Why is the current gen so shit?

Why are there barely any exclusives on any home platform besides Wii U? Can anybody explain?

Extremely high costs means games need to sell millions to be profitable so you want the largest audience possible, now stop giving a shit about consoles and get a PC.

there are still good consoles out there. PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast… those can't be emulated, and they still have some great exclusives

Nice, I like your style.

It costs too much money and time. Some companies have released console exclusivity is a detriment unless you can offer something truly unique like Nintendo has. It's all about making your investment back. And with Sony they realize that they don't have to make as many exclusives because COD will just make more money for them in a month than Bloodborne did in its lifetime which is why they have less exclusives than ever and their 1st party is so sparse. And even then their design docs are "Its the Last Of Us But with more Zombies/Robot Dinosaurs/Kratos Wife's Son".

Too much money investment, every game has to play safe because of this. Combine this with corporate meddling and fuckery and you get games gutted and resold piece by piece.

Don't know user. I'm having a blast this gen. But I have money to buy games (PC and PS4).

Hi Ruggarell. Mods ban you from Cuckchan again?

No

This thread just keeps getting better.

OP if you wanted a dubs thread you just had to ask.

Consoles are trash

Well I bought a PS4 for JPN games and a lot of those are only now switching to PS4.

As for your question: making a game is EXPENSIVE. Why would anyone be stupid enough NOT to port to everything under the sun? I know gamers aren't known for their intelligence these days but man you could have answered this yourself.

hahaha faggots!
fuck you dont care if its not on pc

1 minute of PS Plus has been deposited into your account

I think the consolefag reasoning is, if your system runs a third party game the least shitty of any nonpc it counts as an exclusive? muh timed excusives

I was thinking about getting a PS4 soon for FFXV, Uncharted 4, Gravity Rush 2, and The Last Guardian. Then I'll be able to play the best version of Persona 5 and play FFVII Remake earlier.

I only have a 1080p monitor so I'm not sure if I'll get the Pro or a used regular one. Have to see Pro reviews to see if it's worth it. Leaning towards regular though.

Enjoy your iPhone

you should kill yourself instead, it is more cost effective and you will never have to worry about hardware again

wut

There's much more but I think this puts a good amount into perspective. The idiotic masses who defend anti-consumer practices don't help either but they are only a third of the problem. I think most of it lies with greedy publishers. Absorbing companies isn't a problem, it's them ruining the product by shoving their nose where it doesn't belong. These are the same people who create the anti-consumer ideals/practices, kill off studios to cover their idiocy after ruining a product, enforce DRM which kill game sells by screwing over the legit consumer and helps the pirate get a better product, and direct game development be determined by the latest trend (like turning Legacy of Kain into a MOBA instead of making a game in the same genre as the first 2).

I've still enjoyed this gen by sticking to fighters, RPGs, dungeon crawlers, and shmup games. Many of which have come out in the past few years on the Vita and PC.

There's been quite a few games actually, I think the only people who aren't happy with them have been largely avoiding looking into the library. They know and usually want bloodborne, but frankly know nothing about the actual libraries.

Fuck off Sony

Shitposting has gotten completely out of hand in the past few months. Many don't even want to have a decent discussion because depressed faggots want to just shitpost all day out of boredom. Some will blame the lack of good new games for their boredom but that's just a cop-out since a game doesn't have to be new for you to enjoy it. Or they only had vidya as their hobby and are burnt out. Without much else to do they shitpost. It's what happens when you only have 1 hobby and then get tired of that hobby.

That has always been the case. Some people still claim the PS4 has no games despite having a large library. The Vita has a massive library compared to the PS4 though and both are still getting games. The 3DS library doesn't even compare to the DS but it still has plenty of good games. Saying that, the only game I would like to play on the Xbone is Killer Instinct which I believe is one of the better fighters to come out now that it's finished. As for the Wii-U, there's a reason why it's already dead despite having several good games. But that's all it had.

It does seem like publisher meddling with developers absolutely kills some games. Surely someone has that Frank Zappa webm, which I think is pretty accurate now more than ever.
And in the case of EA, their meddling ensures that the dev team is cannibalized and displaced around the world a while later.
It's why I'm still baffled that any indie dev team goes anywhere near EA. Like that Fe game shown at E3 when they announced their 'EA originals'. When the game comes out I expect that within a year the company shuts down.

The same shit happens in movies too, where directors are hired to be told what to do by the producers and executives.

I just want to play Ace Combat 7. Why is there no news about it anons? Why is kono and PA making me suffer thinking it'll be trash

not good enough for me, anyways. and i hate tinkering around with software when i could spend the time instead playing the games

If you're a Dev, Sony comes up to you one day and says "make an exclusive for Playstation and we pay you X on top of whatever you make on those sales".
Now you make some basic math. If X is higher than the profit you'd make from having your game sold in all other consoles, you'll make it exclusive. Otherwise, it's just limiting the number of sales and future profit for the sake of short term investment.

Now, a lot of devs used to make only very short term investments. EA for instance completely ignored their playerbase and customer support and are now reaping the results. Other devs tried to make quick cash ins, ruined their reputation and now have a very hard time getting investments from other people or anyone to try their games at all.

So Devs wised up. They now aim for longer term and show some concern with not just being a fad. Even EA promises they learned their lesson and want to do better (they still aren't, though).

