ITT: Game Series you wish hadn't died

ITT: Game Series you wish hadn't died.
I'll start.
S-so here I am

Other urls found in this thread:

thmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=711
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Would you rather have a series you love die, or watch it continue onward while each new installment is worse than the last?

What about a series that was awesome, the badly aged original got remade to be fuckawesome, it made a unique and awesome transition to 3d, got one shitshow game that everyone hated for good reason, and then got a retooled digital game that shat on everything else AND killed it at the same time?

Very much related

Extreme sports games are apparently too fun for modern audiences

I definitely understand that sentiment, but some game series did things that are hard to find elsewhere.

Which THPS was the best tho?

I have to go with 3, because that was the one I grew up playing on the PS2
The other ones were good too
The decline really started with American Wasteland

I can't remember much about American Wasteland. I remember liking the bikes and that's about it. Was proving grounds any good? I really disliked project 8

It had some weird shit where you could be a skater, a designer, or some other bullshit I can't remember. I think it also had that weird board trick thing from Project 8 as well.
Why can't we have a good skateboarding game again?

I'd love a skate4 with skateboarding, bmx'ing and rollerblading

That would be sweet but there's more money in niggerball games and battlefield

It was 3 the one that gave us the ability to continue a trick off a ramp reverting as soon as you landed, right? If that is the case then yes it was the best one.

Not being able to find mercenaries 2 makes the wound hurt even more

Legendary as fuck.

More like the entire fucking genre died.

As much as it still had great moments, THUG2 was the start of the decline, at least with the storyline that basically turned the game into the best Jackass game there was. 1, 2, 3 and to a lesser extent, THUG had great levels that were memorable.

Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss the 2 minute time limited Extreme Sports games, like the Pro Skater and Dave Mirra's BMX.

Even BMX XXX game was pretty fun.

How's THPS 2X? I might get an original Xbox just for that game and emulation. At least 3 and 4 we can play on PC.

Vid related

Like most things in life it is easy to do once you know where to look/do.
My Sony PlayStation 2 (USA) Collection
8517b29d393c291aa331e9f479b3767321b200ed
Also the iso for the XBOX/PS2 is also likely on theisozone and co.
igg-games/gamestorrent.co [igg-games torrent version] both the the war in flames version.

Shadow Hearts comes to mind, King's Field as well.

Still think one was the best.

But the universe doesn't say what you want it to say…

Mercs 2 really doesn't live up the original I'm sorry to say

I'd rather it died.

At least it died with dignity.

rip

whenever I play a FPS i get sad

Killed after 3 games and now they only make non-canon spinoffs.

Custom Robo got another game released in the US on the DS.
Not as good as the original unfortunately.

everyone mourning truly dead franchises here and then comes this nigger.

besides, SMTIV is pretty alright, so stop whining

I miss it.

And you think the franchises that gets to rest in peace have it "harder".

FIIIIIYAAAA-AAAA EEEEEEMBUREEEEEM

The problem with the Tony Hawks series is that they continued making games when they should have just killed it. Though Ride and Shred essentially did that for them anyway.

please stop reminding me

kys

Same could be said of a lot of older JRPG series, really. Probably more of them that are dead at this point than still alive/active. Sure, there's some new franchises that have taken the place of some of the fallen, but still. Of course, depending on who you ask, some would say some of them deserved to die a lot sooner than they actually did (I generally don't agree with that notion, but Golden Sun is a case where I am more than willing to after Dark Dawn).

It feels slower than THUG or PS4 but the graphics in it are the best in the series.

I'd recommend all THPS games to be played on the xbox since they look and run better

Kenka Bancho isn't dead. Kenka Bancho Otome came out earlier this year and Kenka Bancho 6: Soul & Blood was released on 3DS last year in Nip only.

It sickens me that there will never be another fully realized Tenchu game.

Not sure if Meteos counts as a series but still. There is an extreme lack of good touch screen based games in this console generation.

2 is also on pc

Came here to post this

Kenka Bancho 6 bombed and Kenka Bancho Otome outsold the last 3 games in the actual series. Then Spike Chunsoft did a poll on what games they should localize for the PC; Otome was on it but none of the actual games weren't.

Otome won the poll effectively killing any chance at a new game or a localization of the actual series. It's an Otome only series now.

Kenka Bancho is dead.

I wanna see a comeback of the bomberman series, especially the 3d kind.

Oh fuck, I didn't know about the poll.

At least there's Uppers r-right?

fucking degenerates

Nintendrones pls

You know what? I agree. We don't need rehashes just like we don't need another Doom game. Doom 2 is almost perfect and whatever it can be added is moddable. We need definitive free software versions of all classic games, so we can build communities around them, and that way we can fork, mod and upgrade at ease.

Definitely die.

