NES Classic hacks incoming

Space for 512 MB of ROMs available confirmed. Pins suggest memory was flashed mounted on the board, meaning it would be possible to flash it again without de-soldering anything.

Chips suggest software emulation so is there anything suggesting an advantage to a Nintendo designed engine as opposed to the ones already available for free? Are there any forms of inaccuracies still plaguing them where Nintendo, as having access to all design documents, could outperform them?

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/
linux-sunxi.org/Nintendo_NES_Classic_Edition
data.nintendo.co.jp/oss/NintendoEntertainmentSystemNESClassicEdition_OSS.zip
arstechnica.
hackaday.
deepfreeze.it/outlet.php?o=ars_technica
youtube.com/watch?v=0HZmoSHMNg0#t=7m4s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why?

these hacks are pretty easy and only worth getting and going out of your way to hack the box if you get the shitbox at half the price

oh wow so you mean a SBC in a fancy fake NES box is a SBC? stop the presses

Why should I care about a boxed leftover phone SOC shipped with a bunch of NES roms?

Wow, some people sure as fuck are mad.

If chips are flashed before they are mounted you can't just reflash them easily because you won't have the needed circuitry on the board, retard. So yes, this in news.

Who the fuck buys this shit? Who is that retarded?

just put a chinky SBC in a papercraft mini NES and you get the same shit plus extra for less money

This is the classic console game consumer everyone. They are fucking idiots. You do know need 4 separate machines for the same fucking games. You are using a PC to post so use the same PC to play your nostalgia bullshit games.

Is that an Allwinner processor? Those are standard ARM chips with lots of Linux support. I wonder what it'll take to run a full desktop on it.

Why don't people just buy those dollar store nintendo on a chip boxes that come with a billion pirated carts?

I have no need for one, I'm just curious to see what will happen with them.

Yes. There's 256 MB of DDR3 RAM so it should do adequately unless you are too ambitious.

Because this one is real Nintendo n shit. Why are you even asking?

Beans and rice transmutation socks.

Why so mad though?

Because they are shit quality. I for one would like a quality retro console, but the NES Mini is too expensive for what it offers in my opinion. If it was possible to easily mod it that would be a very good plus. And I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo made it easy to mod on purpose.

Redditors trying way too hard to fit in on an anonymous imageboard

…wat?

>don't play anything on it because I'd rather just play stuff on my desktop, but my dad was impressed by it

Can it run ganoo slash luonix

Looked up the price thinking maybe it wasn't so bad.

60 USD.

WHO THE FUCK WOULD BUY THIS?

drones

thanks for the blog update, anime girl

Even with documentation Nintendo's internal emulators suck dicks, I remember getting slowdown while playing super mario world on WiiU, I'm glad Nintendo has farmed off the Switch to Nvidia, their hardware/ system software team is a fucking joke, by comparison the Microsoft team are absolutely excellent, and I wish more companies would port older games to run natively on newer hardware for free.

Call me when they release an N64 mini, Nintendo's emulator for N64 games actually works.

Eh, no? Nintendo has never manufactured the components you know. That doesn't mean they don't design the system or decide what custom functions they want from the chips.

Shit tbh fam

Think about it, they don't sell games for the console, just the system itself. So if someone puts five hundred ROMs onto the NES Mini Nintendo makes absolutely zero loss. All that matters is that people buy the system, so if making it easy to hack is what will push some people over the edge, then there is no reason not to make it easy to hack.

Nvidia is designing the hardware and the system software/apis/os.

nerdcreed retards

ey what game?

Sauce.

every time

blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

Undoubtedly Nintendo had a say but I think Nvidia is doing most of the work, it's probably part of what is supposed to be a killer deal Nintendo secured with Nvidia who are apparently desperate to get both a console contract and to get their Tegra chips moving, although I recall they put them in cars, but Switch is still a few million more Tegras annually even if it moves slowly which is more than likely what will happen.

