Can we take a minute to talk about the "Shock" series?

Can we take a minute to talk about the "Shock" series?
I miss that feeling of being in a crazy place with a semi open almost maze like map.
Of course Infinite doesn't count.

Other urls found in this thread:

othersideentertainment.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what about it user? It's pretty much dead, and if it isn't then it's probably just gonna be more shit like infinite since that sold gangbusters.

The series was never good.

I'm not saying they are going to be good but apparently some people still care.

It's dead just like Baldur's Gate lad

System Shock is a completely different franchise from Bioshock.

Can we talk about the ASSFAGGOTS series?

hooooo boy

please tell me none of the big AAA publishers (EA, Acti, Bethesda, etc) are involved

It's a third party developer. They've got a website somewhere.

They aren't, it seems to be a very indie project.

NO
No fuck off to plebbit where you belong to.

dont even think to get your hopes up user. In [current year] nothing good can come out of a sequel to two of the most beloved computer games of all time.

They will fuck it up. They will inject retarded politics into it. They will dumb it down. They will make you wish they had never touched it.

I want it to be good, I really really do but I have no hope anymore

Bioshock 2 was objectively the best in the series. If you disagree, you're wrong.

You fags been sleeping under a rock or something?
Theres an SS1 remake, which I think will be alright for the most part considering Night Dive is ok and its the same guys who did Spirits of Xanadu but with an actual budget this time.

Then theres SS3, that shit is done by Otherside Entertainment and has some good names but not much else, mostly business men including Warren Spector whos gone full Mcintosh so Im not expecting anyth9ing out of it.
Also no Doug Church, they're also doing a spiritual sequel to Ultima Underworld.
Heres the website
othersideentertainment.com/

kill yourself

I am still amazed at how good the interface to SS2 was considering when it came out. Why do so many games have shitty interfaces again?

Do you want your tummy rubbed user?

Because if casuals arent getting the HUD slapped onto their face constantly they wont know what to do.

He's right, though, that is a characteristically leddit thing.

Hes right you faggot

I was gonna make this thread yesterday, glad I don't have to be op.

System Shock 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> System Shock 2 > BioShock > Bioshock 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Infinite

So what about the threads with it made before reddit was a thing?

Send me a pic of your tummy user.

Before leddit, I never saw people on imageboards making threads like, "Now that the dust has settled…", "Can we all just…", etc. On the off-chance you're not from plebbit, now you know better for the future.

What happened to level design post SS1? And I don't just mean in the shock series, Citidel Station is so fucking elaborate in terms of level design, it's like a little clockwork machine diorama, fags think Souls have alot of branching forks in it's level design, I love souls but it doesn't have shit on SS1. Also I fucking love SS1's hud, I have a huge hard-on for Info Density in UI's and fucking 70% of the screen is data with only 30% being the view port, I FUCKING LOVE IT, I wish indies that 'want to go retro' would incorporate DOS level of design in their games.

It basically just became more realistic and user friendly. I'm not saying the level designs in SS1 were completely wacky (although the colours often were). So rather than the tangly, sprawling levels of SS1 we had utilitarian levels that were generally smaller and less interesting.

Bioshock 2 > Bioshock > Bioshock Infinite

Maybe.
Definitely not.

They probably put some extra work into it considering that the interface and controls were the most frequent complaint about SS1.

I only really refer to the change from SS1 to SS2.

It turns out the SS1 remake is being retconned. I wonder how these changes are going to affect the upcoming SS3, that will be altered in the SS2 remake in the not too near future.

I aint watching that. How exactly is it being retconned?

I don't know about System Shock but Bioshock has always been shit. The only good thing about Bioshock 1 was the setting; and no, I don't mean the level design.

Go to 8:20.

The thing I hate most about the remake is that everything is dark and more realistic now. The atmosphere of the original game was so great because it felt like you were in a hellish, techno, acid-trip/nightmare. The remake just looks like another generic horror game in space.

The only good Shock games are the System Shock games. All the Bioshit games were literally Call of Duty with bible versus.

