What happened to tactical FPS games?

What happened to tactical FPS games?

Why does nobody make them anymore?

Takedown Ded Sabre is why.

They died.
No, those are horrid abominations of tactical shooters. The best in their genre were R6 1 and 2, Swat 3, GR 1 and expansions.

Forgot to add delta force to that list, all the way up to Black Hawk Down.

Why doesn't Holla Forums play tacticool shooters?

Fukken weak cunts happened.

They don't sell well to plebs.
Too hard for them to keep attention without big explosions and shit.

People couldn't handle Ding Chavez

Count R6 3 in that too. Raven Shield kept the formula and was pretty good.

After that it took a massive nosedive and stopped being R6 and just another generic Hollywood CoD-clone in the name of Vegas.

Thank me later.

Here's the twist. You don't play them anymore either. Wonder why.

cause they feel like work and i don't feel like working

I do actually.

Like what

SQUAD, Project Reality, ARMA 3, Men of War Assault Squad with FPS mod

They do make them, you just don't play video games.

Rainbow Six
Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear
Rainbow Six: Raven Shield
Ghost Recon
SWAT 3
Operation Flashpoint

And all their expansion packs.

Completing missions and objectives in these games actually feels rewarding.

If you want instant-gratification, try Brownbloom Shooter #1683105 where you get an [Achievement Unlocked] for opening a door or taking a step.

no you dont

(you)

this.

real tactical shooters are for men but todays fps games are made for kids

OG Ghost Recon was really good

no need to tell me, i played that shit forever. alone, with friends, you name it.

Either they stopped making money or publishers/developers streamlined and casualized them to the point people stopped buying them, leading back to the first option.

I'd love a game that plays like SWAT 4 but with smoother movement and top tier physics and ballistics.

bump

What was the deal with Rainbow Six anyway?

Did you always have to give roders only to your teammates prior to the mission or couldyou also give orders to your PC and watch it go along as an NPC? I somehow remember a mission taking place in a desert/cliff type area near a bridge, where you could climb onto a cliff for cover and wait for your targets to arrive, but not much else about the whole game, too young.

Consoles, what else.

When you play the same games over and over shit becomes like auto-pilot.
Source: me

Call of Duty happened and it ruined the good name of tacticool shooters.
Now everyone hates them because they think they're all brown and bloom ultra-realistic casual trash.

Too hard and complicated for the lowest common denominator. Too complex for consoles.

I recommended this one in an indie game thread earlier. It was a really good game but it died because it didn't fondle the average steam users balls.

sage because I dont remember the name

I played a good tactical shooter some years ago.
You had a band of guys and you would click where to send them.
You'd make them use cover and send them to flank the enemy.
You'd order them when to throw grenades etc.
One level was in a road near a hill and the rest were sort of in cities and hills and what-not.

band of brothers? full spectrum warrior?

At this point Holla Forums is just a self fulfilling prophecy. You ignore all the good games that do come out or deny that they are good just so you can continue to say modern games are shit

I remember playing socom 2 and someone on the mic kept talking about ghost recon.

I think it might be band of brothers actually.
YES!
Brothers in Arms.

Brothers in Arms.
A good game tbh.

I really liked the mission in SWAT 4 where you raid the basementdweller's house.
It was like playing on the opposite end of a fucko thread.

Siege is not a R6 game you retard.

There hasn't been an actual R6 game since Raven Shield.

This has nothing to do with hating modern games. It has everything to do with devs catering to the masses and getting rid of what made Rainbow Six so unique and great, such as pre-planning and setting waypoints.

Vegas and Siege are generic Hollywood shooters catered to the CoD crowd.

Maybe because it's just Counter-Strike with assfaggots character gimmick and not an actual tactical FPS?

pretty shitty game with an over-reliance on uninteresting tactics, flanking, and some of the worst feeling weapons ever designed in a shooter

I think tactical shooters died because they are shit

Ghost Recon 1 was great

Reminder that the original Rainbow 6 had a pretty decent N64 port for the time. The was also Socom on the PS2 and a port of Operation Flashpoint on the og Xbox.
I wish those times could come back. I've heard of a couple modern PC games getting ported to current gen consoles like Mount & Blade: Warband and Wasteland 2. I just hope devs pay attention and see that they don't have to dumb down games.

You said nothing about what makes siege a good game.
Guess that Holla Forums guy was right, faggot.

Consoles

Because its target market is smaller anti-satan

I thought it's because it was shit

Is OP retarded

Tactical shooters back in the day weren't usually big budget games. They were either middle market games and were always a niche market

Tactical shooters had an almost sim-like appeal. They were always not as popular as action heavy games like Doom or Quake.

However in more modern times game budgets started to skyrocket along with marketing budgets. Now games had to sell millions of copies inorder to just break even, not including profit. Therefore they were essentially forced to broaden the base of these games. The vast majority of people when they buy a shooter don't like the idea of having to restart a mission because they walked into a room without looking and got shot by a dude behind the door. They don't like spending 10 minutes planning out a mission before hand and having to reload several times inorder to get farther.

This sort of thing is obvious to me and I can't really see why someone doesn't get it. Sit any modern gamer down with the original Rainbow Six and watch as they are incapable of completing the first mission.

There's plenty of modern gamers who would like such games, but they are drastically in the minority. If Ubisoft made a modern Rainbow Six game in the style of the originals it would sell extremely poorly compared to if they made a Call of Duty clone.

This was the same viewpoint Square Enix had towards Hitman but it backfired there because Absolution was already pretty garbage and despite selling pretty well was deemed a failure because Squeenix spent way too much on it.

