What drives a man to Grind?

What drives a man to Grind?

Why do we love it so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

elona.wikia.com/wiki/Black_angel
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Because addiction makes for good companions with skinner boxes.

and crippling loneliness.

We like the method of grinding more than the actual grinding.

I like my grinding to be done via attacking mountains of peons in real time. I do not like taking the time to watch turn based battles.

In real life, there's a significant gap between effort and reward.

In vidjers, you get to see the numbers go up every time you do something.

Humans are biologically driven to work. Not being able to enjoy it legitimately means something is wrong with you.

Hornyness in my case, generally speaking.

Like… on a hug pillow or something?

Thanks for confirming it user, when do I get my welfare?
:^)

Bigger numbers
More shit
and More bigger numbers

I like making my numbers really big. Speaking of which, what game has the biggest numbers?

I like finding rare shit, can't help it.

A prison of his own design.

Gives me time to catch up on all my podcasts.

It's mindless.

In most RPGs grinding rewards you by unlocking more of the world, opening up fast-travel warps, unlocking new levels, and then some.

Basically in most RPGs I end up not grinding after unlocking the entire map and getting all the weapons. That's why I've never 100%'d any RPG in a long ass time

Or you could just spend 13000 USD to max out your account in a few hours.

Because it is instinctively satisfying to put in work and have it return guaranteed results.

At first I though you meant "One thousand three hundred dollars" and that would've been bad enough

Then I realized he spent OVER TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS ON RUNESCAPE

No, Jill

No, we

$13,000 spent, then he logged off it forever

NEETs are the scum of the first world.

Random drops largely. In a way it's helpful because you try to optimize it, and that means figuring out new things once in a while, or just getting better at killing stuff.

Only idiots with brains like rats like a treadmill

The western idea of what 'work' is hardly biological. Don't listen to that shit. Your worth isn't defined by your suffering in the pursuit of money to survive.

Humans are biologically driven to have a caloric intake and in modern contexts that requires work.

"Work" and "job" aren't interchangeable terms

In the western world it usually means something you probably don't want to do but have to. Meaning something crucial to your survival is ultimately unpleasant. Your only chance to escape this is to work (suffer) enough in your job to pay for respite and distraction afterwards. It's a shit attitude.

People need to eat otherwise they starve. Thanks for the revelation.

exactly!
You can't just have numbers go up.

…you have to have numbers go up in a way that fuels a persons sense of accomplishment.

you have to have some fanfare, you have to have be able to notice what a huge impact your new powers have on older enemies. and most important, you have to have way to "cheat" so you can jump ahead of "how your supposed to grind"
-Skip the copper sward and the ax, rely on the fireball spell, skip ahead to the secret town and get 5th best sword in the game. Fuck yes you feel powerful now.

ffs, not every job is being sitting at a desk and being whipped by your boss. believe it or not, life is a lot more complicated than a bumper sticker quote on Facebook.

You don't get to make up what words mean, m8

You think I don't know that it's possible to enjoy daily tasks with the right attitude? Fucking nigger it's the point I was making.

Culturally, there are 3 different schools of thought when it comes to work;

1.) The eastern school of thought, in the words of Alan Watts; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing and to dance while the music was being played

2.) The western tradition teaches you to reach an end-state for your hard work; this may be heaven, or wealth. An endless pursuit of perfection. Of that mythical meant to an ultimate end

3.) The post-modernist philosophy. That humanity is a large global collective that must all contribute equally and receive equally in return. What post-modernists conveniently leave out is actual purpose or meaning behind the drive to work. Which is why shit like Marxism will never work

It really depends on the type of work. A mechanic fixing an engine gets a genuine feeling of satisfaction seeing the thing functional again.
Creating something or fixing something feels good.
A lot of the office jobs have none of that and even programmers work on unsatisfying shit like some menu or some minor software about setting work dates.

Sisyphus's curse isn't rolling the rock up the hill – it's having to watch it roll back down.

=LITERALLY EVERTHING IN LIFE IS GRINDING YOU RETARDED NEET==

I'm not talking about language or dictionary definitions I'm talking about how people think about work, not the word its self. I wasn't trying to make up anything.

Smells like Holla Forums in here.

False sense of progress
the way all these soft-reboots do as well
they apprent to seem like they're doing something new, soft of like saying

more like grinding out a max level character to go into pvp with only to have the level cap go up

what did they mean by this?
a woman don't do that to any straight man anymore.

