How will the decline of home console sales effect the future of gaming

are home consoles slowly becoming extinct?
if the home console market dies off, will it shift game development to PC gaming or mobile gaming?
is the 2nd video game crash coming soon or will mobile shit eventually take over?

NES, released in 1983, 61.91 million units sold
SNES, released in 1990, 49.10 million units sold
Nintendo 64, released in 1996, 32.93 million units sold
GameCube, released in 2001, 21.74 million units sold
Wii, released in 2006, 101.63 million units sold
Wii U, released in 2012, 13.02 million units sold

PlayStation, released in 1994, 102.49 million units sold
PlayStation 2, released in 2000, 155 million units sold
PlayStation 3, released in 2006, 83.8 million units sold
PlayStation 4 , released in 2013, 43.5 million units sold

Xbox, released in 2001, 24 million units sold
Xbox 360, released in 2005, 84 million units sold
Xbox One, released in 2013, >10 million units sold

Other urls found in this thread:

nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/newswire/uploads/2009/02/4th-qtr-2008-console-gender-usage-abridged.pdf
igea.net/2016/03/australian-video-game-industry-strides-towards-3-billion/
fortune.com/2016/02/16/video-game-industry-revenues-2015/
united-kingdom.taylorwessing.com/download/article-future-of-gaming-2016.html
businessinsider.com/pokemon-go-is-losing-paying-players-2016-9
businessinsider.com.au/how-much-money-has-pokmon-go-made-in-one-week-2016-7
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't think it's entirely fair to compare the PS4 and Xbox One's sales after 3 years to the PS3 and Xbox 360's sales after 10+ years. I am hoping for a crash soon though.

What a fucking blunder

inb4 (215)

No the Xbone and PS4 just don't have a flagship exclusive to gain sales.

Both, the GabeCube or something like it will take the FPS market while mobile will take a lot of the puzzle market.

Nope, there is nothing to indicate a downturn any time soon.
It will gain more casuals but it will never gain the core.

also those numbers ignore the fact Nintendo was the only one to never sell hardware at a loss. They are also the strongest financially as they aren't tied to a sinking ship of a corporation (sony) or being targeted by a board that see it as barely profitable (ms)

I really do see this as the last console generation. The cancer is reaching breaking point and even the upgraded consoles will still struggle to hit 1080p and 60FPS.

From what I understand is that the Ps4 pro can't even play 60fps on 1080p despite the upgrade.

But the new Bone has the highest quality pixels anyone's ever seen.

I see it coming relatively soon. With the dying economy, increasing prices on everything, games included, most of which are now more procedural and boring, with false advertising, shit generic mechanics and a boring premise I don't see consoles doing well.

We're even beginning to see the effects now. From the new just cause to the new tomb Raider, people are largely not interested in rushed cash cows with a narrative, especially on a luxury good they can scarcely afford.

And if making buggy, half finished, rushed, shit games with forced narratives that are beginning to grate on people isn't enough, they're also creating on disc dlc, micro transactions, season passes, episodic content and all this ridiculous shit that tries to rip off a consumer base with a tightening wallet, sometimes on bloody release day. Shit look at battlefield 1! They even have a 120 dollar package that doesn't even include the fucking game!

Then there's the ungrateful SJWs and shitty devs everywhere in the industry, from indie devs to bio ware, to Bethesda, that insult, ignore, brush off and in some cases berate their customers. In any other profession, insulting your customers would see you fired! Not in Vidya though, but that doesn't mean people forget. Who also try to push their personal agenda and attack anyone who disagrees.

Between how customers are being treated financially and in customer relations, I don't see consoles having much of a future . Especially with the dying economy. Most likely mobile will be the future due to the impersonal Ness of it, as well as the simplicity of games. Course mobile games have a very short shelf life and you need to hit the right market and their prospective itches to make bank, otherwise itd. I don't see Vidya doing all that well in the future at all. It's going to just be the guys doing it because they love it.

It wouldn't be an issue if the marketers hadn't claimed it could do something it can't.
Both the Xbone and PS4 are more powerful than the previous generation so if the marketers promised "better graphics" they would actually deliver without anyone expecting 60 @ 1080p.

I think the declining sales might force people to learn the difference between "affect" and "effect".

It wish, but it wont happen
Anything gimmicky that Sony or Microsoft shit out for their consoles will be immediately defended and ate by the legions of casuals and normalfags.
Thats the sad reality of it

Affect

A shift to PC gaming could cause a surge of genuinely good games as most people I know who play on PC aside from the mustardfags are jaded as hell. And this could also help reduce the amount of normalfags and women in gaming making the hobby not insufferable dog shit.

