Do you love a series enough to buy different versions of the same game?

Do you love a series enough to buy different versions of the same game?

I was in a mom and pop game store and saw a 25th anniversary version of MGS4 for £2. I already own the game and every version of 1,2,3 and 5 and missed out on this so snapped it up, but remebered back in the day i did the same for resident evil including the saturn, n64 and game.com versions of RE2 and never do this anymore for anything but Metal Gear, mostly because there isnt really that many versions of metal gear games really.

Do any other buyfags share this autism?

Dubs

Now

Trips

Come on

Pohuvy

PS3 version has a nice poster in it.

Nice dubs

For the most part I only keep one version of a game around unless one is significantly better. Most of what I enjoy doesn't get ported around much anyhow, barring occasional digital rereleases. Of course, most of what I do buy is preowned anyhow, so I'm not sure if that exactly counts as paying the dev/publisher more than once for the same game, if paying them at all.

Not sure it count if you have to repeatedly samefag for it, but that's just me.

go back

Oh its not about paying the publisher, most i ended up buying preowned years after the fact. Its not a good goy exercise, just collecting all the versions for a series you love.

That unreleased GBC Resident Evil port haunts me even now.

movie

Nice

Yes.
I even go as far as to buy the Japanese versions as well.
I have just about every version of Phantasy Star Online except for PSOPC and Blue Burst because those are fucking impossible to find.

welp

Well, I'm certainly on the lookout for a cheapish complete copy of Wild Arms PS1, despite having a copy of ACF I picked up rather cheaply and the PSN version acquired in a flash sale. Love that series.

For the most part though I'm pretty content with just having single versions of games I like and/or are interested in (if they're still backlogged), provided the prices are feasible. Like when Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir came out, I sold the PS2 original. Not a fan of the push some companies have been making toward digital only western releases as well, since I do like having actual copies of games.

There's also the issue that for some systems with decent fan-translation scenes, there's no official western releases anyhow, meaning that if you pick up a JP copy you're not likely to actually play it (I have heard though that there's something for SFC games that you can store patches on and the the system will run the game in English), and if you do go for English versions are out there, you're stuck with pricy scalpers hocking patched reproduction carts. Retranslations are similar; no reason if you ask me to own Breath of Fire II when the fan retranslation is so much better off.

I managed to find the G.U games at about half the usual price. Found Volumes 2 and 3 for $10 each and got Volume 1 at the normal since I wasn't sure I could trust to be able to find Volume 1 as cheaply. That was last year or so, and much as I'd like to think maybe I could do similar for IMOQ, I'm pretty sure Quarantine is too well known a scalper game to manage it, and I'm not dropping money on the prior three unless I find the fourth cheap.

Fucking Namco seeing no reason to rerelease that series, let alone do an Atlus-esque reprint of them to make them more available and fuck over scalpers.

Shame we will never get a digital version like Persona 1 and 2. Got that turned into a scalper salt mine.

Dubs 00

Did it? I know that Atlus' reprints in general help with bringing prices down (I got my copy of Nocturne some years back for $15, but I hear that it used to be about $80), but did Persona 1 and 2 getting on the PSN cause all that much kvetching from the scalpers? While I wouldn't say that digital rereleases don't affect prices, or at least availability of physical copies somewhat (people trading them in and rebuying them as cheaper digital ones), Persona 1 and 2 are still among the more expensive games to get PS1 copies of (though they're at least not Suikoden II/Tales of Eternia tier expensive).

The scalper bitching over that one guy rocking the NES collector scene boat was funny though.

Oh the collectors went fucking. nuclear. They said "atlus is killing our hard earned investments!" and threatened lawsuits and fucking hitmen.

Collectors are fucking crazy.

Source? Just wanting some proof since I haven't heard much directly about that.

Atlus honestly handles things as far as print runs go rather well these days, doing somewhat small ones to sate initial interest and then, after gauging further interest and price hikes, are cool with doing reprints as needed (and have since done so for every PS2 SMT/Persona game barring base P3, Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey 1-3, and recently both DS Trauma Centers). Unfortunately some games they handle do fall through the cracks, but they seem to be more of ones they merely handled western publishing for and didn't develop directly. Also bonus points to them for actually pushing to get all their PS2 SMT and Persona titles to work with the PS3's NA PSN, which I've heard wasn't the easiest task to do for PS2 games.

