Synthesizer > Digital Samples

Not being a synthesizer is why the SNES's music doesn't have the impact and intensity that the NES or Genesis do.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/user-386122191/fullmetal-fighter-musha
youtube.com/watch?v=72J5FPCXSL4
youtube.com/watch?v=rtS_QBWX6cY
soundcloud.com/potato-tan/spc700-kirby-64-rock-horobita
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Only an idiot would prefer the fuzzy tin-can sounding SNES music over the glorious YM2612's tunes

Arcades used both PCM sampling and FM synth, so there's no reason to choose between the two unless you are a filthy console plebian.

Not on my lawn.

console war rule is the worst rule on Holla Forums

Fucking exactly.

Actually in my opinion a lot of arcade games suffered because of sampling. Sampled sound effects for example often drowned out the music (Bad Dudes arcade for example.)

I didn't say the SNES was shit or worse as a whole though it was. I do believe it had worse sound though.

megadrive sounded amazing when they actually used to properly, streets of rage being an example. Allot of the games sounded like ass though.

Doesn't the first released console have a better sounding chip then the megadrive 2 and 3?

I disagree. Imagine if DKC or Yoshi's Island was on the Genesis. Would their soundtracks be as good? Some games work well with the big booms and bweaows the Genesis provides, but some are better off with the freedom of digital samples on the SNES. I don't think there is any clear victor, although Earthworm Jim has a better OST on the SNES.

EWJ sounds even better on CD tho. Both systems were great, having their flaws as well. The MG had 320x240 but only 64 colors. The SNES had a slower resolution but more colors and so on.

good FM synth > good sampled synth > bad sampled synth > bad FM synth

People who remember the Genesis as having bad sound probably only played shitty American developed games scored with preset GEMS fart noises. But even a shit composer could make something that sounded ok on a SNES with a cheap sample library.
Give each system to a programmer-composer that can write their own sound engine, however, and Genesis becomes capable of some truly awesome synthesis.

The early model Mega Drives had the PSG embedded on the VDP, and a separate YM2612 chip.
Later Mega Drives (including some "model 1"s iirc) had both integrated onto the VDP to cut costs. Cheaper to buy the rights to the YM2612 design and stick it on an enlarged VDP than it was to keep buying YM2612s from Yamaha.
You would assume that this is why the early models sound better than the later ones, but Tiido (a prolific Mega Drive hacker) disagrees. The actual difference according to him is that the early models used better passives (resistors capacitors etc) for analog mixing and filtering. Later models used cheaper passives that filtered too much audible frequencies, resulting in a muffled sound.
Furthermore, he claims that the VDP-integrated YM2612 is actually higher quality (perhaps more precision internally, either from Sega's tweaking or because Yamaha had a better version of the YM2612 IP available that they never bothered to produce themselves), and that you can get the best possible sound if you take a later-model Mega Drive and replace the audio passives with better alternatives.

I'll agree. Some Genesis games sound really good. Some not so much. Same for the SNES.

I'm more of a SNES fan, though.
Super Metroid is another example of where the SNES excels. The OST is phenomenal, and I don't think it'd be as good with FM synth.
Star Fox is pretty good, too.

Unfortunately, I don't think the SNES had enough people using it to its fullest. It was easy enough to put out a soundtrack that sounded decent, so the talent pool was shallow and few opted to go above and beyond.

both are garbage lol they're soooooooooo old why not enjoy the sounds from a Xbox One?

starfox sounds like absolute garbage.

Try not playing its music on your shitty pc speakers.

maybe if Nintendo's standard sound drivers weren't absolute garbage the SNES would have fared better sound wise

Fun fact: the SNES had a 512x448 mode, which devs avoided because it seriously limited the on-screen colors and tile variety. A few games used it for option screens or company logos, and only RPM Racing (pic related) used it all the way.

I would agree with you, however Final Fantasy VI exists and prevents your argument from being valid.

lol nope

Let's not even go into the missing content on SNES

Because you can tell the CD music was based on the arrangement and melody of the Genesis music.

bitch please

Alright, since I've been curious and never got an answer. Someone explain FF VIIs sound to me. Does it use snes samples? What sound engine does it use? I've always been curious as it uses such unique music while being on a more capable system the ps1.

And don't you nintencucks start spouting off with your ALL AMERICAN GENESIS GAMES SOUND BAD meme

it uses the ps1's midi hardware and midi sheets. There's no proper "music files" as you might think - as there are on other CD games.

But it's true that American Genesis games generally don't sound as good as Japanese ones

because American developers, especially in the 90s were z-teamers who existed only to produce bad PC games, forgettable ports and licensed games produced in a few weeks.

Yes, but it isn't true for all of them you weeb nigger.

I'm glad people are finally waking up to SEGA's superiority back in the '80s and '90s, like how people are realising that NatSoc was right.

Vectorman sounds like shit

what Japanese devs were doing was far more impressive

You didn't even listen to it you lazy nigger lover.

Yes, but that doesn't mean American devs couldn't make decent music on the system too.

they did, but examples of this are few and far between because American developers are largely a joke. I think that a great American genesis composition is equivalent to an average Japanese one.

And I think great European compositions are equivalent to a great Japanese one

good goy.

coming through, best Genesis OST right here

Tim Follin's an oddball, and it's obvious a lot of his music is flat out borrowed from progressive rock artists a lot of the time, but it's impressive he got them working on the systems he created them for. To me this was because he was dedicated to engineering the results he wanted from the hardware he had, regardless of how much work it was.

I just don't think he was super creative.