You're talking about an entirely different thing than the person you originally replied to was

BACK TO Holla Forums YOU NEET PIECE OF SHIT

HOMO SAPIENS DID NOT EVOLVE OVER BILLIONS OF YEARS JUST SO YOU CAN LAY IN YOUR BED AND JERK OFF ALL DAY
I BET YOU VOTED FOR BERNIE SANDERS BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO GIVE YOU FREE SHIT

Nigga chill

I'm Irish I can't vote for jack shit in the USA.

oh yeah
people are one people
you know my friend people was brainwashed by "X" and now all he does is work for money, not for food or water
how many times have they told you to fuck off because you overestimate "Peepol"

How are the potatoes doing Seamus?

I don't.
If there's a 4% drop I need to farm for hours upon hours in order to upgrade my weapon, I'll just fucking ignore it and keep playing the game.

C'mon now nig. 'People' is hardly all-inclusive.Poltards are easy to trigger just by suggestion that there's perhaps a more balanced attitude to modern living.

Just fine, lad. Thanks f'er askin'.

user don't step on my land or i'll be forced to get my MS-07b Gouf

People don't love grinding in games, they just accept it because it's easy and cheap for developers to put in when they need to pad out a game to add pseudo depth.

What people really love is customisation that has strategic value that allows you to approach challenges in different ways. Leveling up in games these days are just difficulty modifiers to give the illusion that you're getting better at the game when you're just making the game easier for yourself.

This is one of the core reasons why games are dumbed down. Ditching the level system that just adds numbers would force developers to make enemy encounters and challenges actually have depth instead of a grinding system that gives the illusion that you have achieved something.

This isn't the first time he's done something like this. I'm pretty sure the actual amount of money he's spent on Runescape is over 20000 USD.

Because it's the only sense of accomplishment I've ever known in life. ;_; I wish I were kidding.

I don't know if you knew this user but you can rub your genitals and they will orgasm. No need to thank me.

I tried this and now I got pee all over my hands. Thanks for nothing, jackass

Rub more user. Trust me on this, I'm an expert with 20 years of experience.

The idea that he can outperform a man born better than him by simply spending more time on something.

curious pov

time = grind
job = quest
skill = game
?

No one likes to grind.

Guaranteed 0.07% chance of having a component for a item drop.

Because you sucks at games and your life isnt worth living

Rpgs should have a "press I GIVE UP ON LIFE" button instead of "press START" at the beginning

If governements ever starts mass killing people because of population issues, every loser that plays rpg would be on the top of the list.

Wut?
Is that women or a futa? Killng her? Raping her?
Is there more?

The devil himself.

They're the last people who are going to need population control. They're not breeding anyway.

I just want to be the best there ever was.

I, for one, am not a Gookbot.

Newfags can't redtext.

>>>/gulag/

i hate grinding, shit bores me, and i can't stand turn based rpg's unless they have an interesting spin on it, otherwise it's just, 'what type is the enemy? ok, i'll use X' and using that over and over while watching the numbers go down. doing the same shit over and over is boring as fuck

this

Speak for yourself, I hate grinding. If a game forces me to grind before progressing, I drop it.

Thankfully, pic related may whoop your ass, but at least I'm not forced to grind if I don't want to.

I hate grind.

I hate hack'n'slash and MMOs. And anything free2play.

I want good gameplay.

people dont understand what a grind is. using most of the definitions in this thread, space invaders was grinding for points.

I laugh at your tinfoil hat theories

Human worth is defined by fecundity and the quality of offspring. You can't feed your offspring vague moralism, personal desires, and pointless philosophy.

sounds gay

Broadly yes but it depends a lot on where and how, also if there's an IRL appreciable benefit to grinding then it might work in your favour, Tournamentfags and the like.

agreed, i can personally only tolerate it in games like dark souls or when im just too tired to game

agreed, i can personally only tolerate it in games like dark souls or when im just too tired to game

Of course Homo Sapiens did not evolve over billions of years. Homo Sapiens is a fairly recent species.

you shitlord

Speak for yourself. Not everyone is incapable of editing savegames with a hex editor or operating Cheat Engine or some other memory parser.

I only ever grind for a particular goal, honestly.
Like "I need a better weapon to make this build work" or "I need level x".

It's a nice substitute for advancing in my real life.

Help, I'm supposed to be grinding but I can only play in ~20 minute sessions then end up pacing around. I should be able to play all day but I can't bring myself to do it. It's painful. What do?