Though in reality I doubt this will happen and Chads will just buy prebuilts and shit on this dream just so they can play NBL2K78.

Mustardfags need to be gassed
These fags talk about "superiority" and only play the newest cancer or multiplats ignoring emulation and older games almost completely.

And 9/10 of that sold solely in the U.S, barely anything in RoW. And nothing in Japan (there the PS3 still sells better than the Xbone).

They barely have any influence outside the US, launched later and with less regions than the PS4 and at 100 dollarydoos more with weaker hardware with the whole Always Online fiasco on their back.

Im surprised it sold that much

I await this thread reaching 300 posts of generic Holla Forumsedditor hipster shitposting

PC gaming is selling higher than ever, there's your correlation. The meme and the ignorance are slowly dying, you can't have Patcher come out and tout his $4000 computer number anymore and bullshit people, because now everyone knows better. Many of the best games are multiplats, with the PC being one of those platforms.

People hate exclusives now, and why the fuck wouldn't they? Exclusives are like someone taking a big delicious cheeseburger, and then licking the entire outer surface of the burger before handing it to you, and being like "there, now you can enjoy it?" and it gauges whether you're willing to eat around the saliva or not.

Fuck exclusives.

Only in 3rd world shitholes.

Also

The Wii wasn't even popular with many people over 18, it was a cheap Christmas gift for children in families. You're drawing conclusions based on absolutely nothing. Go back to cuckchan with your intellectually dishonest garbage.

Having worked in retail around the time the Wii came out, I can tell you that it was being baught by people and not by parents. Parents were buying their kids Xbox 360s, there were no PS3 buyers (or very few anyway), but couples (including a few lesbian couples) came in and bought the Wii to play with each other, but almost no one was trying to get one for their kids.

The Wii was the everyman platform, the platform that EVERYONE could play on. And they wanted to, because it was a perfect blend of uncomplicated controls and up to 4 players having fun. So I defy you, the Wii was not just a "for the kids" console, there was grown fucking people, including 70 year old guys, who were buying Wii just so that they too could try the new sensation.

I got the Wii the year it came out due to employee privilege and I fucking regret the money I spent on it. It's been collecting dust since 6 months after the fucking thing came out.

And then the Wii-U, that one's a joke, if you lose the gamepad you're fucked, and wouldn't you know it, the one thing Nintendo makes as difficult as possible to replace is the gamepad. You can't even update your firmware without a gamepad.

And disregarded
nielsen.com/content/dam/corporate/us/en/newswire/uploads/2009/02/4th-qtr-2008-console-gender-usage-abridged.pdf

How the fuck do you lose something that big?

This too, you're a moron if you lose that, even if you break it somehow.

One guy had theirs lost by airport workers who misplaced all of his luggage. Another guy had his stolen by someone thinking it was a tablet.

That kind of thing. I'm not saying "one day I was walking with the Gamepad in my living room, and I misplaced it, and now I can't find it" – people who don't know what it is will steal it, and sometimes shit happens.

I though it had a RX480

Such as North America and Europe.

No it has a updated api thought.

Roasted himself. Should've seen that coming.

Oh, just shitholes then.

It's another mustards being delusional episode.

Haha no. PC users either play dota all day, or steal entire libraries off torrent sites.

On an unrelated note, PC devs go bankrupt pretty often, don't they?

Hear hear. This one time I lost a graphics card half a month after installing.

I never leave my room, I never even took it out, and it STILL went missing. This shit really does happen all the time.

It's a Polaris based Graphics Core Next APU. 2304:144:32 Unified shaders : texture mapping unit : render output unit, 911 MHz clock. The RX480 has 2304:144:32 but is at a higher clock speed.

ah ok thanks user.

I guess you're Russian? Since its only Russians doing this.

Holla Forums is mostly russians

I guess that's why Hillary keeps crying about Russians and Pepe.

While both PC and console are dwarfed by smartphones/tablets/handheld, PC is still a more significant marketshare at the moment. Even if you're memeing, that makes "dota all day and piracy lol" an impossibility.

Not more often than failing companies in other industries.

The merifats are on to us, comrades, abort

Nah she just wants another Cold War since that lines the pockets of the (((defense industry))) with tax dollars

Oh right, you mean like Steam. I mean, Steam is mostly a dota window nowadays, but it is pretty diverse. You got DOTA, LoL, HoN, Team Fortress 2, that TF2 clone blizzard spent some hundred million dollars making, that clone of blizzard's clone…

…and skyrim! Truly PC players have fantastic taste in games!

