How could the industry POSSIBLY get worse?

Well, it's almost Halloween, so let's think of ways we can meme this fucking disaster of an industry into the ground even further

Other urls found in this thread:

nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/index.html
xiph.org/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

two words…

More companies get bought out by EA, Nintendo merges with Apple/Google.

Pandering to tumblrites becomes rampant and every game turns into a preachy Neo-Adventure Time like mess.

You are forced to connect to the internet every time you boot up your console (think xbone concept).

I can see idiots crowdfunding AAA games. Why did Shenmue III have to go this route? I bet if square pulled the same shit with FF VII Remake people would come out of the woodwork to fund it up the ass. The only reason we're in the state we're in is because normalfags who want the "GAYMUR CRED" keep supporting these anti consumer practices thinking its what we like. Fuck this industry and fuck the normalfags.

Pic related already did this.

Clueless Retard: The Post

You're a dick, but I agree. OP had a brainfart during that part. Audio is already compressed, that part honestly did not make sense.

There are many AAA studios that release game with uncompressed audio to blpat filesize and deter pirates. This is a fucking fact

Clueless Retard 2: New Blood

Why do you selectively ignore good games and concentrate attention of bad ones?
Why do you cry about muh industry when it was like this for 20 years now, if not more?
90% of games released a year ALWAYS was shit. Greedy devs and lazy publishers ALWAYS censored games and put anti-consumer practices in them.
Nothing fucking changed, stop making shit threads.

Yeah, but it doesn't take up 100+ gigabytes, you dumdum.

Shenmue 3 was terrible since people wanted it for years, and yet it only came out through crowdfunding. And Square isn't crowdfunding the FF7 remake but I think they have so little money now that the remake will be split into 3 games with no concrete release date.

I'm glad I didn't know that existed. A download only code for a Wii U game, what the fuck were they thinking?

The new Call of Duty basically does now.

You forgot one thing; people have always complained. That and the fact that greedy companies have actually started using new methods to milk the money out of people, business has become shameless for the most part.
This is Holla Forums, where we have the right to bitch and moan all we want, we are not neogaf, nor any goon sites that shut down varied opinion. Now eat shit and die.

Why would you bother with that game? Why would anyone bother with that series at this point, user? For what purpose?

No, I was just bringing that up as an example as a game that now takes up almost 100gb.

Square is actually doing well, the episodic format isn't terribly bad when enough care is still put into making the game have enough content (I would take it over crowdfund scams and early access)

For $20-40 on release for the amount of content on release that's a huge waste. It was bad when Dead Rising 2 had a 5 dollar demo on 360 only, but that took the cake. Especially when they released P.T later that year for free.

Clueless Retard 3: Blind Loyalty

Ah, well, that's a damn shame. Most likely either lazyness or paronia of pirates. It's funny because to pirate the game, you need to buy a raspberry pi to load PS4 games, and that requires soldering iirc(I may be wrong). Chances are, if you've already done that, then you probably have a hard drive ready.

Also, take note, Wii U games take from 5 to 20 gigabytes now, it's not a wonder that a more powerful system would take 2x/3x that

20-40 dollars for something that is already being marketed as a glorified demo for the engine, basically just giving players the freedom to fuck around and check how it works out in different settings, while the funds being more support to the team than actual "this is a standalone game"

True Retard: Projection.

We could never get Space Hulk Deathwing

(Checked)
The NAG Alliance, like the AIM Alliance, but with more targeted advertising

(Checked)
Nice

don't give them ideas, this dark future draws closer by the day

Titanfall with map packs is nearly 80GB because of mandatory uncompressed audio in all supported languages.

I can't really tell to be honest because for the longest time they kept on saying "Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider 2013 preformed way below our expectations" As for episodic format I still can't help but be worried, sometimes I don't mind it when it's something like Resident Evil Revelations 2 where the episodes aren't released that far apart, other times I hate it where it's something like D4 where they release it and it ends on a massive cliffhanger with no mention when they will continue it.

It is a shame, but I'm willing to chock it up to laziness at this point considering with some games like Wolfenstein TNO pirates actually ended up reducing the filesize.

As for Wii U games, some Nintendo published ones were surprisingly small like Splatoon and Mario 3D World, which is a good thing considering the Wii U only has a 32gb harddrive.

I guess GZ can be viewed that way, I just didn't think it was worth a $20 asking price when I got it at launch, especially compared to other games or expansion packs that came before it during the 360/PS3 gen.

Why do you this to yourselves Holla Forums. I'd rather have another year like 1998. Actually I hope whatever comes out this day forward is actually good.
Some of us had the fortune of playing them when they were new & I need something new dammit!

Clueless Retard 4: Predictable Response

let's the meme the industry to crashing.

