Is there such a thing as Holla Forums related literature? is there much out there worth reading...

Is there such a thing as Holla Forums related literature? is there much out there worth reading? i know there is a pile of Doom and RAGE related books but dont know much else.

Any recommendations? i am declaring now the Endwar books (2 out of 3) are FUCKING AWFUL and must be avoided at all times.

How the fuck does a fuckup like the MC in Endwar 2 manage to get into ghost recon and punish his squad for his fuckups?

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!mIwXWRAI!Qwf4LOdQloypWw3ecV7txRaPcX-sPil958TkVHjbDDs
mega.nz/#!XUwXVT7Y!geV8qTx3eiwx6mDlL0Tb2E7Lk_5sPRXG_8pj8P7rQSc
halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html
halopedia.org/)
halo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page),
forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/
forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/deep-catalog/)
haruspis.wordpress.com/)
fullcirclehalo.net/)
youtube.com/watch?v=VvF-Obh_BBI)
haloarchive.com/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think I'd heard decent stuff from user in the past about Darksiders: The Abomination Vault. Could be wrong though.

it was alright

Read Monster Hunter International. It's great.

Abomination is my waifu

My brother owns all of the Halo novels, said they were good but I can't be arsed to read them.

We know user, you should dump them here on Holla Forums as well as /k/

wew

I read all (?) the ones up to the Forerunner Trilogy. Never got around to reading those before I lost all interest in Halo when it turned bad.

They were pretty good. Read them all twice I think, maybe 3 times for a couple of them. Only one that I don't think was very good was the Fall of Harvest one with Sergeant Johnson as the main character. Had an awkward sex scene with him and some Asian chick (muh diversity). It was meh.

Mein Kampf should be mandatory reading for Holla Forums

Shadow warrior had 2 books if I remember correctly, I only read one of them. Fucking horrible as far as books are, but I loved every second of it. And for the exact reasons you think.

If your gonna read mein kampf, might as well read the only authorized English version made by the reich

The author of this book made corresponding Dark Mod missions. They are called "Requiem" and "A House of Locked Secrets". Both are masterpieces.

wat

is that good or bad? im trying to download a 160mb pdf

It's german space magic.

The Halo novels and wow comics/books are quite well written, and is a huge shame that the games utterly waste the potential that both of them have.

the minecraft joke books, of course. theyre a hoot and a half i tell ya

There was a Bioshock book that I was actually excited for.
So much of it was just the audiologs word for word.
Fuck it was bad

It was sort of OK. Gave some insight into the backstory. I definitely wouldn't recommend reading it if you're not a fan of the first two games though.

I forced myself to read Revan. It's not worth the paper it's fucking printed on.

Some fanfiction isn't that bad.

There are some Myst books that are supposedly ok but I didn't get around to reading them yet.

Get the Jaico Publishing one it's really good it fixes all the fake grammatical errors that the other (((publishers))) put in.
You can get kindle on amazon.

HE WAS DESTROYED

The small books ive written wont get published, but these do.

I don't trust nearly enough people on Holla Forums play video games. Now I assume even fewer people read literature. Read the Chuck Tingle books. As close to Holla Forums literature as possible.

Look at the fucking artifacts, user. Do you see them? Those posts are from 2015 and they have fucking artifacts. There are fucking decade old posts capped in perfect quality because someone decided to use fucking .png before posting them 5000 times.

The halo books by nylund are good.
The whole witcher series by Sapkowski is excellent.
You could also tap into the million 40k books out there. Of those I've only read stuff done by abnett and it was pretty good.

Viz also recently started translating Legend of the Galactic Heroes (there's a vidya, so it counts), do read it with some nice classical as bgm.

Already got the first one, was a great read since ive already watched the first few seasons, was expecting more stuff in the book tbh.

This is a good read, right up all your guys alley.

Posting the old Doom books. ill get the Rage ones later.

thats all 4 books.

The two Doom 3 books

mega.nz/#!mIwXWRAI!Qwf4LOdQloypWw3ecV7txRaPcX-sPil958TkVHjbDDs

Doom 3 02 - Maelstrom
mega.nz/#!XUwXVT7Y!geV8qTx3eiwx6mDlL0Tb2E7Lk_5sPRXG_8pj8P7rQSc

As a halo lorefag I can vouch for the halo novels actually being really good (even the ones by 343), but i'm pretty sure OP meant analytical or critical literature of games, not like in universe fiction.

On that note, though, I know of a number of stuff like that for the Halo series, though they are mostly videos or online posts/articles rather then actual books.

