

Even with the artistic liberties it captured the essence of what we would want from an Aliens game back in the day.

Movies are basically meh.

The games AVP2 and AVP (2010) were pretty fun. But in terms of quality, they're more campy schlock. Colonial Marines is a glitched out mess thanks to Gearbox. Alien: Isolation is alright, but takes ages in the beginning to become enjoyable. I liked the arcade games but they're pretty quick to finish.

I'm still waiting for an evac-only focused game, basically a zombie mansion + running game, only much better handled due to the sci fi setting which lets you do anything.
AVP2 has a few of them and some very nice custom maps like Suk Stronghold 1,2 and the LOTR map, but they're PvP only, no AI bots. So you have a very hard time finding alien players.

So, basically Left4Dead but with Xenomorphs and/or Predators? I'd be down for that tbh

Anyone managed to play a proper AvP2 Suk Stronghold match back in 2012 ?

Too bad the online scene for Alien is dead.

well , the colonial space marines of ss13 is still looking good

This one was really good, too bad it's for the arcades only so you have to move your ass downtown to play it.

Somewhere in an alternate universe there are millions of Aliens 2 fans playing their horror survival evac game in blissful ignorance.

Money can't buy talent, so even if they hadn't spent the money on Snorederlands, it would still have been shit. Slightly more polished shit, perhaps, but you can get that experience with the Colonial Marines mod.

Predalien on Suk Stronghold is fun as fuck. Going through the secret underground tunnel and smashing through the floor. Or as a marine welding all the doors shut in the vents while we took refuge at the command center and saw them make their way on the monitors.

Evac and survival were the shit.

What was the difference between survival and overrun?

I still don't understand why they had the Matriarch model in the game, but they never bothered putting her to use gameplay-wise.
Battling the same queen through the predator and marine campaign is a large let down.

There's always SS13.

xenomorphs in ss13 are pretty shit tbh, the way they're handled is really dumb to as well since you can only use humans and monkeys to preggo and change cast via plasma instead of how it should be based on what creature is face hugged

What was bad about this one?

The best games:

A Doom clone, but what I like about it is the interesting features each side has that were never implemented in later games.

As an Alien you can cocoon Marines and use them as spawnpoints. When you die, you spawn as a new fresh alien from a cocooned Marine.

The Predator has a honour system. You start off with just your claws and the more you kill you will unlock better weapons. Using high-tech shit too frequently and your honour points will drop so you have to find a balance between using your primitive and high-tech gear.

The first great game on the PC, you walk very fast but everything is pretty much perfect. The atmosphere and mood would set the tone for all the future games.

More story-driven with cutscenes, very spooky and captures the 'Aliens' vibe perfectly. This might just be the best AVP game ever made.

Plagued by the CoD/console cancer that was going on at the time. Has brutal kills and alot of gore, but I prefer the ambient scares of AVP 2. Fortunately, this mediocre game shines in comparison to Colonial Marines which was a disaster.

I also wish more games had multiple campaigns that drastically changed the nature of the game.

As an Alien you have to use the environment and think smart. As a Predator you really feel like a hunter. As a Marine it becomes a horror game.

The only other game I can think of that does this is Natural Selection.

No, we can't.
No fuck off back to fucking plebbit where pieces of human waste like you belong to.

checked

REDDIT GO HOME

ALIENS STOLE MY TRIPLE DUBS

I'd like someone to use that early screenplay idea of the last stage of the Xenomorph being peaceful and sentient.

And interested in humans, I'll bet.

That's because their very nature doesn't make any sense unless you have a very large amount of plot armor\devices to justify half the shit they do. And none of that works very well for videogames both because of multiplayer but also in singleplayer.

In SS13, different animals giving different castes isn't really possible considering how there's only monkeys and humans.
For any other game, you hunt humans mostly and unless you want to include a segment where you can hunt other animals to have different Aliens available, it's not gonna be a thing.