I'm not expecting much from this new studio's System Shock sequels at all. I'm expecting them to be loved by the Zenimax Doom/Borderlands-inspired Shadow Warrior reboot crowd, but… that says it all, doesn't it?

The SS remake runs in Unity, lad. It's shit.

I keep trying to play System Shock Enhanced but my graphics freak out and all the colors suddenly invert. Loading a previous save doesn't seem to help. Really annoying.

How did anyone leave SW2 satisfied? I enjoyed the combat for the first few hours but it quickly got really tiresome.
The only things that were good were music/visuals.

I wish Bioshock 2 and 3 were more like 1

Bioshock 1 was complete dogshit.

only the best memes on Holla Forums

Be warned anons. Come 3-4 years there will be a sudden rise in posters who talk favourably about original Bioshock and talk about how it was the 'defining' one in the series and how it 'all went downhill' from there.

I'm willing to bet there's quite a few anons right now who are only dimly aware of System Shock or have no idea it exists

No, user, it's you that need your brain checked.

Also, SS3 is being made by Warren "Cuck" Spector, so nobody should expect anything good there either, not that I would imagine anyone here has any hope left when the project is headed by a man that hasn't participated in making a good game since the original Deus Ex, and even then he was openly mocked by the rest of the team for being a computer illiterate, pretentious idea guy fuckwad.

I wish Bioshock 1, 2 and 3 were more like System Shock 2.

I wish System Shock 2 was more like Dig Dug

Either it becomes a monument to failed remakes and universally hated or somehow they make it good and nostalgiafags everywhere (myself included) jerk their dicks off about how great it is.

Either way at it'll at least be entertaining

Which was a casualized sequel to SS1. SS1 was a proper simulator that attempted to immerse the player into the game, your implant was actually a "physical" thing in the game, in the form of the HUD, that was a control interface proper, on top of featuring more elaborate (albeit broken) hacking, better weapon selection with more ammo types, and even the fucking minigames were better.

SS1 has a "complete" Wing Commander clone with 10+ missions, while SS2 has an Ultima clone, which is neat, but not nearly as cool as a space sim.

I wish we had more games like SS1.

It's not shit because it's in unity, it's shit because they modernized it. Taking away the HUD, having to wait 2 seconds of animation to switch between gun shooting levels, climbing ladders is paaaaaaaaaainfully slow and so on.
We'll see what they make of it.

I have little hope. First, there was no point in doing a 1:1 for level design. They could have gotten more creative, even though I know they would have gotten flak either way. I'm not asking for them to radically redesign the levels, but at least make an effort to not make them look like a Wizardry clone.

Second, the fucking animations, they're everywhere. Anything you interact will play a shitty animation, whenever you pick up a gun it will play a shitty animation. What's the fucking point? It's neat the first time you see it, but afterwards it becomes pure tedium.

Third, they're changing the writing for whatever reason, and since the developers have all the warning signs of being numale cuckolds I can already see where it's going.

Fourth, they changed the music, again, for no good reason. They're messing with shit that was fine, writing and music, but not changing aspects of the game that suffered due to technical limitations.

Also, as said, they've made gameplay a pure tedium by slowly everything down to a crawl, likely for a future console release.

And I have even less faith in the SS3 release.

there isn't much to say. Every single system shock game and bioshock game had serious flaws. The best one if you actually like game play was bioshock 2. If you like "role playing" and "imagination" over actual game play, system shock 2 is probably your favorite. Still, all the imagination in the world can't fix the ineffective, pathetic enemies, the garbage feeling weapons, and the god awful last fourth of the game.

I have incredibly low expectations for anything else related to system shock or bioshock. I don't see how anyone can have high hopes at this point. The western industry needs a lot of time and new blood to recover.

What I'm really mad about is the complete inability of the industry to recreate something on the level of SS1 or 2. BioShock was a step back in nearly every way compared to its spiritual prequels, yet it was made by the same guy who was responsible for SS2.

GMDX showcases how some love and care, and a few tweaks, can enhance an already great game and modernize it in the right way. Why can't anyone in the industry take note?