I really wanted to stay with consoles but goddamn everything is coming out for PC. Why would I stay on console.

LoL,HoN and the blizzclone have separate clients

What the fuck are you on about?
I'm talking about the actual marketshare, where PC as a total is not only equivalent to all console platforms together, but currently somewhat higher.
LoL isn't on steam for some super obvious reasons, DOTA is huge but it's still only 216m/y and that's a drop in the 32 billion pond. Since LoL has China it's actually much larger, making up a 1.6 million chunk, but these two together don't account for the 30 million remaining. Skyrim's entire sales, Overwatches entire sales, TF2's yearly revenue, HoN's revenue back in 2012 (dwindling now), all wrapped in to a big bundle, and it's not even another billion. I don't think you have anything close to a grasp on what the PC market is, how it's broken down, and when you point out
it's pretty obvious- Skyrim was best received by 360 and worst received by PC.
Grorious consoles etc etc but I'll be the one accused of

Meme generalizations are still meme generalizations.

Even if just a small amount of PC users bought games, the sheer amount that such a slice actually is, massively outweights the console population. And console users frequently hack\jailbreak\"fix" their consoles to work with CD's they burn themselves out of a torrent they download. The Playstation always had a disc to boot before any pirated copy and the Wii had a chip you could install to bypass protection guess how I know
You even have threads about 3DS and Vita piracy here, not to mention emulation threads.

What's happening is indeed that more people are simply not buying consoles because they already have the previous ones and see no reason to buy a new one. They don't even play videogames as much as either of us does, so whatever console they have, there's still a very large library for them to go through, a bigger one as well since they have lower standards.

Then there's the few that actually went for PCgaming instead, either because they heard this was where the free games where at or because they want something a bit more sophisticated and interesting. Why would you want to play COD when there's Insurgency and Arma or why would you want to play any console RPG when you can get much better ones on PC?

Note that consoles actually have their purpose and games that work best for them, but they simply aren't covering them as much as they should, instead focusing on games that are essentially direct competition with PC and losing badly.
Any platformer, hack&slash or driving\sports game would excel on consoles. Basically anything in 3rd person. The controller feels perfectly natural for that kind of environment, better than the M&KB.
However, they keep focusing on their FPS and Adventure or RPG games that need much faster and more complex controls for a tigther and more interesting gameplay, which means competing with the PC that will always boast a better control scheme for this kind of games.

Overwatch although despised here is an excelent example where the console users need different patches and fixes because the controller simply can't handle the same thing it can on the PC and a lot of them end up feeling like they got the worst version of the game they did
Consoles should be for Need for Speed and Crash the Bandicoot, not CoD or Uncharted.

feels good to be PC master race

accuracy shit, millions and billions should have a few more letter differences, fucking English
also, those revenues put together in entirety and assuming they're all on the same year are about 2 bn, which simply doesn't cut it

I was going to say witcher but literally everything that came to mind was multiplat.

Bloodborne may be the top seller for the PS4, considering that was mostly the only reason or at least the biggest one to own that console.
It only sold 2 million, which is odd said like this, it's still a large number after all.
But compared to the literal billions of PC players?

Now I'd like another graph like OP for console exclusives so we knew how many there were per generation, and more importantly, how many were considered good.

I dunno how much Shadow Warrior 2 sold yet, but avoided using Denuvo, and although the game wasn't considered anything special by Holla Forumss standards it was still quite fun.
Considering they went with a "let's make a good game and trust people to buy it" policy, if it was sucessfull and sold a lot, maybe we'd see more Devs for PC doing the same?

Nice half chan image

Nice sage

Double A is the savour of vidya only buy from this who want to make games sjw are the crash death to triple a an all their cronies.

No user. You should only buy good games, it doesn't matter if it's AA or not.

it can't get much worse

Nowadays most good games come from AA though.

Not true, there are many great games with much lower budgets.

This.
AA usually have enough polish and effort they don't feel tacky or horrible or pretentious like hipster trash, but at the same time they are humble and quirky and know very well their limitations.
You always get a game that actualy manages to entertain you, even when you know it could have been better if made by a AAA team (except not really anymore)

Yeah, because SW2 was so great huh?

SW2 is not the only AA game and yes, it was great. Maybe not a 11/10, but still a very fun game.

That's what people have been saying since 2007 and earlier.

Im talking about games with an actual budget though.
E.Y.E would have been fucking glorious with a little more money and polish by Streum On.
And that looks to be the case by Deathwing itself looks fucking great.

I liked it, I also liked XCOM2

Syndicate Wars 2?

