When did you notice SEGA was dying as a console producer

When did you notice SEGA was dying as a console producer

They gave it a good try with the Dreamcast and i love it but that was the first sign that they were destined to drop out the race.

My american friend was telling me how he went into a game store and was told "yeah those memory carts arent coming. ever. shits dead" and that was that.

When do you remember the fall of SEGA starting for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

segaretro.org/Category:Saturn_games
please
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

-The Saturn being barely marketed outside Japan
-Seeing the N64 getting more traction in Europe and Sega doing nothing about it
-The Playstations massive success

thats sad man.

I loved the Dreamcast but the game collection was so low and the PS2 was so masssively popular that I knew they werent doing good, even as a child.
Handhelds were Nintendo dominated

The Dreamcast actually saw a big number of sales in Europe, I remember plenty of people owning one, but they soon dropped down, especially after the PS2 launch.

Its really a shame

and the home arcade experience died with it.

When Sony bought exclusivity for the tomb raider games.
The Saturn never getting a proper Sonic games due the pissing contest between Sega of Japan and Sega of America.
Resident Evil 2 got canned for the Saturn

In a perfect reality, SEGA survived, and nintendo died.

Do you even understand how fucking foward thinking Shenmue was?
No, you fucking don't, don't even answer, you're just another little bitch on Holla Forums completely clueless about video games.
Do you even understand how different "movie games" would be today if we kept going and refining that shit DAY ONE after Shenmue making sure the gameplay part was nailed down before moving fowards?
If we estabilished ground rules and required features like other genres?
Do you have any idea how fucking good games like Yakuza would be today if we focused on improving the core design from day one?

No, you don't.
You don't know shit about video games, you just like the "idea" of the dreamcast and SEGA, you have no fucking clue what the dreamcast was actually starting to accomplish and what it would've ment for us all moving foward.
You think i'm mad?
Goddamn right i'm mad, i'm absolutely livid, we could be living in an alternate reality right now where movie games have a good cinematic side, AND excellent gameplay at the same time, right now.
Instead you were too fucking dumb, and casuals were too fucking shallow, so we're left with the worst of both worlds.

You don't understand, i could SEE IT.
I could actually SEE THE FUTURE SHAPING differently back then, we were so fucking close to a completely different timeline, and every single one of you fucked it up and now we're stuck in this shithole.
Fuck you all, seriously, we were -this- close to it.

Europoor here.
Sega and Nintendo suddenly stopped existing in 1995, when the Playstation appeared. Every dudebro and his mother suddenly had one.
Playstation became the new word for "game console".
Most people didn't even know the Saturn existed and I personally never heard of the Dreamcast until visiting Holla Forums for the first time.
When Nintendo showed the N64 in 1996, it was laughed at.
Nobody gave a fuck about Sega franchises. Tomb Raider tits it was.

For me the sign of death was when the Saturn titles were relegated to the FAR corner of the Toys R Us 'slip' wall. For the unfamiliar, here's a photo of what the arrangement looked like.

Plus, there was the real issue of no one my age actually having one. We all knew about Sonic and still played the Genesis games, but that was the full extent. Strangely enough, the local TRU still had Genesis games available into late 1998 while the Saturn's presence reduced to unsold copies of Madden and NHL 98.

The Dreamcast DID make an impact, but so many people had picked a side in the 'PS1 Vs. N64' war on the school yard to even consider it. Any ground Sega MIGHT have had was lost in the Pokemon boom.

When the first and only time i ever saw a saturn IRL was at a toysrus. it had sonic R playing and the controller didn't work for shit.

It sold more software than the Xbox, and it was a hundred bucks.

I…I haven't even played those games, user.

I never knew that, no wonder people though that shit was exclusive to it when PC versions of it existed.

So much this
I remember it mostly being bought by rich kids
But it was indeed rare

Who gives a fuck?
Gamecube was pretty shit even if its hardware was good.
It never got the proper Nintendo support and just like the WiiU they were too busy selling handhelds to give a fuck.

Then get to it chucklefuck

Shenmue was boring garbage and cinematic "experiences" like it and MGS are pure fucking cancer.

>>>/out/

The difference is the gamecube actually had third party support that wasn't shovelware.

Sonic was still popular and wasn't the laughing stock it is today back then.

They fucked up royally by by not having a Sonic game for the Saturn. There were high hopes for Sonic Xtreme but we all know how that ended.
Then Maria 64 came along to rub it in Sega's face that their flagship console did not have a proper game with their most popular mascot while Nintendo did. Fuck people are still still creaming their pants over Mario 64 to this day while people barely remember any of the Saturn games.