Seeing how Prey, the SS1 remake, SS3 and a bunch of other games are being made, there is an interest to revive the FPS/RPG hybrid, but why can't they do it properly? Where's all the ambition gone? You don't even need to be fucking creative, just rip off SS1, 2 and Deus Ex, take what works, wrap it up in a neatly animated package with good art direction and pretty graphics and let it sell.

How hard can doing something like that be?

I don't really care very much for the fpsrpg genre. It usually has some of the worst feeling, shallowest mechanics around.

Only if you approach it as an FPS first and RPG second. SS1 and 2 were basically a continuation of the Ultima Underworld line of thought, which culminated in Deus Ex. Everything afterwards was a step back, or a lateral move in the wrong direction.

I'm still waiting for a game to properly mesh skill point allocation and player twitch reflexes in a satisfying manner.

it's more of a problem with the first person genres and how rpgs are approached in the west entirely. It's not conducive to much more than pointing and shooting.

this is the kind of thinking that gets us games like Bioshock

Fuck off, you know what I meant. I no more believe Levine was the sole driving force behind BioShock than I believe a clown like Spector was the reason Deus Ex was good.

I was just pointing out that Levine participated in the making of SS2, and was credited for much of the concept behind it, yet BioShock was a step back in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Guess what he did contribute to SS2 was anything but gameplay.

you have a lot to learn about how every game is made and peoples roles on them then

I know full well Warren Spector wasn't all he is drummed up to be, why do you think they named the cheat to generate an EMP blast after him? The man is so technically illiterate it became a running joke he'd fuck up any computer he touched.

Spector, Levine, Molyneux, Romero and all the other gaming virtuosos have proven, time and again, that they don't amount to much without a strong team to back them up. My Levine comment was merely pointing out that there was a clear line of continuity between SS2 and BioShock, Levine was directly involved, to a high degree, in the development of the former, and was in charge of the later.

Point is, why was BioShock such a step back in gameplay? It can't have been just consoles and their limitations, because there's plenty of console games with complex systems in place, and it can't be just a mere focus on narrative, SS2 had that too, didn't stop the gameplay from being what it was. Is it because there was the perception audiences were too dumb to figure out more involved gameplay?

I just finished Minerva's den, it's probably my favourite of the Bioshocks if you discount the walking simulator bullshit at the end. I actually had to think about ammunition, holy shit.

It's an entirely different genre, that's about as asinine as saying Quake 3 is a casualized Morrowind. One's a shooter/horror, one is ultima underworld in space.

bioshock 1 plays better than system shock 2, so its a step forward in game play. bioshock 2 takes bioshock 1's half baked ideas and made a good game out of it.

This so much.

I believe people involved with the SS remake are SJWs too.

inb4 someone starts spouting about how everyone is tripping up about "muh SJWs" and "muh Unity".

Get real, people. Unity is a big red fucking flag.

You know, as long as you can still fuck up and fire the laser without turning on the shielding I'll be happy, there's not enough games that lets you fuck up for pressing random buttons without paying attention to what people are saying.

I take it back. I just hunted down the demo and gave it a play for myself, it's utter shit and nightdive have no idea what made system shock enjoyable.
They're trying to make it a horror game, in the same vein that RE7 is going for, judging by the music or lack thereof.
Then there's the numerous other missing features and design choices that's present in the demo, but you can handwave most of it as it still being a demo and subject to change.

It's not a good first impression.

Series died after SS2. Bioshock is for redditors and ruined first person storytelling in games along with Half-Life 2.

What relation does bioshock have to system shock and system shock 2? They seemed like totally different games to me.

Most of the plot from Bioshock is a tweaked versions of SS2s

It's called "I can do better" by devs that don't bother to take notes or pay attention to 15+ years of "how to make a fun game" advice because "I can do better". The fact that the remake of System Shock is going to be some kind of Bioshock styled horror game speaks volumes. Compare and contrast System Shock 1's fist level with the remake demo.

it was pretty different and had some very different themes and explored them in different ways. Their similarities are very surface level and bioshock 1 is still a better game to actually play because the thing you spend 90% of your game time doing isn't the worst feeling shit combat of all time