Except steadily declining sales of videogames, consoles and more and more dev companies going face up.

What to you signals a crash other then that?
Fucking retard.

No matter what source I give you will question it so have a few and find your own if you still aren't happy.
igea.net/2016/03/australian-video-game-industry-strides-towards-3-billion/
fortune.com/2016/02/16/video-game-industry-revenues-2015/
united-kingdom.taylorwessing.com/download/article-future-of-gaming-2016.html

That's the proof?
Australia's industry increasing mainly due to overpriced games?
And percentage increases from stock anaylists who fudge capital gains with income?

Wew, buddy lrn 2 economics.

Then provide your own source showing the industry is shrinking.

Are you alright, user? Do you have leg damage?

OP already did which is saled figures.
How do you suggest a growing industry when the platforms (consoles) are shrinking?
The ONLY growth in game platforms is in graphics cards.
Consoles sales have shrunk astronomically, which you can provide no explanation for as have pre-packaged PC's.

What you confuse "growth" is inner industry trade.

For example minecraft only ever sold 40 million worth of units.
However Microsoft bought them for 2.5 billion.
Meaning that if you used the same logic those papers make then Minecraft SOLD 2.9 BILLION worth of product.
Not 40 million worth with a 2.5 billion dollar purchase.

This is the same tactic that silicon valley uses to overvalue their shares.

Consoles aren't the entirety of the industry, mobile is probably bigger than PS at this point. inb4 "mobile isn't gaymen 'cause muh 'pinion"

While you can use minecraft as an example while being the most expensive game in history what do you think the ROI is on something like candy crush or pokemon go?

If the growth of the industry is due to mobile that only proves my argument as it would mean the traditional industry is dying due to mobile competition.

To add to my Minecraft point I will bring up Pokemon Go.
They have actually failed to gain a steady profit.
businessinsider.com/pokemon-go-is-losing-paying-players-2016-9

There has been a decrease of nearly 80% in game purchases and when the flavor of the month is forgotten what happens?
The high evaluations and runaway first week profits are a symptom of a crash not a negation of it.
We are in the phase where you don't need to make a quality product just market it, but we are seeing us enter phase 3, you don't even need to sell the product just give the illusion of success.
Which is the current state of the Tech bubble.

Pokemon Go will probably never make what it's projected to make, however that's what its valued so if its traded at that amount it will scream success stock will go up and years down the line when they are scratching their heads on how a company which only made a few million in actual purchases was valued at 20x its yearly gross, the damage will already been done.

Seeing you seem to accept business insider as a source I'll use it too.
businessinsider.com.au/how-much-money-has-pokmon-go-made-in-one-week-2016-7
While it's not steady it's still profit and a great ROI given the low dev costs and social media marketing.

I'm not saying the industry isn't changing as sectors grow and shrink but with , it sure sounds like you think the industry as a whole is collapsing.

Everything is.

My point wasn't that Pokemon Go isn't making a profit, it is.
My point is that Pokemon will be evaluated or traded for an amount it would never hope to make.

Again to repeat every console sale is down across the board, some are down by 50% that's incredibly alarming.

Furthermore you can say that its moved to mobile however the more then likely case is we are seeing mass trade of companies assets and stocks overvalued by millions or even billions that only serves to baloon stocks.

To explain this as simple as possible.

This is what's happening across every industry but its starting in vidya as AAA games are failing to recoup what they spent and consoles are going the way of the DoDo.

It's like Twitter

PS3 sold more units than XB One in Japan, can't remember the source however. Will look it up.

I get what you are saying but for dev / publishing houses it doesn't matter as they are neither buying or selling games. They are simply making them and taking the profit from sales.

Sure you will get some speculative investment but the annual reports are all out there for anyone to read and keep speculation in check.
I don't see a correction of a rapidly expanding industry as a crash so long as retards don't panic at that correction.

You know that most PC gamers play with a controller since 2007? The 360 controller is mandatory for many PC ports.

I really don't think you need to. Most people here and those worth their salt know what you said is true. A couple of weeks after release and xbone was only selling a around 200 units per week, if that.
Xbox has always done poorly in Japan though the first one did perform somewhat admirably for an unproven system the bone though, is a new level of failure.

sage

what are you, gay?

bump

Good fucking riddance, done over by their on hubris driving away customers believing they could capture a wider and wider audience while milking maximum profit and pushing political and social agenda.

I can't wait for gaming to die. Fuck gaming. Bring back videogames for enthusiasts I'm fucking tired of "gaming" mountain dew and doritos.

throwback mountain dew is pretty awesome though. i guess its the corn syrup that burns.

of course they won't.