What was the deal behind this game?

What was the deal behind this game?

I knew about the existence of some scandal, but no details. In other words: What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/app/271760/discussions/0/451848854979297170/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did someone say dungeon lords?

You have my attention and my bump

Okay one thing I know about is that it promised character customization. It even had the options greyed out in the base game.

Like a ridiculous long time after that, they actually added it in. It must have been years I wager.

Curiously they didn't fix various things. Like for example that:

It also had really comfy big guys. I like to be scared by big monsters in vidya.

WHAT'S THE DEAL WITH FINAL FANTASY?
IT NEVER ENDS

That music piece was the best part of the game, difficulty in unlocking treasure chests progressing with your character level was the worst. It had very nice multiclassing and spellcasting systems and limited action-oriented combat - for example the ability to cast spells while somersaulting back was great. Other than that it had dumb enemy respawns, not especially engaging story in general and main quest in particular, very underwhelming graphics and unmemorable original race selection options. And 3D platforming segments that some players might hate, but at least it was difficult to die during them.

I dont know of other controversies but the fact that it was half finished and broken when it came out.

But i still adore this game, i dont know why.
This game has so many nonsensical things that i cannot help but love.

For example the pause menu does not actually pause the game, instead it goes into timeout. So nobody is allowed to move, but projectiles continue to go, dot effects keep ticking and health regenerates, its complete bogus but it is realy something unique.

The XP system was genious in my opinion, far better than a skill system and essentialy having 5 classes was pretty great. Especialy with wacky classes like Ninja wizard and Necromancer Rogue that would get access to some funky special skills only they could have.

Still the game was incomplete as shit on launch. Ive started over i dont know how many times because ive ran into a progression limiting bug.

Eventually they released a special edition that among other things finally had character customization (with stuff like beeing left or right handed, which actually impacted the gameplay) and added some side quests, which the game before had a grand total of zero ones.

The strange thing about the game is that its a semi open world and feels like a normal RPG due to it beeing third person but essentialy its an ARPG at its core and closer to diablo.

The multiplayer emphasized it, having a character that carries over, the problem is, your quests do not carry over, means you cannot realy use a multiplayer character in your campaign again, despite beeing able to import any character into any save file.

Again this game was very wacky in terms of its design descisions.

Let me just list a couple of those that i can come up with at the top of my head

Im sure theres more and some other user can help me out here.

Either way i want to play that game again now, its as broken as it gets but it does so many things in such strange ways that i cannot help but adore it.

OH! I think I just got why.

Have you ever played might and magic 6-8? Well it had a similar system. You might say: Actually finished system.
My guess is that the Dungeon Lords dev actually wanted to have it so that there was a round-based classical combat mode. But along the way they obviously didnt care to finish the game and just left it in.

Yeah. I remember that kid-me tried to glitch over a hill to reach into other zones I wasn't supposed to go yet. Trying to emulate elderscrolls feels.

Kid me had extremely laggy internet not suitable for multiplayer. ;_;

Don't forget that many magic spells were basically fireworks.

I never advanced that far. I mostly hang out in the starting area.

I remember them being INSANELY annoying. Holy shit you just reminded me.

Did it actually kept reloading in the pause menu or what exactly was happening?
IIRC didn't the pause menu just finish all the attacks, it should reload, right?

Also a quite punishing old school trap system.

Why was it so famous anyway?

I think you might be giving them a bit too much credit there since the rest of the combat system is essentialy diablo esque but i admit that playing a mage ofthen felt like it was a turn based game. something i liked because it reminded me of the clunkyness of the games of my childhood.

pretty much a limitation of the engine i suppose, but yeah each magic school other than the rune based one had some form of fireworks magic missle spell.

AFAIK the reload was mereley a backswing animation so if the attack was finished it should have reloaded in the pause menu, probably why i found it so infuriating in the first sewer dungeon.

It was? I dont remember it beeing that famous

If anything, it reminded me of classical roguelikes.

That's what I mean. All the monsters finish their animation.

whats the deal with warhammer 40000? where are the other 39998?

One trick I loved to use as a shithead kid was to save a file just before landing the last hit on a boss, save after killing the boss on a different file, then import my character back to just before landing the last hit in a multiplayer game. I would just grind high xp mob last hits autistically to get my skills high.

sounds evil

I like this game honestly, it's really flawed but unique.
It's crazy to think how long the guy who's made has been trying to profit off it though.
The original version was released 11 years ago, then the collectors edition came out with the 1.5 patch that basically made the game what it supposed to be, then the MXMII version years later that tried to fix and update a lot of the gameplay but ended shitting the bed over all, and finally the steam version which is the definite version as it contains all the fixes and updates from the past versions without any of the awful additions to gameplay from mxmii like having your ranged and melee attacks bound to the same button.

I played a complete version of the game, even it had a lot of things that were buggy or could break the game, Not crashes, but things that would make characters close to unplayable or unbeatable gods.

This reminds me, I loved to use that little exploit to regenerate stamina in Gothic 3. Hilarious

let's talk more

Wait so the Steam Version is superior to 1.5? Whats New? Is it Worth getting?

I'd like to know that too.

A fuckton

steamcommunity.com/app/271760/discussions/0/451848854979297170/

but mostly multiplayer

how old is that version?

I haven't played it since I was a little kid.

It was utterly shit, unfinished and boring.
It felt like a pre-alpha for an amateur MMO with no other players.

There wasn't any furniture in the buildings.
The quests had game breaking bugs.
There were endlessly respawning massive groups of monsters that spawned every 30 seconds while you ran along the path from one tiny empty village to another. You could magically predict these spawns because the game would freeze for a few seconds, then stutter and continue.
You'd be surrounded by 20 wolves, and if you killed them and ran forwards then back a bit, they'd spawn again.
Nothing was interesting or fun about it.
Even coop didn't improve it.
Skills were unimaginative and dull, not fun to use and nor were they effective.
It was more or less made by one guy, who insisted on programming the engine in entirety by himself. Previously his games had been 2.5d, and even half 2D for most interactions.

He threw away gameplay to make a 3d engine.

Not worth playing, a frustration.

There was one lunatic fanatic guy on the forums at the time it came out, who completed it 25+ times, and that was back then.
He claimed it was perfect and completely playable, and in the same post described how he was hex editing the memory while running the game in order to finish one of the main quests.
That was after the collectors edition and another patch.

The memory of that creepy as fuck bastard still persists, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned up here to defend this lump of boiled dogshit.

Play any other rpg and you'll be more satisfied.

I agree with everything you said, but I was a little kid at the time and had fun with it. Probably 11 or 12.

lol, I also never even finished the game I was mostly hanging out in the starting region and not doing much actually

I got this in an RPG 3-pack, and didn't bother actually getting around to it for a few years after. Never figured out how to get out of the starting town, partially due to lack of good walkthroughs. Movement felt slippy, combat felt hit-and-miss. Had some positives, such as the trap unlocking system, but was clearly an unfinished mess overall. If you can find it on the cheap, it might be worth a play.

This more than anything makes me want to try the game out, it sounds like whomever made this game just put stuff in they thought was cool and rolled with it

Fucking casual

It's closer to WH42 anyway