Then there's the feeding vs breeding. It's never specified what do they eat, the best theories seem to be they hit sand\glass (to form their shells) or they only eat when they aren't fully grown or they don't eat at all since they only last about 20 days or so anyway.

You add them to a game, you put the player in a position where every prey doubles as either another alien or a meal. But if he fights back, what are you supposed to do? Subdue him non-lethaly to breed more?
This was the problem with SS13 where Aliens killing humans was very stupid as they were reducing the number of possible offsprings that way.

An Aliens game would benefit from being somewhat Open World since unlike other OW games, it actually gives you a very good incentive to go out there and explore\hunt: find new animals to make new breeds. To properly do this, the number of aliens in your hive should be a finite number that you can increase by hunting and you'd get different castes depending on what you found. So if the Marines have a station high up in a canyon, it might be a good idea to breed a caste with wings, forcing you to find a compatible animal.

Aren't they already sentient?

Sapient is probably what we were going for.

I don't even remember how I ended up with a copy of that. I guess it may have came with one of my video cards. The audio logs were sort of interesting, I guess.

I actually much prefered the aliens in that game versus AvP2.
They had an higher emphasis on Stealth and neat tail tricks instead of just Pouncing everyone.

is there any hope for aliens/predator vidya/movies/books/comics/musicals?

This
It was a big switch up from the "swarm" thing AVP2 did, but I liked it

I'd watch it

no they don't have that kinda shit in the films what so ever3 and avp1/2 doesn't count

no there's lots of other animals the problem is they're just not coded for it

what do you think they do with the bodies of the creatures after they've produced a larve?

it's up to how robust the player is really, but it's also a lack of numbers on the xeno side to really make shit work or actually it's more so that warriors are the ones supposed to be subduing and drones are supposed to be securing the subdued, hence why drones are smarter

everything about this is pretty much bang on and if you could play as the humans trying to colonize a strange new world or predators in the hunt then shit would be so good

the queen is already sapient

i have mixed feelings about that, in the first one i was afraid of humans it was fun and in the second one humans were afraid of me, i remember letting all the female civilian crew alive while i eat the males in front of them, to bad you couldnt keep a qt human as a pet to cuddle with and make a yuri story.

That's my girl!

I actually still muck around with Dedit

Is the queen smart as a human? I know its shown in the films they can pick up on shit easily buy did we ever get an answer on how smart they are?

I only wish for an Aliens game which lets you drive an APC.

How does it compare to other 3D game engines like Unreal, Unity, Source? Any chance you can put the Avp2010+Colonial Marines models inside Unreal and mock up a quick evac game simulator?

I've been having a good time playing Aliens Colonial Marines for Doom 2, got great atmosphere and I've gotten fucked more than once for careless use of ammo.

nope, i think the writers made it that way to bug people.

Okay, I downloaded Colonial Marines and the overhaul mod + latest patch. What am I in for?

Not surprised considering how ridiculously damage spongy those aliens are. It actually looks pretty cool beyond enemy HP values being jacked to the fucking moon.

Yeah if only there was a way to lower the sponginess of the Aliens without dropping their damage dealt, well without editing some files myself.

2 was fun. Came up often in LAN parties I used to attend in my youth.

2010 was meh. Alien campaign was alright. Predator felt utterly forgettable.

Couldn't get into 1 because it felt too dated by the time I got around to playing it.

Skipped Colonial Marines.

1 and 2 are great
2010 is mediocre garbage
Some good arcade ones

What kind of faggotry is this? You don't fucking need to ask permission you cocksucking faggot.

Anyways there is a pretty large collection of games to choose from, and most of them are not really in the action horror category that you'd expect but quality varies wildly and about half of them are named the same thing, Alien vs Predator and a good chunk of them don't have the courtesy of having a sub-title or just change the "vs" in the title and the video games have been released all the way back to the mid-80s.

