True Horror

I just read the FF8 Squallisdead theory and now feel really unsettled. It's not that it's spooky, there is something deep and cold about it, something hard to pin down and explain.
Are there games that ilicit a similar feeling instead of jump scares or gore?

Other urls found in this thread:

squallsdead.com/
please
archive.fo/HbPse
smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=6416
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the thing for me with the FF8 squallisdead theory is, when i was young i never relized it that way. Years later, after reading the theory and than remembering back gives me the chills.

So why's it scary? I've never played ff8

I love it when scary shit in videogames gets discussed without devolving into creepypasta territory
Any more similar stuff?

Too many holes and contradictions. Shitty theory.

Name a couple

Every final fantasy game illicits that cold, dead, empty feeling.

I guess you mean that? squallsdead.com/
Was really interesting to read. I've only played a few hours of FF8 but it was fun. I was just too young to understand the whole RPG mechanics. (Like one person has strong heals etc.)
Atleast i could read it and i'm not forced to watch another "Game Theroy Style" video.

Reminder that Game Theory stole this theory and tried to make a video about it.

Except the ones with Lightning.

hohoho

Still generic and cookie-cutter user. I suppose final fantasy is the only series that stays true to the originals.

I remember this was posted in a thread like a year ago and people concluded it's bullshit. I still found it kinda neat.

I wish more games tried doing creepy ARG shit but nobody really wants to anymore. Or maybe it's just not feasible since everything is found out right away.

If you turn sound off and don't read dialogue, then game indeed feels like something darker than it already is.

A lot of games from that era feel really foreboding for some reason. I can't really pinpoint why.

This is probably the worst thing about trying to do spooky secrets in vidya these days; with the most recent case being Undertale, to the point where the Dev just gave up on it since people datamined everything.
There's not much you can do to stop it at this point, unfortunately; even asking nicely will just have it plastered all over 'game theory' channels and plebbit after the first week.

I did like the whole thing Undertale had going on that made it more interesting than it really was.
I'm sure there are some ways you can do hidden ARG shit without people finding out about it right away. It's definitely something I'd like to do for one of my future projects, but I have no idea how.

nice read, thanks user.

is there more to it? Any links or findings? What is this called? Dark secret of mana?

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY

Watch the Sky.

Maybe, maybe not. But I can't help but feel that the original tone of the game was supposed to be a lot darker considering they okayed this fucking trailer for it.

Cool, I have a new background now.

I remember when I saw that commercial as a teen. Hard time convincing my parents to let me buy it.

Cold and unsettling without resorting to jumpscares or gore…

Dragonseeds is a monster raising sim but there is perpetually this uneasy feeling.

Oddly, there is Carnovores 1 which lacks music and there are weird left over buildings. Hell in a temple area, you sit around in it longer, there is odd chanting on the wind

there aren't supposed to be any sort of intelligent life on this planet

All those theories that these sluts come up with are so goddamn retarded and convoluted that they make /x/ grown creepypasta look good. Not to mention all of their "theories" end up being the same.

It was Squall's Final Fantasy all along.

Your favorite game is actually a fever dream and the main character is a kid in a coma.

This is not a creepy theory, something that I thought about after revisiting FF5 which I thought was interesting.

In this fight, you're up against Necrophobe, and near the end, Gilgamesh helps you. ExDeath gets mad and throws the two into the void, supposedly making them end up somewhere empty.
In reality, as we all know, Gilgamesh manages to jump to other dimensions, which are the other games, and he spends his time collecting the best swords from the MCs. Also if you beat Gogo in the submerged tower he commends you and leaves through the void. He ends up in dimension 6 in the belly of a huge world eating worm and joins the party. How did he get ExDeath's abilities, well he's a mime, he probably witnessed that ability before.
Anyway, Necrophobe gets thrown to dimension 9, and I assume he ends up in the Crystal World, where time flows irregularly and if I remember correctly, is like the primordial soup of universe 9, that's where it all began. He probably spent an eternity there, being exposed to crystal power. Necrophobe grows an affinity to the crystal, and vows to protect it at all costs. Then one day the crystal explodes and Necrophobe, who is now called Necron, is summoned. He remembers his old boss's goal, to turn everything to nothing.

I just think it's neat, I mean if Gilgamesh is a constant in every game, and we can assume he visits every world since by 12 he owns every sword the previous MCs owned why not other characters who shared his same fate in 5? It also explains Necron's appearance.