If somebody wants more info on either the actual halo novels (like what order to read them in or what each one is about) or the halo analytical articles I can type up lists/guides on those, but i'm not gonna spend time on writing stuff up unless I know for sure somebody will read it

Also I wouldn't say that. The games aren't narrative masterpieces or anything, and they could be a lot better from a story perspective, but there's more to them then you might think, especially once you read the books and you can see how much they intertwine

Halo 2 especially actually makes great use of the underlying lore

I love a long book series, are they still being made? any of them worth avoiding? i know last time i had a discussion about halo books one of the newer games caused a few books to be rewritten and made bad.

Yes, new ones come out pretty regularly, actually.

Well, it depends on what your standards are, if you are a hyper autist who wants to be a lorefag or you just want to enjoy them casually, and what you want out of them.

I'll type up a guide for you in a bit, and I guess i'll then also list the good analysis's/critical articles about halo stuff tomorrow

How much do you know about halo, though? It'd help me figure out how to word my post if I knew that

He was probably talking about Halo Reach. There are some discrepncies between it and one of the novels, and they had to be explained via an in universe journal that came with the limited edition of the game and other stuff.

The reprint of the book though really didn't change anything important about it, the changes were really quite negligable, just a few error corrections and some extra chapters at the end, it certainly didn't make the book any worse

So, since you haven't responded yet, i'm just going to type this up under the assumption you've never consumed any Halo media before, so

As a short tl;dr so you know what i'm talking about and have some context, most of the halo lore takes place in the 2500's, where humanity, having a small interstellar empire controlled by a totalitarian military regime (the UNSC), gets into a civil war(the insurrection) after the outer colonies desire independence. However, midway through that, an alliance of alien religious fundamentalists called The Covenant that worship a long dead alien race discover humanity, declare them heathens, and start to wipe humanity out. Most of the Halo novels are what I like to call "Firm" sci fi. It's not quite hard sci fi, but it's not science fantasy/soft sci fi either, it's sort of in the middle.

It's perfectly possible to get into the books without having played the games, and you can get through around 5-6 of the books before needing the games, but after that point it's going to start to be seriously detrimental to your experience without having played through the games or watching them on youtube.

I'm going to split this into at least 2 posts: The Bungie era (2001-2010) and the 343 Era (2011-present). This is because the shift represents both the franchise going from Bungie to 343 Industries, as well as what the media focuses on and wheras with the bungie books, there's a clear obvious order, for the 343 books, it's more complicated.

For the bungie era stuff, I recommend an order of

Fall of Reach > The Flood/Halo CE > First Strike > Ghosts of Onyx > Halo 2 > Halo 3: ODST > Halo 3 > Contact Harvest > Halo Wars > The Cole Protocol > Halo Reach > Halo: Evolutions.

The stuff in spoilers are games instead of books. You don't NEED to play the games exactly where I have them, that's simply the ideal, but after the cole protocole you will need to have played at least the main game trilogy (Halo CE, 2, and 3) before moving on, or at least watched them on youtube. In general, I'd heavily recommend though that you finish all of the above before moving onto the 343 media.

Also, tFoR, TF, FS, and Evolutions have reprints. You should try to get versions of the first 3 that have the following covers, and even better, the "definitive edition" label, but if you can't find one with the definitive editon label and only the new covers, that's fine. For evolutions, the reprint split it into 2 smaller books, called volume 1 and volume 2.

1/4(?)

Short summary of all of the above:

Fall of Reach:

The Flood:

First Strike:

Ghosts of Onyx:

Contact Harvest:

Cole protocol:

Evolutions:

2/4(?)

I remember the MGS1 novel being incredibly cheesy.

Roadside Picnic, the STALKER novels.

(You)s for interest

I really need to get back into this shit again. Been ages since I read any of the books, and I never really read that many anyway.

Cheers for the info user i was busy downstairs.

Im still here reading it!

Okay, so, for 343 era stuff, it's a little more complicated and less linear.

This is mainly because the first few 343 novels were alternating seperate trilogies, the forerunner (cryptum, primordium, silentium) and kilo 5 triology (glasslands, Ttrusday War, mortal dictata); as well as the fact that there's a much less of a linear plot thread across the novels, which means there's less of a strict oder

As such, my reccomended reading order is more complicated, as seen here:

(Cryptum > Primordium > Silentium; Glasslands > Thrusday War) > Halo 4 > (Last Light; Broken Circle; Hunters in the Dark; New Blood) > Halo 5 > Halo Fractures

In case it's not clear, i'm saying you can read the forerunner and kilo 5 books interchagedly, as long as you finish them before moving on. Also, unlike the bungie era, it's important you play the games/watch them on youtube before advancing.