In the early draft by Dan O'Bannon made before the first film, the last stage of the Xenomorphs had them become capable of civilization and also I think they took care of their young? I read it on some website a while ago and it sounded way more interesting than the ayy lmao trying to kill and eat everything at all stages.

Killing Floor's mod for Aliens can also be a pretty good experience. It's made by Monolith so it should have some of that decent gameplay from FEAR.

1 had better designed Predators than 2 and more attack animations for xenomorphs, some when standing on two legs. And no "pink runner" Aliens.

For me audiologs are useless if they don't offer gameplay or some extra replayability.

I wish we could kickstart a spiritual succesor for a good Aliens game.

The Lithtech engine is an interesting engine to develop stuff on. It was unique for its time and remains really quaint. The only real annoyance is how most of the games on it run like crap on modern operating systems. Like AvP2 I need to run in dgvoodoo to avoid massive framedrops. I also had to lower the polling rate in my mouse because it spazzed out constantly.

It's interesting largely because the process of creating levels is virtually identical across all of its games. But each individual game was still vastly different. Like comparing Blood 2 with No One Lives Forever, and AVP2, and Tron 2.0 and F.E.A.R they're all vastly different in terms of gameplay but the actual level creation process is identical.

This was mostly because the actual engine was developed by a different shell company Monolith owned whereas the games were developed independently.

I'd imagine it would be possible but in the old 2000 era renderer there would probably be a lot of slowdowns and they'd look very strange. It doesn't help most of the documentation for how you create mods is for old ass programs like Milkshape and most of the tutorials fans have made were on old Geocities sites that don't exist anymore.

Still I know a few Lithtech dudes that I talk to and it's always cool reminiscing about the engine and trying to make content in it. Like one dude I talk to worked on the Killer App mod for Tron 2.0 and is still working on a big total conversion mod for it called User Error.

In terms of Evac, Avp2 had a multiplayer gamemode where you had to wait several minutes as a team of marines against a team of aliens. It would be really easy to script a singleplayer level like that (and I'm pretty sure there are some out there). I know AVP2 had a fairly sprawling mod community and most of the mods survived Gamefront's destruction. Since you can find them all on sites like Nexus now.

I remember seeing a torrent for geocities floating around a few years back.

I've found a few archives but finding stuff like tutorials on scripting is easier said than done. It doesn't help most of the time the way they word it is akin to that "draw a circle then draw the rest of the owl" image

Gay

gay

Homo.

More?

Is that a male xeno?

I found that tutorial quite easy.

yes

I thought all Xenos were female or at least the vast majority of them I'm not sure exactly how the eggs are made.

The male is artificially made, they're all naturally female or genderless with the Queen laying eggs.

there are xenomorph kings but that one I showed you is actually altered genetically and is a rogue xenomorph

that male is artificially made

well I should have said "it's not cannon"

Xenos have no gender has they don't have enough chromosomes for that.
They have half the DNA that combines with their mating host and forms the new alien, at which point it's complete.
However, it still has no gender unless the alien molts into a Queen, at which point it becomes a female.

The whole thing is very similar to ants but I'd imagine male xenomorphs could be made in laboratory, althought xenos breeding with each other is pretty much inbreeding, expect the expected results.

I'm not even gay and all I see in that pic is dicks left and right, up and down.

you failed the gay test then

Like just make game, man.

Speaking of Colonial Marines, wasn't the original concept completely removed from the movies apart from featuring the gear and likeness of the Marine Corps from the movie?

I thought there are male ants they're called drones and they're pretty rare. However when a new queen is born it flys(they have wings) it to a new location to start another colony. I think I learned this from magic school bus though don't know how accurate it is.

Correct, it's the same with bees. There are males but they are rare as they literally do nothing.
Once a Princess is born, she has wings for mobility and (I forgot if this happens before or after the flight) she will mate with a drone and keep his genes inside of her. She will fly to a new area, make a nest and turn into a Queen, popping eggs left and right.

