How do I stop playing video games...

How do I stop playing video games? I come from partially dysfunctional family and gaming as a kid was my only escape (I especially liked high fantasy games such as World of Warcraft and Icewind Dale). But now I see that gaming gives me nothing. After graduation I got myself a great gaming rig and spent all 2017 playing video games. Yesterday I looked at it and felt good about it, but at the same time I realized that time is basically wasted, I couldve learned so much, I couldve done so much, instead I started to having back pains from sitting on my ass 17 hours a day.

How do I do it? I am afraid since its the only thing that I really liked in my life. I still feel the inner rush and warmth when thinking "Man, I should play XYZ!"

You aren't the only one, same here. I actually noticed that I can get so much done in such a short time when there is no PC around. Also smartphones are absolute cancer.
Anyway, same exact problem, except that I am still studying, but at a minimum pace while still passing everything but spending most of my time on the PC playing vidya, even though the thing I'm studying supposedly takes a lot of time.

There's no real answer to that. All you'll find is generic answers for the most part, unless you get very lucky and an extra insightful user mentions something that causes a realization of sorts within you.

You shouldn't of made a thread for this, it should be put into the 'questions that deserve there own thread' thread.

Been there, done that.
Embrace the initial boredom that comes after a sudden videogame stop. Find your passion that will be fruitful in the long run and let it consume you.

So in the end, it is just the exact same process, but just switching lanes onto another subject to subject yourself into?

Start playing e-sports games, if you get good at them you can make quite a bit of money, or maybe start streaming yourself playing games

Nice dubs. Play games that don't suck, or design your own. It's not ultimately a timewaster provided you understand the purpose of games and gaming.

If you don't know this much, you need to git gud, and wean yourself off of modern day "vidya" crap.

sage goes in all fields because this is a shit thread.

Dude, I'm 25. Way too old for esports and streaming

There is an answer, provided you don't have room temperature IQ.

They're entertaining training aids in one form, but can be altered to become interactive stories in another. The point in the end is for one end to design(aka lead), others to play(or follow to the best of their ability). The more they hone both, the better people as a whole will be. Sadly, most people play poorly designed crap with a tiny skill cap, and don't become more than a casual.

The simple answer is OP, you don't have to stop playing video games, only less. It's like a smoking addiction, cutting cold turkey just causes too much crashing through withdrawal so you need to ween off it a little at a time with nicotine patches for example. But remember, in the end video games is just another form of entertainment, it's completely normal just don't be the guys who spend half a day on them unless you're a teenager with that amount of free time. As an adult, there's no excuse. So in short, gradually play video games less and less then take up a new hobby or something more you can commit your life to that is more rewarding than video games, which is just pointless in the end because while you're leveling up your craft or doing jobs in a game which will reward you nothing in life you could do craft and jobs in life and get rewarded for real. Last thing to remember about video games, modern men are addicted to it because they've lost their purposes in life in postmodern society so they do things in video games that they're meant and supposed to do in real life. If you really wanted what you seek, what all men seek, you would commit your life to destroying postmodern society and leftists. Restore the natural order, user.

Become a wizard, practice games as "active" meditation. Do not play multiplayer, especially competitive games, they will drain you. Your

I have dealt with this. What ended up replacing the addiction for me was the election, and devoting myself to fighting the zog media machine. I have a full time job and all that, but spend my off-time creating images, reading here and things suggested here, growing social media accounts and trying to wake up as many other people as possible. I need to do more lifting and heavy reading, but the dopamine packets harvested from video games now come in the form of soc med notifs, expanding my knowledge, and happenings. I am not living ideally or in full health yet, but this is an improvement over vidya.

..well, what is it then?

I could've worded my sentance better. Instead of no 'real' answer I should've said no 'one' answer.

Keep playing. The urge vanishes on its own and you have zero interest in new games.
I burned out 2 years, played one game and dropped it after 90 hours.

I just need to cut my Holla Forums addiction and I'm set. This site is all I have and I justify my addiction because it teaches me new things and acts as a news feed. Although I learn less now self improvement threads are banned.

