Did you ever notice that the sign of declining videogame quality is lack of quotable lines?

Did you ever notice that the sign of declining videogame quality is lack of quotable lines?

Think about it. Time was every other game was shit you would see quoted on places like Holla Forums. Things like "What is a man?", "A Hind D? Colonel whats a Russian gunship doing here?" or even written shit like "There was a hole here, its gone now" was a sign of just how much people enjoyed the products of the time.

Think back to last gen and it turned into memeshit. "Praise the sun xD" and "Le Destiny is Destiny" stuff from internet humour rather than memorable scenes in games or as an example of a games quality.

Now we have current gen and the only videogame quotes i see are "You're gonna have a bad time", "Such a lust for Revenge… WHOOOOOOO?" and "Kos or as some say KOSM" being the only regularly occuring videogame quotes from an entire generation of vidya thats in its 3rd year.

Is this a sign of the declining quality of writing in vidya and its just not often brought up?

bad voice acting and good voice acting

Nah this sounds too far out there to be criteria for a good game.

It's just that the people playing games now are redditors and normalfags. If vidya was still a Kool Kidz Klub you wouldn't have anything against the arrow in the knee meme. It's just associated with cancer, but deep down it's no different than other shit random lines that people have repeated forever.

ARROW

KNEE

REE REE REEEEEE

The lines of the past stuck because they occured at memorable moments. Nobody would give a fuck about random guards, even "stop right there criminal scum" requires some action on the players part to trigger it and therefore make it memorable.

Quotes have changed. It's no longer about choice phrases, metaphors or memorable speeches. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by memes and image macros.

Quotes, and their consumption of communication, have become a well-oiled meme-chine.

Quotes have changed.

Memorable lines are printed on memorable images, use memorable impact font. Mememachines inside their reddit boards regulate their reposting.

Screencap control.
Upboat control.
Retweet control.
Communication control.
Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Quotes have changed.

The age of thought provocation has become the age of memes. All in the name of playing the public like a damn fiddle.

And he who controls the memes, controls history.

Quotes have changed.

When the conversation is under total control, quotes… become routine.

The declining quality of video games is actually one of the better examples of the effects of capitalism's tendency for the rate of profit on investment to decline over time. The need for perpetual growth to counteract this while competing leads to consolidation of smaller projects into lesser and larger ones. In a creative medium like video games, large bloated projects with hundreds or thousands of people working on them and massive financial risk in marketing means that they are forced to make the safest design decisions possible, always second-guessing the unknown subjectives of innovation.

I wish I could say that the drought of good games that started around 2006 will some day come to an end, but I'm really starting to suspect that this is how the industry will continue marching until it implodes.

Forgot image.

You have touched a very dangerous subject. Better just back away and be silent. This thread will be shitposted to death.

Semi-seriously though: having a different opinion is not as allowed as before, and that means less diversity in creative material. It can easily be seen in media - in the creation, distribution and promotion.

Movies are watered down by all inclusive shit. Games are just a hollow shell of a game, good parts are sold later, if ever. Really good stories in books are changed in the later editions to make them more appealing.
The ride never ends.

Blame the industrialization of video games.
Any time you make an industry out of an art, it goes to shit.
Just look at film, TV, illustration, sculpture, etc.

Metal Gear Rising was pretty quotable.

So quote it. In a memorable way. I dare you.

rib and bear XD

Hotline Miami seems quotable, but I could be wrong about that.

'Give war a chance'
'Memes, the DNA of the soul'
'Like the good ol' days after 9-11'
'I'm FUCKIN' INVINCIBLE'
'Nanomachines, son'
'Limp-dicked lawyers and chicken-shit bureaucrats'
GO NINJA GO NINJA GO

Sorry my bad. I mixed MGR as MGV. Rising is pretty much the quote-factory. Shit.

Even then

I had forgotten the: "Limp-dicked lawyers and chicken-shit bureaucrats". Glorious fun.

How about when Armstrong yells MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN

Other than that and when Venom's Diamonds quote, nothing really all that memorable. Course, that could just be down to having only played the story once since having a list of missions and the way the game is made doesn't require replaying the story.

I'm pretty sure that flute is a reference to "Midsummer Night's Dream". Might be wrong though.
Can't find a pic of a flute, or anything relating to Shakespeare.

Titanfall 2 has plenty of cool lines. Halo used to be the premier action-movie line-giver, but I guess this will do for now.

wat

Fixed. What you are seeing now with games is just a repeat of what they did with films, which was just a repeat of how they "modernized" art and started valuing art houses you you'd know which abortion on a canvas was worth 50 million dollars.

