Games that mock the player

What are some games that mock the player for playing on easy difficulties or not preforming well enough in a level/mission?

Mocking the player is a retarded idea. Any developer who puts that into their game is showing nothing but contempt for the person that gives him his paycheck.

The only one I know that does this is God Hand with a short audio blurb poking fun at your incompetence, but that examples one of the more obvious ones on this site with how often it's brought up among anons.

To branch off on your point there was the FFXI Boss absolute Virtue, which the devs of that game constantly buffed whenever players gained a foothold or even beat the boss in order to mock their autism dedication.

Maybe you should learn to play the game retard

The cancer killing video games.

But he's right.

There isn't a single good game that mocks the player.

Nigga, the nips chained a raid for like 18 hours and got him down to like a third of his life or something, then they hotpatched in an instakill or regen or rage move or something to fuck with them.

why?

There's nothing wrong with taking jabs at the player as long as there's no malintent to it. Problem is, a lot of gamedevs that do this bring it on too heavy, as opposed to just being cheeky cunts about it.

Even going as far as tell them to go whine on the forums.

Cloakers are nowhere near as hard as they used to be when they were first added.
OVK realised they had fucked up when people didn't stop complaining after several weeks on end.

This game's existence insults me.

space quest

I play it daily.

Make sure you do your homework first. Algebra is important.

Virtue's Last Reward calls you an idiot and will literally solve the puzzles for you if you play easy and keep failing like a retard.

I'd rather just play Destiny.

Did I say Algebra? I meant ABCs.

This. Nothing wromg if there is a little jab, people do it all the time to eachother. Unless the game is telling the player to check their privilage the entire time, there is nothing wrong, just get thicker skin.

Really? I just took the retard's way and followed YouTube guides since the puzzles just went over my head too much.

Thanks but I'd rather just play Destiny.

This game is for the mentally handicap.

They wanted to kill it, and Square wanted it to be unkillable and kept punishing players and patching bullshit in to stop them.

It's just a rare spawn recolored enemy with no significant drops

Git gud, nigga

Is it even possible to kill anymore? I've heard about this fucker in other threads and genuinely want to punch the devs for basically saying the effort they put in to killing the monster wasn't "actually legitimate". It's like a slap in the face to the power of autism. There has to be repercussions. There needs to be justice.

I'm pretty sure they raised the level cap and added some super ability so now it's just very difficult. Also SE employees released a video themselves almost a decade back on how to legitimately beat it. Yes, they patched that method out too.

Your post is a disaster

Oh no, you don't get off that easy

Yeah I fucked up and was gonna make a clean post but it seems no longer necessary.

Pes 2010 or 08 can't remember
The commentators berate you in every possible way for even the simplest of mistakes with the exception of outright telling you to kill yourself.

Its okay user I'm acutally retardely bad at video games puzzles. I don't know why but its like a puzzle hits and my brain shuts down and I end wanting to cry. I end up with nothing but dust coming out my ears and I just can't work past it.

fuck you

You don't give them their paychecks, many code monkeys are hired and fired for one game in a revolving door.

I was so bad at operation flashpoint that I got "War isn't fair but a videogame should be. Would you like to skip to the next section?"

That's exactly how I feel when I play RTS games. My brain gets overwhelmed and I end up quitting or forfeiting because I can't focus on all the different units.

Nigga say what?

It's called banter faggot. Stop being so thin-skinned and get better.

South Park: Stick of Truth mocks you endlessly. Qiuet funny.

I looked up a few of them too. The only one I'm really ashamed of was the fucking first puzzle which I was only failing because I was overthinking it. I read the caption on the poster in the elevator, "Wouldn't it be great if life started at 90 and we gradually approached 18" and thought I was being clever counting the young people as old and vice versa. Then I find out it's exactly as it was at first glance.

Last I heard, Absolute Virtue was an attempt to get people to stop playing so much. I wouldn't doubt it. Why else would someone make an impossible to beat monster that is completely unremarkable and inconsequential? The boss looks like a common enemy, doesn't drop anything, and there's absolutely no reward whatsoever from being it. IIRC It wasn't even announced or anything. They just kinda put it in the game as if it was some lvl1 monster.

It's not much, but Super Mario Galaxy says "Too bad!" if you die. Sounds a bit condescending, doesn't it?

The most notable and dickish thing about it was the official method they used to beat it and claimed was legitimate… broke their own ToS. Yes, you would get banned if you actually killed it the way the devs said you were supposed to.

Advance Wars in a nutshell

In Phantasmagoria of Flower View, Yuuka mocks the player if you beat the game on Easy, and practically tells you to git gud before playing as her again.

i like when it tells you to take a break. its like when people tell me to stop posting.

IS this player being retarded on purpose?

Faggot ass dog from duckhunt.

Holy shit cloakers were gay as fuck when they were first added. Even now, they still hit you through objects and take a ridiculous amount of firepower to stop in time. But as bad as cloakers are, I hate the insta-pop flashbangs a lot more. Overkill doesn't even care about requiring skill to handle shit, they just jam bullshit into the game and expect you to deal with it. Their idea of increased difficulty can be summed up as "reducing the viability of as many builds as possible".

