The older I get the less I find myself caring about fast and complex gameplay and the more I enjoy games with a lot of...

The older I get the less I find myself caring about fast and complex gameplay and the more I enjoy games with a lot of story, optional content and choices that affect the outcome of the game.

Am I alone in this?

yes

don't be like that user

Idk user, the older i get the less i care about a game's story, i still enjoy complex gameplay but i try to avoid too complex shit like Dorf Fortress.

I'm old and I skip every cutscene. I like games like DF, Factorio, Shenzen IO where I can assemble something and then gaze upon my creation while it sputters away.

yes it's just you. When I was young I would enjoy low skill games like crpgs, first person shooters, rts, and other management style games. They made me feel smart and made up for my incompetence in other more skilled genres. These days I've had more fun putting myself to the test in genres like shmups, rhythm games, character action games, and have been having much more fun.

I'm pushing 30 and the only thing that's changed over the years is my tolerance threshold for frustrating/bad gameplay has plummeted, but I mostly blame that on piracy.

When I was young and I used to only play games I bought (or someone bought for me), I would play the shit out of them, even when I got to a part that was really boring or frustrating, because new games were few and far between so I had to squeeze as much fun out of them as possible.

Now, if I download a game and it doesn't completely WOW me in the first couple of hours, it gets dropped. Unfortunately, that rules out most modern games.

I can agree with this honestly.
The first 30 minutes of a game need to be perfect or I will drop it and never touch it again.

Yep. Game writing is permanently stuck at 15 year old levels so if you're in your 30s and looking forward to the next mix of social justice and dick jokes, or incomprehensible blob pretending to be deep, it's kinda sad.

I care less and less about the story, the drama, the fake choices. But little details like an eye ball flying when i shoot someone in the eyes, disarming someone by picking something up and throwing at their gun, hitting and artery and blood gushing out, physics actually being realistic, etc, it makes me feel like a kid again.

Im a guy that watched more than 4 thousands movies\animations\tv shows from all countries. Played all of them shitty grinding rpgs when they were the big thing.

Action games focused on the gameplay with the story only as a set up for an interesting setting with as little presentation\exposition\dialogue as possible, and good music. Thats the god tier of virtual entertainement.

That's not true. Especially if you don't play anything recent.

I can only speak for myself but I have found that I enjoy arcade games more and more as I get older. Storyfaggotry is too much of a bother to get into and is never well written enough to be worth it and I can't be arsed to get into very complex games since they become fun only after you've invested a shitload of time in them. Arcade games are perfect for adults with jobs and families.

I ONLY PLAY MATURE GAMERS FOR MATURE GAMERS SUCH AS MYSELF

Taste changes with age, user.

As i get older, i can appreaciate games that as a kid i would consider mediocre garbage.

That's why Destiny is so good. Story got nuked and all the effort went into the incredible shooting mechanics. I don't even play PvE I just crucible all day in awe of how good it feels.

It's probably because your a worthless faggot content to wither away in your skills.
Or a Competitive smash faggot. Thay hate any element of practical skill testing. HEY GUISE, LETS TEST OUT EACH BYTE OF CHARACTER DATA PER FRAME SO WE CAN BAN MORE THINGS TO SEE WHO GETS FIRST PORT.

it's a sign of low energy, thats why nu-males and women (the few that dont want to push shit) love story games so much

I agree with you
I liked action books as a child but now that I've matured into better tastes, I like the good smart books like 1984 and brae new world

It was the exact opposite for me.
Thank God.

Same here. I'm over my 30 and I enjoy complex games with little story.

Probably OP is loosing brain cells due to abuse of drugs and alcohol

I'm the opposite, not much patience anymore for wasting time not actively playing.

I always enjoyed well-written immersive story campaigns. I got every early LucasArts title for that reason.
Sadly, this talent now moved over to TV and vidya gets fanfic-tier writing instead.

Your reflexes and reaction times tend to worsen with age, it's not that surprising that someone older would prefer playing RPGs over Beatmania

The older I get the more I want games I can turn on and play for under half an hour and have fun.

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE THE CAUSE TO THIS I WONDER

Ditto.