Space Thread: Space Elevator Edition

Why don't games have working space elevators, Holla Forums? Don't devs know that it is the most economical method to get into orbit?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1N8j9_pu_hw#t=1h51m30s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength
moddb.com/mods/yuuzhan-vong-at-war
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VY_Canis_Majoris
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse
niac.usra.edu/files/library/meetings/annual/jun02/521Edwards.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_(spacecraft)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_radius
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity
nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public
inara.cz/galaxy-playerfactions
watchcartoononline.com/anime/star-wars-rebels
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Mandate?

Because no one wants to sit in orbit like a faggot when they could be out in space doing space things

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

just make them unrealistically fast, its a vidya game silly

And turn into paste on the floor or ceiling? No thank you. I still need a reason to why I'd be in a elevator or whatever that elevator leads to as opposed to anywhere else in space.

Then what's the point of the elevator being there dummy?

I need the hottest alien picture for my aurora game. No nudity, but hot as hell.

Hey fuck you buddy that'd be COMFY.

But I don't want to be a space merchant. I want to be out purging ayys and melting their corpses into BioFuel for some organic reactor thingamajig.

And they ayys will be paying for it

Megaman X8 had a Space Elevator

space elevators are a meme, even with a lunar helium-3 mining operation they'd still not be worth it

I hate you

Fuck you dad you're not the boss of me

okay.

I'm not saying it should be instant, that would ruin the comfy aspect.

Why would I need to use an elevator if the reactor is on my ship? Why would I share? My reactor will always be hungry and the need to exterminate xenos will be eternal

Leave the alien hunting to more responsible parties, it's almost like you don't want
MAXIMUM EXPLOITATION
let alone cool-ass space elevators

Fuck off, he's mine.

I hope you explode during reentry

You can have him

I'm in love with how fucking great and menacing sounding the capital ships warp in on elite dangerous, but I have no idea about other games with menacing capital ship warp-ins
Any suggestions?

Trump calls for return to space exploration

youtube.com/watch?v=1N8j9_pu_hw#t=1h51m30s

Space elevators are confined to one point on a planet. Spaceships can carry you anywhere you need to go. Which is kind of important if you run out of ayys to purge in one location, so you can go to another! And then go to another, and another.

The Titans in Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion have a dramatic shockwave effect when they enter a planet's gravity well. You only get one per player though

Not the most economical if energy is cheap and you can blast through a system faster then light after ascending to just 2km above the surface of a planet.

They are great until they fall.

it triggers my autism every time I do a frameshift jump in that game. What really triggers my autism though is that even if you are pretty poorly aligned just before jump, you won't miss your target

People already found ancient ayyy sites. Goddamn, I haven't even started ED since the patch hit.

From what I heard Capital Ships use the old warp jumps that takes them through something called the Witchspace and they can get lost and end up somewhere else or get interdicted by thargoids. They also can't supercruise. I'm sure the new frameshidt drives are made for you not to get lost and miss your target.

Go away brabenshill, your game sucks and the world knows it.

If only the actual gameplay was a well developed as the lore, the game might be more than the steaming pile of horse shit it actually is.

Old witchspace which cap ships use is unreliable and you need to actually plan out your jump before hand, would think the cap ships have a dedicated officer to ensure they don't get lost. Jacques did a long range jump solo and he got messed up pretty bad.

New witchspace is mostly automated and jumps to stars to greatly improve reliability, they combine your low wake drive together in witchspace to make a jump through witchspace take a lot less then if you flew through it normally (depending on your internet connection ofc).

Has anyone figured out what the ayy things do yet?

Thargoids have been in hiding for several years now, the new witchspace is rumored to have come around to allow for a Thargoid happening mid jump, we have to wait and see.

Some Rebel Galaxy Music

Are there any games that allow you to get properly spaced?

Isn't that the scam game? Why are you fags posting that shit here

Leave and never return.

Are there any comfy 3d space games that's not elite dangerous?

I wanna be a space trucker or some shit.

These stupid fuckers lost a ship against my unarmed, slow as fuck survey ships. They tried to ram a ship 80x its size and expected to take it out.

Your ship now automatically aligns in 2.2. Either way though, with low and high waking, your ship isn't moving. You're either shifting space around you or shifting space so much that you tear a hole to witchspace. So the direction you're point doesn't necessarily have to be the direct you're shifting space in.

With the older drives you also don't have to drop out next to a star when traveling between systems. Which is good since they don't have the ability to supercruise.

When are we going to see muti-crew and a proper player interactions in elite dangerous??

Multi crew is supposed to be the next update 2.3, we have a mystery update called 2.4 which is supposed to end the season before 3.0. It was all supposed to be done in a year but it's looking like season 2 will crossover through 2017.

Your first time in the Space Thread? We've been discussing ED for weeks/months.

They are either frontier employees or paid shills.

I found the jihads of space.

You can already have multicrew. And can type while jumping IE loading screens.

With ship launched fighters you can have your retarded AI joyride in your ship while you pilot the fighter or the other way around. They also get a cut of your earnings depending on their rank. Also, maybe in a decade or so we will have our own system, shit would be neat.

That would be pretty awesome to see player controlled systems trade lane claims.

Mass Effect 2 and that new shitty CoD. Good games? None that I know of

The only thing better than humanity building a space elevator, would be the inevitable raghead crashing a plane into the tether causing the entire fucking thing to snap and come screaming back down to earth, chopping cities in half as the cord wraps around the Earth three times before finally stopping.

So when you multicrew with another player, what does he do? Control a turret?

Won't know tell 2.3. They better not split bounties between crews like they do with wings, or player crews will be even rarer than player wings are now.

They will, to make sure the forumdads don't get triggered by multiplayer being good.

Some user already sent a request for our own minor faction and we already chose which 3 systems but who know how fucking long it takes for fdevs to approve and actually put our faction in game.

