Are comedy video games possible?

Are comedy video games possible?

For example, how would you make a game based on Mr. Bean?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=El7QLQUcAQg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I thought it was a dramatized documentary of the struggles of the average Englishman?

Yeah I did too. What the hell!
IS MY CHILDHOOD A LIE?

I believe the handsome gentleman in the picture already made a comedic game

What the fuck?

Armed & Dangerous was pretty damn funny

I thought Mr Bean had problems with spacial intelligence, and thus, wouldn't a navigation based game be a good idea?
What if Atkinson had to traverse a city without a minimap using somewhat obscure landmarks.
The game itself doubles as a criticism of the lack of exploitative gameplay after the rise of the minimarker and subsequent enclosed linear level design.

put fucking booby traps and unwinnable QTEs everywhere

So you're basically asking if it's possible for a video game to be funny?

The answer is yes, but they can't get too popular or else they'll get called meme games.

With Mr Bean the best you could do would be a point & click adventure. Otherwise I guess a parody RPG like Paper Mario or Dungeons of Dredmor could be made a comedic game.

That actually sounds like a clever idea for a wackily self-aware walking simulator, so it definately wouldn't be made.

Bean?

I think the main problem would be finding a coder who would be arsed to make the game good by filling it with npcs instead of having an empty game with sparse people.

Also licensing.

Bad fur day

He's right for loving violence but for all the wrong reasons.

Yes. Video related

youtube.com/watch?v=El7QLQUcAQg

The writer should be quite good so the getting lost felt humorous instead of frustrating. It propably would be easier with a talking protagonist.

hey, don't spit on the sanctity of meme-calling.

I guess a walking simulator could work.

how about [scarebox]the Stanley Parable[/scarebox]?

I see Britain is awake.

Point and Click adventure game with goofy hijinks, obscure puzzles and no self-referential or fourth-wall breaking humour. Something like this
That's the novelty of Mr. Bean. Don't do this shit;

Pick any old adventure game and chances are it has plenty of humor.

That's sort of what Firewatch did, if you disabled the option to have the minimap marker on your map you were forced to rely on landmarks to find your way around the game world, turning it into a an orienteering game (in other words a literal walking simulator).

Of course it still falls into a lot of the trappings that walking simulators have so it's not exactly well received by Holla Forums.

the humour has a different tone altogether, but that might work…
As long as it's not too linear, something silly like that might work.

With or without time limits?

Transplanting something done in TV/film is a common mistake in video games that almost never works. Comedy can be done, but it has to be structured entirely differently in interactive media. Probably why no one really bothers aside from a pun here and there. Comedy is hard enough to manage when it's fully scripted and delivered to a passive viewing audience.

destroy all humans was pretty funny, at least the original was

It's funny when a game has something silly and the game treats it as something that it's something occuring naturally there. It stops being funny once game gets self-conscious about the humor and breaks the 4th wall to point it out, or becomes a social/political commentary.

Post Bean

The point and click adventure game genre basically used to be the comedy genre. Then it became "cinematic".

If you want comedy gameplay as opposed to comedy writing, I guess the "streamerbait" genre would be the thing. Surgeon Simulator and so on.

Ratchet & Clank series always have been pretty funny games

post nefarious "soap operas"

How about Penny Arcade Adventures or Deathspank? I'm pretty sure they qualify as good and funny games.

What the fuck are you guys talking about, he's an ayylmao, the fucking intro to the show tells you that much.
Besides, Blackadder > Mr. Bean.

There used to be a DS game with the weird cartoon they made out of him, but it's shovelware tier garbage.
Anyhow, I can't see this being anything else other than a FMV or traditional point and click adventure game. Since ninety percent of the time you're just interacting with the scenery it could lead to some gag oriented puzzles.

just make a game a la postal 2 without guns but using environments stuff to create chaos all over the city and make a final mission about trying to vote in the Brexit thingy, depending of what you do, in the whole game, brexit wins or lose. But Mr. Bean doesnt know he is affecting the destiny of the nation, hell he doesnt know what he voted.
And just do that, daily mundane stuff.

Yes.

A shame games like this will never be made again in [CURRENT YEAR].

>ywn be an evil leader that wants to conquer the universe galaxy, but held back by incompetent minions

wasn't really funny

Anyone got webms of that new conkers?

Neighbors from Hell. This is a pretty shit thread as well so sage for shit question.

Mr. Bean would make a great point and click adventure game. It's just a shame that the only company that would make it is FUCKING TELLTALE

I fucking love Ratchet and Clank.

Deathspank is extreme lowgrade elementary humor, no wonder no one normally remembers it

Comedy games are easy.
Conker's Bad Fur Day was hilarious when I was 14. The problem is that comedy is only funny if you're a little kid. Adults don't and should not ever laugh.

I pity the souls that have to figure out for themselves how to paint Mr. Bean's room.

Comedy games suffer the same problem as Horror games, in that for the best effect - they have to be fairly well paced, and that's very difficult to do when you hand the controls over to a player who promptly fucks off for an hour to loot the environment, gets lost, or just admires the digital scenery like a fucking sheep. What you end up with is either a game full of one liners/jump scares - or a game which is just a regular game 90% of the time, but has comedic/scary cutscenes where the pacing is more tightly controlled.

