So I looked at the file for my Autismcraft world on my PS3 and it was 40MB

So I looked at the file for my Autismcraft world on my PS3 and it was 40MB.

Apparently, the worlds in the console versions are 862*862*256 blocks. This comes to a total of 190,219,264.

Checking some of the data values of the blocks, it seems that each block requires either one byte or two. This means that for every block to be accounted for, a world will require between 200 and 400MB, and that's not even counting other stuff like chests, inventory, spawn location, animals, the Nether or The End.

So how in the Blazes does Minecraft save a world worth well over 200MB as a 40MB file?

compression
chunks
2x2
power of the cell

A block next to another block is very likely the same type. A1 to a80, all the same block, could be a few bytes.

On that note, an entirely air or dirt block could only be a few bytes. And regular compression.
It's not tough.

Don't play the game, but wouldn't it make more sense to only save changed/added/deleted blocks and generate everything that is unchanged from the seed?

This is actually kind of an interesting question, maybe /g/ could help, Holla Forums is fucking dumb and nobody here even understands how video games are even made.

It won't save chunks that haven't been generated yet.

Also this

Your halfchan faggotry is showing

Video games are made? I thought they just worked

Actually it's just that last i asked about it, people said Holla Forums is absolutely dead.
So i wouldn't want to send him somewhere where he'd post a question, and he would get an answer after a week, at best.

This. My understanding is that the world isn't actually fully generated at the outset, and only a certain draw distance is generated as the player explores. This is why save files grow in size over time even if you don't build anything/add blocks.

In a game like autismcraft, saving unchanged chunks still wouldn't be needed as the who map is procedurally generated with a seed. Each time a chunk is loaded you only need to know the seed to get it all back. You'd only need to save changes, which would require a lot less space.

Analyzing the world as 2D planes and read in the world from left to right, top to bottom. Then use a dictonary style compression (LZW). Since the landscape is highly repetitive you find the pattern once and then point to it instead of writting the pattern again. But who knows that is just one way to do it.
So if one pattern was 10 dirt blocks (each block is 1 byte) in a row and that pattern occured 100 times. The dictonary has index of 1 byte and the pattern is 10 bytes. So after recording the pattern every other occurance would only take 1 byte in memory instead of 10. Now the 10KB of information only takes 0.11KB. Then chests and other misc info can be raw.

I read something about this a while ago, and basically each chunk is split into cubes vertically. Cubes that don't have anything in them are basically omitted, and that's like half of the vertical space or something.

I think I also saw it doing something weird like counting 2 blocks into the same byte or something like that.

Large sections of the world would consist of solid stone or dirt, so you could easily compress planes (256 blocks) like that into a single object, don't know if minecraft does it like that though.

Here's an example of how my game simplified tile collision boxes, you could do a similar thing for compressing blocks. You just need to store the tile ID and the size information, and then you can just go to the end of it's boundary and fill the next section, and repeat.

Can someone post more videos like that? Those fucking screams…

New chunks are generated from the world seed based on your current offset X/Z in the world. The game only needs to store the seed and the blocks that you've changed.

kys fam

Well the console ports of minecraft are:
1. not java
2. coded by someone who knew what they were doing

but the limits of minecraft worlds are enough that they wont take up a lot of space in general, you figure the world height is only 256 meters, but having admin'd a few servers, a world can easily get up to a gig or better with players loading chunks in all directions up to fucking 50k from spawn
if you don't explore a large world, then yeah the size of a map is gonna be small because nothing has been generated yet

Люто проиграл просто, 10/10, охуенно

Can we have more of these?

Nice to see some good parenting for once.

you just love spanking little boys

Then why the fuck are the world so SMALL?

Minecraft autism thread?

Memory limitations. X360 is 512mb RAM, PS3 is 256mb, you do the math.

TRIGGERED.
need music for your game?

Post webbums

that kids should get his ass beat I swear to kek

I think you took the wrong door, cuckchan is two blocks down.

no it's a dumb question made by some faggot who can't into compression like you
Majority of people on 8/v/ have a better understanding on Game Development than the majority of AAA game developers, and that's not impressive - it's just sad.

Minecraft doesn't generate the whole map at once. So wander around and the file will probably get bigger
Only 862 blocks across though? No Mods? Why would you fucking play that

Octrees or RLE.

>>>Holla Forums8011327