Is Metal Gear Online dead?

Is Metal Gear Online dead?

God help me but the recent Metal Gear Survive footage made me want to play some more MGSV but i have 100%'ed the game and unlocked everything. Theres only so many times i can pillage someones long abandoned motherbase and im tempted to try MGO but that shit will take forever on my shitty internet so was wondering A: if its worth it or B: is it even still up anymore because with Konami you never fucking know anymore.

How is it?

dead as dirt, unless you organize something. There is always the 8/v/ steam group :^)but seriously there is one for just metal gear, you could probably organize something

How dead? Battleborn dead? Umbrella Crops dead?

Neither. Because Metal Gear Online 3 actually had potential. And it was fun. I hate to see it be dead because it was fun. And the team behind it seemed legitimately good.
I still wonder if the MGO team is now working on survival. I hope they really put their soul into it. No matter how it gets received.

Well MGSV has had some really cool updates post Kojima. If its all the same team i imagine Survive could be fun. I just hope its not all ending in a horde mode. They did say 'multiple op types' and i think they are probably going to make some fucking retarded sentient d walker monsters and such so it could be fun fox engine co-op. Still i think folks want any fox engine over pachinko at this point.

What if Survive ends up being better than MGO 3?

I'd love to help you m8 but I genuinely hate online multiplayer. If its not local multiplayer it just ironically triggers a wellspring of social anxiety because I hate skype, ventrilo, mumble ect. my IRL friends are not really gamers and It makes me paranoid as fuck to try to make friends with random people online. I was once involved with an MMO but that shit was cancer. MGO was fun tbh considering how much I hate PuG matches. I miss LAN parties, arcades & couch co-op games biggly.

Considering its online, open world co-op in the fox engine i imagine modders will go nuts with it.

Looking at the gameplay removed from the metal gear canon my only complaint is the horde mode shit at the end better not be the majority of the experience.

Remember the foggy valley in africa? imagine that multiplayer with monsters. It aint metal gear but that engine with that gameplay? ill take it.

The amount of meme magic for that to happen would be astronomical. Doesn't help that Konami has basically killed all good will with long time fans of the series and the company itself after Silent Hills was canceled.

Mechanically the game itself was excellent in terms of movement and utilizing equipment in fun ways but it felt short in the whole plot department. Did we really need an explanation for Big Boss showing up in Zanzibarland? I wish they would have just made a more refined version Peace Walker's co-op mode. Is it too much to ask for some fun stealth operating with friends & anons in this day and age.

Have there been any worthwhile mods for MGSV? Last I checked it was mostly just difficulty tweaks, reskins & models swaps, which I don't really care about.

Also it's a waste that Fox engine is only being used to make soccer games now. I wish somebody would reverse engineer it, or at least the guys who worked on it have hopefully left Konami to work on better things.

I played mgo3 shitloads but then the automatch stopped working and the only option was to play custom servers with faggots playing ocelot or snake and shitting on everyone.
At that point it didn't feel the same so I quit playing, if they got their shit together and fixed automatch I'd still play it.

mgo was dead 6 seconds after it came out because they decided p2p was a good idea

I checked a month ago and at 9pm there was one server with 3 people in it.

From what I played with those 3 people it was a pretty mediocre experience anyways.

Why was that? Was it the shame in believing MGSV would be good?

I guess as they MGO threads died down, most people lost interest.

It'll likely be always online and mods will be banned right from the get-go. Any and all attempts at private servers will be DCMA'd ultrafast. You know it's true.

Survive is a budget release, i fully expect an offline version because MGSV had one and they wont be able to rip it out with over half the team gone.

I imagine modders will have such a thirst for "what if metal gear solid V gameplay but with dinosaurs or snatchers?" it will happen.

I'm, uh, just saying. Uh, yknow, lifeā€¦ uh life finds a way.

Metal Gear Online is awesome, fuck what everyone else says. The previous version (MGO2 on PS3) was great as well, played it a fuckton. Anyway define "dead." I play it on Steam daily and I would say no, I can get into both a Bounty Hunter automatch and a Random Mode automatch instantly with zero wait time during the day. If you don't want to play with the low level automatch scrubs you can always go to "Select Match" and pick a room, but these are where the elite players tend to hang out so you might get dominated. It's 1am mountain time right now and I just checked and still got into a Bounty Hunter automatch with zero wait time. The other automatch modes besides Bounty Hunter are kinda dead right now since its so late at night and there is only one room up under Select Match but its just because its fucking 1am, it will be more populated during the day time, 12pm to 12am seem to be peak hours. So is it dead? Compared to CSGO maybe, but when I think "dead" I'm thinking of games like Resident Evil Revelations 2's Online Raid Mode which is literally a ghost town where it might take an hour or more to find another player.

I didn't even know revalatons 2 had online.

I wish I could have fucking played it but my game disc has region lock bullshit and doesn't recognize my PSN id since its from a different country. Well MGSV disappointed me so much that I cringe even looking at my copy so I lost any interest to play MGO then.

It's dead, but thanks to Konami's efforts it was never really alive in the first place.
Which is too bad because it's a really really good game.

I just saw a video of Dan Rykerts child mind discovering you can set the in game music to any game in the series' ost including the MSX games and it gave me a powerful thirst.

Yeah, there's a lot of small details like that.
Honestly I'm surprised they didn't just release this as F2P when the userbase started to go down and tried to bank on selling cosmetics.

Everybody would play this if it were free

I honestly thought they said they were making it free and riding on microtransactions a while ago.

Yeah as long as the microtransactions are ONLY be cosmetics I would be cool with that. I would just hate to see it become like Ghost Recon Phantoms with its unbalanced P2W weapons. Fuck that game.

I suggested it a few times on the forums and received a response from a Konami person once. Apparently there's no plans to do so.

surprising.

meanwhile mgs3 pachishit is getting a full orchestral ost release. what a strange company.

None of those updates added the missing chapter and a half of story.
None of those updates finished the half-finished game.
None of those updates mattered worth a damn.

but some cream on that bum user, it was never going to be finished. The new challenges and missions add more replay value and new weapons and items to use. considering i expected fuck all that was a welcome surprise.

blame whoever had the idea to form a new development team for a throwaway online mode and located them in one of the most expensive cities in america.

Honestly even Kojima had the wrong idea trying to make Peace Walker open world.

It's near enough dead the last time I looked. You have a better chance setting up a custom match in MGS3 than V, Pretty sure ages ago we had a match go on for that via emu or PS2 online.

You haven't lived, and you never will.

get a CFW PS3 and play MGO2 through the revive MGO project

MGO3 is pure garbage.

I mean MGO2 is fun, but at least in MGO3 there is more of an incentive to use CQC in modes like Bounty Hunter. MGO2 is 95% about getting M4 headshots and the *occasional* bodyslam-to-knife combo. Outside of Team Sneaking CQC is nearly useless. And that bodyslam/knife combo is easy after a lot of practice but still always a bit awkward to execute, not the best example of game design.