Books are a far better medium to turn into videogames than movies

Books are a far better medium to turn into videogames than movies.
So what books would make great settings for videogames Holla Forums? Pic related, it would make a great Star Control clone.

The complete works of Allen Ginsberg.

It's a rouge-like where you attempt to descend Moloch while on drugs.

There will never be a Book of the New Sun or Malazan: Book of the Fallen game.

That's fine with me. Can't trust anyone to stay true to the source materials these days. Though a dying Earth setting in a game might be neat, if done right.

True.

fuck off

A 400 page book can build a far superior and far more fleshed out world than a 12 hour movie.

When was this ever said? Get the dicks out of your ears user.

It's not an argument for more story.

The SMT example
used is best to illustrate OP's point. The Megami Tensei books are fucking trash, but they present the concept of summoning demons and shit from the computer program. Thus the game expands on the book's world building.

An easier example to understand would be the Harry Potter books. There's quite a bit of world building that a game could flesh out, provided the game doesn't force you to simply be Harry Potter and follow the series' events.

Every fucking time.The best stories in videogames come from videogames that aren't afraid to be games.

Is the book any good? I wanted to play the game and I am a fan of the author

Story is not the same as world building, and I was implying that books are far better and more efficient at doing so than movies. This is also not to say video games should strive to copy books in the same way they have tried to emulate movies, as it would end up poorly. What I am saying, and what this thread is about, is that video games made from books are better, and I am saying it is because books give ten times the information movies do about background details and other immersive details.

As someone who was top reader in his class from middle school until I finally got out of high-school, let me tell you a few things;
Books aren't better or worse to get into than any other medium. They are just another piece of entertainment medium. That is to say, you shouldn't chose one over the other, you shouldn't deprive yourself of one of the other either.
You don't need to be a bookworm to gain literacy skills, in this day and age there is more than enough reading material available from other sources including most RPGs without voice acting.
Finally, while a good book is highlly enlightening, I find a good poem to be just as emotionally attaching as any good book and far more accessible, especially for the average Joe.

I've been thinking a lot about this myself, since I always find the cinema comparison to be inappropriate. The only real comparisons between cinema and video games is the scale of their productions (at least at the AAA level) and the needlessly inflated budgets.

In actuality a lot of the best games in the medium borrow from literature in their own way. Extensive attention to detail, worldbuilding, setting a certain kind of atmosphere or mindset to experience the media, as well as the length and the ability to form expansive and complex concepts. I think if more developers saw game making in this fashion and less in a filmmaking style we would have an industry of a much higher quality than what we have now.

I was agreeing user. Though a good story isn't a bad thing. I personally find movie to be a pretty bad story telling medium and like you said don't give much world building.

oh sorry, the green text made it seem like you were saying I said that. Back on topic, Fahrenheit 451 could make a neat little game, and an actual good "interactive experience" like spec ops the line.

Is he ok? Why is head bobbing so much?

I don't like Holla Forumsnigs but even I can see why they don't trust Jews.

He's dead now, it's fine.

Besides, I've never seen or heard of any progressive gushing about him or misinterpreting his poetry.

Books are better because they're a lot more descriptive in nature, which is good for video game because lore and empirical discovery are a lot more important than story in this medium. True art books such as the ones written by Dostoevsky and Gogol are impossible to be adapted into video games though.

The cuck is you.

Grab an anthology of short stories and put them in a world wherein they all play out with the protagonist being a major part. Doesn't matter if the stories as written play out in the same universe or not, but you make them work. Tie each story into each other in some vague way; the ghoul haunting the little kid is the shopkeeper of the little shop that wasn't there yesterday, the biker with the wellingtons and the accountant hellbent on mergers and aquisitions are drinking buddies, the girl and the boy play in the same park. Do that so that every story can play out in roughly any order in the same world, and dot them all around your landscape. Do that with a few more anthologies, and make most of them quest givers.

You're either trolling or stupid.

That's the opposite of the point. You don't pull the storyline out of the book and make that a vidya, you pull the world, the history, the adventure, the exploration, the alien strangeness; all those things work brilliantly in vidya, especially since you can also have an interesting art style, gameplay, and sound design to add to the book's world.
World building, gameplay, and sound design are my personal most important parts of any vidya.

Books will never have music, sounds, visuals (if it's fully text), gameplay, exploration, failing and learning from your mistakes, losing, test your reaction times, be different when you read them again.

Books are good to get a point across, if you want to explore virtual stories and worlds, why not just be the main character?