Aliens however differ in that everyone else acts as a male for them. These artificial males are an interesting concept though. Would they lead to inbreeding or would the xenos be able to last longer and become somewhat civilized?

So the queen doesn't need any other genetic material to lay eggs? How are the queens decided anyways someone said molting. Does one just randomly become a queen or are they born special and just become that? Can a colony get 2 queens what happens?

AvP2 is hands down the best game ever made in either the Predator, Alien, or AvP franchise. each story arc and gameplay style fits together perfectly

AWAKEN MY XENOMORPHS

See, that's just the reasonable continuation of the pace of Aliens. Why couldn't a non-arcade game do that? Instead, we just get yet another rehash of the plot of Aliens with some Predator thrown in for kicks.

Honestly, I'm surprised that despite the trend of "OPEN WORLD SURVIVAL!!", nobody's made an open world survival game set in futuristic, desolate Earth that's been completely overtaken and fucked over by xenos. Not only would this tie into the ending of Alien Resurrection fairly nice (implying that Ripley & co return to a fugged up Earth), it'd also even be a reasonable tie in to Prometheus (the "black goo"/parasite/whatever it was called inevitably makes its way to Earth).

Plus, you have a lot of potential with a game like that- the enemies aren't slow and practically non-threatening as with every zombie game. They'd (ideally) be terrifying and fuck your shit up in an instant if you're not careful.

Also, exploring a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk world would be badass and you niggers know it.

Probably because it'd be seen as 'easy' to do and farmed off to nobodies & incompetents as a zero-effort cashcow that the nevertheless manage to totally fuck up, but without any damage done to the parent/publishing company- most likely Sega at this juncture- or else is done by a good team that shows great promise and then gets hamstringed by funding getting shuffled around and fails less on the gameplay front but paradoxically fails as a cashcow, reducing it to niche title status.

I'm with you on this front anyways, mind. I want one of these Minecraft-in-space-with-guns shitters to actually learn from the mistakes of the others and get it right. Get a decent running engine, avoid boxels like the plague, make the enemies not retarded and give them sensible means to get at an entrenched player without all of them pinholing bases to pieces without trouble with all the horrid maintenance that implies, avoid obnoxious needle in haystack resource grinds, and either add an absolute shitload of lovingly modeled static guns or just make a custom weapons mechanic ala From the Depths, sans block dimension dependence and extended to small arms.

its like you want the next game to fail.

wait, didnt they steal dna to adapt faster in the planet they are infesting? they are all infertile females until one goes full queen

male ants have wings and they fly to another nest and rape the queen for shit and giggles, then the queen have new genetic material.

SJW detected, males bees have one job and they die doing it for the greater good

off all the movies/books/comics you want that shit to infest games?
it would be better if the game was set in a big ass planet were there is a xeno infection and fucking up the lifeforms of the planet, just add different animals sizes and down the road add xenos of those same sizes with unique abilities.

Found it
alienexplorations.blogspot.com./2010/03/dan-obannons-original-story-behind.html

Anything after Aliens might as well not exist.

what are you trying to pull, user?

I'd really love to see Suk Stronghold 1 & 2 played in a different engine.

The problem with AvP2 is that you cannot modify the basic values such as fall damage and hitbox size, which are the most important, more important than health/damage stats.

AvP2 also has a horrible physics engine which renders the elevators and vehicles useless. You constantly fall off trucks because you slide off them. The elevators are also slow as fuck especially so you can't fall off of them.

Replace https with http then.

But it's what geiger does, put sex references everywhere.

