Any predictions for Blunder of the Year 2017?

Any predictions for Blunder of the Year 2017?

The Switch

Will anyone ever top ET though? I struggle to imagine anyone filling a sinkhole full of crap these days

That's a very good list, although Big Rigs over the road racing is a shitty meme, nobody cared about that game, there were always of unfinished shit, specially in that era.
Anyone ever played Toyland Racing for example? There was a lot of shit like that.

Don't talk like most games in the 2600 weren't simple as fuck though, before the 1983 ""crash"" there were also tons of crap in the console. There was no quality control, that's why nintendo stepped in with the seal of quality.

Why are there actually decent games on that list?
And is going to be Prey

But no other game that comes to mind was such a blunder they ended up tossing away all physical copies. It's a byproduct of the future, but I feel there will never be this big of a blunder again

Also this and likely Zeldo: Not a Survival Game Out of Early Access.

Pacman for the 2600 tops it easily.

No Man's Sky wasn't a blunder, it was a ruse.
It was an extreme success actually.

Watch Dogs wasn't really a blunder from an economic point of view. It failed to live up to its potential and I'm sure the second will flop but it still made a profit.

Every Womans Lie is a top contender, but depending how hard Nig Dogs 2 tries to shit on the god emperor, it might be a worthy challenger.

I heard it wasn't that atrocious - just subpar and finnicky controls.

nx will be blunder of the year 2017.
I would argue that the blunder of this year was VR.

Quake 4 is a blunder?

le awesome meme bro XD

That's what I heard too. Wasn't there also a patch at some point that let you use regular controls?

Many of those games weren't blunders.
Watch_Dogs was a big success, actually.

You do realise legend actually turned out to be true a few years ago?

dude that's too easy you need to dig even deeper

No Man's Sky was hyped more than any of these games. I'd say that Mafia III might be a bigger failure since it sold just under 1.5 million units and made on a huge budget.

That's what MMOs do. People whom get it first will try to justify its worth it. They'll keep playing and then by the time they realise its shit, they can't leave because they've invested too much in it already. Free ones do the same thing except using microtransactions.

/thread

I've never even heard of that one

You're telling me a kickstarter Wii U exclusive that is fucking absolute trash isn't fucking trash? how about a fucking tech demo stealth game made by some fucking retards in uni that took two years to develop and it was fucking awful, what about the 9 year disasterpiece """PLATFORMER""" with missing sprites, cut dialogue and cut content like new game+ and finally the fucking masterpiece of a kingdom hearts clone fangame being downgraded to a l4d garbage dynasty warriors crap and downgraded the combat AGAIN and then having the actual slightly unique characters behind DLC?

Oh yeah forgot to nominate these two "RHYTHM" games

It's a Wii U Exclusive, that's why

While Mighty No.2 is shit, it isn't the one with overwhelmingly negative reviews and a 9% approval rating.

I'd put Evolve as the biggest failure of 2015.

I'm not saying they're bad, but they aren't anywhere near the level of failure Mafia III, No Man's Sky, or Mighty No. 9 achieved.

Alright if we're going for economical failure, check this one out.

That's a pretty good choice, actually.
NMS was a critical disappointment, but can't really be described as an economic failure.

I completely forgot. What ever happened to Mirror's Edge Catalyst?

While you were talking about Stillborn, that same sentence describes exactly what happened to Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

It depends on how you define blunder. If it's something that was massively hyped up then turned out to be dogshit then yes it'll definitely be NMS. But if it's more about something predicted to be financially successful that bombs it'll either go to Mafia 3 or Watch_Dogs 2.

This is the better choice. NMS sold a lot of copies despite what appears to be a shoestring budget. It was a success.

Battleborn sold fucking nothing on a triple-A budget. Gearbox is probably going to be bankrupt because of it, or at least have big financial troubles in the forseeable future.

no man's sky did not blunder it sold a lot user
battleborn was more of a blunder then that
also nintendo switch next year easily or xbox scorpio

Was Watch_Dogs worse than Sonic Boom?

Watch_Dogs is better than Sonic Boom, but that's not saying much considering how low the bar was for Sonic Boom. WD is just plain boring and a hyped up much more than the Wii U exclusive Sonic game.

Blunder of the Year shouldn't just be "game I think is bad". Its about the scale of failure. I've not heard any of the games you posted, except Owlboy, which could actually be a contender. Got attention as an indie darling for it's long development, but even reddit even was saying how boring it was. Also who the fuck would ever think that RWBY game was going to be good in the first place?

The point is it's about expectation, really.

True enough. I didn't actually play either of them, but from what I've seen of Sonic Boom it looks like one of the most broken games in recent history, sitting right next to Sonic 06 in terms of sheer "how the fuck did this make it onto store shelves".

Sonic has been dead for a while. Nobody expected boom to be remotely good. Watch dogs, on the other hand, was advertised as the be all/end all of all third person sandbox games. Heck I know a couple of people who were so hyped for this game that they bought the collectors edition before it was even out. We all know what happened in the end.