Man that was a fucking weird ass game, I remember playing the shit out of the demo on those PS1 display disc, and I recently downloaded the ISO and it really is just as trippy as I remember it, especially the weird OST that is like 50% sampling.

So is Rinoa Ultimecia or not
ff8 was shit btw

Dead bodies don't float immediately.
Getting impaled isn't going to swell your blood vessels. Large intestine is actually a very important organ with a large concentration of blood vessels which means internal hemorrhaging is impossible to avoid.

ahahahahah
ahahahahaaha
game theories are for faggots

While it makes sense in some ways, I think it was shut down through various channels. Apparently one guide said that sorceresses have normal lifespans (though how canon you consider physical guides is up to you).

I personally like the idea, and thankfully it's pretty ambiguous so it can go either way if you want it.

You're a game theory

Indeed, the OST is exceedingly odd, especially for it's time.

I mean, it's not bad, it's fucking fantastic, but it's weird and lends to the unsettling feeling of the game.

She was at one point.

>Ultimica take Rinoa for a ride and lets them carry her to where king nigger magi is located

It's giving me Osamu Sato vibes. I like it.

One on the back, one in the front.
It went all the way through her, after all.

Have some more.

Hate to derail a thread but I love collecting vidya OST webms, got any more to share?

That just means he made a clean cut. If anything she would survive that more than one that didn't go through.

Not to mention he went through her abdomen. He would have either hit her stomach which would fuck up her internal organs via stomach acid or her intestines which would fuck her shit up slowly but surely.

damn right I do.

None of the events in Enderal (A Total Conversion for Skyrim made by the people behind Nehrim) actually happens.

Your character drowns right after the tutorial, when s/he is thrown of the boat.

The in-game events are the light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel scenario for the character, with all major characters representing the flaws of the player. The final moral of the game (letting go) is the simple discovery of the player character that nothing in the game is real and that s/he is already dead.

Nah
Swords aren't bullets. Every moment that sword is in her is increasing the likelyhood of death. Not to mention taking out the whole sword.

This theory is stupid, but at the least it would explain why they couldn't just revive her with a phoenix down.

There are one or two other songs for battles and I didn't include any of the songs for the ambient areas, other than memory forest.

Phoenix downs only heal knocked out party members.

Thanks user, you're a cool guy.

I do what i can.

Also on topic…

WORLD OF GOO

Shit is just unnerving…

Mario is a nigger

Supposedly what kills him happens not that far in and makes a lot of shit make sense.

I always thought your characters just get ko'd. There's no way they can keep dying and getting back up.

I thought he just put one in her :^)

How come phoenix downs work on party members that are hit by death spells? Are you trying to tell me that instant death only knocks people out?

Fails at the very first word. It wasn't Sephiroth.

huh

It's an interesting theory, but I'd also easily believe that the writing just shits the bed after Disk 1, because that happens sometimes.

Examples? Its pretty solid, especially the fact that dead bodies do in fact float very well. Since Aerith sank, she must have been alive.

Probably, the terminology in JRPGs is all kinds of fucked.

actually it doesn't, because Sephiroth didn't kill Aerith, but then only the first sentence is right

Fucking nice soundtrack

I will get shit for this but I kind of like the theory of the 7 stages of grief of TLOZ: Majora's Mask, now I don't eat the shit of "link is ded" but I actually think that Link learned to deal with Navi's departure over the course of his adventure

There are no death spells, only knockout spells.
True death spells remove characters from the game and cause game over. Like the Black Energy Wave from Phantasy Star 4. ;_;

bravo

BUT THAT'S JUST A THEORY
A Hatechan Theory
Thanks for posting

There was a lot of weird imagery in Majoras Mask and that a big reason why I liked it, and you're probably on the money there considering that the whole adventure was used as a device to show Link getting over the abandonment by his last friend and just getting on with his life.

On topic of that game my personal favorite was probably how someone did a huge in-depth analysis of the Stone Tower,which really was my favorite area both aesthetically and layoutwise since it's built around being both upright and flipped over and the thought of falling forever into the sky really fucked with my brains when I was a little kid.
Honestly MM was a good example of creating a legitimately mysterious world that would probably be difficult to do nowadays most likely due to the feeling that you NEED to explain everything one way or another, on top of people thinking randomness is how you weird people out as opposed to the somewhat 'sensible' dream logic MM followed.

Not really. There's a reason why some people think game stories nowadays are really boring and predictable.

So is this legit? Should I play it? Creepy stuff hidden in non-horror games is my absolute 100% favorite.

Squallisdead theory has always been retarded. Same for the "Rinoa is Edea" theory.