IT'S IMPORTANT TO PRACTICE GOOD HYGENE

Why isn't there a new Virtual-On with VR support?

I can feel my soul leaving my body.

Xtreme G had two more games after XG2. I have no idea how good they are. Last Fight seems to be a decent Power Stone successor but I want more Rouge though.

lol

I'd rather they rest in peace than to see them turn into The Simpsons.

I will admit, 2 wasn't as great as 1 and UJL due to it's piss easy difficulty. Yes, I have played with all the hats

Also, I want to toss that damn boombox into the next 6 dimensions.

AT LEAST IF YOU WANNA RUN WITH MY TEAM

You mean you wanted 989 to carry on making TM games the series in general? Cause there was Small Brawl and Black afterward that were fantastic And a reboot in 2012 which is best left unremembered.

But hell it's not just a series that's dead but the entire genera they belonged to.
At least there's Carmageddon: Max Damage and Gas Guzzlers Extreme

Suikoden suffered a fate worse than death.

It feels as if there's a gap in the market for this type of game on PC…

There's BalisticsNG that's free and on steam that's just straight up a Wipeout game.

That fucking game.

It still hurts. He deserved at least one more.

the series died a slow death OP

It was great on the PS1/PS2 but struggled hard when the next generation games started appearing. Almost every game after American Wasteland just felt noticeably worse than the games that came before. I even stopped playing the series entirely and just went back to the ones on the PS2. Eventually they made shit like Ride and THPS HD and I just wanted it to die.

Activision's contract to make Tony Hawk games ended the same year as THPS5 so thankfully we won't see more shit games in the franchise. I'm somewhat glad it's completely dead and some other studio can make a spiritual successor now.

Tony Hawk was dead for a while. It just wasn't put down til THPS5

It's basically just a port of THPS1 and 2 on the original Xbox. It's pretty solid but I'd say the later games are more enjoyable.

Pretty poorly managed franchise imo. I think it was developed by Rare or some other studio it would've been 10 times better.

Someone stole my vol 1 of this.
I recently moved, and when I was packing up my stuff, I noticed in my ps2 game stack, I was missing Xenosaga 1, .HACK//Infection, and Ar Tonelico 2. I went to check the binder I keep the games in and the discs were fucking gone as well. and the dvd that came with .HACK//Infection was missing out of a seperate dvd binder.

Golden Sun.
As bad as DD was in comparison to the first 2 games, It ended on a cliffhanger, and I fucking hate that. I want another one.

The second game ended pretty definitively. I don't know why people wanted a sequel to it.

Dark Dawn was pretty bad and I personally don't think there'll ever be another.

Realistically I would've preferred a Golden Sun prequel that took place in the golden age of alchemy rather than a sequel after everything's already been fixed

The guys at Bugbear are making a new Demolition Derby game that's a mix of the Demo Derby games for PS1 and Flatout. Its definitely worth a torrent.

Same thing with Guitar Hero. What was the best game? I think 3 was the best.

Also, LBP is pretty much dead.

THPS was always about a stupid story. I don't get where this "But THUG2 was stupid! Not serious enough!" stuff came from when you had a Zookeeper brainwashing people and a guy fucking a goat in THPS. The gameplay was still solid as ever even with craziness. I don't see it as a decline in the series.

They tried resurrecting that and it failed. Mad Katz had to lay off staff because of it.

It's not so much the franchise is dead. Moreso that people don't want it.

I would play this game if not for the tracklist, filled with fucking numetal and pop garbage

Ah LBP, I had a lot of fun with that one. Unfortunately, I think it suffered from "every sequel is worse than the last game" syndrome until it became unplayable. Plus I learned how to actually make games so games with level editors lost their appeal to me.

I still like level editors because I like the idea of producing content for games long after the original developers have.

Plus you tend to get more people interested in it and it takes significantly less time to make a custom level than it does to make an entire video game with that level inside it

Chances of getting a Fallout game like this again are dead. Fallout 4 hurt.

Fuck, forgot LBP3 got released.

Bare in mind people said the exact same thing when Fallout 3 released. "Chances of getting a Fallout game like 1 or 2 are dead"

Then New Vegas came out and it was great largely because Obsidian made it and not Bethesda

Panzer Dragoon

Fucking Sega won't allow any IP that isn't Autism the Hedgehog to exist.

Do take into account that since New Vegas was made, not only did Bethsda go out of their way to screw Obsidian out of money already straining their relationship, they've also had some of their strongest writers leave.

Fallout 4 just hammered the series in the head with the "We want the Minecraft/Survival ARK Rust audience" shit.

Why did they add that heavy delay clumsiness to Fallout 4 too? It's annoying just to talk to people. Skyrim i could barely stomach.