I never even saw footage of the order, was it a bigger blunder than evolve.

I would give honorary mention to RWBY: Grimm Eclipse because the beta and initial early access for the game were both actually quite fun for what they were. The developers actually made the game worse by simplifying the combat, removing individual character features to make it more streamlined, and using worse models than the game had at initial release. No Man's Sky was guaranteed to be bad from the start, so they made sure to hide things. Grimm Eclipse had the capacity to be good, and literally undid its own work.

I can't think of any other game that has deliberately shit itself apart as bad as it did.

Sonic is stuck in limbo. For every genuinely good game they release (Sonic Unleashed (day), Sonic Generations), they release some awful shit (Sonic Unleashed (night), Sonic Boom) and the cycle continues.

I can see why a rollercoaster of a series like that keeps peoples' expectations low, though. I think Sonic Boom is impressive because people expected nothing and yet it was still amazingly bad, even by those standards.

Some people predict No Man's Sky was so disastrous it could have a long-term effect on the industry similar to what E.T. did.

Fair enough, but you can't deny how ambitious and ahead of its time a lot of its gameplay concepts were. I might put South Park 64 in its place.
Stands in the shadow of the rest of the series but it's still a solid game in its own right. I'd put Advent Rising, 50 Cent Bulletproof, or Death Jr. in its place.

I think Metal Gear: Survive or Mass Effect Andromeda will be the biggest bust in 2017.

People had much-higher expectations for Watch Dogs.

It was mostly true, but the rumors were still heavily-exaggerated.

I didn't make the image, I just edited it to include 2014-2016. Watch Dogs was the first thing to come to mind for biggest blunder of 2014, and I can't really remember anything worse.

Jesus, I completely forgot about that game. Has it really been two years?

But this came out in 2003 though

Easily. No Man's Lie.

There has never been a game that made a dev steal all the money and run to mexico so fast.

It was atrocious for sure. I hated that game and could go on for hours about why it was awful. You let me down Factor 5.
Yes, that was after the lead dev touted that MOTION CONTROLS WERE THE FUTURE and that they would never include regular controls because of reasons or something, I don't know. Regular controls weren't INNOVATIVE enough I guess. When the game bombed hard they patched in the option to use the analogue stick to play and it was almost decent but still pretty terrible.

OP all games will be blunders in 2017.

Reminder that Too Human cost $100 million to make.

How is Owlboy btw? I've only seen that it's gotten good reviews.

what the fuck

Only reason Big Rigs was so infamous is due to this video, along with the fact that it got the lowest score on the site of 1.0, which was very rare at the time. Otherwise it would have just been another obscure and ignored bargain-bin shovelware.

They're not out yet, you dumb fucks

Fuck you.

Did you even read what the thread's about?

Owlboy is middle of the road average as fuck. It borrows from everything else but what it sums to is mediocre. I hate this age of games where just because something is an inferior version of something else, it gets high praise just because it's "indie".

It's a fucking masterpiece!
While we're at it, neither Back to the Future and Friday the 13th aren't good by any means I can't help but think that there were far worse games that came out in 1988 and 1989. Also 1993 should be the CD-i itself rather than Faces of Evil/Gamelon.

Honestly I'd argue that pic related is a bigger blunder than No Man Sky. At least NMS took the money and ran, meanwhile SFV;

SFV actively breathed new life into some other fighting game communities, so I'm at least thankful for that.

Thats not a blunder OP, No Mans Sky fucked Hello Games over but it still made loads of money. You know whats blunder of the year?

Mighty No 9. And Metal Gear Survive is looking to be the biggest blunder next year

Potential Blunders of 2017
Potential good 2017
2017 looks like it may be good tbh. Did Trump make Video Games great again?

You forgot

Honestly, I'm surprised I forgot something that major.

Considering it's SFV, I don't blame you.

Whats average about it? I like the sprite art, but I don't know much else besides it.

Enter the dragon was bad?

This more than any other. I feel like they're hyping it up to be more than what the game actually is. In the end it feels like it's just going to be assassin's creed with dinosaurs but it's being advertised as some sort of amazing immersive experience.

What was wrong with Thumper?

nigger, I was alive in the 80s when those ET carts were buried and it was in the newspapers, it wasn't a rumor at all. People just forgot about it.

This for 2016.

Actually throw Scalebound on top of that. MS's meddling combined with there being so many people who honestly think Kamiya can do no wrong will make for one fun blunder.

what?

games that no one have ever heard about aren't really blunders

Modders were tweaking DLC costumes in the PC version like removing hats or over-shirts on them. Capcom eventually took their ideas and made them Easter eggs with certain button combos to activate

most of the VRs are gonna flop during 2017

for free? or DLC?

the easter egg changes were part of a patch, but the DLC costumes were paid DLC

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE FUCKING LURK BEFORE YOU POST YOU GODDDAMN NIGGERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There's nothing inherently wrong with HMD's. They make any game more enjoyable in my opinion. It's the 'VR EXPERIENCE' shit that belongs in a toilet