I JUST WANT TO FLY LIKE MAGNETO WHILE I JUGGLE GIGANTIC ASSHOLES WITH BARELY-FITTING SKIN AND MANAGE A DOZEN RESOURCES

I honestly wouldn't mind legalizing all drugs, if someone wants to fuck up their life, they'll just have an easier way to do it, that, and the spics would just fuck off. The taxes for it would also improve the economy a bit, that and removing gibs/welfare/etc and the majority of social security so leechers and NEETS no longer receive it.

Battle of the fittest, bitch.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Entire countries have fallen apart or been conquered due to loose laws like that.

Imagine if you were 12 or 14 years old and you were stupid as fuck because you were a kid. Someone would offer you drugs that are VERY addictive, such as fentanyl or heroin. Even in the case that you'd recover from fucking your shit up right then, you will remember the pleasure again in your teens, or when you're an adult.

You will probably go back to it.

Oh really?
Well, explain this!

The problem is that videogames are bound to focus on action while most books focus on inaction.

There is a reason you have a country going to war on drug dealers and drug addicts. There is no helping some people, especially once they get addicted to certain things, and those people become wastes of resources or in fact harmful to the rest of the populace if left to their own devices.

Yeah legalize all drugs, the weak will die off.
All who drink and do drugs are weak willed and strive to be accepted because they cant accept themselves for being a waste of space. Let them OD on drugs if they want.

What other vidya franchises other then Halo have good books?

Dead Space and The Witcher.

Yes watch Ross game dungeon vid on the game

But The Witcher is a book series.

The books have the quality of a video game by-product, so the mistake is easy to make.

I read most of the books in Polish, can confirm.

Must be annoying having foreigners defend some genre fiction trash like it's national treasure of Polish literature.

Books take less people to make thus are less likely to need Jew money.

It's not like we don't have better books. Not fantasy, but fuck that, The Doll was fucking great

FUCKING WHEN
at the very least, someone should have tried to make a skyrim mod based on this

The first book is pretty good. Its basically a not so distant future scenario with space faring without FTL travel.
The second book adds some retarded shlock tier characters and unnecessary drama so I didn't finish that shit.

>Play as the Emperor and attempt to halt the unavoidable downward crash with no survivors of the Empire

those would make a badass TV show/epic movie

Is it about business n'shit?

somebody post that author who writes books like "My ass's ghost turned gay and fucked me in the ass"

foundhim ,this dude

Making drugs legal wont cause people to suddenly use crack. The reason people use or not use hard drugs has nothing to do with it's legality. So yeah, why not? Take away all gang violence right then and there because they would have nothing to sell.

Making drugs legal wont cause people to suddenly use crack. The reason people use or not use hard drugs has nothing to do with it's legality. So yeah, why not? Take away all gang violence right then and there because they would have nothing to sell.

That is why there is no point in wasting resources trying to jail them since they will still try to use.

This idea sounds decent enough but are the books actually good?

Personally, I think television shows would be a better fit for books than movies, but books are a strange choice.
I won't like that fantastic games have come from books, however. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. being one of my favourites.

What's going on here?

Dank souls did it pretty decently.

Explaining would be a spoiler if you've never played the halo games.

They are legitimately good sci fi novels in their own right.

China MiƩville's Bas-Lag books

Perdido Street Station, The Scar, Iron Council

etc

I've played Gaylo, I know what the Flood is. I was making a joke at how it looks like Master Chief is about to get tentacle sex.
The tentacle near is face dripping liquids onto his armour and everything.

It also means fewer plot holes because it's all realized by one guy.

Also that second image makes me extremely frustrated. Realism is not the same as internal consistency. Realism is only important in a simulation or when it adds something. Internal consistency is always important and if there is a lack of internal consistency there better be a damn good reason for it. Dismissing criticism of you breaking your own rules is not the same as criticism of breaking the rules of reality which is only valid if you are claiming that what you are offering is a simulation or historically accurate.

I wasn't sure if you were legimately asking and din't know what the flood was, knew what the flood was but was confused why there were tentacles rather then comat forms, or if you were just joking, so I figured the safest thing to do was what I said.

Anyways, heavy flood infestions can lead to the envoimrnet itself growing flood organs and tentacles and stuff out of it like that, you see it in the one mission in Halo 3 and a few times in Halo Wars

Fuck, that's actually kinda hot

>We will never fight the steel inquistors Fuck it's been too long and I can't remember half the stuff
>We will never sit around with no idea what's going on while the new God clumsily tries to fix the planets problems only to completely fuck things up everytime they do something

The fact he's just standing there with his guns up instead of shooting at it or trying to get away tells me he wants it

It's cool to take something like Dune and use the setting to make a kickass strategy game but OP is just making excuses for even more visual novel tier nogames

Many books are 8 hours long because they often go into UNLIMITED DETAIL by describing scenarios with autistic accuracy or going into in-depth explanations about some character's feelings. You know how much of that translates to gameplay time? Exactly zero seconds, since they happen in parallel.