Another Fallout game in the style of 1 and 2 could be good, but usually the revival of old isometric RPGs doesn't end up too well. I personally didn't like Pillar of Eternity or Wasteland 2.

I just want another game like New Vegas.

We don't necessarily need another Fallout by Obsidian. There are other studios that could do it.

Bare in mind one of the reasons why New Vegas was good was it recycled a lot of elements (and developers) from the cut Fallout 3 we never got. I'd rather an entirely different developer try their hand at making a good Fallout game rather than another rehash.

There's a lot of ideas developers have had over the years for Fallout games that have never been tried. Like iirc there was an idea floating around for a Fallout game set in China. That would be a amazing idea and it just hasn't been done. There's so many opportunities just out there for the IP and it doesn't need Obsidian at the helm to be good.

I don't think a Fallout game outside of the US would be a good idea.

It's legit never been tried is the thing

The problem I have with Fallout now is it comes across like every game after 4 is going to have to be a rehash. 4 rehashed 3 hard and 3 was already just a rehash of 1 and 2 in 3D.

Like I said there's so many directions that a game like Fallout could take if it was set in a different country entirely. Using China is convenient because you could use an entirely different genre of music, you could make fun of things like Maoist propaganda etc. Plus it allows for a completely different experience than we're used to. Which I'd personally like to see rather than just Fallout 3 done again, which is probably what the next game is going to be like.

I feel like if they tried to make Fallout outside of the US, they'd still try to insert the Vault Boy in it, despite it making no sense at all outside of Vault-tec. But it could be interesting if enough care was put to it. Hell, something similar to M2033 could be used to explain some Russians surviving the holocaust, basically using Moscow and other city metros.

How about Fallout… In Australia

I really want a Mad Max based game like New Vegas but with car combat. Last year's Mad Max game was alright but it felt like Arkham with shiny chrome cars. I want a more real post apocalyptic vehicular slaughter experience

>there are still people who think that thugpro sucks cause there is no career/story mode, and they hate online play cause they suck at it

I cannot for the life of me find a good video that shows what thugpro is all about

I just can't run it

Any particular issues running it?

On a related note, I should point out that Chase has put out an experimental thugpro+wine bundled standalone for mac users who wish to play thugpro without wanting to mess around with wine.
thmods.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=711

(checked)
Metriod dying was sad. I also miss MegaMan.

It's not focused on Thugpro but towards the end of the video he talks about it. Also the rest of it is entertaining.

They let Yakuza and Miku exist. But yeah, they have a bad habit of ignoring the potential for various series when they're not killing them off. At least that Sega sanctioned shitposting Sonic twitter account it pretty lovable.

Xenosaga Episode and .hack Infection are at least cheap to replace if need be; really, if you have Xenosaga Episode III, or Quarentine (or any other somewhat pricy PS2 game for that matter) be glad they didn't take those instead. As for Ar Tonelico II, there's always playing it with the fan retranslation, which is now on Beta 5a.

What strikes me as odd is that Camelot (or perhaps Nintendo; whoever calls their shots) seem much more happy to make Mario sports stuff than JRPGs these days, despite the popularity of Golden Sun and their long standing history with Shining. I mean, looking at the faults of Dark Dawn, I'm not even sure if they wanted to make a third game in the first place. Still, if you don't want to make another entry in the same series but there's still clearly clamor for something like it, it would have been nice if they made a spiritual successor that was different enough to not be Golden Sun but share some elements people were fond of.

I wish Gundam hadn't died in the west

He wanted to make a video about thugpro / tony hawk community alone but last I heard he hasn't gotten to it because he's busy recently irl with work, and iirc cause of issues related to yt's policy that caused them to stop paying him for his videos.

I would rather see a trailer presented similarly to that thps3 level trailer, but instead of just showing levels it also shows bit's of stuff like the game's online play, new/fixed machanics and tricks, the loads of stuff added/fixed to create-a-park, level options/ToD etc… done in a "show, don't tell" sorta way for people to get a general idea on what the mod is all about. Most of the presentable videos that I have seen about the game kinda shows it more of a "it's thug2 mod that adds more levels" sorta stuff even though it's more along the lines of game mods like Project:M. (most other videos are ether way too long/filled with try hard funny people, or just incomprehensible prov stuff, or cringy noob texture mod shit)

It has levels from THPS1 and others made by Treyarch, but those levels kinda suck, it plays good on a 360, it has some minor graphical glitches sometimes, but you'll barely notice them most of the time.

keep sucking on that obsidian cock user.

These games both suffered the exact same syndrome:

Fuck them

It's not like Evolution have much of a choice now though, since Sony shut them down.

I got back into skating again this year, and now that winter's coming, I'm going to have to make Skate 2 my new best friend once snow starts falling. I progressed a lot this year, learning some intermediate fliptricks now, and my heelflips are on lock.

