Third parties still can't design good controllers after 30 years of industry

How is that even possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

pckeyboard.com/
amazon.com/Zettaguard-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Xbox-Compact/dp/B0076HD2W8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477683234&sr=8-4&keywords=360 wireless receiver
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

But blocky is retro, you know? It's ironic, mixing the newest console technology with bulky, angular designs. You just don't get it.

razer can't design anything for shit. Hori has always been on top of everything however. only get their third party pads.

kys mate

only good for like 2 genres

Has anyone tried this one before?

might be cool if you have big hands. Then again its razer so I wouldn't trust it not to break.
Pic related is what im using and its great.

Why would i want a shitty xbox controler knockoff?

Have they improved in quality? I bought a third party megadrive turbo controller and another 64 one back when I was a kid and both broke after a year.

Yea, video and games.

I don't remember the brand or even if it was third party, but I had this translucent orange controller for playstation. A bit bigger and rounder than the normal dualshock. I bought it along with vagrant story and loved it.

To compete with the first party controller you either have to be cheaper or have a gimmick. Neither lend themselves to putting effort into design and production.

Not even first parties are able to either.
I just want a fitting wireless controller that "just works" without the plasticy shit everywhere.
My NES controller even works to this day, but my gamepad-thingy became broken after short time.

The only games that are legitimately competitive on consoles are fightan games and most of those people tend to opt for fight sticks. That means companies have no incentive to make their controllers perform better. Companies also don't seem convinced that increasing build quality will increase sales. As such, there isn't much that a company can do to make a controller "better" aside from making aesthetic changes and adding stupid gimmicks that normalfags love.

Do they still make controllers with built in fans these days?

Keyboards are shit for some genres.

I'm confused

I'm confused

Pft.

These days, you can compete with first party with build quality alone. Gone are the days of indestructible first party hardware, nowadays you can break a controller by dropping it on a soft carpet a few times.

Dont you understand? Its a Foot pedal

OP looks better than a dual shock with it's retarded thumbstick positions. My mate has gone through three DS4s already, so I'd wager the build quality would rival it, and it would be cheaper, too.

No demand, and of the few people who care enough to want a well built controller, don't have enough money to pay for it.

What the fuck does he do to the things? I've had the same one for years.

I just got this a few months ago for older games and emulation. It's pretty great so far.

is that a fucking coaxial cable on the bottom

What the fuck.

Putting that aside, hori does generally make good pads and fightsticks

I'm actually very interested in that last one.

Have heavily used mine for over a year now with emulation and souls games, and it still looks brand new.

Is your "friend" throwing it against the wall every time he gets fragged in battlefield of duty or something?

that last one don't look so bad

That d-pad looks amazing.

These keypads look great for Photoshop.
I need to check if they're PC compatible or something.

Worse than using USB keyboards.

Not buying one would probably put you on a watchlist

They make them for PC. There's an absolute fuckpile of them.

All of the ones I posted work on PS3, PS4, TV Vita and PC

This concept of this is quite appealing to me. I've always imagined what it would be like to have the left half of a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right, but the problem with it is the limited number buttons on the left half of the controller. This monstrosity has 5 on the shoulder which might be just be enough.

In theory, this combination of input devices would give you the best of both worlds. The precision of an analog stick, best suited for character movement, and the precision of a mouse, best suited for camera control.

I actually did my Assassin playthrough in Dragon's Dogma with my left hand on a DS4 and my right hand on a G502.

It was fucking beautiful just raping everything with perfectly aimed arrows. It almost felt like cheating, to be honest.

Oh shit, I didn't know it had all those buttons back there. This has potential too.

Can anyone think of a controller that has any combination of the following (ideally all of it)?

Alternatively I would also love a keypad with these:
this wouldn't really be for games though, it'd just be really nice for programming. I have absolutely no idea why shit like parenthesis and semicolons aren't available on the numpad.

I do this with games like Saints Row 2 so I can drive with a trigger and joystick while shooting with the mouse. The main issue is that you just can't press enough buttons since the mouse (mine at least) has far less than the face buttons, bumper, and trigger.

Ooh those buttons on the back of the controller look pretty nice, I might want to buy this or something similar. Thanks for sharing!

You should look into programmable keyboards.

If it's got a keypad and back paddles, are you using your left thumb to maneuver the keypad? Or is the right side gripped like a controller while the left side is typed on like a keyboard?