For consoles, what this means is that a lot of Devs are not gonna shoot themselves in the foot with an exclusive contract that forces them to work with a very specific hardware and dev kit just for a small stack of cash now and terrible fees they have to pay for later.
Might as well dev for PC first where you can appeal to the master race 4K memes and have your unoptimized garbage or ridiculously detailed game actually run there, or go for a more retro-pixel artstyle and not have the "muh grafix" audience annoying you as much.

TL:DR: Why would any Dev bother to dev for consoles today?

Well I'd assume they bother with consoles today since Sony comes up to them and says "make and exclusive/timed exclusive game and we'll pay you X + X" Like it or not people want and sometimes need that instant cash.

Are you counting japanese support? Because I thought the Vita was ded in the west.

The studios that are that desperate for cash, don't have the required team to make good quality games. Especially in terms of GRAFIX, the best selling point consoles like to boast about.

All others either have enough cash to stay afloat and wait for the returns or need so much cash, they'd bankrupt sony for it.

I just want Rune Factory 5. I want to ride my wolf into battle along with my son again, kill the final boss by throwing bad food at him, or suplex an ogre.

I can only count JP support. That's the only support it gets. Western wise, it is dead in the sense that no devs make games for it. But you could say the same for the 3DS if that were the case. I mean how Sony is trying to make the Vita seem completely non-existant in the west by forcing digital only, keeping the memory card prices high while not releasing the biggest memory card in the west, not fixing the Vita PSN (which is constantly missing games), and just not giving any meaningful updates. It's only anti-piracy measures.

current gen are branded, vendor locked pc`s

no really

frankly the only systems this generation that have been disappointing are the PC, Xbone, and 3DS. Everything else has had plenty of games.

Also Publishers are looking to maximise revenue. If Sony's giving you a billion dollars for COD and Destiny timed exclusives on the DLC and marketing rights as long as you release on their consoles. Then why not take the money? It's risk free profit. It's likely what Capcom was thinking as well if Sony was willing to write a fat cheque to get SF V out earlier as long as it was exclusive..

People forget gaming is a business and 1st party is not a charity. Microsoft fronted the cash for Dead Rising 3, Titanfall and Rise Of The Tomb Raider to be made and got benefits for doing so in getting to release them exclusively on their platforms or earlier than other versions. It's how business works and it's nowhere near as fucked up as it got in the 90's.

wasn't it always like that?

Yeah Sony has funded more games and helped more devs than Valve ever will.
So PC exclusives are rare these days.

Because they don't give you billions, most likely not even a single million.
And because they don't ask you to release it on their console, they ask you to release ONLY on their consoles.

Like I said, at that point a dev weights the profit he can make from all the sales on the other platforms versus the cash this company is willing to give him now. Usually and suprising no one except Sony and Microsoft, a Dev can make a lot more money selling on their competition and PC than whatever piddlysum they are willing to pay them.

Dunno about Dead Rising but I heard some controversy regarding it.

Titanfall was multiplayer focused, they needed a powerfull matchmaking system to make it work so it was either Microsoft or Sony. Microsoft probably paid more, but they still backed themselves into a corner with their design choices and it screwed them.
Is Titanfall 2 an exclusive as well, or is it available for PC? That should tell you how sucessfull the first one was.

Tomb Raider had Denuvo, though. Let's not assume Microsoft imposed it, but Denuvo's pretty expensive and Microsofts contribution alone might have gone all to pay for that.

Those are the key words, a cheque from one of the companies is guaranteed cash.And if they take it it must be substantial enough to ignore the rest of the market.

Microsoft paid upwards of nine figures for the COD Map deal back in 2009 for Modern Warfare 2 onwards. Sony paid even more. Sony paid a nine figure deal for Destiny's marketing and exclusive timed content rights. 1st parties pay millions for the marketing rights for games

The content still gets released on other consoles at a later date. They still get money.

But you are completely ignorant that 1st party companies pay millions for these marketing deals and you keep proving it.

Capcom ran out of money and was in poor shape financially so they offered it to MS and Sony. Sony turned it down, MS took it on.

Respawn had interest from Sony who ultimately refused because Respawn wouldn't make a Vita version and didn't want them making a PC version either. Microsoft's terms were better

It sold a massive amount despite being on the 2nd place console and Respawn decided to put the sequel on PS4 to make more money. It was already on PC you ignorant shit

kek

Sounds like you are a commie linuxfag. No wonder you don't understand gaming is a business and just blindly demand everything on PC.

But that was what I said on my first post.
A lot of devs saw the cheque and the short-term they could get, accepted it and made exclusives.
Only to see other devs make multi-plats and rake in much more than they could.
Devs used to take those incentives because they didn't believed multi-plats could outweight the prize consoles offered them, but they learned their mistake and now you have no exclusives.

Not a linuxfag, I just don't see many companies sticking to exclusives unless they are paid that much.
Sony wasting so much cash kinda makes sense considering they have an entire system to sell, they need games for that, games that justify someone buying their console.

So that's why I can play Bloodborne on my PC and Bayonetta on my PS4. How long till I can play Splatoon on my Xbone, user?

Sorry, I don't follow mech titan games :)

>>>/suicide/

Because people are shit.

bump

Come on now. Its not like they are doing anything out of the kindness of their heart, they just want the exclusives. The devs on the other hand have to choose if they want a larger audience, which would mean more profit for them, or if they want to sell their soul to sony and have a guaranteed base line budget.
if the game is shit and flops sony looses. if the game is good and sells well, the devs and the consumers loose.

Yeah, not gonna buy a PS4 just for BB.