The only thing Sega has to blame for this is itself.

Predictable.

hl is le cinematic meme needs to die

sega didn't need a sonic game for the saturn, it just needed to push its japanese games. the game library is about twice as big as the n64.

Sega paid Eidos for timed exclusivity for the first Tomb Raider. Sony returned the favour by buying exclusivity altogether.

Shit was pretty cut throat back in the day.

True enough, I still remember playing Rayman 3 and Resident Evil 4 with no framedrops and better textures and resolution.

Its a pasta

WEW

Sure
Not really, just needed to market the damn thing, which they did not, not a single bit
I only knew the Saturn existed in 2002.

At least there were still good games being made and both devs and publishers took risks.

Really it just needed JRPGs, as that was the big fad at the time, too bad the jew in charge didn't see the value of them, and let their big shit like Lunar and Grandia go to playstation.

Holla Forumsirgins do. Normalfags just did

yes, Sega had a lot of management issues at the time, especially in America. It could have pushed the ridiculous number of absolutely excellent shmups the system had, but instead it insisted on three dirty dwarves, the tremendous strategy games like dragon force 1 & 2, the saturn had a ridiculous game library and a really consistent stream of games, and it's absurd how neglected they were in the west by sega themselves.

February 1996, I notice no kiosk in my home town is getting the new issue of the Sega magazine I used to buy. Few weeks later, I read in another magazine made by the same editorial that their Sega magazine will no longer be published due to low sales.

Yeah, from that moment on, I knew Sega was fucked.

test

A broken kiosk is not the consoles problem you retard.

Nope, the Cube last place 6th gen.

At least the UK based Sega Saturn Magazine lasted for a while. They sure as shit did a better job trying to sell the Saturn than Sega themselves ever did.

god i miss the 90's

You and me both user

Didn't help that they pushed away working designs, who despite your opinions on their RPGs, did a decent job on shooters and were set to publish quite a few of those shumps on the saturn.

In hardware sales, not software. People bought more xbox consoles sure, but that doesn't matter when the only games they pretty much buy on it is Halo/2 and fable.

I miss it so much, youngfags dont know what they missed and think its just nostalgia.

Just a reminder that had SoJ's CEO didn't gain an eternal grudge towards SoA because SoA was doing better than them and had they not went fully blind with their WHAITU PIGGU GOH HOMU shenanigans, they wouldn't have done at least half the stupid shit they did in the past, and they'd prob. still be around as a console player on the market whilst Mario vs. Sanic would have continued to this day.

no, there was a lot of problems with sega and that was only a small part of the issue

I just wish SJWs would die a horrible violent death, who gives a shit if niggers or frat fucks buy an xbox, most of them don't play anything more than NBA and Madden(though i've seen some play DoA and DoA beach Volleyball for some reason…)

you're really out of date if you think moeblobs have been relevant at all for years

user, sweet thing, i want you to sit down.

K-on was like 8 years ago. Moeblobs are over. Its all about THICC now.

Moeblobs are all over the place and have troughtly ruined anime.
Just look at shit like Umaru
Doesnt stop Kyoto from pumping shit like Chuunibyou out.
Fortunately theres some good shit, but its buried underneath a sea of seasonal shit.
More please

I'd honestly say let him be delusional, his perpetual butthurt is hilarious

Sometimes i forget Holla Forums is pretty much composed of people that don't know shit about anything/don't keep up with anythinga side vidya.
Except they don't even keep up with vidya or play video games.
Why are you even still alive?

umaru is chibi, moreblob is normal proportions but with an uneven slightly melted sillouette.

Or waifus, whatever the fuck they're calling shit like Idolmaster, persona or nu-fire emblem now.

you know kyoani is just one studio, right?

nigger it's all about ln adaptations you fucking imbecile, you are like 5 years out of date you fucking dunce

fug.

Nigger, look at all this garbage
Theres liike 6 shows that arent complete otaku pandering trash.

And then changing them to fit the beta otaku faggots that watch them.
Parasyte pissed me off so much that I dropped it midway.
He went from an average lazy guy to a depressed little cunt because muh Shinjii.

When i remember that the Lucky Star anime is almost 10 years old i feel really goddamn old.

I'm ok with this, I prefer original productions and so far flip flappers has been one of the best things in a long time

Thanks Codemonkey

You certainly needed a big pair to keep a Sega Saturn magazine alive in a PAL territory, when it was already official that the Saturn would be no longer getting games in the West. Their last issues were practically all about what what's going on in Japan. Quite admirable.

