As a wage slave with a mildly disposable income...

As a wage slave with a mildly disposable income, it's really rather disappointing that the nickel-and-dime microtransaction model of selling a game is as popular as it is.

If I could find a really good game I enjoy I'd be willing to pay a flat subscription rate, but if the game is so much of a terrible grind on its base layer that it's only made tolerable by forking over $5 every other week to buy more in-game EXP boosts and chests/crates/boxes for "rare" items then how can it be considered a good game?

Why aren't there any modern game developers that reward players for being interested and involved in the product in ways other than offering trashy low-effort DLC?

Because it's not as profitable. It all comes down to money. As soon as people stop being retarded and shelling out money for shitty DLC it'll stop.

It's just a fact that pay 2 win games generate more revenue than sub based games, mostly from those termed whales. That's why it's popular because at the end of the day, that gaming company only cares about the bottom line, the shekels. Whether the game is good or not is irrelevant to them so long as it's making them money.

nice ID and post #

you're either a NEET or you live with your parents and have a shit job.
get a better job, OP.

You're probably too young to remember, but there was a time when you paid one price for a video game and then small cosmetic plugins were uploaded to the game's website to download for free.

Wage slaves earn more money than you think, /r9k/. Not much, but it's a lot more than the $300 autismbux you get through social security fraud.

You can be a wage slave and afford internet. Not all wage jobs are minimum wage. Also a lot of people work two jobs. Also you can get 5G internet for cheap without subscribing to a cable company. The fact I have to explain this to you makes me think you are a piece of shit who was born rich which, in many ways, is worse than being a NEET or having a shit job.

40 dollars a month is jack shit

Been thinking of getting a job at a retailer for some money during the holiday's. Which position would be best to apply for? A stocker, a checker, or a bagger?

A shagger

Every game made is a gamble. For all the devs know the game will bomb terribly because some new fad will pop up and everyone will rush to play that shiny shit instead of their shiny shit. When games cost millions to make, the gamble is too risky, so enjoy your micropayments goy.

>not torrenting terrabytes of video games on the city wide free wifi
Who the fucks even pays for Internet these days のヮの

B-but, that's not a real option user.

Kingdom of Loathing has it's own p2premium model that has worked for over a decade. And I've always loved that game and it's premium items.

If they can't offer that position, you can just work on receiving in the back.

But the biggest part of the budget has always been (((marketing))) and useless pantsuit executives due to a perceived need to pander to normalfags. Cut those two things off and game development costs could be back to '90s levels.

Bruh

They won't make a fun game because people won't pay as much. Why pay for more fun when you're having enough as is?

You too? I loved breaking the market in that game for my own profit. If you know what to invest in, you can make a lot of meat. I believe I still have 3 billion meat just sitting around in my inventory with another 7 billion meat worth of items in my store.

Because paying a solid price for a solid product doesn't reward greed and impulse purchasing and losing track of how much money you're spending, it rewards sanity and standards, things which are good if you're trying to create a healthy and respectable industry but inconvenient when you're trying to make fat wads of cash quick.
Despite their best efforts there is still a market for that, obviously, but developers are "discouraged" from releasing quality games, as that would make things harder for their friends.

oh ho ho.

You will be waiting a long time, my friend.

waitings not so terrible if you know it will happen

wew

Games that actually offer in-game EXP boosts and the like are not worth playing.
This is basically a thread you made to cry about your shit taste.
If the game is a slog and doesn't give you good items from playing naturally then you've just decribed a bad game that you shouldn't be playing in the first place.

Go find a game that's actually fun without microtransactions then come back and see if you can still complain about moronic shit like this.

Because for every normalfag like you that actually think about where and how to spend your hard earned shekels there are 100 mouthbreathing retards that are more than willing to spend money on garbage like candy crush and pokemon go.

please fuck off from earth

Flat subscription rate wont fix anything either. The monetization model the game uses will always influence game design due to pressure from publishers. Subscription fee & microtransactions make player retention more important than convincing the customer the product was worth spending money on in the first place, and as such gameplay gets padded & stretched out as hard as they can without you quitting.
The ideal model remains "buy once, no further fees", simply because that means that games either have to be of very high entertainment value, or offer enough entertainment & replayability to be worth the price. Games with low entertainment value will be ignored in favor of free flash/smartphone games.

The thing that needs to be fixed is the lack of competition.

The lack of competition is caused by the fact that most consumers are idiots that fall for shitty marketing. This is slowly fading, thankfully, but it still is the case that shit games are bought en-masse because of marketing. No Man's Sky was a good wake-up call though, plenty of casuals no longer want to pre-order games because of how bad it was and how little recourse there was for a refund. If we get a few more blunders like NMS, we'll see the casual market no longer heavily buying into hype, making pre-order & day1DLC/seasonpass no longer feasible.
But, more importantly, if pre-order hype stops being a thing, then smaller studios will have a much easier time competing, making it easier for games that don't rely heavily on marketing to shine through.
It is much more likely that most casuals will just fuck off into f2p-land instead though.