Did you know that H.R. Giger used a real human skull in the original model of the xenomorph? Took an angle grinder and just riveted it in there.
He also based his design off of lovecraft's novels, at least in concept. I think Ridley Scott wanted Alien to be Call of Cthulu in Space too.
A pretty cool artist, most feminists would get an aneurism seeing his gallery.

shhh

If you're talking about ants and bees, the queen has all the genetic material when it bred with a male to become a queen. Every ant born afterwards is incapable of producing eggs, save for a princess that can mate for new genetic material and start another nest.
Ants and Bees never have more than 1 Queen. Bees specifically will kill their previous queen when she's weak and kickstart the other royal embryo they had stashed somewhere for these cases (or if something happens to the Queen).
Ants sometimes get a different Queen in their nest and what happens afterwards is both queens trying to mind control ants with pheromones and telling them to kill the other, the one with best mind control survives the fight.
I might also be describing high school cathy bitches, you decide.

In the case of aliens, the facehugger, born out of an egg only has half the DNA. It finds a target, injects an embryo and keeps it alive (stucks a tube down your throat to prevent lack of oxygen but not enough to keep you awake, for instance). The embryo them steals half the DNA of the target, changes into a chestburster, comes out, eats and grows up to be a responsible menber of society the hive.
It's like that user said, they do it because by incorporating half the DNA from another creature, their body accomodates very fast to a new environment.

Now, the menbers of an hive are all psychically connected, they can communicate with a form of telepathy. Whenever the Hive feels the dead of their Queen, one of them molts into the new Queen. There's some theories that there's a specific xeno dubbed proto-matriarch that's marked as a replacement or that any Xeno can do it if the Hive requires a new Queen.

What aesthetic there is in Lovecraft's novels? Pretty much everything is describes as just terrifying, macabre or weird and "cyclopean" if it's also big.
Not really seeing the connection.
I agree.

Have we seriously had the thread go on for this long without anyone mentioning Infestation?
Forget the disaster that stole Sega's money, THIS was the Aliens game that mattered that year. Basically they took the very logical approach of ripping off Metroid, but added a very entertaining "lives" mechanic: you control a squad of four marines, and when one of them dies, they're actually dead. (Luckily, you can recruit more people, if you can find them).
It was a great game. Anyone who missed it should at least give it a pirate.

i know that feel user.

Any way to play DS games on the PC?

wouldn't make sense considering how integral the touch screen is.

You can emulate games that don't use the touch screen perfectly, don't bother with the rest.

What about trying to emulate it on my android tablet?

Another difference is that Bees and Ants have infighting over breeding workers, the workers can breed but they usually produce males. It's not in the interest of fellow workers because they have more genetically in common with the queen that breeds them then their nephews so they eat any eggs they catch to protect the queen they're related to because that ensures their genes are passed on through her eggs. And workers will side with one queen over another and have civil wars, and workers in some species are just lazy and have to be bullied to work or they'll just mooch.

NO

Big time Alien fan here.
Fun fact. Geiger would trip out on opiates while planning his art creations. He said the drawing for the alien came to him in a nightmare. The entire book "necronomicon" is comprised of images geiger supposedly saw in his nightmares.

Oh, hey, that's really cool

So I installed Colonial Marines with the overhaul mod that supposedly makes it not such a shit game, and no, it's still a shit game. It's the first game I've played in years that was so bad I just stopped playing and uninstalled it a few hours in because I realized I wasn't having any fun at all.

Well sure, Desmume has been around for a long time.

Are any of the AvP2 sites still online?

Probably not, depending how old it is it's already memory holed.

Hey guys what did you think of this movie Giger worked on?

never watched it, but all my damn school did.

That was the movie with the alien chick that just wanted to fuck "the superior male".
Really cheesy shit, I still remenber the part where she learns all the rules of chess by passing her finger over a book, too overdone IMO.
But it's cool that she murders another woman when she perceives that she's a rival and when she refuses to have sex with a dude after noticing some genetic defect in his eyes.
That was a fun movie to watch, cheesy like all Sci-Fi movies should be and it even had a sequel with her offspring.

Hey guys what's going on in this thread?

Are the movies any good?

The first one is fantastic.

I cannot express how disgusted I am with all that anthropomorphism.

Why?

It got about 123 more replies than these kinds of thread tend to get.

you cant expect much from a dead IP

AvP2 is still good, dead IP or no.