For once we will see Nvidia Gameworks used properly.

nigga you sure love trading off quality for convenience

emulating on SBCs are already a huge accuracy tradeoff.

ideally you would make a mini-pc rig connected to a TV with powerful processor so you could even do PS2 games or watch 10-bit anime

Just like get a PSP or Vita ,even a cheap samsung would leave you better off then this shit

I see where you could get the idea but it's frankly conjecture. The only thing it says NVIDIA did is

The rest simply asserts that it was done or that "we" did it which could just mean "Nintendo and NVIDIA". Even if "we" means just NVIDIA that part only refers to optimization and integration. Three things make me doubt Nintendo just handed development over:

It's not Japanese character.
Even for a Japanese company Nintendo has historically been strongly invested in getting "their" solution.
If a jew company can take credit for something they will assert this as explicit as possible to promote themselves. If they can't they will write something that kind of makes it sound like they did it without actually really saying they did so their jew lawyers can point at the legal distinction. This blog post reads like the latter.

So we can put Rasbian on it or what?

Why would you buy this shit when you can get it for free?

If you really want just use a Raspberry PI like device and then when you get bored of emulators you can use it for something not worthless like a basic home server or something.

Also its not even an FPGA? Wow, fucking piece of shit. Worthless. They probably just borrowed code from an open source emulator and slapped this trash together. To what I understand you can basically rebuild an entire nes into a single FPGA package and have maximum compatability….but that would cost money.

We have cycle accurate NES emulation. Where exactly is this "quality" loss?

Linux is up and running. People are currently going over the OSS code trying to get NAND access.

linux-sunxi.org/Nintendo_NES_Classic_Edition
data.nintendo.co.jp/oss/NintendoEntertainmentSystemNESClassicEdition_OSS.zip

still not as convenient or as good as the original hardware with RGB hooked up to a good CRT.

I don't think you understand what cycle accurate means. In fact, I know you don't. Google it and then get back to me with a snarky comment about how I'm still wrong even though you know that I'm 100% correct, but your ego won't let you admit otherwise.

but do you have the 4 button snes pad and a billion dollarydoo crt?

i didnt think so you fucking faggot

the good part of the NES catalog for less than a digital download current game, not bad.
it's brand name overpriced by several times, but not beyond sanity. it'd make a good present for a technically illiterate relative or child. I'll stick to emulators, I'd buy one if I wasn't broke.

Which NES emulator is cycle accurate? The ones I'm seeing (puNES, Nestopia) have high accuracy, but aren’t cycle accurate.

pick your cancer

I wish this thing had RGB output instead so that i could play on a CRT monitor, i'd buy like 3 if it had

It's time to stop faggots, are you going to fucking play one of the 3 obscure games that need a cycle accurate emulator?

This is not N64 or Dreamcast emulation

Just get any fucking emu and play fag, i hate you picky elitist fuckers

You assume too little of others. He is right, cycle accuracy captures precise intet of original hardware. You seem to value original hardware incredibly lowly. A good crt (might cost $60-140 if you are smart) will complete half the deal on the best NES experience possible once you combine it with, of course, original hardware and a good back up loading arrangement.

Fuck off.

i'm reluctant to ask, but whats the story here this time?

Assuming that's the Raspberry Pi, explain.

it was at the very beginning of goyimgate when RaspPi went and virtue signalled hard on twitter

He's at aleast partially right, there is such a thing as too accurate (strictly talking about emulation as a mean to play games of course otherwise it doesn't apply) for it's own good, higan for example, you'd have a hard time finding inaccuracies as a normal user in 0.94 yet 1.0.1 is more accurate (and slower).

NES emulation in general isn't held back by accuracy concerns but rather mapper support Nestopia / Mesen / PuNES are close enough that it doesn't matter, I don't think any of those doesn't support every commercial game properly, it really comes down to which you prefer looking at and which has the options you want
FCEUmm might also be an interesting choice for playing games as it supports Overclocking (without pitch change) meaning you can erase the slowdown in some games but it has issues with commercial games especially with OC on (not only because OC breaks things on it's own but it requires using the old PPU code which is less accurate)

Homebrew and bootleg is where it's gonna get complicated some only work in some emulator because they support the specific mapper used for that game.