Don't try to count reading time as play time. Count internal action timespans (this means time the characters spend time actually doing stuff) and you will see most books are just good for a nice two hours long demo.

no, one isn't better than the other, what matters is the director and if the people working on it are competent enough to work with what they have to make a video game. The same people could make a good game from scratch with just a story idea; it's not about what you're converting, it matters who the fuck is making it
I want this meme to die out.

>>>/cuckchan/

This is what relativist kike commie SJW liberal faggots believe. Objectivism is where it's at, and books are objectively better than videogames.

PROVE ME WRONG

Inner monologue has always been a difficult thing to translate. Maybe games can do that better than movies, with inventory items with descriptions and shit, but that means you're limiting yourself to slower paced games. Unless you don't mind making it like nuDoom and putting away the story in a place where you'll only look if you're really bored of the gameplay

The Black Company
Jack Reacher
Redwall

I would like a new Kyle Hyde anything. A book or a comic showing the events after Last Window would be perfect. I just want Kyle to be reunited with Bradley, Dunning to find his daughter (If she's not already dead), for Hyde to finally take down Nile, and to see what comes of Mila after college. There's just too many loose ends that need closure.

Did you not get the true ending To the first hotel desk game?

Anders, the books.
That was an entire series about a kid that had an accident in an helicopter and landed inside a valley full of half-humans half-animals and other atrocities.
He got to meet a cute cat girl and went on an adventure exploring the place and trying to get out, finding out the different factions and conditions they lived.
In the end he finds out his father owns the valley, is an elf, he himself is also an elf and nobody can live because everyone is infected with a disease that's deadly to humans

Honestly, the story and the world seemed like a really good Fallout alternative universe and would make for a very good survival game where you keep trying to escape and must find any way out possible. Perhaps ditch the disease and give the player several ways to escape but only a few, randomly chosen when you begin the game, actually will work and you must find them out while making friends with your cat girl and dealing with the tribes.

Anders, the books.
That was an entire series about a kid that had an accident in an helicopter and landed inside a valley full of half-humans half-animals and other atrocities.
He got to meet a cute cat girl and went on an adventure exploring the place and trying to get out, finding out the different factions and conditions they lived.
In the end he finds out his father owns the valley, is an elf, he himself is also an elf and nobody can live because everyone is infected with a disease that's deadly to humans

Honestly, the story and the world seemed like a really good Fallout alternative universe and would make for a very good survival game where you keep trying to escape and must find any way out possible. Perhaps ditch the disease and give the player several ways to escape but only a few, randomly chosen when you begin the game, actually will work and you must find them out while making friends with your cat girl and dealing with the tribes.

Tried reading crytum and almost got a brain tumor, it was awful even worse than a gears of war book I read which was also terrible, but that gaylo book also destroyed the original story made by bungie and did that retconn faggotry where ancient humans were at war with the forerunners and other shit that made no sense so they could make gaylo4 and 5

back to reddipol, newcuck

Well if no one is going to make a book of them we'll have to settle for the games then.

no

I think you're preaching to the choir user. Pretty sure most of us here realise it's a shit-tier excuse.

Not just regarding internal consistency either. This is the kind of bullshit people spout when it's pointed out that the medieval combat in a fantasy setting is poorly researched. Because apparently magic and dragons existing means that archers don't need to know how to use a bow properly.

>>>Holla Forums

There's not a single thing in Cryptum that created a retcon.

Can you go back to whatever casual place you came from?

Can you go back to whatever casual place you came from?

ok

Burdon of proof you DOUBLENIGGER

For more fun, you could make the game start in the 1800s/early 1900 and have a timescale that makes years relevant. This means your hunters will grow old and die (and thus you can't depend on a super awesome character forever) and new guns become obtainable when they hit the market. This could also play into the development: Do you invest in people making silver .30-40 Krag when a new cartridge might make it totally obsolete (this could be randomized to prevent metagaming and allow alternate timelines where 280 British became a thing)? If you keep a gun in use for 100 years, you can add it to your team as a tsukumogami

Oh god I want a Mistborn Sandbox game, or a Stormlight Dynasty Warriors game so fuggin badly.

What? You think Moby Dick would make a good video game when there's only one surly captain with a hardon for a giant evil fish for an antagonistic force? Unless you're going to embelish the original narrative by adding pirates, sharks, killer mermaids, and buttfucking sodomites from outer space: you're not going to have an engaging video game.

There's wrong with adding more story in video games if free gameplay isn't shit.

Fuck I meant "the"

What?

The Mistborn Trilogy was going to be turned into a game, but something got fucked up and the studio imploded before even producing any early alpha footage.

The image, I'm taking the piss out of the attachment at the end of the gun.