Rinoa is Ultimecia theory*

I dunno, user.

Whooo shit I love that creepypasta

I just want to autistically overanalyze video games, why must these faggots take that away from me?

I just ran the game on a whim and what the fuck is the combat.

Every chance I get.

have we started talking about skinwalkers yet?
I feel like being spooked

spook thread it is

Great now I have to worry about every jpeg being a screamer.

One of the only Creepypastas that were actually kind of good.
and it still suffers from a shit load of problems

The two games that struck true fear into me are Killer7 and MGS2, and by extension, the entire trilogy.

Since this election cycle started, I keep thinking about those two games. MGS2 for the Patriots, and Killer7 for how it seems every character on your side is lying, and that you even lie to yourself as the game goes on, not to mention the historical ties between the USA and Japan that the game centers around.

What scares me the most is how much we're told, and how important are the things we aren't being told? Information may spread, but how much of it is complete? Doesn't matter if it's Holla Forums or the media, they each have an obvious slant that they hide less and less.

That and Killer7 has one of the best plot twists I've ever witnessed, and it still haunts me when I think about it.

Cuckchan leave

you did it, user!
you pass, you fit in now

That actually makes perfect sense for those games.

I still think this story is really just about the guy's friend going full homo and getting a mancrush on him, being spaghetti about it, really hoping some gay shit would happen in the woods or on another night stay, and then being depress and hungover during the car ride making him react odd.
Obviously, if it's true at all, it'd be embellished to hell, so this seems like a pretty good explanation for most of it.

I was legitimately scared when colonel Campbell told me to shut off my console

/k/ has a good skinwalker thread bumped at the moment.

we'll never know
it could've been all in his head

IF YOU HEAR ME 'FORE YOU SEE ME

all the women in the game are whores or rape victims

this is the worst theory because it means you can't have theories about everything else in it
like the aged man being an emissary who escaped the cycle but can't stop it himself

They reveal that scenario like an hour into the game, man. It's supposed to be just a generic "what if" thought that's supposed to hang over you for most of the game (especially with the high ones literally saying it to your face that none of the game is real and you're just imagining it because you wanted to be important before dying). It's not supposed to actually be the all-encompassing real answer to the game.

Fuck I love this one, perfect.

If we're talking about creepypastas, I liked the image at the end of MARIO.
It's pretty unsettling.

This isn't even a Silent Hill thread, faggot

Whatever.

Thought the same thing as soon as the story mentioned two dudes going out into a forest 30 miles from civilization.

Admit it, all of you went out into the forest looking for bigfoot at least once.

Hold up. I ain't reading all that crap.
Sum it up in one word.

bullshit

Possession is an integral part of the game already. Edea was possessed by Ultimecia all disc 1 and 2.

one Game supposedly had some dark stuff in it but it was all edited out. word

I don't quite get some of it though. The only thing in the game being evidence of it being dark is the lady throwing herself off the balcony, what is the children stuff supposed to mean?

I just remembered this crap exists.
please use archive.is/profile/lordxavierbritish/blog/why-sonic-adventure-2-has-the-best-story-in-gaming/87241/

Fuck.
archive.fo/HbPse

I liked SA2's story.
It had some great moments in it, even for a Sonic game.
The music was almost chilling in that semifinal battle.

It really surprised me that the game is lighter than what the commercial implied. Seriously what was the development like when the concept art looked like this?

Hell the last one is actually the cover of the soundtrack.

Holy shit, the first picture is the kind of stuff you'd want to hang on a wall or put on a metal album cover, and the third picture is absolutely fucking dreamlike material.

Thought, now that I think about it, more often than not marketing for a game is often based on either concept art or beta builds of the products they're marketing, which makes the theory of Evermore being a much darker game completely possible. Maybe it was closer to a Saturday morning cartoon but with a much darker twist, sort of like dark comedy.

Jesus preserve me full on Poes law here.

Secret of Evermore was a very interesting title developmental-wise, I do not entirely know how true the previously posted story is but so much of the material outside of the game itself really paint it as a lot more grim than what it came out to be.

this can be applied to literally any fictional story ever
harry potter
final fantasy
diary of a secret girl

I felt like it was going to be more Earthbound levels of dark. I mean the second pic is pretty unsettling like a Middle Age picture that was painted by someone that just had a horrifying vision.

Where can I read about the entire development of the game?

Silent hill is a story of a man in a coma after a car crash that would later prove fatal, having a dream about being in a car crash that would later prove fatal, having a dream about searching for his daughter in a nightmarish realm filled with monsters brought about by his subconscious.