God damn it, those things sound handy too.

you can get those botnet sticks instead. they're x86 which is a plus, and are just perfect for couch emulation and you can run windows games too - think serious sam splitscreen with friends.

the problem is you'll have to deal with win10 (if you keep them offline that won't be a problem) as sticks preinstalled with ubuntu have less ram and memory.

Lurk moar, it's just a fucking TOR user.

But if there's one that's cycle accurate, why not pick it anyway?

Can't you replace the OS? what happens when Windows fucks itself?

Kek.

Sources on this? I'm getting one for my brother's newborn so he'll be able to start on the NES as is right and proper, so if I can add some of the missing classics (Dragon Warrior 1-4, Tetris, Duck Tales, et cetera) then I would love to know how possible and difficult it would be.

arstechnica. com/gaming/2016/11/nes-classic-joins-the-can-it-run-linux-club-has-custom-distro-installed/
hackaday. com/2016/11/13/linux-on-your-nes-classic-edition/

Broken links since I can't remember what places are considered cancer or not. This is after like four days of work so I'd expect we'll have custom flashing anytime from the next few days to in the next few weeks depending on how off the shelf the system is. This is assuming the memory was flashed mounted on the board.

You can fit the entire NES worldwide catalog in just under 100mb.

leaving space for cover art actually…

I like the plastic case.
I might buy one if it's dirt cheap, rip it out and put a Raspberry PI with Retropi in it.

arstechnica is cancer, user.

deepfreeze.it/outlet.php?o=ars_technica

you can reprogram chips while they are soldered on you fucktard

KILL YOURSELF

Chips are the crunchy potato slices you silly duck

Brit here, you're thinking of crisps.

Only if the circuitry on the board gives you access to all the pins you need, idiot.

>implying your autism will be satisfied until you have emulator + ROMs on modded NES Classic

Nice, thanks.

yeah but serious sam fucking sucks.

sound is garbage and out of sync on NES mini

You can download every nes rom on the net for free. A usb controller would also cost less than the nes classic box. So I agree with
Why?

Why is everyone so retarded, you think casuals understand emulation at all? this is who it's for you retards.

You take that back!

I'm glad I never got something like this for my nephew, the kid is absolute trash at video games. He's 6 years old and still can't grasp the concept of using a D-Pad and Buttons at the same time. It's like watching my Grandma trying to send an Email. I tried to make it easy for him and give him a bunch of games to play that don't require a lot of reading or menu navigation, but the little shit can't even play Mario right. He just runs headlong into the same Goomba over and over and over again, and if by some miracle he manages to avoid it - he'll promptly die by barreling baby dick first into the nearest pit. I wasn't no Fred Savage wizard at that age, but holy shit, I could at least make it 2~3 stages into a game without too much difficulty.

He wants to play the new stuff with the shiny graphics, but I keep giving him older console games and arcade titles to play when he comes over. I like to tell myself that they'll toughen him up and give him a sense of taste in vidya, but really it's just because I don't want him constantly bugging me because he can't handle complex controls, opened a menu on accident and freaked out, or because he died in record time and can't figure out how to get back into the game.

I had a friend who's kid was about the same age, and I'd go over there and his kid would be playing Super Mario Galaxy and he was actually really fucking good for his age. He had timing down, had a handle on the controls, could navigate the menus (even though he couldn't read them properly), and would tell me all about these little "strategies" he had for beating enemies.

I was so goddamned jealous. Why can't I have a cool nephew who's good at vidya?

If you're replacing Nintendo's emulation software on the thing then what the hell is the point just get a micro-computer and make your own emulation box.

Congratulations, much more authentic emulation for only 2/3 of the cost or less.

And as a bonus if you get the normal classic controller, you get rock-solid emulation for every console made up until the SNES and Sega CD, who needs an everdrive?

Oh and I forgot to mention all the Gamecube and Wii games you could pirate. Good times.

And if you were really autistic about having most of Nintendo's library, once Wii U piracy finally gets its shit together and gets a significant price drop

>do everything you listed except Gamecube games Wii U has the same type of cabling for CRTs as Wii, shouldn't be an issue
>added bonus of emulating DS games using a mix of injects and Wii U's DS emulator
>added bonus of using NES controller for games like Shovel Knight and Mario Maker

WiiU has native support for Gamecube, Nintendo just didn't enable it for some reason.