I'm not even sure how it's gonna work as of now you can only get npcs.

ED was and continues to be a scam. enjoy paying more money for every new feature and never getting the offline play they promised.

Since I don't think Electrosphere has any elevators, I think it's safe to assume it's destroyed during the story either at the hands of the doomsday superweapon or it being the superweapon

The only three features you don't get by paying the second season is

You're not missing much if you don't want to pay for the second season.

there was this phone game a la star trek that humble bundle sold, similar with FTL, if your ship got hit hard enough, it get a hole and your qt crew would get sucked into space, i wonder if they added more missions, it was ok, for a phone game.

from concept art from the recent art book and the current placement of seats in large ships it'll be similar to SC current multi crew with other crew members controlling power to shields and systems. Also with the telepresense we could get player controller turrets and perhaps gimballed weapons as well as the fighters ofc being controlled by players in your crew rather then the dumbass ai.

>making your tether out of something easily snappable by something that can't melt steel beams

Even in Gardens of Paradise they made it out of exotic diamond spiderweb shit that would just as soon cut said raghead plane in half as it would snap.

That's actually be effective if not batshit crazy over the top.

Never understood why a freighter needs that many crew.

That's the bridge of a cutter.

He built a space elevator 1/3 the way to the moon, the madman! Send my sides back down, 'cause they're in orbit!

The Moon would likely do a fuckload more damage if it just slams into the planet again. But that would probably make it more interesting to watch

I know, I have one. Most people use it as a trader.

If you made a space elevator wouldn't you design it in the case of a snap to release at the base of the tether sending it away from earth rather then towards it?

Would be a bit dumb to not design failsafes on something that big and possible dangerous

Does it actually hold more then a type 9? Pretty sure it doesn't at the cost of speed and shields as it is supposed to be a multirole rather then a dedicated trader.

Probably not as good in a firefight as a corvette or FDL but it still has a chance.

That's highly progressive of you FD.

Geosynchronous orbit is ~35,000km, circumference of Earth at equator is ~40,000, so I guess it would only wrap around once and change, yeah. It'd still be a pretty awesome sight to behold.

Wouldn't it be easier to just ban the muslims?

It holds 728 tons with shields. Over 200 tons more than the T-9. It's the end game trader ship.

Sure, you'd design it that way. But the terrorists would tape it down for sure.

This is clearly the best option.

Did someone say DEUS VULT?

Dubs don't lie.

I was a Byzantine all along!

someone has to stop them before they kill the qt aliens.

they actually arent and are impossible using our current materials. orbital rings however, aren;t. See video.

All the "women" in this game, going by the portraits, are fugly.

Something like this?

Sounds realistic to me. The only women who can compete with men in the military are those that are very man-ish.

All hail Emperor Trump!

B.t.w - to you fags playing Starmade.
If you can't/won't help me with building my battleship, at least set up the fabricators to produce advanced white armor.
I have too fucking little time to play this, and then I end up spending half of that time just fabricating.
I want to finish White Power (yes, that's the ships name), and fly it around

But that's not a successful warp jump, that's just a step above the worst case scenario of a Gellar field failure. A successful warp jump would be them arriving at their destination, relatively on time and with a minimum of crew losses.

You all seem like pretty cool dudes, stay away from the Alien ruins tomorrow.

All the NPCs look ugly right now. I think they are supposed to overhaul them when the character creator launches in 2.3.

there are several space based scam games

too bad those things float above planets, you could use them for bombing runs otherwise.

Truly, a word that invites disastrous decisions.

2.2 Mines are now effected by gravity of planets. Checked it myself this evening.

Bomber is go.

Well the choice is if it does fail killing billions or if it does fail possibly killing billions.
Take you pick

oh boi

Is Between the Ashes for Freespace 2 supposed to be so hard? I'm on the 2nd mission and it's like protect this cargo ship and then the cargo ship gets destroyed in a minute before I can even get to it and I fail the mission.

Then what would you use?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength
What is strong enough and plentiful enough?

Have you used the afterburner to reach it faster?

The mod throws new objectives at you so fast you can't even finish what you're dealing with before another objective comes

bump

Only a few months late and less than a dozen people eaten by demons would hardly be grimdark though.

bought the anaconda a few days ago
today I used the debug camera to look at it while I was docked
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?
there's clearly armor plating missing
that fucking jew at Hennen Orbital in Epsilon Ceti is probably laughing his ass off right bout now

Oh wait does elite dangerous have multiplayer?

It has since release, the devs have yet to make full use of it though.
At least the community is pretty inventive for now.

It also uses the worst possible combination of a dedicated server combined with peer to peer between players, every peer to peer connection goes through Fdev's servers so the couple of times players have managed 100~ player instances it's murdered the servers as it has to process 10000 connections. Fdev are gonna have to spend some time to fix it as it is even more buggy then that half the time.

There is a nice campaign out there called Flames of War. I do recommend it if you can find it.

First chapter of that campaign takes place during FS2. Second one is 30-ish years after.
Third part is not finished.

I was actually looking for more games that lean to the arcade side of things instead of simulations like freelancer, people recommended me starpoint gemini and parkan2 but starpoint gemini is more RPG and management that anything else and parkar 2 is just bad.
I know freespace is good too, but i've yet to set openfreespace port to play it.

Anyother game that plays like ace combat in space that you anons know about?

Wing Commander and the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games.

That would be like a mega 9/11.

That's a damn good picture buddy.

I do believe that in Halo 5 there is a part of mission where you're on a space elevator that's being attacked in transit.

I've never wanted to fuck an acid-blooded alien before now.

All xenos must die instantly upon discovery. I’m just talking about real women.

who was in the wrong in webm?

I'd rather find a ferocious, hot-tempered woman and have her continue to be that way, channeling it into ravishing me frequently.