Huey's "I'm innocent" stuff gets quoted quite a bit I've seen

Does it? The only one that comes to mind is BT always saying "Trust me." There's fun dialogue in there but I wouldn't call it quotable

"Your journey ends here, Pilot. the skies belong to me.", "I will not lose another pilot", "I'm not gonna kill you. But. You don't get to kill me either."

I liked them. The whole game is probably my favourite this year.

To be perfectly honest, I've avoided talking about MGSV since it released. This is probably the most I've talked about it since it came out.

Why did they have to kill Metal Gear in such a shitty way

Jews eventually just make every art form scatological, do we have any games that have reached that point yet? Conker doesn't count.

i still remember when people would just do HADOKEN for no fucking reason at all IRL
it was the 2000's

Retro nostalgiafags were insufferable even back then.

yeah, that or they were some of the only voice acting in the game and you heard them all the time
I'll bet many of you know all of this guy's lines.

But those aren't terribly quotable, and that last one just reminds me of the big cock block at the end.

-Academician Prokhor Zakharov, "For I Have Tasted The Fruit"

Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars.

Don't know what to tell you, they stuck with me. Plus, I remember the boss guy from the first game, so I didn't really want him dead at the moment.

All these quotes people have posted in defense of modern quotes are things I've never heard before. Outside of the MGR ones about memes. And that's only because of where we are.

=Fuck this gay earth. When BT came back on a new body I thought everything was gonna be ok==

I got so sad I messed my redtext. Fuck

Bu really, I haven't had an emotional ride like that ina long time on a game

Ni en un millón de años, chingado.

Were is so easy

I was hoping there'd be something a little more heartfelt if you picked "What's our way out of this?"
His death would have had a lot more impact if it wasn't so fucking obvious from the start he was going to die. Still sucked to see him go
fun/10 worth the fifteen bucks I paid for it

NAUGHTY SECRETS

Also some lines unsaid are memorable

Blow your brains out.

Nah

No need to lie on the internet user

Nigger, I WISH that was how the franchise ended.

Even the songs are quotable. RULES OF NATURE being the figurehead, but pretty much any of the lyrics can get stuck in your head.

Also

So you're quoting Dark Souls as a bad game, because Youtube fags adopted it?

A South Park quote from 10 years ago?

I wish i could be as naive and ignorant as you are right now.

Alright, sure.

That's what I paid for it because my grandmother sent me an origin gift card for my birthday
I didn't know what else to do with it

relatively few things will stick in your mind anyways, youre comparing decades of enjoying video games to the last few years.

quoting video games is for autists

you wanna pizza, me boy?

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

THIS POTS GIVIN ME BLISTERS, PHEW

Need a dispenser here!

Undertale, user.

Watch after the credits, and learn morse code

FUCK YOU

We're All Soldiers Now

The end? Don't bet on it!

>

Isn't it binary, not morse?

Among other things but I must admit, I am somewhat disappointed in UNATCO.

Someone called it morse, I wouldn't know the difference honestly.

gee you sure are hip and trendy.
In all reality, Dark Souls was a fresh and original game that was very quotable. Redditors latched on late in its life cycle, causing Holla Forums to act like it was always poisonous to start with.

A really memorable and quotable game from recently is Furi. All kinds of shit you can take from that.

But Undertale rips off all kinds of pop culture, so I mean it's still a South Park reference at its core.

Deus Ex really is a meme game. Half the discussion about the game is lines that aren't even from the game itself.

Max Payne 3 had some pretty sick quotes.
YOU'LL WALK
WITH A LIMP

So did Ring Runner but no one actually played that game.

I disagree, those are just elements that people have taken and spun it into memes, they weren't intended to be memes from the get go. Because there's a lot of things in the game that could've easily been memes that aren't. Embed Related.

also I'll add that Anachronox had similar crazy shit in it. It's just what Ion Storm did.

Because we don't play new video games because they're shit and therefore we don't remember their dumb quotes

How retarded do you have to be to think this?
Overkike quotes fill internet forums everywhere, doesn't mean its a masterpiece.

fucking loved that robot.

Also

It's no different from movies.
Dialogue and music has become background noise.
When's the last time you heard a memorable quote or music theme?
The videogame industry is just becoming closer to the way hollywood is run.

Bare in mind most of the time these quotes that people highlight a lot weren't intentionally designed to be "quotable" and meme related.

Like for instance with Skyrim I honestly don't think Arrow to the Knee was intentionally written to be meme related. I think they wanted "let me guess someone stole your sweet roll" to be more quotable because a lot more characters said it and it ties into a recurring meme of sweet rolls in Bethesda games.