Stop right there.
No.

Only did it once so far: Loved DDDA for the PS3 and bought it again for mustard race from gaben .

I bought the mgs legacy collection because I like how it's packaged and it has the animated novel.

faggot

Check this vid if any of you fags have time, its half an hour, but you can see that a lot of console ports had exclusive content or improvements, while today you only have limited-time exclusive DLC bullshit.

yeah RE3 has some strange differences between the dreamcast and ps1 versions of it.

For a collector fag, you have to try your game once then hastily repack it, less it degrades, but man, there was plenty of care and love regarding ports back then.

Buy as much as you want, it's not like you're giving Konami any money at this point.

Please refrain from giving Konami any money in the future.

Part of why I've refused to pick up the PSN versions of Suikoden I and II, despite them getting into cheap sales. I'll give Konami credit for being smart about it and finally getting Suikoden II up there, given how expensive and hard it is to find an actual copy of, but they've really gone out of their way to burn bridges to get at that pachinko and mobile scene.

Yes, it counts. Economically the payment is split between you and the first owner and the first owner loses access to it.
You can also share a physical game with a friend an split the payment. You're both paying the publisher, you can't just play at the same time.

I want to rebuy Falcom games on GOG just to support even more the company. Waiting for a bigger sale next Xmas, if I'm going to rebuy games I rather don't go full price.

Sales haven't been duplicated it's financially meaningless to the publisher.

Bullshit, a split sale is still a sale.

Publishers don't get royalties from resales, on their bottom line only one sale occurred.

They get, it's all going through the first buyer (the distributor).
"One" sale doesn't matter economically, it's $amount of money they get and that amount is split between people, that's a perfectly normal thing in a value-adding economy.
You know why "collector editions" sell at all?
You know that Chris Roberts amassed 128 millions through the existence of a market for used JPEGs?
Why are pushing this meme so hard, that market rules should apply to publishers, goy?

they dont make much sense though. a game can make all kinds of money, but all they see is the first week or month or whatever. theyre more concerned with trends than actually making money, or else they wouldnt spend so fucking much making them.

I only bought MGS3 and then MGS3 subsistence, but that was probably the last time i bought a console game too.

I do play its other version if there are any differences, don't pay for them tho

I'm one of those people who intentionally buys versions of games on vastly weaker systems just to see how they managed to get a game to work on it.

Different versions of the game?

How about different versions of the game, different consoles, different handhelds, different attachments for consoles and handhelds made specifically to play that game, spending 800+ hours of your life every time exclusively playing a new entry in the series, having an entire group of friends that is one-track minded and basically eats, breathes and shits nothing but that games 24/7?

Ever met an actual dedicated group of monster hunter fans?
You'll see some shit.

I bought both Half-Life and Deus Ex on PS2 even thought I had already played and had them on PC. To this day I still don't know what I was thinking.

Yes, I still have multiple packaged copies of Wing Commander, Myst, Doom and Mechwarrior II. More recently, POP The Sands of Time.

Only spend money where your heart is.

BROTHERRRRR

I'm not a particularly huge Monster Hunter fan myself but if you are in fact describing your own situation then you should be very appreciative that you found something that you can enjoy to such an extent with others and you should savor it while it last as much as you can.

I've bought MGS3 fucking 4 times now

same, and pw

Half-Life PS2 had an exclusive co-op mode that was only recently modded in PC a few years back and Deus Ex had a redone orchestral soundtrack and cinematics.

Shouldn't be buyer's remorse, unless you didn't play them or find the hidden easter eggs.

You got the 3DS version?

MGS3 Subsistence is a must for the new camera system alone. It's all another game like that.

Speaking of rereleases, maybe it's just where I live, but I don't know why MGS2: Substance shows up so much less frequently than MGS: Subsistence. I mean, I'll probably see 10-20 copies of the latter for every copy of the former. Thankfully it's not like Substance is expensive, but just something I find odd how it seems so much less available. I know MGS2 is a bit of a divisive game, but were Substance's sales that much lower than Subsistence's?

A physical Half-Life which works without Steam!