Do you hate this game?

Do you hate this game?

Every website reports on it being terrible because of the Angry Nintendo Nerd video from like 10 years ago but honestly i've never met anyone that outright hates it.

Granted there are complaints about the obtuse as fuck nature of some of the puzzles but the gameplay, graphics and especially soundtrack are fantastic for the time and i don't know anyone who hates this.

Is this wrongly considered "unpopular opinion" material when its not actually widely disliked?

Other urls found in this thread:

thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Hacks/SimonsRedaction.html
romhacking.net/hacks/1032/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I ripped this game out of my NES and threw it down a storm drain.
Nobody got mad. Not even my brothers or friends liked that game.
CV3 ≥ CV1 >>>~>>> shit > CV2

It's pretty shit, but only because of the obtuse puzzles and shit translation. It was a horribly rushed game

Play the redaction hack instead. It takes the same game, tweaks some things for playability, changes out all of the dialog and in-game text, speeds up the night/day transition, and a lot of other little things: thealmightyguru.com/Games/Hacking/Hacks/SimonsRedaction.html

Castlevania Bloodlines is even worse.

I liked it. I enjoyed the RPG elements and if you play the ROM that fixes the dialogue and night/day curse window it's not so bad.

I hate the "hints" villagers give you. Otherwise it's firmly meh, with teh bosses being shit.

The AVGN himself said that his first video was about his frustrations with the game from when he was a kid, not a review based on its qualities or defects. He even pointed out that someone did a rom hack shortening the time between the day-night transitions (his biggest pet peeve) and the game became much better.

It's fine it was just too early for that kind of game the tech wasn't there yet.

Kind of funny, because James actually doesn't hate it. The Nerd video was meant as a joke for his friends.

what a fucking faggot.

Great game nugames just don't like difficult puzzles with cryptic hints given by nearly every NPC in the game. They want a game where they can blank out press buttons or better yet watch it play itself like the tv box. Most of them probably do not even remember half the games they have played. luckly they can go to youtube search their channel and find out if they have played something already so they dont replay it on accident. Who would want to waste time doing that. There is CONTENT to be made and Youtube, twitch etc revenue to be made!

It's not good.

it's not "i hate it" but its not good

came here to post this. glad I was beaten to it

I like Simon's Quest but it's mainly purely nostalgia because I played it as a little kid. However if you where to play it now I'd suggest a romhack patch like:
romhacking.net/hacks/1032/

I love it.

I enjoy it but it's absolutely not a good game, it doesn't even feel finished at times.

This game basically fucked itself thanks to the stupid clues that go nowhere. Otherwise, it's a bretty gud game.

It was somewhat ambitious for the time, had some neat ideas and good atmosphere for the time, but it was heavily flawed. Everything AVGN had against it applies.

Zelda II (which in of itself is far from perfect) had a lot of similar concepts and gameplay mechanics, but executed them with much more polish. The Redacted romhack makes the game passable but still inferior to most other games in the series.

The actual platforming and boss fights are a lot easier than other Castlevanias. The RPG elements are, if way too obscure, and destroying everything with the Gold/Silver Knife (Or whatever the OP weapons are, I just don't remember) is pretty satisfying.

I never played it but the music was baller

3 is still the best though

I'd make a Castlevania general, but with this up, it'd feel a little redundant but blog-like-a-faggot time:

It's by far not the worst game on the NES. He admitted on his old website that he didn't think it was that bad he just wanted to do a funny exaggerated character for a series that he only wanted to make 3 episodes of at the time.

It's moreso a mediocre sequel to a great NES game. We've all ragged on games like this in the past that weren't actually that bad but were just not great sequels.

There was a romhack of Simon's Quest that fixed the obtuse dialogue, sprite issues and other things. The AVGN even showed it in an episode and said it was finally fixed.

shity bait learn from this user

I've never played it.

It's literally everything I could hate in a platformer outside of blind jumps and shitty Mario hack-level shit like invisible block death traps.

I liked the world and what not, but I hated the bosses. Castlevania generally has cool bosses to fight. However the Bosses of Castlevania II if I remember correctly were rather simple, boring and to top it off there were only three of them.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, it's only flaw is being decent at best and mediocre at worst. People who think that it's bad probably never played it and love spouting AVGN's own shitty opinions or are modern "gamers".

I got bored of it because i felt it was a big road to nowhere without a guide.

I never played it, as I belonged to the SNES generation of Kids, everything we had was better so there was no reason to look back at the NES. However from what I know of it, it looks like a primitive Order of Ecclesia and I quite like that game.