Grinding is life.

How are you not advancing in life? If you are alive, then you are being productive to your life.

why do anything at all when you can tie a noose and hang yourself, life is meaningless anyway.

If we were going to put effort into something meaningful, we wouldn't be here.

Pavlov's dogs.
You keep pressing the same buttons over and over again for the reward of adrenal secretions associated with leveling up, getting items, etc.
It starts out easy and gets harder over time, forcing you to spend more and more time just to get your fix. It the same reason people play slots.

How the hell could a mouse live that long?

I think most NEET's just grind to fill the "productivity" void in their lives since they don't work or do any other productive activity.

Personally when i'm unemployed grinding makes me feel productive and when i'm working grinding helps me to relax after a long day, min-maxing and planning the most effective grinding methods really helps me to soothe my autism.

Having no responsibilities and all the time of the world is great at first but eventually you start losing interest in everything, having a job or some educational pursuit really makes you cherish the free time you spend on your hobbies.

It occurred to me yesterday that lifting is basically IRL grinding

I think people are just wired to be into that shit fam

Lifting (like any other physical exertion) releases endorphins. Grinding doesn't.

Say what you will about Egoraptor. He got this one right.

What is the difference between forcing a player to fight through a wave of enemies to get from point A to point B, versus forcing a player to fight an arbitrary number of enemies before returning to deliver a collected resource to point A to acquire something that will arbitrarily unlock point B?

Answer: Four hours.

Fuck Final Fantasy Explorers.

One reason is to facilitate the desires of those who equate a long accumulative playtime to a sound investment.
There are personal tastes involved, some play Fatlus games while other throw equally large amounts of time into whatever big multiplayer shooter is hot at the moment.

My personal taste is something fantasy based and western developed like Elder Scrolls or Witcher.
After watching a large collection of Breath of the Wild gameplay footage it makes me think Nintendo is willing to put something into my wheel house, so I will give them a large sum of money to play it.

I'm playing though Skyrim Special Edition because it was free but I'm doing it in a dumb way to make it kind of interesting.
I like to think I invented this playstyle even though I'm sure I didn't which is "I'm Not The Chosen-one".
I'm just an adventurer, I'm no "dragonborn".
I saw a single dragon at Helgan.
People keep talking about multiple dragons but so far I've only seen the one.
I helped out all the people in Riverwood and should talk to the Jarl of Whiterun but nah, I'm sure he is busy, he is the Jarl after all and there is a Civil War brewing.
I helped a bunch of people in Whiterun and one even wants me to deliver a sword to the Jarl's advisor.
He isn't getting this sword though, his cunt of a daughter needs to learn not to be a lazy shit, the city isn't that big and I'm not some fucking deliveryman.
I should also talk to him about collecting on a local bounty but I just don't feel like it.
Exacting justice is it's own reward.
Maybe we can just call it even for the sword.
I found the red eagle's sword then used it to enter his tomb and kill his resurrected corpse.
Killed some unreasonably hard to kill necromancer who was fucking up some Daedric Prince's temple, got a neat sword from it.
Rescued a guy from the Thalmor.
Got back a locket for some pansy ass priest but at least the skeletons made it a little reasonable of a request.
One I'm not too proud of is saving a tree with sap from another tree that got so pissed off it killed two nearby hippies.
Because they were dead I took shit from one of their packs and later had a hit put out on me by the girl who I thought died.
Read a bunch of books.
The Black Arrow volume 2 is the best I've read so far.
I've joined the companions and took out a hagraven they wanted me to kill.
They seem like a great merry band of perfectly pure blooded Men and a Dunmer.
After I'm done helping them I think I'll go down to Falkrenth since the Jarl there sent me a letter personally inviting me to help her with some unspecified problem.
Sure hope I don't run into any Warewolves in either case, that would be a little strange.
Maybe I'll help the Jarl of Falkrenth first and see what happens with the companions afterward.

I fucking hate grinding.

1. Gameplay accompanying grind is fun
2. Rewards from grind are good enough to make it satisfying
Preferably both of them because no reward will be fun when gameplay is boring, I am looking at you Diablo 3.

Years and years of being groomed into sedentary make-work slave labor jobs by society.

Skinner box reward systems.

I just do it out of boredom or if I'm not a high enough level to beat a boss tbh.

yeah

just WHO is that semen demon??

a nameless gift from a god

elona.wikia.com/wiki/Black_angel

I have the perfect game for pic 2!

(1)