As for the keypad with all those features, most of the keypads like the ones in and have fully programmable keys.

That's actually a good idea, since the weakness of keyboard control is that you don't have analog movement.

Huh, that actually looks like it could be good. I wonder how it works with a PC though.

You would use the left thumb on a joystick OR the keypad like how on a regular controller it's on the joystick or dpad.

And yeah I'll look at some of these keypads or just a full on programmable keyboard, thanks!

Patents.

I had one of those, would not recommend.
The LR and LR2 buttons are badly spaced and thin as blades. Felt pretty shitty to hold and play despite the excellent d-pad.

The SFC one is all right though.

Why do they keep making these? Are there actually people who buy them?

Yes, usually companies keep making things that people buy. It's standard business practice

Gamepads are shitter for more genres.

The only solution is to play where you can choose between them.

Or just have both for either situation.

because the originals are usually tested by the first party and the third party controllers are just a first edition of a new controller that is drawn to look a certain way without any real thought being put into how it feels in the hand.

Those are some nice dubs but

just end yourself my man

Did they buy the company that made the Nostromo n52? I have an old ass n52 that was great for FPS games, but sucks ass for RPG, mecha, and pretty much everything else :(

please stop your existence right here, friendo

plebian

Is that a rebadged Noppoo? I still have my Choc Mini stored away somewhere.

Stick a trackpoint on that and we'll talk

they do make them. i literally got the cheapest 104 key version because i'm a poorfag

it's like $20 extra

oh and now i know why mine has a filled-in cutaway under the spacebar. so they can cut production costs and pop it out for the two mouse buttons hah

I'm officially rock hard.

It's pretty damn nice. I just played through Rabi-Ribi with it and it felt really nice on this controller.

literal cancer

Does this support N/multi-key rollover?

Peasant.

not sure, the company has a great reputation though: Unicomp.

pckeyboard.com/

Using literally ironically should be a illegal.

It's like you hate efficiency.

I bet you thing wasd is the best way to play, and I bet you have a keyboard with those shitty raised wasd keys

(checked)
Also, for people like me that still have IBM branded ThinkPads it seems like it would be natural. I wonder if Lenovo still has models with them instead of the fucking Synapse touch pad that all the shit-tier laptops have…

you releaize you're making yourself out to be a huge homo because anyone that knows anything about keyboards knows the Model M is god-tier, and that trackpoint is superior to synapse pad

My T450s still has trackpoint. I think they got a lot of hate for that one generation without it.

good to know, and yeah i can imagine the shitstorm brewing from them trying to switch to synapse pad only

might as well buy a cheap rubber dome keyboard and have it be just as efficient

I said flight stick, faggot. Pads are shit for mice in general.

Because not everyone likes the stick placement on the PS4 controller. When the Xbox controller scheme came out it felt much more natural to me.

Getting a PS3 controller to work on the PC is a bitch and I still can't get Hotline Miami to let me use both the controller and mouse.

It's not that hard. Use that xinput wrapper thing and then all games recognize it the same as a 360 controller.

I've been using IBM Model-M keyboards since 1986 you millenial NEET. There's a reason people have been making this keyboard for 30+ years.

I use a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard for programming only.

You're an actual faggot.

You forgot fighting games.

That's it. Everything else, it doesn't fucking matter the controller input. Stop acting so retarded.

Millennial here, we grew up using Model-M keyboards.

I play fightans on keyboard all the time, what are you talking about

Oh yes, I love switching to both hands then blocking with a keyboard, alt+tabbing is so intelligent.

I'll stick to my 360 controller, thanks.

I guess you like having it where you have to use the face buttons to do your actions and your bumpers and triggers to do that slow hack and slash action.
literally

It's really nice. I use it in fightans and other older games. Friend of mine who had trouble with learning inputs tried it out and was astonished at how much better he did with it, since it's easier to feel where you are on it and it's easy to roll.

It's not that third parties can't, it's that they aren't legally permitted.
It's also why microsoft is aggressively trying to sue valve for making their controller API work with ANY controller, thereby circumventing their current Monopoly over PC controllers since they can refuse X-Input handshakes for controllers they don't authorize.

On a pertinent note.
Who else is looking forward to all of Hori's controllers being usable in any game without needing to go get some chink keylogger?