Departers get the right of way. Space has unlimited parking spaces, space stations have only a few.

Strike Suit Zero if you want to blow up shit in a ship that can transform into a mecha
Eterium if you are starving for combat missions and would play ANYTHING, its not bad, its just some devs that wanted to make a wing commander game.

are you a woman?
you are!

The armor plating for the huge ships like the Anaconda can get up to 350 Million for Reactive. I never get them for the huge ships, since once your shields go down you're either going to die instantly or have plenty of time to escape. They don't actually change the appearance of the ship though.

Well in the book, they used a "ribbon" of this material that they developed in a zero-g factory that had the right tensile strength and compression qualities. Humans also had more or less control over the weather so a lot of the problems of natural disasters were out of the equation.

The grimdark part is what happens when they leave the warp.

Yeah, yeah, it has terrible voice acting but the gameplay makes up for it. It's a real good game if you give it the time but not it's not an arcade game by anychance, but you do get too own planets, steal ships, pirate, trade and build your own base.

Freelancer plays kinda like ace combat in space, There are several mods for it too and you can even get online with a pirated version.

Everspace

40k, where even the regular interstellar trade between planets is grimdark

what is that game? cant find shit about it

Parkan 2. A slav game with terrible voice acting, but it's part of the slav charm. It does what no mans buy couldn't do.

We need more of this. Too much of it these days is 2D side scrollers or turned base card games.

nice meme

Actually it's the larger ship that has right of way. You must also remeber to fly on the green side too.

Flying through the mail slot with my Beluga is a real challenge, especially when NPC Belugas fly over the middle line. Fuck them.

da fuck? this shit has everything, if it had muliplayer it would be shekels citizen made by slavs.
So what is wrong with it?

Bad voice acting and the features were poorly executed. They tried to jam pack all kinds of neat features together but it didn't work out as they planned.

But you really got to play it and see for yourself.

been flying one too, tight fit.

You guys have any good loadouts for a beluga? Think of getting one to make a trip to jaques

You actually going to be carrying any passengers?

Orca is a better VIP passenger ship, and the Conda is a better normal passenger ship. I'm only flying my Beluga because I have 4 billion in assets and I don't give a fuck anymore.

I was intending to pirate in the Beluga but ran into a slight snag. As soon as I upgraded my FSD range the ship suddenly decided that this was too much heat and started jumping to 80-90% heat during jumps to the next system. Shame too because I rather like the supercruise flight profile and the huge ass fueltank can go over 300ly's without refueling. Such potential wasted. At least the new PA mods are awesome.

Bombing run was successful, despite instancing. 1 combatlogger, 1 ship kill, 1 srv kill. Not the best results but some other guys had already spooked players at the alien temple site.

Any Star Wars mods that add the Hutt Fleet's ships into games? I always liked their ship designs but they seem ignored by the modding community.

I fly it cause it's a cheap large ship compared to the others (hull is only 80mill) and I love flying a boeing cruise liner. It really is only good for bulk passenger missions and cargo though. It has a very low jump range cause of it's mass and the swimming pool doesn't help.
You could probably get one going for exploration it'll just be very stripped down.

It gets hot with just a class 6 fsd, have yet to drop the 50mill on the rank 7. Have you tried to engineer it a cooler powerplant?

I just realized making this webm that the sun is still shining on my ship as the station rotates even though I'm in the hanger

Funny thing was I went overcharged powerplant first, had no issues. But the FSD change just fucked it up. I talked to a friend and they had the same issue with just the FSD. I'd try efficient powerplant but frankly I need that power to run things like weapons, collectors, hatchbreakers. I think it might be a bug as the courier release had a issue with shit heat management on it's release. I really want to make that ship work so I'm going back to the drawing board with it. I'll figure out something if it doesn't look like Frontier intends to fix it.

Odd…never heard of Parkan 2

Infinite Space on DS uses space elevators. Granted it's menu only, to take you to planet-side stores and whatnot, but they're in there.

I've always flown a Keelback myself, but now that I have the fighter bay this thing works REALLY well.

Is that elite dangerous the webm ? i wanna play the game now, i always though there was only one ship. I guess i have to follow the updates of the game, and that ship looks very comfy.

there's a dozen or so ships in ED, some are locked behind faction ranks (reputation basically)

Making webms of the last shekel citizen around verse vid on the planet engine stuff.

If you do consider it wait till the latest update has settled a bit, so many bugs haven't been picked up in the beta for it. Also horizons doesn't really get you much besides planet landings so I would recommend just getting the base game first. Pic is all the ships except the Beluga and fighters.

The Yuuzhan Vong mod for Empire at War:FoC that is currently still being developed has the Hutts as a faction.

moddb.com/mods/yuuzhan-vong-at-war

This game had so much potential and it turned out so terribly.

Time for you to kill yourself.

I know it's heresy
BUT IT'S CUTE

Guys, i think my space empire might be ruled by a shape shifting xeno.

I have no tangible proof of it, but something just isn't right.

That's some good genes he got there, not even wrinkle.

there's another version of this webm showing the ship size comparison but with a slightly lower quality

Hmm?
Now what is this?

Oh…
OH!
BY THE EMPEROR!

So, they are just going to have the same 20-30 mountains spread on every planet with mountains?
Isn't that just going to make every instance of a certain type of terrain seem like every other instance of the same type before long?
This will just give an "infinitely explorable universe" where everything looks the same. That description sounds strangely familiar. Where have I heard of a game like that before I wonder…

The fucking madmen. Though I wonder if they could make one for Sins or allow someone to use their assets for a Sins version since all they seem to have a spacecraft done right now.

I'd prefer for them to just finish a space only prototype or skirmish mode because I like some of the space part of Empire at War better than Sins like actual 3 Dimensional fighting and shields being worth a damn if you don't have a weapon to pierce it

This DLC content or just part of the latest update?