Halo 2 ghosts spooked me pretty good
I remember we would have ghost hunts when I was younger in lockout

Fucking tumblrfags.

Her sinking into the ocean does remind me of that video of a girl dumping a tortoise into a lake.

Wasn't there an actual download of the hack with picture at one point? Found it.
smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=6416

That image reminded me of something.
I guess it sorta counts as jumpscare, but the boulder from 7th Stand User scared the shit out of me. No bully

The fuck is going on in that embed? Is it real or fan made pasta shit?

7th Stand User is a fanmade jojo game where you are your own character with your OC stand and join Jotaro's party to kill Dio.
That webm is a secret that can has a low chace of triggering when sleeping in that specific location. I think its supposed to be a reference to the Shin Megami Tensei error message that tells you to turn it off.

All the shit regarding video game commercials in the 80's-90's tended to be "edgy".

Example, in this FF6 (formerly FF3 in the states) commercial, Mog invites monsters into his recruiting office and kills them all with lightning.

Marketing back then was when all the execs were on hard drugs and wanted edgy shit to appeal to kids.

Also to get there you have to die to the true final boss.

I GAT KING KONG IN THE TRUNK

We have a problem…?

thanks for the real content, I'm getting sick of all these
THEORIES
pooping up my vidya game horror threads

Some urban legend about some game I found it interesting.

Guards in Skyrim also say this
Annoying to be enjoying all the sex mods and then suddenly have them repeat that unsettling phrase

From an old interview I read, Square Japan never gave any sort of documentation for Square America to help create a similar game to Mana even though they were told to make something for an western audience based around it, iirc. They were also inexperienced and just getting into development. Bunch of them got together with a copy of mana and played through while deconstructing it as best they could to program the entire thing from scratch for Evermore.

If you've played through the introduction scene, the atmosphere feels a bit darker than it does when it gets into the game proper. The villain has no qualms about potentially murdering a kid to ensure things get done. Though, this is all most likely a part of driving an atmosphere, to show that you're not in Kansas anymore. Hell, they even have a Final Fantasy reference where a character appears at one point.

I think the aged man indeed is an emissary like the player is within this scenario, the exception being that he Aged Man is what happens if the player doesn't let go - if he doesn't accept his own death

The Aged man might not be a Prophet, he's probably the Emperor. The book puzzle in his study says that pride was his downfall. Judging by Tealor and the glimpses we get of Empress of the Pyreans, pride is a very strong trait of the Emperor. And the Black guardian says that the prophet always dies after the Emperor leaves, but then again the black guardian is not a very reliable source of information, seeing how he lied more than once to get you to do what he wants.

To be fair, in Skyrim you had dragons constantly swooping around. Watching the sky was a valid concern.

Consider how the mummified woman and the Old Man are practically identical to the role of the protagonist and his or her love interest - being fleshless, the protagonist is immortal and will not die, but the same can't be said about Jespar (Calia is another question due to the black stone inside her). The Aged Man likely is a prophet who is waiting for a cycle which does not fuck up, and he keeps his semi-living waifu with him for the case that one occurs

Some of the morse code actually was fairly heartbreaking. I think one of the morse stations essentially endlessly repeated the message of a desperate father whose child was dying and in need of medication. And sure enough, when you enter the bunker from where the signal comes, you find his skeleton still hanging over the radio apparatus and a smaller skeleton with crutches in the bed near him.

I don't get it.

There's an old Morrowind copypasta which has the player chased by some glitch assassin. Part of the story was that the skybox of the game was replaced with a photorealistic replica of the real-world sky.

>Same can't be said about Jespar (Calia is another question due to the black stone inside her)
Calia does age. She was a little girl when she was revived. Maybe her demon form doesn't age and she could live forever as that. It isn't certain whether Jespar would die or not, since he was also revived and could have been turned into fleshless, but then again, both him and Calia feel the effects of the cleansing just as any normal human, so they are both most likely mortal.

Be amazed

interesting.

Might as well throw this one in the trash since there's "future events" that didn't happen. That's not pale luna either, does anyone have it?

I never could take this even with a grain of seriousness because of the dumbass fucking part about "running the game in DOSBox". I hate when people do this kind of shit in their stories. If you don't know how something works, just don't mention the details of it.

World of google. Your cookies, never deleted (;

It's just called doom to sound cool

He looks like a double muhfugging nigger

World of Goo had a pretty good delivery of "cute in the outside dark in the inside"

That second picture looks like an enemy from Rayman

Why is his face missing?