Good times indeed. But look at the bright side, at least we had the opportunity to enjoy some faggotry-free years between the religious puritannical era and the current feminut one.

>Saturn was the original nogamestation
No need to look further than that ,simple arithmetic provides an accurate answer ; it's a pity too because i remember it took a few good titles down with it ; It's almost poetic that so many years later the same thing happens to the console that took Saturn's place in the market
also no backwards compatibility

You think you got it bad?
Then again, it would probably be Berserk tier since anything besides DBZ tier shonen thats not light hearted with 10 waifus doesnt sell anymore.
Its probably better this way.

When I remember Lucky Star I feel really goddamned depressed

You should check out [WOMBS]

saturn has more games than n64, about twice as many

Aye, thanks looks pretty good
How are the anime adaptations of Terraformars and Gantz?

The good old days where the more you played with the middle character in Fighters Megamix the less clothing she had in that CG.

I actually called Sega back in the day to ask them if the Saturn would play Mega CD games and was pretty pissed to learn that it didn't

garbo

I got a Saturn promotional VHS tape in the mail and remember being incredibly hyped for it. Then it just… never really showed up on store shelves, and all anybody could talk about was Playstation and rumors of a Nintendo machine.

It wasn't a slow gradual decline into obscurity. They dropped off a fucking cliff and disappeared into the mists of the valley below. Very rarely did I ever see anybody who had one, and they never had any games for it. Sega wasn't even on my radar until I saw the Sega Mobile Assault Vehicle at OzzFest pimping the Dreamcast - and one of the headlining bands took a break in the middle of the show to play DoA 2 on the jumbo stage screens.

Goddamned that was a beautiful sight to see Sega come out swinging again one last time.

Didn't they send a guy in a Sonic the Hedgehog costume around at E3 in 2000/2001 to harass the Sony booth and barbecued little bandicoot mock-ups on a grill outside the show?

It doesn't matter when I noticed, it matters who is to blame. Sega of America is pretty much 100% at fault for being retarded as fuck. They were shit then, they are shit now and I really wish they just kill themselves out of shame already.

S'ALL I WANT
S'ALL I WANT
S'ALL I WANT
S'ALL I WAAAAAAANT

Where are these morbidly obese bitches aside from those forced "plus-size" models everyone makes fun of?

Everytime

Where did you get that info? Segaretro says that Japan alone got more than 1000 games.

segaretro.org/Category:Saturn_games

The 80's is better. You must be one looonely fucker to think 90's was better because of some video game memorabilia and half naked early cgi models

Most vidya until the mid 00s 2007 was aight
Fuckoff

I'm just talking in general for entertainment, music(and does that really influence an entire era), fashion, movies, party life, outside life, ect the 80's shit on the 90's

Really the 90's if you were so much of a faggot you only played video games and stayed inside watching cartoons. That's literally the only reason the 90's gets obsessed over and that's pretty sad

yeah , but Nintendo was always the exception ; both the Saturn and the Ps1 utilised CDs while the N64 stubbornly insisted using cartridges.By all accounts it should've failed but the Nintendo fanboys are the best example of what it means to be a true fanboy corporate dick-sucking cancer of the gaming industry that would rather die than change systems

Kill me

Fucking delusional.

There was the problem of precision with tracking points in 3d space in early hardware, then there was Playstation.

Kinda sad to see after all these years there are still people think Playstation rendering was anything but vomit inducing.

I take it back those were good for 1990-1995 but it got faggy 1995 and after and I'm not taking that back

jiji pls go back 2 /mu/

Perfect yet depressing greentext of the current state of vidja.

Back then we called SJWs emo's and kicked their asses if they got too annoying. I blame social media for empowering those faggots.

Its the old 'enabeling circlejerk of reinforcement in a vaccum' scenario.

Didn't have daiperfursuit scat fetish juagglo meetings before the internet.

Not really. The Saturn was flat out snubbed by most major box retailers in America because of the botched launch and exclusivity deals some of their competitors cut. Couple that with "No Gaemz" because to keep the E3 announcement/launch under wraps - very few devs had access to dev kits in enough time. Being $100 more than the PS was just icing on the cake.

The Saturn dropping off the map so permanently so early on in the western markets couldn't have come at a worse time, because Sega was still heavily invested in the Arcade side of game development - and the Arcade market had pretty much collapsed everywhere outside of Japan.