Where the fuck is the Barbarossa Imperium?
Every time I log on, I'm the only one there.

What would be stronger than a bundle of monomolecular graphene fibers?

monomolecular graphene fibers lvl 2?

Yeah, I wanted to do some passenger missions, I figured the Beluga would get me more dosh.

They have more than just the ships done, there's new particle effects and they are changing some game mechanics as well.

(checked)
I take it back, I think I will wait for the mod in Empire at War. And I gotta find a torrent since I can't use the discs anymore

And was that ship that looked like a Venator with wings?

Fuck a ringed star. I've still yet to run into one.

Victory II frigate, as seen in Battlefront II

That was a Victory? I don't remember the superstructure/bridge section looking so big. Maybe it was scaled up for the sake of visibility. Everything else checks out though

I've had this happen to me as well. Had an empress that outlived 4 successors.

Most people hate waiting on an elevator already. I think the wait for an elevator that size would be a tad too long for them.

While there are ringed stars in ED, that image isn't one of them.

Correct. That's LHS 6427. It has two ringed high metal worlds that orbit each other right next to the star.

I'll never under why they named them Victory II when there's already the VicStar II

DLC content.
We got giant alien creatures, ancient dreadnoughts and extra-dimensional horrors in it.

THIS STAR IS FUCKING INSANE IN IT'S SIZE

So right after visiting VY Canis Majoris I visited the neutron star nearby to check out and get a FSD boost. First of all due to how dangerous neutron stars can be it's nerve wracking but then to fly into the jet to get the FSD boost? you can't control your ship and you start to wonder if it's going to spin you around and make you head too close to the neutron star. I got extremely tense from that. I'm going to have to get a shitty Sidewinder and practice doing that until I'm comfortable. On the plus side it shaved 137 LY off my trip back to the bubble.

Halo 2, 3, and ODST has one as well.

It's in the Skyline in New mombasa in Halo 2, and it gets damaged when Regret's Assault Carrier jumps out of the city.

In ODST (which takes place right after that when the perspective in 2 goes other places), you fight through new mombassa in the now fucked over city and you see the elevator collapse at one point

then in halo 3 when MC/the artbier return to earth in africa you see the remnants of the elevator scattered all across the landscape (pic related)

There was the Space elevator scene in Halo: Forward Unto Dawn as well where the Covies blow it up and you watch as it twists and bends back down to the surface and people and debris start raining down on all the cadets.

Yes but Halo: FuD is shit

The vong are shit…

You are wrong. FuD Is the only good original thing to come out of 343i.

specifically the working Warthog…

Bonus points for the elevator having traveled up into the upper atmosphere before it got hit. So it took over a minute for the people to hit the ground

Nightfall was a million times worse. And they managed to get a chopped down prop of the Danube Runabout from Deep Space 9 and put that in that piece of shit

Let's not forget "POWER DOWN YOUR SHOULDER PADS CUZ THE HUNTER WORMS SMELL TECHNOLOGY ESPECIALLY GUNPOWDER RIFLES AND BLINKY SHOULDER PADS"

Took an hour to encode. Fuck I hate making long webms. Started ~100k LS out.

What are the chances I get to discover some systems on my way to jaques?

I'm planning my route but can't tell if someone has passed through them yet.

if you are using the route planner at all or even third party route planners its going to be like 98% explored already. honestly if you want to find unexplored shit I'd go above or below the galactic plane and then angle back in to Jaques

You'll find loads of shit
at least I did when I bothered scanning more than just the star I was refueling at

Bigger than Betelgeuse?

I was thinking just going outer. Like a giant U, May take longer but I want too discover shit. Also going in my brand new beluga with a sad 25 ly range and overheating issues.

Gonna be good.

yes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betelgeuse

without looking up real life measurements. The game drops you into Betelgeuse at a range of around 2000 LS iirc while when you enter VY Canis Majoris you are dropped in 5800 LS away. All this game needs now is UY Scuti. Though I heard rumors there's a neutron star where it's supposed to be.

Found a current ship size image

Nice, wish I had a vr headset, those with have said the sense of scale is done perfectly with it.

Go bug a dev on twitter about it and you might get lucky, sounds like the procedural gen is filling it in.

The data they used at the time didn't have Scuti as a Hypergiant so it was never included. it's why Canis Majoris is the only Hypergiant in the game as I recall.

According to its Wikipedia page, Scuti simply doesn't have enough luminosity to be a hypergiant, despite its photosphere being bigger than a puny little thing like Canis Majoris.

Why do people keep bring that up? it's impossible to make you can't fight gravity, you want an easy way into space then invest in commercial space flights.

The space elevator would be in geostationary orbit around the planet. Fighting gravity is not what makes it impossible at the moment. We don't have a material that can withstand the tensile force of that would be inflicted upon the structure. Additionally, the resulting damage possible as a consequence of a failure could be catastrophic, though, building it somewhere in the Pacific would mitigate a lot of that risk.

Also powering and the operation of the elevator itself is also poses a significant engineering challenge.

A mass driver is where its at, it just needs to be long enough to allow for an acceptable amount of G force when accelerating

only shit I've seen of ED in VR is people saying that the cockpit dashboard is fucking huge, like they could lie on top of it stretched out, in smaller single seat cockpits which is completely fucking off
maybe it was all the same guy checking different ships out, but it was repeated that the radar was huge and the dashboard was like a dining table.
which makes me believe the guy had his headset calibrated wrong, he also couldn't "touch" or reach things that he should've been able to when you look around the cockpit

Because a space elevator would require far less energy to bring shit into space than chemical rockets could ever dream of. This makes it far cheaper to build ships and infrastructure in space aswell as making it cheaper to go from surface to space than it would be to fly to the other side of the country.
Its not even like we don't have materials that are tough enough. We can already make Nanotubes. All we need to do is refine the tech until we can produce enough for the elevator. Its the same problem fusion reactors have now. We aren't trying new ways of making nuclear fusion so much as refining the tech we have until becomes a viable way to produce power.