Were they giving out free circumcisions to modders beforehand? What drives men to such reckless kikery?

Wrong it's to save money by not licensing audio codecs. Piracy is irrelevant as those cracking it can simply compress it on their own and have.

Remember a decade or two ago when every game on a CD or DVD had multimedia logos at startup? Those weren't cheap to use and took a cut from every game sale.

'Compressing audio' sure sounds simple to a consumer but for a developer it's a legal and financial hassle when it comes to distribution.

So why not just use ogg vorbis…?

isn't much easier to compress audio and video effectively now a days?

"Love of money is the root of all evil"
-Some Jew

You're so imaginative, user.

WOAH NELLIE

Hello, user. I hear you've just upgraded to our Xfinity Gaming package, and we're here to install your service. We're glad we could finally arrange a time for you to be home during the process.

I see you've decided to go with our Cable/Phone/Internet/Xbox combo. Great choice, btw. As you know, you'll have access to over 200 games per month streamed directly to your television set. The package you chose, let's see… the Standard Package, which includes Activision, Ubisoft, WB Games, Capcom, Sega, Konami, etc - and of course our indie package. Game selection is rotated the first of every quarter. If you want to upgrade to one of our expanded packages for access to EA, Nintendo, Blizzard, SquareEnix, etc. for an extra $20 a month - it will require you to call customer service for authorization.

We also offer ala carte selections of premium new releases games once a month, at the cost of $5 for 48 hours.

What's that? No.. sir, we don't offer titles from Sony or Namco/Bandai. Mediacom currently has the contract to offer those games, and we're afraid they don't offer service in your area. I'm also obligated to inform you that as of the first of next month, we'll be dropping Sega titles from our rotation of games for an indefinite period of time until the contract negotiations are settled. We're sorry, this will not be reflected on your bill, but we're confident that we'll have an agreement reached soon.

Here you go sir, your new controller. It will sync up automatically with your Cable Xbox. If you require extra controllers, please order them for a nominal fee through our website. Please keep them with the unit, as they must be returned to Comcast in the event of service discontinuation.

Thank you for choosing Comcast Xfinity and Microsoft for all your video gaming needs.

It could get much worse
Also, at least it's not raining.

This is not okay.

Because only Linux users use ogg.

Don't give them ideas.

Honestly, if we're going along a linear line then anywhere between 10-15-20gb at the max is acceptable.
But you can't say that uncompressed audio and including (forcing install of) audio localizations for 130+ languages including African tongue clicky-clacky is acceptable.

Didn't even know this game existed

Only Titanfall. One game.

Yeah, I remember when the industry wasn't complete shit.

Because most of the popular libraries are released under a strict copyleft license, they'd have to include a legal disclaimer and publish any changes made publicly. You're not allowed to use them on the PS4 or xbone because of the changes you'd have to make to get it working with their system's sound is proprietary information you're not authorized to share. If it's a BSD style license you can of course, Sony uses it heavily.

Here's an example when Nintendo used copyleft code:

nintendo.co.jp/support/oss/index.html

Of course it is but even in the case Microsoft that is pushing the HVEC they went with uncompressed video for their Quantum Break game. Distributing a codec to play that compressed video in a product brings with it expensive licensing issues that can be avoided.

we're talking 2006, not 1996.

what difference does 10 years make?

Wolfenstein TNO was also big as fuck on release. As was Max Payne 3, although I think it's because they went with uncompressed video on that one.

when DSL was considered lightning fast compared to shit like dialup.

I can see people defend that actually. renting games for a few hours and not actually owning them.

It was also the case with the PSVita version of Minecraft

i need sleep

are you really this disconnected from the world? if you are too poor to even own a PC with decent storage capacity or live in the middle of nowhere, you shouldn't be playing videogames anyway

I long for the day videogames are an exclusive hobby of the upper middle class

this, poorfags have no place in vidya. it's no coincidence that the poorfags that play vidya also tend to be spics playing on toasters and shit internet.

you sure? my aussie copy came with both a digital code as well as a physical cart.

it was my final purchase before going CFW

t. urbanfags
I bet you faggots couldn't even shove your arm up a cow's vagina for pregnancy testing.

Skyrim was released in 2012
It took up 6GB on the disk.

Fallout 4 was released three years later
It took up 30GB on the disk.

DOOM was released earlier this year
It took up 55GB on the disk.

TESVI will release in two years
It will take over 100GB of disk space.

And I just remembered another example that explains why using free/libre codecs is a hassle in proprietary products.

The new Edge browser with Windows 10 took over a year to support the webm VP9 opus formats. Almost every other browser can take copyleft code and use it without issue but they had to create their own code from scratch. You're not going to find good dedicated developers wasting their careers on a closed dead end project and that's why companies like Apple, Facebook and Google publish a lot of code publicly and support free formats.