Would this count?

brb killing myself

Just stop lmao. It's literally that simple. That's how I quit fapping.

How do I start playing games though? I wish I could enjoy them like I used to.

Hey OP
I set aside blocks of time to game like five hours on a lazy day, but i used to game much more. I dowloaded duolingo to my phone and learnt Spanish French and im dabling in Chinese. I also hung out on /fit/ and started working out and im learning woodworking skills. These things would have not been possible as my time would have been spent gaming.
I still like games but i also like junk food and cake but know i cant eat it all the time. Good luck user. I believe in you.

kill yourself and you will never play video games again

How would you stop going to a gym?
It's the same process.

The user did give the answer. Re-read it.
TL;DR
vidya is a useful simulation tool for training & honing skills, but is poorly utilized. Thus there is no need to stop playing, just play more useful games, a speed reading game, or touch typing games, etc.

user you should continue playing jidya games and stop sliding threads.

I got bored of vidya, I can't stand to play for more than an hour or so, if that. I spent my whole youth playing and there's no more good games coming out so I'm not missing anything from not playing nor gaining anything from playing. Isn't that what people on Holla Forums complain about all the time- nothing is fun anymore?

You need to find yourself something else to do with your free time. Lift weights, do martial arts, head to the range and practice, read books, find some social gathering place and chat up some girls, go camping or hunting or fishing, tend a garden, play a musical instrument or sing, listen to music (especially classical music that required undivided attention), make friends and hang out with the friends, draw or do some other form of visual artwork, learn another language, etc.

Substitute it with DIY hobbies like art or firearms.

What helped me was to find better things to do. Games are fun, but not 17h a day. I'd say you start watching Jordan Peterson, start with Joe Rogan podcast, his ideas helped me a lot. Look him up, he will teach you how to do it better than a pol comment.

You're in no position to give advice. Holy shit.
If we are recommending people, Cicero, Tacitus, etc. Modern people aren't worth a damn.

Pretty much. Holla Forums is a community trapped in limbo. The industry left them behind long ago, but many fans can't move on.

Everything in moderation you jackass

This is the best answer in the thread. You'll also find over time that you just won't care about videogames anymore. I'm at a point in my life where I'll be sitting down and playing a game on a day off and the thought will cross my mind "why can't I just go back to work and make some more money". It's weird how your priorities will change over time. I have all of this Christmas week off of work (that was corporates decision, not mine), today will mark my fourth day away and I'm already tired of being home.

My suggestion is cut your video game time in half and use the time you're not playing to pick up a second more frutiful hobby like learning an instrument or painting or reading, whatever and eventually you'll learn to like your new hobby over gaming.

Gaming is an escape from awareness. Therefore if you practice awareness your need for vidya will fade. It may not totally disapear, the mind and soul need a break from time to time and this is healthy.

(1) Meditate for 15 minutes morning and evening.
(2) before opening your computer take 10 slow deep breaths
(3) before playing a video games take 10 slow deep breaths
(4) if at any point while you are playing you suddenly realize that you're not having fun immediately save, quit, and go to twenty pushups. The pushups are to force you out of vegetative state and get you away from the computer.

Follow these rules and you can play as many video games as you want. However, you won't want to play as many.

find a better hobby

Good luck with that though, the reward system is massively exploited by videogames, like nothing else can

It will have to be a mixture of 'having fun' with 'this is profitable enough to do as a living' to actually replace videogames, since the fun/hour of videogames can easily surpass any job

Why the bumblock? I got tired myself and instead of playing games and doing nothing i decided to design my wn games and do something of my life.

And yes, streaming is a pipedream "job" only avaiable to cancerous millenials.

Sounds like a QTDDTOT.

Get a physical hobby even if you don't think you're a practical guy. You'd be surprised at how much you can surprise yourself. Grew up similar and never knew I had a knack for fixing engines and building models. Just give things a go you may not think you're good at. Try carpentry, or exercise or something… The biggest step you have to take is to actually step out of your comfort zone. Only once you do that, will you be able to tell whether something is for you or not.