What you are saying is the same as the people who looked at the Wright Brothers and saying the exact same thing. You can't fight gravity, no way that silly heavier than air nonsense will ever replace trusty old hot air balloons and those high tech blimps herr Zeppelin is working on.

I don't really like the ships from star wars, also all shots sound you're pressing a ketchup bottle very hard when there is just a little bit left in it, but it seems i will have to deal with it if i want my arcade starship fix.

Oh yeah, i always forget about strike suit zero.
Also, eterium doesn't look that bad, is kinda of exactly what i want, just mission based, except for the ketchup sounds of the weapons (at least in the trailer)

never heard of everspace, and it just released last month, the roguelike in the description kinda worries me that is one of those "die thousands of times before you start to understand what the fuck you need to do and then play exactly like how the devs intended" games

The nano-tubes we can currently make don't have a strong enough tensile strength. Not say they never will though.

Don't forget to offset the cost of the space elevator against any potential savings. Something like that sure as shit wont be cheap. It might save you money someday but it is going to take a lot to work that cost off.

You realize that that is an actual star, right?

niac.usra.edu/files/library/meetings/annual/jun02/521Edwards.pdf
Its an old projection of course, but it does suggest as little as 6 billion dollars, for reducing the cost of launching material into space by an order of around 500 times.
The cheapest conventional suggestion for bulk cargo into orbit, is the Skylon that promises prices of as little as 3000$ per kg, for low to medium orbits, not all the way out to a Geo orbit like the elevator.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon_(spacecraft)
The projected cost of these two projects where, according to wiki, 20 billion for the elevator and 15 billion for the Skylon.

Eric Dubay debunked heliocentrism.

The earth is not a ball.
Space does not exist.

Just a friendly reminder.

There's controversy about whether Canis Majoris is a Hypergiant as well but I like to believe.

Yes user I realize that's an actual star. Just like I realize that in Elite Dangerous almost all the stars are real because they were created from the star catalogues

For the initial costs. What year was this anyway? Add inflation to his projection then account for the inflation across the ten year construction period since you aren't going to be buying everything at once. In the last ten years we have seen about 19% inflation just for comparison. Then don't forget about our best friends in government that are going to run your project into the ground so they can fill their pockets like they do with every major project like this.

Also I find it really hard to believe that a space elevator is going to cost about as much as some projections for Trumps wall.

Do you have room for much else when a fighter bay is installed? I was thinking of getting a keelback just to mess around with the new fighters.

*On a side note, I like that the star you're jumping to now shows and gets bigger as you get closer.

Yes, it shows. But it does not get bigger from my experience.

It definitely depends on what type of star it is. If you are jumping at a Neutron it starts out super tiny but it gets really bright at the end.

I can't speak to it's handling but it could run a decent enough shield+battery, and still have a fuelscoop, interdictor, or whatever else you want on it. I've always wanted to buy a keelback, just never got around to it.

I like that it shows the star when jumping, but I get triggered that it isn't centered on your "crosshair" in some ships when using mouse and keyboard controls
like in the anaconda for example, it's almost halfway between the that thing on the nose of the ship and the crosshairs

I use an Xbox controller while playing and have the mouse dot in the middle as a guide. The game auto centers the star perfectly to the center now.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_radius

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_law_of_universal_gravitation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_relativity

Sounds good.

*I was also at Wang Ring just the other day.

Confirmed for never having watched Eric Dubay's scientific videos proving a flat earth.

Stay in la-la fantasy land, globehead.

in what ship?
I think it did it in my Python but not in my Anaconda as I mentioned earlier
I'll make a webm soon if that's still the case

I never noticed issues on either my Python or Asp

I never really thought about it, but you're right about the Rebel laser sounds, lol. I actually like them, though. Maybe you could try TIE Fighter instead? Imperial lasers sound different and might annoy you less. If not, you might still like Wing Commander. There's also Wing Commander Saga, a standalone Wing Commander total conversion for Freespace.

Didn't have any issue in my Conda, Vette, Cutter, FDL, Courier, or Beluga.

Heres your other (you), at least you posted twice.

you can see it pretty clearly in the first jump
the ship auto aligns to the star at the bigging of the jump animation, then the star the ship aligned to fades out and the star I'm jumping to fades in below it

I also somehow didn't see the Maia system in the sidepanel when jumping back, but it did the same thing there aswell

Oh oh. You mean when you come out of warp. I dunno man.

So I'm about to use a Neutron highway (more or less) to cut my travel time back to the bubble. Wish me luck

no, when going into warp
the first jump clearly shows the star fading out and then fading in again slightly lower

OH. Maybe chalk it up to your eyes adjusting? I dunno

Which one of you glorious bastards was this?

FUCK. Dude flying through the Neutron Star jets is insanity. You lose almost all control. And DO NOT enter from the end of the jet (heading towards the Neutron star) it won't let you out without a fight.

nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/#public

I can be a little more sympathetic if someone is using exploits or maybe hunting noobs, though I still think both things are fine, but this is just stupid.

According to the picture, that structure on earth must be hundreds of miles big.

you think that thing won't have a small army around?

It's funny, if you know you're about to be interdicted by an npc or player if you emergancy drop before they interdict you, you can guaranteed high wake out of the system before they can turn around to drop into your wake.

So I'm back in the bubble Neutron stars cut the travel time down to about 1 hour 30 minutes from a over 2 hour 30 minute trip

I updated my Oculus runtime and got the DK2 working with elite again. Tried a CV1 yesterday and it was a lot better than the DK2, but still had a bit of readability problems.

