How the fuck?

So how is it that looking at SquareSoft/ Enix sales that Final Fantasy 7 did better then Dragon Quest 7 at the time? Yet during the Snes/Nes phase Dragon Quest sold better? How much Marketing was in place for FF7 to do good? And why is that FFV/ FFVI did worse then DQV/ DQVI yet they are far more superior in gameplay, sound, graphics and story. What the fuck is GOING ON?!

FUCK

Final fantasy 7 was in 3d and dragon quest 7 wasnt

Fancy FMVs and anime like characters, that's why superior games like this one got overlooked. Normalfags like graphics.

Was the NA audience a huge part of it as well?

Yes, remember that criticsand have always been corrupt and they are easily impressed, and that FFVII came out during the anime craze of the late 90s.

ff7 was a strong contender for gamefaqs game of the year for the next decade.

i meant best game of all time/the decade/whatever

Am I suppose burnt like a witch if I think Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy aren't that good of Rpgs let alone games? I dont understand Japans circle jerk when it comes to Dragon Quest.

FUCK

what character is in your profile picture

quality thread

It's an alternate styling of Papyrus from Undertale that's popular among fans. I think it's called "Underswap".

Sage for both off-topic and me showing my power level.

Motherfucking kill yourself. I played that game for the first time last year and it's pretty mediocre with a bad, rushed story and shit gameplay. The only good thing was the Dogi parody character.

I said it was better than FFVII, which it certainly is.

It isn't. FFVII has better gameplay, story and characters. I know it's cool to shit on FFVII, and it's not a bad game, while TGS kinda is.

B-but muh Quintet…

Vastly superior PS1 RPG coming through

Quintet was a good developer back then, Soulblazer and Terranigma are cool, for example.

DQ VII is actually the highest selling game in the franchise in Japan, and I'm pretty sure the highest selling PS1 game there. Outside of Japan it's a different story, as DQ has always had a niche following in America due to how Enix handled the series (they initially closed their American branch in the mid 90s only to reopen to release DQ7 and eventually merge with Square) and JRPGs never being popular before FF7. DQ was also basically ignored Europe since never got a game there until DQ8.

You clearly never played Granstream Saga, it has anime character designs, and anime FMVs including one with a shower scene for fanservice.

your fantasy of japs being the enlightened precursor gamers is false. theyre more casual than the west.

DQ stopped being good after the NES.

That has nothing to do with what I posted.

No strictly true. DQ7 had 3d environments and 2d sprite. FF7 had 2d environments (except world maps) and 3d characters.

lies

True, but DQ7, which had been in development before FF7, still looked massively dated compared for when it came out. Didn't help it out the same year as FFX, making it look even more old and not endearing to Americans.

No it isnt, Dragon Quest III is. Get out of here faggot.

Does that include sales from re-releases?

which dragon quest wud u fuq

I did fucker, but it didn't have the appeal or the budget of ffvii.

dropped

FFVII had nonstop TV ads (that only showed cutscenes and GF summons, of course) for like two months before christmas.

Yeah dude. It does. Dragon Quest 3 had like 5 different releases.

That shit is so nostalgic and i'm not even a fan of the game, it makes me hate the remake even more because it's so devoid of the love of the original.

I remember them specifically being played on channel one that every classroom had on before class in the mornings.