DOS Thread

What are some of your favorite DOS games, Holla Forums? I don't know if I'd call it my favorite, but I really like Sorcerian.

Other urls found in this thread:

gravity-force.de/
nuvie.sourceforge.net/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Master of Magic
Master of Orion
Ultima Underworld 1 and 2
Tyrian 2000
Wing Commander: Privateer
Transport Tycoon
Darklands
Darksun: Shattered Lands
X-COM: Ufo Defense
Syndicate
Populous 2
One Must Fall 2097

to name a few

Midwinter was the first 3d open world game I can remember.
it's set in a mini ice age (so that the world could be all white and grey goraud shaded polygons). You take control of different characters and travel around a frozen island to fight off invaders.
cross country ski to a mountain, ride up the cable car, and hangglide across the map to a military base to steal a tank.

I remember spending countless hours on Crystal Caves, Prehistorik 2 and Aladdin.
And I was scared shitless of the Doctor Proton face in Duke Nukem.

I'm definitely going to have to check this one out.

I've never actually played Ultima VI. How does is compare to, say, Ultima V and VII?

*V or VII

It's meaty and tastes good.

More amazed someone else remembers this game. Almost started to believe I made it all up in my head.

To add what didn't mention:

Star Control 1&2
Breach 2
The Magic Candle
The Bard's Tale 2 (the best one of the series)
All the SSI/TSR D&D games, with the Dragonlance series on the top of the list

And , that RTS game that started the cancer.

Never had that problem, then again, i use VMs.

Well you can always use one of the packages that has a bunch of games set up for you and a front end there are a bunch of them sprinkled through torrent sites user.

Frederik Pohl's Gateway

Not my all-time favorite, but no one ever mentions it. Well written with a gritty but not uberdark setting. Travel to many different worlds using barely-understood alien FTL technology that could kill you as an expendable space prospector.

Text input, but time only moves when you take actions and you can select words from a list. No having to guess the text commands from nothing on a time limit. Eric the Unready worked like this too. Was a good system for a slow paced, text heavy adventure game.

I miss the mature kind of grit we used to have in video games that died after the 90s. Witcher isn't the same at all.

Mac is secretly the best platform for emulation.

how do you even fuck this up?

You don't even need to do that much, dragging an executable onto the dosbox shortcut has it mount the directory and run the game for you

Hidden Agenda:

A little known game where a 1980s dictator in Central America is overthrown and you are elected as leader of the provisional government until national elections can be held.

During this time, you have to balance the ambitions and agendas of several actors including but not limited to: The communists, the capitalists, the bleeding heart reformers, the labor unions, the farmers, the insurgent half of the reconciliation army, the old dictatorial half of the reconcilitation army, A United States intending to meddle in your country's affairs, a Soviet Union that can barely help you because they're broke and the International Monetary Fund trying to get you to be their bitch for a loan.

It's a really excellent game for teaching people the difficulties of nation building.

Some of my favs, not very exotic

These have dicks, don't they?

Spread dem cheeks, boy

Despite that, this game looks really cool. Do you know any others like it?

getting old

Tyrian since it's the only shmup i've ever been able to complete as you don't die in one hit.

Nothing exactly the same. Shadow President is kind of similar but not quite the same.

Technically, you can support the old dictator's cronies in the army and become a proto-dictator but that will lead to a communist insurgency which you then can leverage into large amounts of "aid" from the United States.

Gravity Force

not exactly a classic DOS game but I just remembered this freeware title and was surprised the website is still operating

gravity-force.de/

I'll give it a shot then. I really liked the other Ultima games of that period, but I skipped VI because I always heard that it was one of the lesser games in the series.

Thats interesting

That's such a bullshit game. I loved it.
Slippery platforming and shit jumping-on-enemy hit detection.
That one stage that turns the colors fucked up. That treehouse level and hut level that get their graphics fucked up if you fly the hang-glider around in the wrong way.
The giant fuckin' ape with the cool shades.
All those vocalizations.
The backscratch of death or whatever you might have called cancelling your attack over and over by looking up or down.
Landing on a fucking moving platform with the hang-glider.

DOSBOX can take a path to a file as an argument and will automatically mount the necessary directories and run it. What this also means is that you can drag-and-drop an .exe on the DOSBOX executable or its shortcut.

Zeliard

I checked out riders of rohan gameplay on youtube and found an absolutely awesome death sound at 3:54 in this video.

Just use a 3rd party launcher. It should take care of most of the "difficult" parts of installing the game.

this shit is great, it takes a while to get into though. I could play daggerfall for the rest of my life and be content.

Settlers 2. It's one of the comfiest games I've ever played

bump

6 is the beginning of that fucking inventory shit.

when did the Avatar get such radical taste?

Master of Magic

Is it still pretty good otherwise?

Or just, you know, run actual DOS?

Why would you want to miss the fun that comes with trying to troubleshoot what you think is a software configuration issue, when it turns out to be capacitors ripped off of the sound card?

U6 is pretty good, especially with Nuvie. It adds a lot of modern day conveniences to it. nuvie.sourceforge.net/

I've been considering playing the campaign as at least one of the factions from time to time. But every I remember how much you need to click, how often you mush move the mouse and how sharp some of those movements tend to be and my wrist starts to feel a little uncomfortable just from remembering how the game plays. I guess I should try one of the remakes/ports/whatever they are.

My dream game which I'm totally going to make is a PoP clone with KoF13 graphics and more developed dueling system.

These were some favorites of mine. Haven't gotten around to beating them save for Wasteland.

YOOOOOOOOO

Fuck yeah POP was the shit