Anyone got a good location for picking up Imperial Navy ranks? I'm pretty high ranked for Federation just by stacking skimmer missions, but I can't find anywhere to easily grind imperial rank.

It definitely grows, but not by much over the course of the jump, and in the last second or so of the process it stops growing and is replaced by the actual star.

Even if they manage to interdict you, if you submit you're pretty much guaranteed to be able to high wake away. Mass locking doesn't effect high waking. Maybe his shields were down, but who doesn't wait for their shields to regen before supercruising through a player infested area?

The guy is going for weak targets coming from a combat zone, easily annihilated before they can high wake out.

What ship that you would be flying in a combat zone is going to be annihilated in the 10 seconds it takes to high wake?
I can see maybe being destroyed that quick if there's a wing of guys on you, but from the sound of it, it was only one guy.

A ship that hasn't been through the engineer grindwall vs one that has.

Is there really that much of a disparity with the engineer shit? I haven't played since before it was added. Glad I'm not.

Exactly, guy picking things off is probably running a modded fdl and since his targets all have shit armor left he can focus on weapons to take out shields. Even easier if they're flying any ship smaller then a vulture.

Yeah, I guess you're right about that.

Engineers ruined a lot of aspects of the game. None, of the ships base states mater as much. Its ruined a lot of the PvP, everyone runs basically the same setup now. It destroyed powerplay, what little life it even had. And its made the game an even bigger grind.

Engineers for weapons was a mistake. Should have just been things like FSD upgrades and the like.

Sheeeit. Well I'm still too booty blasted about one fighter only to play anyway so I guess it doesn't really matter. I was seriously looking forward to that shit since they announced it.

You basically can't beat an engineered ship if yours isn't and skill levels are even remotely similar.

And engineers is a shitton of grind. So basically ED PvP has the shittiest MMO style garbage going on.

What are your guys favorite PvE Courier weapons? Pulses are exceptionally weak and MC's run too hot.

any space vidya with qt monstergirls or monsterboys?

Multicannons too hot? Don't they generate less heat than lasers? I normally run one fixed beam, and two gimballed multicannons on my Courier. But I only really use it when I want really good views in VR.

My MC's have incendiary so they can deal with shields.

Oh, makes sense. I've only bothered to put engineered weapons on my Vette and FdL.

I think I managed to put 3 class 2 railguns on the Courier before. That was fun, but impractical.

Mostly true. But for escape if you couldn't get away from the engineered ship it'd doubtful it'd of changed much without them. As far as pvp meta goes, it's FDL, it was FDL before engineers so not much has changed. It's kinda boring bullshit but Frontier doesn't see the need to make the other medium ships compete with the bullshit that is the Fer De Lance.

Weapon focused distributor mod should help with the heat, along with weapon pip management. If you haven't noticed all ready the heat on those gets worse the lower your weapons capacitor is.

Silent running FAS, and to a lesser extent the Clipper was also a pretty popular ship in PvP before engineers. No one uses them anymore.

That's more to do with missiles not being shit anymore then anything with engineering. Combined with increased heat generation for weapons when in silentrunning the entire concept is pretty fucked over now. 2.2 brought missile nerfs but even further silent running nerfs. It's pretty dead concept except to the diehard lovers of it.

Is there anything they don't want to ruin?

The Fer De Lance.

FDL confirmed for untouchable.

The grind.

Yeah, when I said the engineers I was more referring to the update in general. If the Engineers themselves were the only change with the update, then it wouldn't have been as bad.

All those changes cause the few people that did participate in powerplay to leave in mass. All the old forums are ghost towns of what they were.

The current engineer grind is honestly pretty easy and only gets easier once you've got your first ship done and everyone unlocked that you want. It's just that no one has any clue how to do it so they stumble around and do dumb shit like level up Farseer over Martuuk and try to find Modified Embedded Firmware in uss's instead of bases. The RNG is also overstated, 3-5 rolls is pretty much all you need to get something good. Considering every mat you get comes 3 at a time, this isn't hard to get. Overall engineering has turned the best ships into monsters while making the worst ships at least viable. So it's not all bad, at least if you always wanted to make the dropship good.

It's funny that the engineers is almost impossible without sites like inara or eddb.

Furryspace?
:^)

For those of the Barbarossa Imperium that are still active (haven't seen anyone the last few times), it seems were at war.
The Progressive Star Trek Federation declared war on us.

In unrelated news, I finalized the Heavy Combat Craft Whale for PE. To reduce cost and fuel consumption, I lightened the load.
Also found more colonists…including loli's

They can get even bigger than that. Well they use to anyway.

Kinda sad how rebel ships have no love besides the X-wing fighters…

And good to see how most of them came back in the Rebel animated cartoon series

Anyway what mod make you control the camera?

Can't think of any game that has space elevators. Fiction in general doesn't seem to. Recently read a manga that had one though, called Biomega.

Instead of one elevator though, it has several monorails around it that shuttle like trains can use.

You can build them in Space Engineers but only to a certain limit so it wont get you out of the gravity well of the larger planets.

In Elite, people that have been playing for a long time have absurd amounts of money. There is no use for this money, nothing to do with it. Couple that with no/very little player agency in the game. None/very few ways to significantly affect the BGS. Add to these two things the huge amount of real estate that the game provides.
So no endgame or ways to spend money, no or few ways to affect the game world, and lots of space where you could have room to do the previous two.
The following might be some ways to adress the above:
-give players the ability to buy modular structures that can be placed on the planets we can currenlty land on
-the structures are modular, you only buy them a module at a time (ex:modules that do something will require power so you buy a generator and some solar panels maybe)
-you can place them close toghether according to some simple snaping rules (ex:I place a generator, close by a AA defense turet and a communication array to be able to keep and eye on the outpost remotely)
-Uses: -you can place modules that turn one type of commodity into another (ex: you feed it a mineral and you get a finished product)
-ship landing pads, refueling and repair station
-you can hire NPCs, buy ships for them, and assign them a task (ex: mining in a nearby asteroid belt; guard outpost/patrol orbit; escort another NPC - maybe the miner; pick up a commodity from outpost and sell it at a certain Space station)

Start off these game systems by allowing players only one such outpost on a single planet per player. Maybe later expand the concept and let player factions do the same actions but increase the limit of outposts/planets.
Eventually give players ability to place similar structures but in space (mining stations, shipyards, defense platforms).
Eventually give players the ability to attack and destroy such structures and incentives of why to do it.
Do you think such game systems would be fun or not.