You'll note I don't have mortal dictata listed, that's because it's shit to the point of it not being worth reading. Just read a summary. Speaking of:

Kilo 5 triology:

Last Light

Broken Circle

Hunters in the Dark

New Blood

Fractures

Also worth noting there are comics, but you can look into that yourself and decide what to read there once you get through the bungie era books and such I think.

Also here's the source of those scale charts if you want them: halo.bungie.org/misc/sloftus_scalecomparison/1280h.html

3/3

I'll post the critical analysis stuff tomorrow if I remember and the thread is still up

Cheers for the info mate.

Shit, forgot to mark Halo 4 and 5 as games, but oh well

no problem

One last random thing to note is always use Halopedia (halopedia.org/) over the halo wiki (halo.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page), Halopedia's editing staff is more experienced and it's better maintained.

NEVER HAPPENED

Halo 5's MP, core gameplay and forge are actually really damn good

343 just needs to get their head out of their ass in terms of visual design and hot skimp on single player and get staten or nylund to write the campaign stories.

On the topic of Halo, any word on other games coming to PC?

Ok
What?
WHAT?

Not directly, but every single time 343 and MS has been asked for the past 2-3 years, the answer they've given has been more positive.

They've more or less said at this point while they still won't comment/aren't focusing on ports of existing games, that moving foward all halo titles from now on at least will also be on PC

Halo 5 actually has a free PC port, but it;s forge/custom lobbies only. Which works out since the single player in 5 is barely worth playing anyways wheras the MP is fantastic.

I'll explain my opinion tomorrow if the thread is still up, but I need to sleep man, I jsut spent like 2 hours typing up the book guide and it's 4am here

have some concept art in the meantime

Ill throw Win10 on a partition to give all the halos a try.

Thanks for the nice art, the art is always better then the game.

343 please, fucking hang yourself. The MP is shit, the gameplay is shit, and the forge mode is okay, but still, fuck you

Bastards ruined my rocket launcher. Scum that they are.

Bumping for more vidya /lit/ discussion.

Any other game series have some books worth reading?

Good, the thread is still up.

So for analytical/critical stuff on halo lore, there's

- Forward unto dawn's analysis's pieces and articles (forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/ and forwarduntodawn.com/article-vault/deep-catalog/)
- Harupis's blog posts (haruspis.wordpress.com/)
- Full circle Halo's blog post's and articles (fullcirclehalo.net/)
- Raycevick "Halo X Y years later" videos, which are on the COGconnected channel. Reach's is here, for example: youtube.com/watch?v=VvF-Obh_BBI)
- Halo archive's article's (haloarchive.com/)

There's probably more i'm fogetting, but I can vouch for all of these being good.

Well, >opinions, obviously, but I really love 5's physics., gunplay, and aimfeel. It feels like a slicker halo 2 to me, except with an actually balanced weapon sandbox and some new movement mechanics. The guns all shoot straight, none of the precision weapons have bloom or random spread, and even the automatics can actually hit shit at extended ranges (the SMG and Storm rifle are actually extremely good weapons and the AR is viable out to medium range_

No loadouts, perks, or other bullshit. Everybody starts with the same guns and the same stuff and then other guns and powerups are on the map, so it's very classic halo. It's also got a similar sort of competitive 4v4 focus that CE and Halo 2 had without it going full MLGfag retarded.

Well, again, currently, only 5's MP and forge is on w10, I'm just saying more MIGHT come on there. The best way to play through the halo campaigns as of now is MCC/backwards compatiblity for Reach via xbone, so see if one of your normalfag friends owns an xbone.

That said, Wars is getting an enhanced w10 port with the limited edition of Wars 2, I think

Thanks for the info Haloanon.

warcraft books are alright before the one about jaina
they start taking a nosedive after it
not to mention that since draenor/legion came out, shit's been contradicting the lore a lot

The Forerunner trilogy told us about some of the most amazing details of the Halo universe from the perspective of a caveman that wasn't very interested in what was happening around him. These amazing revelations of technology, history, character interaction and more RUINED by having the main character be intellectually incapable of understanding what he is seeing, and be even worse at relaying that information to the Goddamn reader.

I read the first two books and got tired of that shit.

Whatever happened to Uli? I miss his Platform Masters dev videos, they were the most comfy shit.

Well, I really enjoyed it, and the third one is a lot better, since by then Bornstellar is the Isodidact proper rather then just a forerunner kid.

I WANTED to enjoy it, I just couldn't get past the perspective of the main character. His descriptions of some events were so fucking bad that it took me almost a whole chapter to realize that he had been SURROUNDED by flood-infected forerunners that weren't trying to kill him.