Why?

come on, now

Is Octodad any good? I saw a video and it looked funny and charming enough, but I dunno how it holds up.

I actually pity you that scene where he's playing with the toys and helicopter airlifts baby Jesus away from the T-Rex fucking kills me

LOL

Well, Adventure games used to be that.
There was this Monthy Pyton and the Holy Grail game.
There was a weird as fuck Russian adventure game called GAG. I don't know if English version exists or not, but you should definitely see this lunacy.

Undertale exists, so…?

Deathspank suffered from a lot of 'HEY GUYS, ARENT THESE GAMEPLAY TROPES SHIT? DONT MIND ME WHILE I FORCE YOU THROUGH THEM WHILE POINTING OUT HOW SHIT THEY ARE"

I don't get it.

Half-life mode where you play as headcrab zombie.

LOL

true, there are many joke games out there

Maybe a Mr. Bean dancing game that's more of a comedy/gag game. Like if you were going to make Just Dance but better instead of wasting a serious IP like Star Wars on something like that.

IT ALREADY EXISTS NIGGERS

The tentacles may be a bit frustrating at times, but I liked it. It's a pretty good dad sim.

aw fuck, this is what I get for not reading the thread

It happens so rarely these days, but I want you to know that I laughed. Moreover, I laughed in such a fashion that I actually made audible sound.
I genuinely laughed out loud.

There is beauty in this world, after all.

It's not easy because games are dynamic and comedy is scripted. I guess the closed we will get to a comedy game is Chivalry.

Just look at games like Borderlands 2 for example. Currently comedy games are just like CoD, fully scripted games which are basically nothing but movies. Almost all the jokes in Borderlands 2 require you to sit and watch some stupid shit that nobody cares about.

I don't think a game about OP's life would catch on.

So, like "wasted," but
HOLD, PLEASE
?

>Not that Hitler
Fuck, man. How is one man so fucking funny

For extra irony, get a look at the side shot of the guy who shut it down. The hook on that nose is fucking huge.

Comedy is hard to have as a focus.
Comedy turns off a lot of people who have no sense of humor.
Jokes can offend people's sensibilities or be so highbrow that they make some feel inadequate.
Ideally you'd have to make a game have a particular comedic slant if you really intended to sell it.

Mr.Bean for instance is practically silent comedy, it has a very heavy focus on visuals.
The question becomes how do you direct not absurdist dialog, but actions?
Take the first youtube video result for Mr.Bean "Mr.Bean - Shopping".
The first skit is him wanting to pay a street performer but he only has a large bill (pound?) and does not want to pay him with the large sum of money.
He then lays out a handkerchief and does a little dance on it to which an old woman pays him with a coin that he then uses to pay the street musician.
End scene.

So how would I make that into a game?
Disgustingly enough it would have to be something like Kinect.
It would tell you to act a specific way "Do a little dance", anything would work and the rest of the scene would play out and on to the next.
Could make it a kind of puzzle game where there would be clues in the environment as to what you do but a lot of people hate puzzles.
Many of the other scenes in the video aren't problem based and are instead what just looks like the daily life of a man who is on the autism spectrum and wouldn't work very well as a game.

Comedy gold, my fucking sides.

I'm still hoping for the nakedgun-la noir-Eldrtch horror cross game

Comedy is about timing. In a video game, the player controls the timing, meaning any humor the creators intended will not work.

The best you get is narrative gags/jokes and "LOLRANDOM!" shit like Octodad.

Sounds like a typical adventure game puzzle logic, which is I guess part of why Adventure games are decent at comedy where other genres fall flat. You can't make the "puzzles" too logical, or they'll be too easy for the player to figure out. So you lean (often way too hard) on absurdity to toughen the puzzle up, but then the solution is absurd - so you either just roll with it because "that's adventure games" - or you highlight the absurdity for a laugh. Not to mention that complex actions aren't really do-able - and the interface is usually limited to "click this on that" or a series of "Get Object", "Use Object", "Talk to Object" - and then a pre-determined scene with pre-determined pacing then takes over to carry out the complex task. Since the game has control of the pacing during that time, you can structure a comedic bit much easier.

Drew is a treasure

Whose Line thread?

First google result, come on.

The whole premise of this being a game is a joke.

I thought Nox was pretty damn funny.

Get 'em on board, I'll call it in.

I love you guys.

The issue here is that line between absurdity and logic.
Too logical, and it won't be funny.
Too absurd and the player will get frustrated by the solution.
I genuinely think that this balance is too difficult to manage for a wide audience of players, so adventure games will always be hit-or-miss for a lot of people.

I love how Drew actually got kinda mad with that

UNLIKE SONIC I DON'T CHUCKLE

someone's still butthurt about tumblrtale

I was thinking it would probably be something like that Mr. Dad the octopod game.

oh vey! stop posting the whole episode, bad goy!

conkers bad fur day