Is he related to the Giants?

RAPE

That's my old favorite.

anyone have the Godzilla one "still the best!"

"No one is really sure which actions are needed to hear the numbers station in Fallout 3"

What the hell is this, and why does it exist? Who is this for? I mean - just about everything in FO/ES - from script handling to dialogue - is handled within quest containers. You'd just have to find the quests involving GNR in the geck and inspect them. Then check the stages to find the circumstances which trigger the numbers station change-over. Like, just a few minutes in the GECK is all it takes.

Was this written just after FO3 was released to be creepypasta, is it just for fun shitposting, or an attempt at trolling console tards who don't know any better into thinking there's hidden illuminutty messages in their games?

It's phoenix tail btw
phoenix down was a shitty translation, and they decided to roll with it for the rest of the games

Also, no one is going to post that game that got progressively creepy every time you opened it again? to the point of crashing your computer?

I think the name was 'walking'

I know what you're talking about. It came from the thread devoted to the game. If you ask the webm thread I'm sure somebody will have it.

GNR can actually become a numbers station? I never heard anything about that or the morse code stuff that this guy talked about.

It's creepypasta.

I gotta say after dumping a few hours into the game and looking up the controls to combat, seriously why the fuck was there no tutorial? I gotta say while the music is great I'm not really impressed with the gameplay. All it seems you do is stay backed up from the enemy and spam reflector till they exhaust their special then deal enough damage to be lower than yours and then drain out the time. It's interesting but is there really any depth or variety past what I explained? It seems like a somewhat RNG dependent rock paper scissors.

Multiplayer would be fun though. It would be like poker where you anticipate moves from the other player and bet on them depending on the circumstances. There's a lot of depth here that could be better utilized against a player rather than an AI.

Also I feel like this is a game that could benefit heavily with a story. Something like a Neon Genesis vibe but more focused on dragons. It wouldn't need much, just more established characters and maybe a quest system rather than an arena one. I mean Memory Forest seems like untapped potential.

Overall I give this game a comfy/10 with a strong dose of unusual.

Overall the tone of the game seems to triumph the actual gameplay. But I'll keep playing and see where it goes. I don't expect a ton more content than what I got though. Honestly I'm amazed this game never got a sequel.

Anyone got some more spooky stories like ?

Nothing of a quality. All the good ones go full autistic and have 'epic' battles or satan.

people with ambition get recognition. its not their fault youre lazy

Biggest game example of people over thinking shit. Perhaps this wasn't even serious and was made as a troll at one point. In any case retards may believe this shit now just like the Aerith was a prostitute meme just because of the flower girl pun. The japs do sick jokes like that. It's nothing new. DBZ is full of name puns for fucks sake but I guess the idiots just want to believe in stupid theories.

This is no different then when movies make the good characters "sleep" when they die in many movies. Then the villains dye with their eyes open.

All what they did here was try to give Aerith a more honorable death to get an emotion out of the player. They aren't going to do some edgy bullshit like have Sephiroth come down and rape her before cutting her head off. Not for a character like her.

Only reason I even made a post this long is because it's a very stupid theory that some retards out there might actually believe.

Especially with shitty gaming youtube channels that normans like like this.

this is a pretty classic one

Hi game theory. Still mad about FNAF?

i dont know what youre talking about maybe you should just drop it before something bad happens

Anyone got that shit with the images that /x/ was freaking out about where some entity was "I am god" or something? I remember it being pretty spooky

Indeed. Same with most of these theories. They're all a load of shit but god damn are they unsettling.

I like this story and everything but damn does the whole can't be copied thing make no fuckin' sense logically

Isn't the world of ff8 stuck in an infinite loop? Squall going to hell in the end was odd, but what if every iteration of Squall ends up in the same hell and now there's an entire town of Squalls in hell.

Kek, how sad.

Sounds like that Jojo book.

Makes more sense than the actual plot would, anyway.

So what the fuck is this supposed to mean?

World of Goo is fucking crazy with presentation.

Hi satan.

bump, I need more spooks

Once they start to decompose and bloat.
Kek

Bumping for spooks

IIRC the VA for three dog actually did a numbers station recording in character.

Don't watch if you're ever going to watch Lost.

MGS2 liked to throw a ton of insanity at you in the ending section, but in general the idea it plants in your head that you can grow attached to artificial people and believe so much in their reality only to have it be confusing and frightening when it starts to look like a lie leaves some unsettling thoughts about how artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and fiction could warp anybody's sense of reality.