You can seriously build an NES emulator box for like 35 bucks

Enjoy your input lag, you platinum faggot

You are not the target market. Analogue gaming id dead. I wouldn't be surprised if the twitch was HDMI only.

I'm just going to leave this here.

youtube.com/watch?v=0HZmoSHMNg0#t=7m4s

I think it can be interpreted both ways, and I interpreted it both ways my self initially, I guess we won't know until it's out but considering that developers have been praising the system and it's software, and not complaining like previous Nintendo systems I think there's a good chance Nvidia has been doing the work. If it ends up being mismanaged by Nintendo then I really can't wait to see that the OS hoards 2GB of Ram, when shit like the Xbox 360 that had an OS much snappier than the WiiU's and with more features that had to exist in a system with 512MB of Ram total. Step it up Nintendo.

If you want to do something like that, get an Odroid C2. It's got the same pinout, it's faster, it doesn't have all it's USB sockets and the ethernet jack sharing one USB2 port internally and it fits in most RasPi cases. You can use Lakka instead of RetroPie to play all your vidya. It's roughly the same price too.

It's from 2 years ago but I'm still never buying one of their products again. (There's better alternatives anyway. Competitors now have boards that are more FOSS if you give a shit, much cheaper, or perform better for the same price.)

Has anybody tested the NES Classic Edition controller on a Wii/WiiU? I'm kinda tempted to get one, but my issue would be the eventual input lag from the wiimote's wireless signal

The ODROID boards are better for the price anyway

The 2015 edition ubuntu version is cheap as fuck and has a tablet Intel Atom CPU, 1GB RAM and a full sized USB port. It's weak as fuck but it should be more than enough for installing lakka (the retroarch linux distro) and connecting an usb controller. It should run everything up to PSP at least.

Casualfags know what emulation is this isn't 1999.

I love that, "We're not mistaken, we just think you're wrong." As if those two are mutually exclusive. As if being sure of yourself means you can't be mistaken. It's so shallowly self-fulfilling.
"I'm right. I know because I'm confident. And I'm confident because I believe I'm right."

i bought my pi just before this happened, i'd absolutely go with odroid, orange or some other board in the future.
that said i'd probably pick up one of thost $5 pi's if i ever found one in a store.

Pretty much. NEStopia is pretty easy.

My shoes come from Vietnam. Put an Asics logo on it and BAM €150.

People pay for the Nintendo brand.

who gives a fuck? 99% of the NES catalog aged like absolute dogshit, there's about 15 games worth replaying nowadays and that's it

60 dollars I could spend on storage or something similar, when I already have a computer and several devices that can emulate.

a lot of the games did age surprisingly well, i just can't see why you wouldn't get an open microcomputer instead of something locked to only nes games.

You are right user, tried flashing the chip. No dice.

Sure, it would work, but it wouldn't be ideal compared to a hacked Wii on a CRT display.

I can think of a few reasons.

As the NES Mini Classic Edition is a real NES model it outperforms all emulators by definition.
Simply by the fact that how the NES plays the installed games sets the standard for any device emulating it.

I thought this thread would be about good ROM hacks of classic NES games.
Disappointed.
Play Mario Adventure, Extra Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3Mix

You're wrong. Your dad is not impressed.

So no one has bothered to see what signal is getting fed to the HDMI converter chip? Cause I don't think it's composite.

Is there Lakka support for the ODROID-C2 yet? I only know about the ODROID-C1+ getting it.

Those romhacks are fucking great user
Metroid Rogue Dawn is going to be released soon, and it looks/sounds amazing

Some people are suggesting you don't need to to access the UART pins on the board to do shit because you have access through the USB-mini port used for power, as they can at least get some basic communication with the CPU through it. No proper Linux builds working yet as there still are some issues with system access and communication with the hardware.

Currently the best scenario supported by evidence is flashing directly over USB without any modifications, but it remains to be seen what the actual reality is.

I think those people are just hipsters