A lot of the time these lines come off as mundane to the writers and to the voice actors but it's the combination of the hammy voice acting in older games that causes them to become memed. Like a big reason Deus Ex has so many quotable lines is mostly because of how hammy and deadpan the voice acting is.

I also think it's because a lot of video game writers try to make their games more and more self serious.

pls go and never be not go

I think it's more about the delivery, the same could be said with music.

I'm sure there's some other DP lines you could quote, but it's been too long for me to remember.

Thanks for reminding me about Half-Life quotes
"Morning Mr Freeman, looks like you're running late"
"Wake up, and smell the ashes"
"Time, Dr Freeman?"
"Sorry Doc" "Here, have a medkit"
"It's me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa"
"Doctor Freeman I presume"

There was a time when games didn't really have quotes. I had to use my imagination when it came to story and plot for a lot of games because unless it was an RPG, there was hardly any text and you were lucky to get voices in them.

You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.

I don't need more quotes.

I wish out of anything for Fromsoft to re-release Demon's souls on the PS4 or something, so I can at least live out active invasions and co-op that I missed out on

You probably wouldn't like Demon's Souls pvp. It's pretty much a grass eating contest. There's a very good reason healing items were heavily restricted in Dark Souls

I want to say it wasn't terribly good but there was a lot of fun salt times back when the Scraping Spear and Rust Cloud was a thing.

Is this from that South Park game? All I can think of is that Reddit meme with some South Park character.

From vicious giant insects who have once again come back!

Where do you think we are?

I remember reading somewhere that taking an arrow to the knee has something to do with marriage.

Not all great games are very quotable. Some "great" gaming quotes are borrowed from other media.

OP is AIDS-infected cockslurping faggot who plays games for muh story

No shit OP. You came so dangerously close to being self-aware.

Will there ever be another game as quotable as MGR?

I think MGR was the last great quotable game because it required Platinum levels of Git Gud, even if it was easy as fuck in comparison to most of their games.

Thus, the memes were never adapted by normalfags because they could never GET to Armstrong, much less beat him.

I bet you my left nut that those faggots never saw this screen by playing the game themselves.

Did it really though? I mean one of the games most normalfags tout as "teh hardest game evar" is dark souls and I found dark souls to be more challenging than MGR. Especially once you figure out the parry system most of it becomes a cakewalk.

I hope Nier Automata is good.
If it isn't, I'll have to take off my Platinum Fanboy Beer Goggles. And despite some of the shit games Platinum has been putting out recently, I really, REALLY don't wanna do that.

Our horses rrrrrrrready

The worst part is that the character who is associated with the line

NEVER FUCKING SAYS IT

It's a small bit of flavortext if you survive his first attack that says "You feel like you're gonna have a bad time…" Which is eventually traded out for "You feel your sins crawling up your back…"

The arrow to the knee CAN be that, but it's also a reference to the lack of faulds in the game as you just make boots and torso and you magically have leggings.

IT JUST WERKS!

the reason for the lack of quotable lines is that they're trying too hard to make quotable lines.

remember, normalfags don't have reflexes or understand the concept of hitting a button and a direction at the same time.

That's a well dressed snake.
Does it wear a BOA tie?

Games are still quoteable, just not as much as they used to be. MGSV and Dragon's Dogma had plenty of memorable lines.

Personally, I want more RE4, STALKER and God Hand tier enemy voice lines.

ONE BIG FUCKING HOLE COMING RIGHT UP

Overwatch is quoted quite a lot

WAR HAS CHANGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

Armstrong himself is legitimately hard. Especially the part where you have split second timing to cut the shit he throws at you. Luckily you can just run under it but you won't get any health items if you do that.

With respect, you are wrong

Never played the game, never watched it played, but what limited bits I do know about the game actually makes me cringe.

Well, the "Do you like hurting other people?" was a pretty bold and memorable quote if you ask me

Amongst raging faggotss

Basically:

Honestly it's a good example of how it's the game that makes the meme popular and not the other way around. Since it would never have become a meme had it not been for that boss fight and the music that plays with it.

Frankly, if you want to play it just go through MGS2 again, it's not that big a change.

I can't help but feel sorry for the guy who made Underkike. He didn't want his game to take off the way it did, with people forcing the THIS CHARACTER IS GAY, or THIS CHARACTER IS A TRANNY bullshit, but that's pretty much the questions that people would ask him in interviews to the point that he would just end an interview on that shit.

I'm not saying that makes the game okay, but it really does piss me off that the degenerate liberals feel the need to push their bullshit in places where it doesn't belong, that we have to hear questions about gender politics when asked of a guy who made a game where you do battle by puzzle pieces.

Do you mean what game has it been in? Or have you just not seen old south park?