They should've combined them to fix Rogue Squadron's shitty ground combat into Rogue Squadron 4: Battlefront.

Does it have the THPS1 San Francisco level? The biggest crime of the THPS series is putting EMB in a game where you can't do sliding grinds (nose/tail slides and bluntslides) and no manuals.

Isn't Uppers shit?

Given how Fire Emblem seems to have doubled down on waifu wars and simplifying mechanics, maybe I should count myself lucky but I miss the advance wars series. I still think that Days of Ruin is a good game just a fairly experimental one.

Two games and one never got released stateside. Then Cing goes under and has to reform under a different name.

It's not Kenka Bancho but if you guys want your japanese delinquent fix, they are releasing a Crows game.

They started adding pop shit after GH3. Fucking Paramore and Linkin Park for fuck sake…

Guitar Hero was supposed to be just lighthearted fun with cartoonish characters playing classic rock music. How the fuck they manage to fuck up this formula is beyond me.

Why did Earth 2160 have to be such a broken mess of a game.

I actually enjoyed world tour, last GH I played, due to rest of the songs being great
in base GH live you have hardly any classic rock with shit like eminem, rhianna or fucking skrillex instead

Einhander was successful but it didn't get a sequel or reboot which is a real shame.

The others suffered the usual fate of eventually turning into shit or loosing popularity.

World Tour wasn't that bad, just greatly unpolished.

But you could see hints of the decline starting there.

How's Shinobi on the ps2?

It hurts

Different user, but it's fun. It can be a bit tedious because of your constantly draining HP and enemies that can guard everything; but it's not bad.

I recommend the sequel Nightshade over it. However, you should play Shinobi first for story continuity.

I hope it stays dead though
Community is doing more for the franchise than GSC could ever do nowadays.

I've always wanted a follow up gaming to Conkers Bad fur Day. No that shitty xbox version of the game doesn't count even though multi-player was decent. Even a good sequel to Banjo-tootie would of been nice but no rare ware went to shit…

Did you watch the devs' commentary of the game ? It was great. They were in love with what they were making, so obviously.
But… well, now that microsoft owns the series and everybody hates what they've done with it, we can't even hope for a shitty sequel…

If you have some way to use a GH/RB guitar controller on your computer, you can at least play a clone like FoFiX or Phase Shift with all the tracks from whatever games you want.

Would you rather have a series you like die early, or watch it become a walking corpse as it became casualized and littered with AAA nonsense?

Yeah I've seen some of it. That project spark or whatever they put Conkers in was a joke too. It makes me depressed I think the game was just released too late in N64 game cycle to have a fighting chance. Also to get a original copy of the game cost you a arm and a leg on ebay. I wanna buy a copy just can't justify spending the money with emulation as good as it is. Who knows maybe one day I'll break down and buy a copy but not anytime soon…

Perhaps, but the series was pretty good as it was. Honestly shocked it died since Gex 3 sold really well and then nothing until Square came out and flat out said they had no more interest in it and put the series up for grabs.

After seeing Half Life just kind of stop, and see Ass Creed slowly turn worse and worse every installment instead of better and better, I can safely say I'd rather see a quiet end.

In the current year? It would never happen.

Note that AndyTHPS was a designer on the Neversoft team. It seems most AAA devs these days lack the skill to actually play their own games at such a level.

Which is problaly why they're getting easier: lazy people making lazy content for lazy costumers.

A nigger can dream but your right it'll never happen.

IIRC he worked on most of the classic levels in thug1-thaw, and he made East LA in thaw.

the cutscenes were worth it
until you've recently seen them

I'm not sucking Obsidian's cock. I was just pointing out Obsidian was a better developer than Bethesda. Which is undeniable. I even mention here

That we don't need another Fallout game by Obsidian and it'd probably be a better idea to have another dev try to make one.

I remember on GSC's forum one of the developers even stated they stopped patching Shadow of Chernobyl because the fanbase fixed bugs in the game before they could.

Doesn't have it yet, but it does have thps4's sf which has bit of emb in it.

its not quite a series
and i don't quite wish it was back

but i wanna play it again

Eh, I'll take it, but it's a bit paltry. And still no China Banks either.

I'm going to replay it, but one thing that always puts me off is how the career mode strips you of abilities and makes you relearn them in missions. I know how to manual, I shouldn't have to unlock it in story mode.

get out

It was ok, it's the same faggot from agar.io.

why live anymore

Shame they won't make anymore because of Weeb Emblem. Probably due DoR's lack of bright colors that autists love.

Blood is such an awesome game.

I would've said Unreal Tournament if this was a few years ago, but I'm glad we're actually getting a new installment, especially one that doesn't look like ass.