The infighting didn't help, but Sega only had one really good generation of hardware dominance to build their home empire out of - and it just wasn't enough to carry them through a generation of releasing what was in effect a Japanese only console.

True enough, but the same could be said about past generations.
The 50s and 60s is where most of these influencial works came from, relative to the 70s which was kind of stagnant with some exceptions, the 80s were indeed great in terms of entertainment thanks to a bigger budget coming their way from bigger family incomes that spiked thanks to Reagans policies.

Where did I mention anything about the 90's or the 80's? Heck, there aren't even numbers in my post.

Are you a triggered "religious puritannical" who didn't like being compared to third wave feminuts?

They were the same. Tipper Gore wanted to ban Cindy Lauper albums from sale because "Girls just want to have fun" was "abhorrent filth"

You had 90's pictures in your post son, come on now don't be that dense.

Yes, I definitely give credit to the 50s and 60s no doubt. I think 80s is where it peaked though

80s pop was gey I like stuff like prince and other things i dont feel like naming
they would of transformed my life if i was 18 in 1982

It was abhorrent filth.

I wonder if Cindi Lauper used to make that face while she was eating pussy?

Great Uncle Holla Forums shouldn't you be taking your nitroglycerine pill and argueing about TNG vs OS on your 20 year old irc groups?

I feel it.

If ever a game deserved a fucking remake i tell you what.

crazy taxi 3 on the xbox

maybe we should ask a jew

Hey Mark you reading this? You tight with Jeff right? You know, him being a jew ,you being a bad jew et all

What I miss is seeing hot straight dudes in lacey pants and high heels
Now only fags do it! SAD!

Does anyone know if this shit is easy to hardmod to fix PAL speed. I'm in PAL region but I don't want to play in slow motion

Go read part 5

Yeah, I remember when trannies made the best music instead of just whining about oppression on Tumblr.

Its 2016, get with the times

So you're an actual homo? Don't worry honey, my post was strictly vidya related. I promise I won't shit in your faggy pop.

Homo or not, he was definitly triggered

Eat part 5

I just said pop was gay

What am I supposed to be triggered about?

This was the beginning of the end

I fucking hated that series when it came out. Seriously 2000-2010 was terrible

I know 2017-2021 will be better already

Pro-Tip:It won't

You got triggered by pics from the 90s

Thats not Azumanga Daioh
Azumanga was actually good though
It fucking hurts man

I loved Nichijou!
Why are Japs such scum

How do you know? I think it will. I got a good feeling when it comes to eras. For example, in the 2000s I knew it was gonna be crap for a decade and some more.

Nigga, I didnt have a psychological traumatic response to it im just giving my opinion. You people really act autistic when it comes to social interaction/reading people

I think you're just a huge autist with an extremely shitty taste.

how does that answer my question you dumb nigger

I could do without a another season of Nichijou. The first half is pretty good, but then they clearly ran out of steam or material or something and just repeated the same unfunny jokes. The show rapidly gets less entertaining as it goes on. Just be happy we had a good run.

get a good CRT while you still can and get into the 80s and 90s. Bottle some of that magic before its too late

Gamesmaster was already anti-male, they purposefully redid takes over and over until the girl won then aired that one.

Poor Dominik Diamond had a hard life.

Didn't 2002 give 1998 a run for it's money?

Nah, still some good shows till 2004

It shows promise actually
2008 and 2013 were godawful years for most entertainment.

It already is
Pic related

2004 iterated on the ideas and inventions of 1998 '02 just had sequels to 98 games.

>>>/a/

>>>/reddit/

Im off topic right now
I think you're the one that needs to go

A lot of PlayStation's highly-praised games look unimpressive, even by the standards of the day. Most early games were 16/32-bit conversions of games from Arcades, PC/Mac, and earlier 32-bit machines. Square's RPGs look like they could just as easily run on 3DO. Even MGS1 doesn't make that much use of the third dimension.

There was Crash and Spyro, and Ape Escape, and perhaps Gran Turismo if you're obsessed with brand names and ricing. PS1 was nice if that was the only thing you could possibly afford, but you weren't missing much if you had a PC and a Nintendo 64 in the late '90s.

I noticed that SEGA was dying as a console manufacturer when the Genesis faded and they lost their market dominance. It was only years later that I learned that the jealous nip branch of SEGA basically sabotaged the company with stupid decisions.