It's alright, friend, Holla Forums loved the game before it was taken for a ride by Tumblr. There's no shame in liking it, it's just going to be reactionary autists bitching about the game instead of bitching about the fandom.

YUH HOT FUH DAYS
as a guyanigger, george was a fucking treat

I never played it. It's just not my kind of game, to be honest, and then when all the shit about how the game plays started getting talked about, I *REALLY* didn't want it. The guy has my sympathy for his game getting cooped as some "statement" that it isn't, but I don't have any interest in ever playing it.

Can't place there m'lord
God this pot's hot

Darksouls may be the harder when going in blind but at any point you can easily look up a guide on how to cheese the whole game.

Where as MGR can be easier if your already familiar with action games.
A normal fag will get there shit kicked in because they lack the reflexes.
Just look at how many people give up when they get to Blade Wolf.

garbage

Dude, it literally rains healing items on you if cut the shit he throws in half.

OUR GRANARY IS GROWING, SIRE.
PEASANTS ARE COMING TO THE CASTLE!
YOUR TREASURY IS INCREASING
No taxes is good and all, but a gift would be nice… Go On!

Bazinga!

They are all memes you faggot.

"Meme" is such a broad term that it could be applied to literally any idea that can be expressed into works.

It's too early to see what will stick or not.

Life is strange probably has a few good quotes

Only in the eye-rollingly cringey sense of things like reefer madness.

"I thought you believed in gun control."
"Yes, i believe that i should control the gun, it's the men that need to be checked!"

go fuck yourselfie

AM I THE ONLY SANE ONE HERE?

HE'S A WOLF

He did put gays and trannies in the game though. Quit explicitly; one encounter is making a pair of soldiers stop trying to kill you by making one strip and convincing the other to confess his homosexual crush on him, after which they leave to go buy ice cream.

He got exactly the fandom he asked for, along with a ton of money. He has no right to complain.

On-topic:

Dosh meme doesn't count.

"Ashen one, hearest thou my voice, still?"
"Cold piss, why did it come to this…"
"You are a dragon, more dragon than I."
"This cesspool of doddering oldfolk and degenerates."
"You, you! Me me Pickle Pee! Me, me Pump-a-rum!"

Moe~

so what about the tranny then?

"THE ONLY ACCIDENT I FEAR WILL BE YOUR HEAD FALLING INTO A VAT OF ACID WITH ME WEARING YOUR MORON FUCKING FACE AS A PARTY MASK"

There's a robot that is actually a ghost possessing a robot because he wanted to be a TV star. He's fabulous, camp, calls everyone "darling" and does lots of poses. Some people think JoJo, Tumblr thinks tranny.

Tumblr also thinks the protagonist is "nonbinary" or "agender" or also "tranny." Also mute in some cases, because Tumblr loves fetishizing disabilities and mental illness so long as it's "cute." But all of these are squarely on Tumblr's head.

Oh, and two major characters are in lesbians with each other, but that was less blatant than the big gay knights.

So a lot of it is Toby Fox giving Tumblr an inch, and Tumblr taking the entire thing.

A HUNTER MUST HUNT

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POOWAAH
of Moe~

No one has quoted those, ever. DaS3 is by far the most forgettable of the series.

If this game wasn't "localised" the quotes would be better known

I CAN'T HEAR YOU
i CAN'T SEE YOU

I NEED A BIGGER GUN

I miss this game.

People quote the cesspool line all the time, faggot.

FUCKHEADS

You cant fight nature, Jack.

Man, the original Xenoblade's dub is quote city.

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE

LOOKS LIKE WE DON'T HAVE A CHOICE

MONADO, LEND US YOUR POWER

whata buncha jokers

LETS NOT LOSE OUR 'EADS THOUGH

I'M REALLY FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELING IT

NOW IT'S REYN TIME

OH YEAH, BABY

B-B-B-BUUUUURNINATE

Nope, gameplay is everything and most of my favorite games don't have any lines at all.

Fuck off with that bullshit…you know what game are gameplay only? moba and they are shit
Story>=gameplay

Have you ever played strategy / simulators or builders? or are you a console pleb?

SHOW ME YA MOVES
YES
FALCON KICK
FALCON PUNCH
YES
YES
COME ON!!

Yes. It does. But the timing is too tight and I don't play the easier difficulties so if I get hit by it I'm pretty much dead and have to restart the fight. Raining healing items on you means jackshit when you die from failure.

Oh man OP, you just reminded me…
I'M NO ONE'S SLAVE!

"tumblr thinks" doesn't mean that's what it is, Metaton is just flamboyant, you see that shit all the time in anime and only people that are fucked in the head would associate that with being trans.