The common man will never again be able to slap down a few hundred dollars and get a hold of a consumer-grade dev kit

I remember, as a kid, seeing adverts for the Net Yaroze in OPM and thinking if I had one I could just tap a few buttons and make a game with it.

Part of me is glad it didn't take a $750 investment to shatter the illusion, but I still wish I'd managed to get one.

Did anyone on Holla Forums ever actually own a Net Yaroze?

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2000/11/07/sony_adds_basic_to_playstation/
theregister.co.uk/2000/11/02/sony_sees_red_as_ec/
psxdev.net/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fun Factoid:
Director of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles series got noticed by his Net Yaroze games.

I wish he hadn't

Only the first game is good.

You mean Mitsuru Kamiyama? I was just looking into one of the games he made, Terra Incognita.

What minecraft mod is that?

Is it possible to play it with a ps1 emulator?

I believe so, it's how most of the gameplay footage for these titles have been captured and uploaded.

Here's another fun fact - One of the only major technical differences between a regular dev kit's capabilities and the Net Yaroze was that the entire game had to fit inside the PS1's RAM, since there was no way of running the game from a CD-rom.

This meant every game had to fit within 1.5MB of RAM (half a meg of RAM was taken up with the Net Yaroze libraries).

Making games today is esier than it has ever been before in the history of video game developing.

If any of you had the willpower, the brains, the balls, the heart, the motivation, the discipline, the knowledge of making video games, you could all have been working on your 10th project by now.
Instead all you do is shitpost here all day and blame everyone else, it's the "indie clique" fault you can't make games, it's the jews, it's society's fault, it's X thing being a faggot and so on.
No user, you are the faggots, you deliberately choose to never make anything.

Heard of it, but never got myself to care that much, because there was a shitload of vidya to play back then. And pretty much game development nowadays is shit with RPG Maker and Unity shovelware flooding the market.

Then make gaming better by making your own game.
Oh wait, you won't.
You'll bitch and moan some more, jack off and go back to sleep, same as any other night of your life until the day you die.

yeah easy if your making some typical indie game. not if your trying to make a really detailed 3d game. even the guys at naughtydog say they put more hours into one level then they did for an entire ps1 game by far

stop projecting so hard lol

10/10 ending top kek

Making games back in the PS1 period was easier because my mind was still young, sponge-like and information flowed into it like water into an open bottle.

Now I've gotten older and can finally appreciate what I had, it's all been squandered and any desire to learn is hampered by the fact that I can barely remember which doors in my house are push and which are pull, let alone work my head around floating-point arithmetic.

Sony proved the audience for a device like this isn't non-existent at least. Wish I could snag one myself.

If can buy a net yaroze on german ebay for under 400 euro bucks, you should be able to buy one easy and cheap in america.

That's because we have computers now lol

Well… Yeah. I don't even want to make games as a profession. Did you get a cactus stuck up your ass today or something?

Sure thing.

Uh OP that wasn't actually intended to be used as an amateur dev kit, and neither was the Linux for PS2 kit or the OtherOS option in the PS3.

theregister.co.uk/2000/11/07/sony_adds_basic_to_playstation/

theregister.co.uk/2000/11/02/sony_sees_red_as_ec/

It was all part of an elaborate scheme to avoid hundreds of millions in taxes that was in litigation for almost decade. They lost even though they were technically correct and removed the OtherOS option on the PS3 immediately afterwards. It's also why the PS4 won't ever have any software development capabilities.

They never cared one bit about offering a SDK to consumers. The only reason it exists is to back up their claims in court.

Why didn't you buy me?

Has anyone put together a compilation of all Net Yaroze games on a single ISO?

P.S. Blitter Boy da best

Getting a Nintendo dev account for access to WiiU devkit is easy, just not very quick.

Yes, from PS to PS3 they all had 'dev kits' or could be legally considered a computer until they lost a lawsuit. That 2.2% tax rate on consumer electronics was introduced after the PS was released in the mid 90's and prompted Sony to create the Net Yaroze.

This is a well studied case on tax code optimization failures.

Put the crackpipe down

Oh right they just willingly lost money on every PS3 used in supercomputing clusters for years because they wanted to help developers and then changed their minds immediately after they lost a lawsuit removing the OtherOS feature by pure coincidence. That sure sounds plausible.

Hey guess what, OP? You don't need to have a Net Yaroze to develop for the PS1. If you just want to learn how to code on a limiting platform using your skills, start with this, it costs $0 and then if you think you are interested in actually working on the original hardware, THEN consider spending the money.

psxdev.net/

I've got a console devkit, it's called a PC.

I think he's right, here you are pissing and moaning "I can't make a good game because other indie games suck" which you're wrong. Bastard Bonds is the BEST tactical RPG to ever exist, it's better than Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, better than Shining Force, and it's an indie game.

Just because you don't like some of the people making indie games, doesn't mean indie games as a whole are bad, get the 27 inch dildo out of your ass and stop being a fag, your dad is embarrassed to call you his son.

anybody remember the Playstation Mag demo discs would sometimes include a Net Yaroze section? Some of those games were pretty fun.

I did not know that, interesting.

If you didn't have a Net Yaroze kit I'm assuming that's the only way you'd be able to play the games anyway, outside of emulation/piracy.

Put the crackpipe down

fuck dude

because you take golden showers

Not an argument.

actually they removed the otherOS feature because:
1: a jailbreaker found an exploit in OtherOS
2: in the same week, the contract requiring them to support otherOS for x amount of time expired (an odd coincidence but okay)
3: they had less than one guy dedicated to OtherOS support anyway (which is to say one guy handled it as an aside to his other duties in the company)

more like the common man no longer has to spend that much to begin developing a game

Shitty software

When they announced the PS3 slim model that wouldn't have OtherOS they did so without providing any justification in September 2009 as an appeal for their the lawsuit lost in 2006 was rejected and they gave up on calling Playstations 2 & 3 computers to avoid taxes. I don't like Sony very much but the EU really fucked them over on this, by their own tax code they were both computers.

News of the exploit was made public afterwards in January 2010 and they then removed it for legitimate security reasons from fat PS3s later that year.

Two instances of OtherOS being removed from two versions of the PS3 for different reasons in different years. If it weren't for the exploit they'd have likely left it in the fat PS3 to avoid potential class action lawsuits.

It's a command. Put the crackpipe down.

The homosexual bara game? I see…
This is confirmed projection since we already know you like the homosexual bara game

apt-get install vim gcc -y

There's your devkit :^)

because when fucking 'amazing frog' is the most 'intensive' game on it, might as well give up

imagine how fucked up her skull must look.

That looks like it would be fun if it had enemies and collectibles.

Didn't the Xbox One come out with a patch that you could use to turn the console into a limited devkit?

The import tax is gone too now, thanks to WTO.