The only way tactical shooters and other niche markets could make a comeback is if the market dramatically shifted away from overhyped overmarketed games selling the best and returned to developers making modestly budgeted games that still sold well. Most of the best games from the 90s and early 2000s like Thief, Hitman, No One Lives Forever etc were not big budget games but could get away with having lots of ambition because they didn't potentially bankrupt the publisher if they didn't turn a profit. Nowadays if a game like Mafia 3 doesn't sell 8 million copies the studio gets liquidated

Which should I play, SWAT 3 or 4?

Also, are the servers for each somewhat alive?

They basically play the same. SWAT 3 however looks more like Half-Life wheras SWAT 4 looks more like Rainbow Six 3 and plays more like a modern game. (Like by default in SWAT 3 it doesn't show your weapon model).

In terms of multiplayer I'd be surprised if either game was still played by people. I do know both games were capable of being modded though (since SWAT 3 ran on Goldsrc and SWAT 4 ran on Unreal 2) and both games had reasonably sized modding communities

iirc both were possible.

You had your planning phasein which you planned your mission. with routes for your team adn what to do and shit, but you could also play it and issuee orders during the mission, change your strategy.

You're in my way sir.

SWAT 4 and the expansion. 3 has some interesting features missing or half-assed in 4 but aged like potato salad. 4 is mandatory for sophisticated gaymen.

I may not have explained why siege is good, but he also didn't explain why siege was bad.

i remember being i think thirteen and hanging out at a girl who I liked's house. her dad was playing the first rainbow six and was so fucking good at it that he spent like a half hour planning his assault, and then just watched it happen. if you had the chops for it you could just plan out a perfect mission and watch the action if you didn't feel like doing the shooting yourself

I thought you wanted to be a bigger man than him.

SWAT 3 has far better AI but the controls are stiff

SWAT 4 controls like a more modern shooter but your team mate AI is either retarded or they'll be expert marksmen. You also have to report every little thing to TOC and pick up weapons yourself whereas 3 had your companions able to do it.

Good thing that after the trainwreck that was BF3 i decided to stay away from the seasonal AAA crap EA/Ubisoft/whatever decides to pump out.

Where can I get SWAT 4? aside from pirating

Because the gaming audience got infected by too much genetic trash for them to be able to understand and play games like this. They don't understand how to actually git gud at games. Look at the first pic here . He had to watch fucking hours of CS instructional videos, fucking HOURS and when it comes to AoE he's surprised that he still doesn't really know what to do to be gud after watching instruction videos. Their minds are so miniscule that they can't possibly understand that you need experience to be good at games which require at least some skill. Instructional videos and tutorials are only there for you to understand the basics, to actually be good at a game you need to develop skills at the game and for that you need to actually PLAY the game and understand what's good and what's not, but no, they think that instructional videos are like this well of knowledge and that if they just pour some of it into their heads they'll be an instant expert at it.

Factor in that making games is more expensive like said so you have to pander to such trash and you see why a lot of old niche genres are completely dead nowadays.

Never trust the opinions of anyone who obviously hasn't liked at least one fighting game in their lives. Fighting games are also ironically a console-dominated genre too. Rising Thunder attempted to have special moves and supers dedicated to single individual buttons and that game died before it came to life, though its premise would've prevented that anyways. Talos and Vlad were the only decent characters too. I for one think that we need six face buttons on gamepads these days. ESDF has also looked a bit attractive as of late.

Also Age of Empires from my experience isn't a super hard game. It's also slower paced than games like Starcraft as well, which gives people more room for error. The game even has tooltips for telling you how shit works. I'm not even good at RTS games but these people are DSP-tiers of bad.

Gee I dunno user, maybe because I'm stuck playing the same games from over a decade ago if I want to play that genre?

Pic related said their next game after deathwing is a mix between SWAT 4 , GitS and other stuff.
So that's one thing to look forward to at least.

I literally just played through Rogue Spear last week.

As always consoles are to blame

Literally playing R63 at the moment.

git gud scrub

I bet you never even played the game :^)

On one hand I want Paris to erupt into sectarian conflict. On the other, I don't want those guys to get beheaded.

Well guess what, you just lost a bet.

Alright, lets go play coop right now. See what you are made out of.

I know this feel. I miss games like Rainbow Six 3 and the original Ghost Recon (all the sequels were shit). Nobody makes games like that anymore. Takedown: Red Sabre was supposed to be a comeback for the genre, but it ended up being a shitshow, like most Kickstarter projects. Really, these games only had a brief time in the sun, in the late '90s and early '00s. I have hope that there will be more someday, though.

Every time. Those games are autistic combat sims, not tactical shooters.

Where's the squad order interface in Siege? Oh, right.

Don't have the non-pirated version of the game. It sounds like you just have to git gud at the planning part of the mission.

"Tactical shooter" is a mechanical label. "Modern military" only describes the setting/tone. But yes, before Call of Duty, the modern military tone was associated with tactical shooters.

I remember this, and miss it.

The first time I played Rogue Spear I get stuck on something like the 4th or 5th mission and ended up beating it through trial and error in observer mode, using the helmetcams and map view to determine where things were going wrong with my only in-mission input being gocodes and the like. I ended up completing the mission in that command role and loved it so much I beat the rest of the game like I was in the command centre from Patriot Games.

Too niche (AKA not big enough of an audience). Market research done by Riotweb Media has proven that tactical FPS games do not sell, and are not viable in this media environment. Thus, we have done so as the predictions of the way of the market.

Consoles.

Compounding on this issue, attempting to encroach on a niche area would require higher budgeting as any 'Second-Movers Disadvantage' has shown, needing more budgetary costs and demands to match consumers expectations and results.

This has some potential but right now its very very early.

CS:GO happened.

People only thing of that shit when they think about a "tactical" FPS.

holy shit i thought they died with takedown

It's not the same dev. At least, I don't think it is.