There's a lot wrong with it, which is why it's not that great even with the fan patch.

An image search for clock tower didn't bring up anything good, so yeah I hate it.

Dude, who cares.

Most of it's cryptic issues come from a bad translation which can be fixed, but there are some issues still.

Nothing in the game is a threat, besides a blob who you can easily fight around and lack of bosses because of an oversight where you can walk past them (not like they were much even then)

I went right from the weakest to the strongest whip right away since I never seen anyone selling the others but after watching a stream of it, it came to my attention that there was more.

If you can get the rom that fixes the translation it can be a chill 2 hour game to play since mechanically there is nothing wrong with the game plays like the last game it's just in a different style.

no you are just retarded if you can't solve the puzzles after the fan patch

Fuck you nigger.

You've never played the game through. I grew up on it. It is not possible to beat without a guide, or spending hundreds of hours fucking around. There's too much guessing involved, and too much shit involves going to a specific place and squatting for 10 seconds solid. The hints help, if you ignore the townspeople who lie to you, and the fact that none of the hints tell you to crouch.
Add that to the stupid fucking fall-through tiles (with no indication that they are passthrough), the fucking weak non-bosses, the big empty castles that don't even come close to touching the original, the retarded item system, having to backtrack fucking everywhere, and having to grind for hearts, and it's not a good game at all.

The game had great atmosphere, great music, and great graphics. The actual gameplay was a horribly flawed slog at the absolute best, and virtually unplayable at the worst. Zelda II did the same kind of formula but way fucking better (discounting the retarded mirror quest, which is stupidly cryptic). Simon's quest had a lot of potential, but it is not a good game. It comes off as a rushed game, and feels unfinished and untested. Most of the game is not fun.

He didn't say he couldn't. He said it's not that great even with the fan patch. Can you not read?

Only if you take me to dinner first.

Nobody was ever saying it was a great game though. People are just saying is not entirely trash and the fan patch fixes most the biggest flaws. Its as if these kids never played the game and are just virtue signaling to get James Rolfe cuck cred.

I don't think so. The biggest flaws are shit bosses and big empty castles that aren't fun to slog through (especially when you have to throw holy waters every 2 steps). The level design is the biggest flaw. The fan patch fixes what it can, which is great, but it doesn't make the game even close to being good (they really should have found a way to make the fall-through tiles look different, or get rid of them altogether).
I don't doubt that a lot of the people shitting on the game may be just sucking AVGN dick, but it's just as fucking stupid being a contrarian who has to like something just because other people hate it. It is possible for somebody you don't like to be right sometimes. It's possible for a big stupid fanbase to occasionally be correct. People being right for the wrong reason doesn't mean that they are wrong.

I'm not sure what James having a retarded wife has to do with Castlevania II, either. It feels like you're trying to derail this into some hurr durr cuck shit, which isn't relevant to either Castlevania II or the AVGN Castlevania II review. Are you incapable of just talking about a fucking video game without pissing yourself about some political shit?

I grew up on it too, i was poor as fuck so all i had was a hand me down NES, never completed it though.

I was replying to someone who literally said the game does nothing wrong.

Yes, it's pure shit.

Posting this fat pseudo intellectual with no skill should be a offense to ban for, the amount of times I've heard people recycle garbage from this guys mouth as if most his issues aren't from lack of skill infuriating.

Literally poisons poor unknowing saps minds because his little cartoon is presentable and clean no matter how much the points are trash.

you'd think after the travesty that was his OOT Stream and wind waker lets play that were both DSP level and the pile of game grumps content he has they'd see just how shit he is but no.

It's shit for pretty much all the reasons posted already. But it's shit for so much more: Castlevania 1 and Dracula's Curse are some of the best games in the entire NES library. You've also got Super Castlevania 4 on the SNES, which is one of the best SNES games of all time too.

Simon's quest laid the groundworks for games like symphony of the night (which, I don't nearly like as much as the original ones since I prefer the more classic action of move right and whip shit.) There's pretty much no reason to spend any time on simon's quest since it fucked up nearly everything good about the original games and everything it introduced that is good was done better in symphony of the night.

I remember liking this game. It was the only one in the series I ever owned and nine year old me beat it several times, so I guess it wasn't too difficult.

Hell the length of the curse message is arguably a bug anyway, or more accurately a localization oversight, since it takes less time in the Japanese version due to the language being more compact.