That shit should be added, it'll fall apart though if you allow players to destroy them as a player could just go into solo to blow it up. Even if you restricted that to open play they could easily end up in a separate instance from the defenders.

I'd rather they fix the bogus and broken multiplayer system first and fix the multiple other systems the game has that are as shallow as a puddle, powerplay, engineers, bgs, missions etc

Yes, the attacking/defending part would be difficult to implement with current instancing architecture. That's why I left it as last in the list.
All I want is something for players to work towards, something that can be a big money sink and something that makes use of the huge amount of space available.
And most importantly I think it would pave the way for player factions, conflicts and general player interaction, which is so low at the moment.

inara.cz/galaxy-playerfactions
There are actually a lot of player factions, it just so far the devs have refused to make them an actual part of the game besides names on stations. It's probably some bullshit with balancing their dev time on solo, private and open modes. The next update 2.3 is supposed to be multicrew which will be a multiplayer only thing one presumes which might mean more dev time into some multiplayer only stuff.

Yes, I am aware of Inara. However there is nothing to do for player factions. They can't stake a claim, the can't have a real homebase that they manage and defend. They can't compete (economically, conflict, etc) with other player factions.
There is no interaction for players in factions, the way I see it. If there were even some rudimentary tools for interactions then it would be a start.

Wu Guinagi has 1 starport and 2 outposts which gives boom data delivery missions to HIP something which is only 1 jump away and only has 1 outpost
ranks go by pretty fast there
do it in a small ship though since outposts only have1 medium landing pad and it sucks waiting on NPC's and players

Oh, i don't like them, but i am that much of a autist, if the gameplay is good i can deal with the ketchup noises.

also, isn't rogue squadron also about space dogfights?

Shit i should proofread my posts more often.

My air fleet is completed!

4 VTOL fighters
1 VTOL transport (a typical helicopter with 2 side moutned guns)
1 VTOL Large transport
1 Air Battleship

About 20 defense turrets around my base - gattling guns, lasers, artillery and missile launcher + a tank and combat buggy.

Around 40 colonists, including combat specialists that trained other colonists. I have advanced combat armor on most of them and laz0r rifles.

COME AT ME, AYLIUMS!

What game is this? i looks fun.

Is there a size limit to bases, or is this a hacky simulation of a round world, or something?

The c key when mousing over a unit.

It would be fun as fuck, alright
I appreciate your thoughts into this but don't forget one thing: in Elite your success is independent of your skill level. Most of those with the billions to spare have absolutely no skill in the game. A well trained monkey can achieve the same given enough time, and that's what they are. Now the last thing I want in a game is an easily manipulated well-trained monkey with billions to spare on destroying shaping the universe.
You can already see their effect on the game. Just go check the forums.

Rogue Squadron was an arcadier console friendly knockoff to X-Wing. Most of the missions are on planets but the second and third games have plenty of space missions. It's pretty great as long as you don't mind the ground sections in the third game

I get what you're saying. My initial reasoning did not start from wanting these particular gameplay features. It started from looking at how people are earning credits in the game and what they are doing with them. It started by looking at the issue of mission stacking + FD trying from time to time to nerf ways to make money.
The first change that I would like to see being tested is to sync mission boards per player and reset them only once per time period: for example each player would see the same missions in open, solo and private at the same station and the board is reset once every 10 minutes. That might eliminate mission stacking . I think that if you can somewhat control (within some limits) how much money /hour a player can make you have a good basis to shape an economy. You can then add features that take the /hour money earned by players and give sinks for that money.
That's how I came to the system for placing planetary structures.

Looks like you are trying to build a wall with Mexico.

I'd love to have my own little mining outpost in a planet ring. I could I'd be happy with just having a place to buy more limpets nearby when I go mining, or to store metals I've mined or just a place to enjoy the view. I do think at some point we will see player bases to this effect for planets simply because this is one of the few games where you can't have a land rush. We'll never get into a situation like in UO where every open spot was a collection of two story towers that looked more at home in a hive city then a fantasy landscape. Right now however they've got so much on the table to do I think it'll be another two-three years before we could maybe see such a thing.

Did you hear? The Republic Cruiser from KOTOR which also appeared in Rebels is gunna be in Rogue One

Filoni is Making Star Wars Great Again. Next you know we'll have a full Thrawn side story film.

Wouldn't that ship be like 4000 years old at that point? I like the design but I hope it's a new construction, even though they stopped using those designs, otherwise it's going to be retarded.

They already put the Hammerhead in Rebels.

Planet Explorers

In nuCanon I'm not sure that it's specifically from the KOTOR era anymore. What's mainly said is that it's a very old Republic freighter. Which you could infer that they were retrofit after a certain point to carry cargo because they were too old and underpowered and you might still find them in use by poorer planets and what not.

last time I looked at that game it was bare bones as fuck. Any good now?

Do you actually watch that shit? What the fuck is this? Why are they using 4000 year old space ships anyway? I mean I know the rebels are poor as fuck but there are so many cooler ship designs that aren't 4000 fucking years old. Dragging that ship out of KOTOR does nothing but highlight the fact that there has been near zero technological progress in 4000 years.

I do keep forgetting that they nuked everything but it's still fucking retarded
If you are going to start fresh then start fresh. You can't right off all the cool parts of the old canon then recycle the designs. It's not right.