I also wasn't especially fond of the idea that there was another advanced super race before the forerunners, and that they were the race that became the flood. It was just too much.

He went to dailymotion

He's still around, I follow him on facebook. He hasn't made much, if any progress on Platform Masters since he deleted his youtube. He's focused on real life, has a job now and goes on vacation around the states.

All the things you seem to dislike about it are the things I like.

As I saw it, a lot of what you are saying are flaws were actually things that were intentional as everything starts to go to shit and hit the fan.

The storytelling moves from dull, dense descriptions things that to bornstellar to mundane, and the writing style becomes less and less discruiptve and panics and incomprehensible as the flood and ancient cosmic truths are uneartned and then by Silentium it's all just outright cosmic horror

I understood what they were trying to do, but that's a problem if I can't relate to the main character. The reader is not bored with the world this character lives in, as the reader doesn't know anything about the world.

Like the character starting to panic and lose his mind has no effect on me when he never told me about what his world is like in satisfying detail. When cosmic horrors are flying your space ship wearing the corpses of your ruling elite class, that should MATTER to the main character. When you go from emotionless, dense descriptions of things the character doesn't care about to panicked half-descriptions of things the character doesn't understand, where does that put the reader?

Is this pdf the real deal?

The extent at which the various parts and technology of forerunner society was explained in cryptum though is one of the best parts of it?

Like litterally the entire first 75% of the novel is just worldbuilding about how X committee works or Y piece of mundane technology. It extenviely explains and commits to explaining how the world works just so it can show it falling apart.

Did we read the same book?

The halo novels went to shit when 343 took over

There's an Uncharted book, and my parents got it for me a few years back (whenever it came out, who fucking knows) because they don't know shit about vidya and thought I'd like it.

It's alright. Not very good, but not bad really.

It was too much of an info dump at the beginning (again, by a character that didn't especially care about or understand what was going on because he was basically a cave man) and that information would have been better related to the reader by a character who was new to that world maybe.

I don't know what else to say,man. I just really didn't enjoy them. I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Try this guy.

I thought it did pretty good getting Bioshock right.

Olaf Stapledon (Thanks Deus Ex)

This is surprisingly good, from the writing you can see the guy was obviously a fan of the first two games.

Not directly based on vidya but the world of Stormlight Archive reminds me a lot of Morrowind.

I just finished reading those two books last week and my god
Sanderson is a god if you consider that all these Cosmere books are gonna be connected by an overarching epic plot
Highly recommend the shit out of this book.

Kingkiller Chronicles is also highly recommended by me.

I'm midway through Words of Radiance right now, it's a really addicting reading.

Except that's wrong.

The travis books were sub par but all the ones since then have been fine

Silentium (343)
Contact Harvest (bungie)

Ghosts of Onyx (Bungie)
Broken Circle (343)
Cryptum (343)
Last Light (343)
Evolutions (Bungie)

Shadow of Intent [Fractures] (343)
Fall of Reach (Bungie)
Primordium (343)
First Strike (Bungie)
Hunters in the Dark (343)
Saints Testimoney [Fractures] (343)

Glasslands (343)
Cole Protocol (Bungie)
Thursday War (343)
New Blood (343)

The flood (Bungie)

Mortal Dictatata (343)

Opinions, obviously though

Guess so

Yes, its the official english translation of Mein kampf.

So I can finally read this without any (((corrections)))? Excellent.

wasn't there some shill learning book that an user posted about here or something? i don't remember it very well but it's a bunch of memes with misinterpreted meanings and forgetting the whole point is just being funny and translations for slang common in the internet

Things I've read that I've enjoyed:

Some are hit or miss but Kelly, William and that are fucking boss.

On the topic of SMT and Fallout, did they ever get their own books?

The only books I've read due to video games are the witcher ones and they aren't particularly amazing anyway.

Some of the very first diablo books were ok.

did you hear about anons hopes and dreams?
they were destroyed!

Every Holla Forumsirgin should read The Ego and Its Own, to better understand his place within imageboards and Holla Forums as a whole and how that relates to his sense of owning himself.

Is Revan the one that ties into TOR and has him and the Exile getting killed by some sith BBEG?
I agree, but man is it hard to find good stories when you're searching through shit.

Wasn't SMT based on a book series in the first place?

you should upload the pdfs then.

Stuff like this doesn't usually bother me but I feel really bad for that woman.

Congratulations America on the win.

Any other book recommendations?

Yeah. It was complete shit. Thought I'd at least try to endure it, but would have been better off reading the X-Wing shit than this.
Pretty much. Varies from fandom to fandom. Always nice to run across a good one after wading through 10 shit ones.