Yeah I suspect he's trying to get less than 100 points or something like that. Triggers the other path.

fuck me why did I never get this game

Is this GalCiv 2?

yes

At higher difficulties the AI also customise their ships specifically to beat yours.

Well, the Tower Knight song laughs at you.

You can't complete the game on Easy.

Contra 4 doesn't let you play the last 2 levels on easy.

fuck off casual

ninja gaiden

>crash later
>you're laughed at

Whats actually happening in the video?

and then in mario galaxy 2 "hey do you want space waifu to beat the level for you, you fucking scrub?
they do that in donkey kong country returns too
the last game i can think of is hammerfight, asking if you want to skip a level thats been beating your ass.

brush up on yo skeelz

A bit old, but Rise of the Triad outright tells you you suck when you suck.

Easy modes and difficulty settings where forced unto devs by publishers who always wanted to "reach a greater audience" at the cost of correct management of resources and actual game play, mocking players who choose to ride a chevy with baby wheels should be mandatory.

In Streets of Rage 3 if you play on Easy mode in the Western versions of the game the boss of stage 4 will tell you that you 'play this game like a beginner' and the game will end there(instead of stage 7).

Alien Soldier for the SEGA Genesis/Megadrive has two difficulty levels. Super Easy, & Super Hard.

So how can you win at this game if they're set to Intelligent if they can read your every move?

i guess you find another way to cheese it

Space Quest is probably the king of getting a cheap laugh for kicking the player when he's down.

isn't phantasmagoria of flower view easier than imperishable night?

What's the point of mocking the player for playing it on easy, when they could simply make the game more difficult during development?

to answer your question, yes. In the level sector Y, Fox and his team are tasked with assisting the Cornerian fleet in a fight against Andross's gundam-esque soldiers. Getting less than 100 points in the mission results in the fleet being destroyed, and you will be forced to go to Katina for mission 3. Getting more than 100 points will end the level with the fleet still alive, and you can go to Aquas. Getting 150 points by the end of the mission with none of your allies defeated gets you a medal.

Other way around. Devs who do that LOVE the game and love their players. That's why they put things in the game they obviously had fun putting in. And that's why they want the players to play the game the way it was intended to be played

If they had contempt for their boss they'd put minimal effort into the game, they wouldn't go out of their way to put little jokes and things like that.

Sounds like you just need to

Git gud

Why hasn't there been a game that actually seeks to insult and ridicule you for being a pussy bitch who plays easy mode?

So do the fucking jailer NM's. Anyway.

Pic related. It used to straight up drop the items the sins turn into. PLUS it gives a title when you kill it.

I'll stop giving into your bait now, but..yeah. It's bad when an elite group of scholars server-wide came up with a theory that'd fuck AV's shit sideways, and then SE reads the forum and immediately mega-nerfs Scholar helixes into dust out of fucking nowhere.

That's a global fuck you to players, and a problem to the devs being retarded.

That message comes when you stack a bunch of troop transports in a territory you're not at war with. With better AI, that results in a massive relations penalty and then a war declaration. If they didn't fight, you could take over half their planets in one turn.

You can still do basically the same thing with massive culture and ship speed, though.

God damn I hated that level. Almost as much as I hate the Depot.

I agree. Aquas is easily the worst level in the game, and it's the one level I can't get the medal on for the life of me.

Hell, I even did that on a shitty N64 emulator without filters, and the whole screen was dark as fuck. In fact, shooting missiles was the only way to make the screen bright enough to see something.

How could you niggers forget Earthworm Jim? If you beat the game on Easy, not only do you not get to play the full game, but Doug TenNapel himself will tell you to git gud and then proceed to read you the biology of worms before going on a tangent about evolution

From what I understand, Sierra was treating their workers super shitty during the development of Quest for Glory II - and as a bit of revenge, Lori and Cory ended up naming the slummy totalitarian controlled city as "Rasier", an anagram of Sierra. They also named the dictator and main villain, Ad Avis, as a pun on Bill Davies - the then creative director.

QFGII was a great game (best in the franchise IMO) and had tons of little jokes and easter eggs, and even direct references to a sequel at the end. So they knew they were going to make more. But from what I remember hearing in interviews, the Coles hated Davies at the time, hated the work environment, and thought the company was going to shit.

So you know, some devs still power through like professionals and make a great game for their players even within shitty work environments.

Shame the Coles went full SJW and have forgotten how to make a decent game since then.

Damn, that stinks. Reminds me of an user mentioning something similar with the shadow hearts games. The devs made a weapon that blatantly resembles the building they worked in, with the publisher's logo on it to boot.

this, also the speech he gives if you beat it on hardest is good shit too

The difficulty setting descriptions do this too ("I am a chew toy" and similar for easy or normal). ROTT 2013 goes even further with the mockery on deaths.

Absolute Virtue was a boss that was supposed to be beaten using a special "secret" strategy and ONLY with that strategy. Unfortunately, the strategy was too well hidden, so much so that players came up with alternative methods of beating him instead, which were all nerfed because they weren't "correct". Keep in mind those methods included such things as fighting him through a wall and stacking a certain character class.

The correct strategy involved any one player using their 2-hour cooldown ability when the boss cast the same spell, as this would for some unexplained reason counter the spell the boss cast. Such spells include a full-heal ability, restoring the boss to full health, among other things.

that's absolutely brutal