I would like that game but I hate that blur or whatever the fuck the visual effect it uses that makes the game look weird and blurry

I fucking hate that long neck. It's terrible.

I don't know what could compel them to fuck with one of the most iconic ships in all of pop culture. Especially with that being their change. How do these people have jobs? Oh right, nepotism

Personally im watching it just to see how this season ends.
Supposedly next episode should have some dark troopers on it and so far we have had Thrawn become the seasons big bad and Wedge Antilles got introduced.

Are they even comparable to the original characters we knew considering they have a whole host of new writers? I still can't get over the lightsaber IT AINT ME scene personally.

Well Wedge has been seen rather little, all we saw was him and couple of other cadets plus one of the MC's in the imperial flight academy and then their escape from there on a tie bomber.

As for Thrawn, we have so far established that he can outmaneuver rebels plans quite efficiently and he is obsessing over art.
So far he seems to have been just toying around with the rebels in hopes that they will lead them to some bigger rebel cell in the end.

Space elevators wouldn't cause much destruction on the ground if they snapped.

You'd only end up with destruction around the immediate vicinity of the base, if that.

Why? Two reasons. First, a space elevator has to have its center of mass outside of geosynchronous orbit. If you have

At least that sounds true to him from what I remember, I always like the art collection thing that was pretty good character development. I'm gonna have to reread those books I never finished the series.

It's shit man. They put that piece of crap on Disney XD (some channel you have to pay extra for) instead of one of the many basic cable shows they own like Disney or ABC and seem surprised no one wants to watch it so they never give that piece of shit a budget. So everything looks like ass, flatter and more wooden looking than Clone Wars, everyone seems to have the same recycled basic models, textures and lines that look like they were scribbled in with a fucking crayon or colored pencil. And that's before I get into the actual garbage presentation of the show where it's just monster of the week shit where the Rebels have no motivation to actually do anything except slowly get killed everytime they try something dumb except for the Mary Sue cast who are invincible because Force lol.

The dumbest and most irredeemable part of the series aside from lazily slapping in parts of the EU people liked (Thrawn, Hammerhead ships, etc) they jam pack all this shit in this extremely narrow timeframe set just before Ep IV and you sit there going "wait why do they have B-Wings, A-Wings, and TIE Interceptors so early?" And the A-Wings are treated like shit, they weren't my favorite Rebel fighter but it's fucking insulting to seem them just lazily cruising around during dogfights and being shot left and right and it got to the point where season 3 premiere has them waving the fucking Clone Wars Y-Wings as an UPGRADE to the dogshit version of the A-Wings in this show.

And I just skip the episodes that focus on Jedi shit. It's pretentious moralizing shit at this point that's somehow worse than the mary sue clowning around shit that goes on in the rest of the show.

This is where im watching them.

watchcartoononline.com/anime/star-wars-rebels

kisscartoon mate
Also it's not extra in most cable plans.

???

And in my area any channel that goes past a certain point has to be subscribed for. That included Military, Investigation Discovery, G4, and Disney XD

Sure it wont help them.
But at least you don't have to pay a single dime to watch their low budget crap.

But…I never did. I don't pay for TV period and haven't touched that shit in years. Now I just leech someone else's subscriptions for shit like HBO and Kikeflix

Well in that case, carry on.

Speaking of shit being out of the place in timeline, Thrawn is already a grand admiral in the show.

You're expecting Disney to give a fuck about the cannon. They are only keeping him because he's popular. If they could get away with it they'd add Revan to the show.

No Mexicans out in space. I'm just trying to get a huge-ass hover-friendly base going.

Don't give them ideas or we are going to get an episode about killing revan for his pants.

And he talks like a slow, pretentious retard. Last time I checked, most of his vidya appearances had him talk like a normal person, with a neutral accent as opposed to the typical Imperial British accents even!

And you know what? Frontier had a great opportunity for a cash sink: let players buy engineer upgrades with cash directly instead of components, if they want. Components would be cheaper and probably easier for new players, while wealthy players could spend a ton to get the upgrades right away. Or to reroll them a lot.

But Frontier has no competent game designers.

When was the last time?

It's good. Singleplayer (Story Mode) is long and there's a second singleplayer (Adventure) mode that also has a story. Then you have creation mode to fuck around.
Lots of tiny improvements to UI and stuff. I like it. Comfy.

Man, I was fighting the federation in a conflict zone in Maia when a federal capital ship jumped in, immediately followed by an imperial one appearing right next to it. They started shooting the fuck out of eachother, cool-ass shit

Like this?

Couldn't you just get your mothership to follow you, depending on the planets gravity of course.

For taking out one of those you get less payout (50000 cr) than destroying a Cutter or Corvette (80000 cr).

Check your burger privilege

Nah the fighters all have shit vertical thrusters, I've only tried with the fed one so far and it drops like a rock in gravity. I think the imperial one is better on that regard so I'll give it a shot later.

Whats the name of that wip ship building game with the heat model and the video where they build a ship out of cheese?

what?

That's not true. The Condor is a piece of shit on planets because of it's huge drift (and only slightly better in space). Taipan is the best on planets (no drift) but GU97 is still king overall at speed and turning - slight drift compared to Taipan but mostly because of higher speeds.

Based on videos I've seen, the imperial fighter and taipan should fly just fine on planets, but the fed condor is FUCKED.

meant for

I haven't tried the other two since when I did grab a launcher bay they only had condors and I didn't want to go looking. I'll buy me a keelback at some point and give the other two a go. Or stick it in my Beluga whichever comes first.

Are any of you faggots even playing Starmade anymore?

We were originally supposed to get Revan in the show finale of The Clone Wars but they later replaced him with the ghost of Darth Bane voiced by Mark Hamill

Why does he wear the mask?

New bread