I like this one, for being cheap it's a pretty decent controller. My only issue however is that the triggers are a bit too stiff.

user that's absolutely shit-tier, and this is coming from someone who used a cordless rumblepad 2 for like 7 years.

If you're talking about MotionInJoy, there have been alternatives to it for a long time now, so there's no excuse to ever have malware that phones home to China, corrupts your computer's registry, and re-installs itself after you try to uninstall it.

What makes it so bad? I admit that I'm mostly a keyboard+mouse guy, but to me it seems pretty adequate.

can confirm that both and are right,

the d pad is awesome tier, i wish other companies had the same internal design, some people complain about pressing diagonals too easy, but i think they never played a fighting game where if you miss one could lose the game, using the dpad always required a good execution not just slamming the whole thing with your fat thumb

during the time i had this gamepad i was very pleased with it's d pad and button performance aside from the triggers and analogs

that said, the plastic is really cheap and the analogs and triggers are very clunky, it survived a couple drops but in the last one it broke and a piece came off, finally the cable became super stiff after one year, to the point it broke at the part where it goes into the controller and just chopped off.

Overall i'd say it's great for emulators and fighting/platformers and it's also really cheap, but if you have more than $15 to spare then get a better one

Not him, but just from looking at the picture, other than how cheap it looks, it's probably that completely unforgivable d-pad.

Aside from the triggers, the dead zones on the analog sticks are kinda off. Good for 2D platformers and RPG's, but not really for anything else.

can we talk about analogue movement here? everyone talks about analogue movement giving you more control over how fast you are going but there are 2 problems with this
1: what fucking games do this? most games have like 3 levels of slow walk and a single full run.
2: this one is more subjective, but why would you ever not go as fast as possible?

1: what fucking games do this? most games have like 3 levels of slow walk and a single full run.
I've never realized there are games with only 3 levels of speed, in the games that I recall actually messing with analog speed it was completely gradual, what games have this 3 tiers of speed system?

Very useful when sneaking in MGS, or really any game where moving faster makes more noise.

Probably would also be easier to get near a ledge, or really any sort of positioning, especially with vehicles, since you could slowly approach it instead of tap dancing on the W and S keys.

Souls, Metal gear, Crash Bandicoot, Fable, Ratchet and clank, etc, mostly third person games

They need a controller where all joystick action is the two sticks on the front but the buttons need to be along the back finger grips

why are you using a cheap keyboard though? I have about 10 spare keyboards and that's one I've never used because it's awful. Not sure why you're advocating to buy something when any bargin bin keyboard will do better than yours.

No way, I remember as a kid there was a huge range of speeds because I remember trying to tilt the analog as little as possible to make him look like he was floating in slow motion.

wut

You are a man of refined taste.

The first one the thumbstick fell apart and he just replaced it rather than deal with it, but the other two the d pad has stopped giving feedback.

He plays fighting games on them. The ps2 and 3 controllers never gave him an issue, apparently. I use a fight stick so I don't have one.

Had another mate but a xbone controller because he heard it was better build quality. I just laughed at him.

Nintendo got you covered mate.

But at some point they have to try to anticipate or create a market for them. The numerous companies could be trying to sell off the vast quantities of unsold product.

still one of the best controllers I use. I've had it for a good long while now and haven't encountered any issues

fuck off riot games shill, nobody is using your term here

Right now i am using a Rock Candy for Xbone & PC, top tier and great price, i didn't expect this one to have such a great dpad, i have been tempted to open it to see it's internals but kinda don't wanna mess with it while it works like a charm.

I am always dissecting my controllers to understand what makes them good or terribly bad, for instance i bought a gamepad for android and the dpad was complete shit, upon doing my forensics i discovered the design of the dpad is the most ancient shit that i ve seen only on the first versions of the NES pads, 2nd pic for reference

The Logitech wireless controllers for the original Xbox were pretty good. If I could find some sort of converter to plug the controller into my PC, I would use it instead of my 360 controller.

hold on, can you use that mouse on a ps4?

That Hori pad actually has a switch (the one on the bottom that says 4 3 PC) too change it from PS4, PS3 and PC modes. So as long as its set to the right device it's plug n play. You wont even need to do what this guy said.

Wat?

iirc you can use the usb component of a micro$oft wireless mouse to hook up wireless 360 controllers to your PC. I suppose you could use any wireless mouse reciever, but the micro$oft ones come with the needed drivers.