The Saturn was pretty much a non-entity among my peers in middle school at the time, and I didn't know a single person with it. I knew someone with a Dreamcast, and I played on that, but I was never really impressed with it. I went from Genesis to Playstation and stuck with that till the end of the PS2 era.

I would like SEGA to come back with a good console, but I would rather they do it with the spirit of their Genesis days and attitude rather than the cucked lameness that has dominated them ever since the nip branch went wild.

Avoid retro consoles in PAL regions.

by the time the PSX was everywhere, you could walk into a game store and see a huge wall of games.
And they were $29.99, with Greatest Hits like Tekken 2 for $19.99.
It wasn't about any one particular technical masterpiece, for the most part. It was about having lots of games that anyone could afford to buy.

I know, user.
Sega tried to give us
Sega could make a fucking game about fishing or a game about driving a taxi mad fun.

You shouldn't have pirated so much, then.

the 32x. nothing about it really made any sense.

And you could pirate them too and everybody did it.
Remember how hard pirating console games was before?

I still cant believe Microsoft was the one that set the standarts for console multiplayer games.
Worst part about it is that many if not most of the people that use this board went along with it and actually paid for it.

Seems the console business is too big even for Nintendo. MS lost billions in establishing the Xbox brand. And Sony barely managed to break even after the PS3 burned through their PS2 profits.

It's amazing Sega lasted so long to be honest.

The amount of games isn't as important as the amount of good games, in which the original PlayStation was a little sparse, considering the competition.

Again, the PlayStation was great if that was all you could afford, but only a handful of worthwhile games remained exclusive and you were probably better off with a PC and a Saturn or N64.

Didn't Sega charge for online multiplayer on Saturn and Dreamcast?

No

Only PSO.

please use archive.is/articles/seganet-launches/1100-2625699/
I don't know where you live, but $21.95 is not free.

Yes, user. You do have to pay for an ISP.

You still had to pay, even if SegaNet wasn't your internet connection.

No I didn't.

I find it pretty good, that multiplayer fags have to pay.

I had AOL and then Pacific Bell, and I remember having to pay for it.

Well that's unfortunate. I've had several different ISPs, none of which were SegaNET, and I've never paid a cent for any Dreamcast game. Not even PSOv2 because the netcode was shit and I couldn't connect to the hunter license server.

SegaNet was an ISP, the draw being that it was a more direct connection to the game servers. It wasn't required. Not for Chu Chu Rocket, not for PSOv1, not for Alien Front Online.

And believe me, I played a lot of all of those.

PSO was free.

It was PSO v.2 which introduced the monthly fee of $4.99.

Fucking this. It's damn good that Nintendo survived if SEGA was intent on joining the Age of Cinemaplay like the rest of the manufacturers.

best meme

Why didn't Sega keep making those games? They had every platform available.

Many games did new mechanics "right", but also started a trend of completely butchering them and turning the entire thing upside down. RE4 was good, but it made the whole series completely lose its horror aspect and get casualised to fuck.

the PS1 had hundreds of good games. The N64 has about 30 or 40, the Saturn had about 100-150. I know you don't know what you're talking about.

mind you I dont know how anyone can pick a side nowadays since they all look like garbage choices. Wiiu still the best as I see it but that hasn't gotten any good new games in a year or so.

At least handheld market is still going strong. I wanna say they are going to turn it around but the switch hasn't announced any new games for itself and seems like a gimmick.

sega always was better than nintendo generally, those that insisted on nintendo at the time only had a handful of games

well most gamers back then were kids so having only a few games would have been common. unless your dad gave you a hacked xbox with a bunch of games like mine did.

oh hey I make those xbox's now. Coinops with 12,665 games.

What's it going to be like when they reach the Anger stage?

Nintenyearolds not welcome.

These, I liked Sega (I was a genesis guy) but let's be honest here,

Any game with an intro is cinematic now?
Most games were always linear, just because Doom wasn't (Level wise and up to some point, it's not like the entire game is open world, it's not Strife) doesn't mean HL can't be linear. Even then it has some open sections like On A Rail.
This happens in HL2 not in the first one, it doesn't have much and most of it can be ignored (Except at the beginning and at the end).

How many were exclusive? Let's make this easier, how many weren't necessarily exclusive, but certainly had their best version on PlayStation?

Not being sarcastic, but how and why they didn't do that with this guy's gameplay.

Other than the same "it's not Sonic styled gameplay so it automatically sucks" spiel I keep hearing.

I honestly think that they intended Big to be compatible with the fishing controller but for some reason it was removed. It would explain why maneuvering his fishing rd with a controller is such a chore.