It's pointless to waste time and resources creating proprietary solutions to use free formats when uncompressed works.

Why are you still hanging around Adam? I thought it was clear enough when you were fired for tanking the Xbone's launch that you weren't welcome around these parts.

I worked at a vidya store and sold that same game. I had to teach a mom in her forties how to set up a PSN account for her son. She was as puzzled as I was by the fact that it was just a box with a voucher.

Oh shit, i hope i didnt just throw away a rare minecraft cart.

It's already started. The only thing holding it back is shitty internet infrastructure.. which may require partnerships with major telecom companies to help alleviate.

One day, you will never see a physical game copy again. One day, you will never see a game system again. It will all be streaming, and the day it happens - is the day that archiving old games dies. The day emulators die. The day piracy dies.

one day our physical bodies will cease to exist.

nice try suburban-fag trying to act smug, but no one cares. go back to fisting cows and let us true patricians play vidya.

That's a relief.

No, this is a relief.

Plebians.

The industry is in a better place now then it was last generation, as long as you aren't a console pleb
if you are, enjoy your interactive movies.

Everthing is always online, episodic with microtransactions that don't carry over from one episode to the next.

What is happening in that image? It's like one of those QUALITY hentai pics where a girl's knee looks like some dude's back.

Are you high user, or just baiting

I think he assumes he's in the bizarro Holla Forums thread

Every part of that man's body could be interpreted as an ass at any angle.

It's currently run, and ruined, by women. The only way it could get worse is if it was run by black women.

Developers realise that the industry is going to shit, and that people want games like they used to be, so they play old games and take all the worst aspects.

The only thing that would have made the syntax look better is if the first period was replaced with a semicolon.

This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day

Now it's 99%, and that's being generous.
And people still complain about that. Working Designs gets just as much flack for what they did 15 yeas ago as 8-4 does today, if not more.
Things have certainly changed. The industry went from very bad to even worse. I'm still not sure how they were able to pull that off.

I want Kojimacucks to leave

Shovelware could still exist

AAA games could still be unpolished buggy garbage as the standard instead of those being notable exceptions to the norm/laughstocks

PC ports could be uncommon again

There could only be 1-2 good games that come out every few months instead of every other week

The industry is actually a lot better then it used to be, but obviously Holla Forums is too underage to rememeber/realize how good we have it. The only reason the industry seems so shit is because the average level of quality is so high that there are less outliers to be noticed and people take that quality for granted

You talk like that doesn't still happen

Yeah, fuck quality over quantity

Fuck off cunt

I would legitimately stop pirating if games became 100+ GB with current speeds.

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!

but people would also stop buying them.

could you imagine trying to update it?

you mean 75% of Steam store and anything on GOG that isn't actually an old game?

We're seeing quite a lot of those exceptions from high profile developers lately

yeah, t-thanks for the betatesting ps4c-cucks

yes and you can afford them all right? :^)

It takes a truly sick mind to think of something like that.

libogg/libvorbis are both under permissive licenses. If that's not enough the format spec is totally open.

xiph.org/vorbis/doc/Vorbis_I_spec.html

Oh boo-fucking-hoo, my poor sad Microsoft chooses not to use this code because it's open source. You don't get any choice with Microsoft code.

Does the BS-X Satellaview count?

by getting worse it gets better

I don't how it could get worse, what I do know is that I don't want to know. I refuse to play games that are released after 2007

It does still happen, but when it happens it's a big deal and everybody talks about it, they are notable outliers.

Wheras gen 5 and earlier polish was the outlier and common game breaking bugs and jank was the norm and it was so expected nobody complained about it.

Except I AM talking about quality, are you illiterate? I'm saying way more quality games come out over a given period of time then what used to.

Truly good games used to only come out once every few months, now games of the same quality come out every week.

I didn't bring console war shitposting into this, why are you?

No, but that doesn't mean it's not an improvement over what we used to have.

thats always been the case how new are you

Valkyria Chronicles and MGR were mostly large just due to their video files taking up 20GB when the actual game was much less than that.

The joke is that those all are already here.

not true. plenty of them stood against it fuck you.

i guess im retarded

Admit it, you're one of (((them))) and just came to this thread to promote your even shittier future practice, so you can say in a later thread "See? Told ya they'd do it."

I'm curious, what would be better/worse Nintendo buying EA or EA buying Nintendo…

This year has been alright aside from Doomed, BF1 and Overmeme.

Well they need to make it compresseder :^)

Hillary?

That's some torturous alternate dimension tier bullshit right there.

Not having that shit is like the one advantage consoles have on PC.

and still using gamebryo…

>white british men always the villain

You cant be this retarded

You know how when someone dies that they say that they're "in a better place"?

Yeah.

/thread

The future is a dark place.