I can't play any games like that. at least the raiju is "normal"

amazon.com/Zettaguard-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Xbox-Compact/dp/B0076HD2W8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1477683234&sr=8-4&keywords=360 wireless receiver
The Chinese still make knockoffs of the normal receiver for around $10.
But it's a pain in the ass to set up.

The first time i ever saw one it was in a store hooked up to a PC playing Crysis. I gave it a shot, it was okay. The main flaws are cost (wasting money on a peripheral means less games) and time invested to relearn where things are.

Fightan gaems

Your age is showing.

There's a way to splice controller wires if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing.

The d-pad is actually pretty great, it's like a puck on a stick and is quite comfortable to use. It feels sort of like a saturn's dpad.

The rest of the controller, however, is fucking disgusting. The buttons are shit, the triggers are shit, the sticks are shit, there's input lag out the ass, and the build quality is dollar store-tier.

He must really beat the shit out of the dpads if he's mashing them with enough force to eventually split the circuitboard. I recommend your friend builds his own Fightstick, as you can make them extremely rugged that will handle all kinds of abuse.

Its not that it has 6 buttons that's fine. The Saturn controller was one of my all time favorites and I've been shilling the Hori Fighting Commander in this thread. The thing that bugs is the order of the face buttons.

Imagine if a sega pad was layed out like this
XYB
ZAC
It's triggering my tisim more than it really should.
Also it looks like something is wrong with the sticks.

Dude, those are designed for work, I need something designed exclusively for play, cause I need to play hard.

You can also take the wireless receiver out of a broken Xbox 360 and use it on PC. Windows sees it as a generic USB HID

You'd better have something to rest your wrists on too. Carpal tunnel syndrome is no joke.

Superior solution coming through.

I posted a wrist pad for keyboards, not a mouse pad. I don't get it why it has to be so big as in your webm too - your desk space is limited after all. A superior one coming through.

You are kidding right? This is the mousepad I use (not my picture).

actually i had one of those for several years and it did nothing but cause me carpal tunnel

when you rest your wrist on the gelpad there is still a soft compression of the flexor retinaculum, over time , this compression damages the soft tissue of it, and when it regenerates it causes more pressure to the inside of it, where the median nerve is located, this pressure to the median nerve causes the pains of the carpal tunnel syndrome

There is nothing better to avoid carpal tunnel than to have a correct mouse hold (at the same height your elbow flexes about 90 degrees), even if you have to get a new desk

Keyboard palmrests however are actually a good product

It's shit m7

Are you disabled? Problems with hand motion coordination or something? I have a habit of using high acceleration settings since the DOS days.

Grrr. Sensitivity, not acceleration.

you are like baby

Some fags like to play shooters with extremely low sensitivity since it's easier for precision aim, and a setup like that would require you to pick up and reset the position of your mouse far less.

user come on.

Best controller I ever used was some ps1 knockoff that came with software to map all the buttons directly to keys and could weasel its way through x-input bullshit, lasted me a good 12 years. Sadly the company has long since gone out of business and it takes a lot of digging to find the drivers.

Mad Catz controllers were pretty good back in the day.

Games that support analog movement via joystick + mouse at the same time are practically non-existent, right?

Works great with third person action games that are console ports. Fucking amazing in Dragon's Dogma.

namae wa desu ka?

good taste

also, pic related

One of these days I'm gonna build a shitbox myself. PCB from an old 360 pad should do the trick.

Is that the gamesir 3e one? I tried that for a day and returned it the next day. 3rd party garbage.

Also wish I could get one of those rock candy ones but in the playstation format controller.

This, I have had no problems with this controller. I also use a Ibuffalo Snes for older games. But, I am always looking for new controllers to try out.

This.

they're paid to make bad controllers so the official stuff looks good by comparison.

John Bain ?
>>>/reddit/

I just want a good controller, that I can plug into my PC where I can play old and new games with out any middle man program/wireless bullshit. OH WELL

u r an idiot.

How is that even possible?

Because AAA never meant anything regarding the game's quality. It refers to how much money is spent on advertising.

Would not recommend at all.
the button mapping on it is all over the fucking shop, and cannot be remapped.

I have it.
buttons are great, analog are okay, but they're starting to get creaky and stuck after a year, d-pad is four buttons and i don't like it

Why is almost every modern gamepad a famicon clone except ironically nintendo's before switch?