Anyways more Genny music

I've listened to all of his music, and pretty much all of it is influenced by 60s, 70s, and 80s metal, pop, electronic and progressive rock. Influenced to the point it was largely just copied and recreated on the systems available. I appreciate his work but I don't know him for his original ideas, more his dedication to translating in a sense.

Have a higher quality version:

soundcloud.com/user-386122191/fullmetal-fighter-musha

youtube.com/watch?v=72J5FPCXSL4

youtube.com/watch?v=rtS_QBWX6cY

fug I forgot embedding was a thing

but yeah, Tim Follin can make some great music. A shame he stopped.

Post proof. Influence =/ borrowing or plagiarizing as you seem to be accusing him of.

I wouldn't even call it plagiarizing considering how vastly different the mediums are

kek

Playstation is said to have the same(albeit a superior version) kind of soundchip the SNES has.

So nigger what are you accusing him of? Wearing his influences on his sleeve doesn't make him a hack or not creative you autistic fucking dipshit, that's just the style of music he likes and wanted to compose.

Which is what you said:

The bass notes sound like shit, especially in the Item Room theme that starts at ~3:50.
It just uses a generic fat bass, and it feels lacking.
The genesis' synth doesn't really allow for more defined ambient noise while sampling excels in that regard, and that's what makes the Super Metroid soundtrack sound so good.

You can often coax better instrumentation out of an FM synth, but that only gets you so far in terms of overall sound design.

Sage for shit retro consolewars threads where nostalgia of the OP heavily favours their favourite over the system that was actually better.

Why are there never Snes was better than Genesis threads? because Snes doesn't need to try and prove it was better because it always was and still is.

Nowhere near as good, the mediocre songs sound much worse, the good songs don't sound as good.

It sounds more alien, but I'm not sure if that's because it's "exotic" or because of the strange tunes, if these were heard backwards I wonder if the Snes version would sound more alien?

And one more for the road

c'mon son, chill it's just video games

At what, being low energy?

Blast process it out your ass.

Nintencucks everybody

Not an argument, so in the mean time thanks for proving me right.

for comparison.

What are you trying to prove here?

I gotta admit the intro sounded neat, but dear god, it almost sounded like the SNES doing Genny farts in the actual song

Nice goalpost moving Nintencuck

That's just it though, fucking ys is one of those series known for amazing fucking music, even across multiple ports/dev teams, yet the SNES version still manages to fall flat

Mark the kike is a newfag from 2013

No matter what you Super Ninty fans say, Micheal Jackson work on the Genesis. Case closed.

snes wasn't early 4th gen, by the time it came out in say, America, the generation would be over in 3 years. I think the hardware and drivers for it just sucked, which is why so many games sounded so samey and even Nintendo's in-house teams weren't very happy with what they had to work with at times.

It's interesting comparing what the same devs did on other platforms that they did on the SNES. This is probably the worst sounding Cotton game, a series famous for its amazing msuic. The version of tea time it got is pretty weak too.

And now you are relying on a childish insults when i haven't defended the SNES on a single post of mine prior to that one, you can click my ID and check for yourself, sperglord. Gonna report this thread for low effort consolewars bait.

I was talking about Ys 3.

can you faggots stop talking about subjects you know nothing about?

go back to reddit

Not even trying now, are we?

He expects mods to do something.

So what you're saying is…"Its payback time!"

a console war that's 25 years old. What?

In comparison to this, this is what the composer Kenichi Hiirata was producing just a year prior. Not a fair comparison to go from CD to SNES, but I'm just having fun here.

sorry?

Cuck detected

You could post shit and contribute to the console of your choice. The 16 bit wars ended 20 years ago, it's just a discussion

He said as he downbaoted the thread like a whiny cuck

Case Closed.

He needs to learn to be Hard…Corps.

still the best contra game to date. 2fast4nintendo

sometimes you're an alright guy anonymous
Anyway, there are no drivers for hardware that old. Everything is just made in assembly, sure most people probably made their own tools to make things easier and faster but the extreme limitation of hardware requires assembly knowledge that no compiler can overcome.
In fact just printing hello world is already a few hundred lines of code

Konami did wonderful things with the Genny, wish they supported it more.

I know it's a CD game, but most of Snathcher's music came from the system, as the audio on the disc was just the voices.

I'll give you one thing, Super nintendo can definitely pull off the dramatic shit well.

Anyways, here's a canceled port/scam of a snes game

I'm doubtful since I've seen SNES developers refer to the sound drivers and that Tim Follin had custom sound drivers written for Plok! when composing for that game. Which is also why it doesn't sound like the game's music is coming from a tin can but almost as good as real instruments!

I'd need to check it out for myself, but I think the Sega CD version of Silpheed also used sampled music. Did the Sega CD have more sound hardware besides for decoding cd audio? I feel like there was a bit more processing juice for synth on there.

for comparison.

it took until fifth gen before cucksoles could reliably run arcade ports

Fuck yes they did.

Not really, it's probably just the CD audio at work, like in vid related.

I still love Contra 3 a bit more, but I can't deny Hard Corps is one of the best games of it's kind. Also we have to thank Treasure for getting Konami so salty with Gunstar Heroes that they decided to make a cuhrayzee 2D Run N'Gun to retaliate.

i like this rendition of Kirby 64's Rock Star on the SNES Sound Chip

soundcloud.com/potato-tan/spc700-kirby-64-rock-horobita

They probably just wrote their own tools to make the audio files used by the snes

the top-down levels ruin contra 3 for me. Only beat the game once simply because I couldn't stand going through them again.

I didn't find them that terrible. At least the first one is easy as fuck and you can complete it in two minutes. The desert one….well yeah, I kinda agree with you.

Contra 3 is baby's first contra. Hard corps will rip your tits off.

I've finished both, but I still can't beat Contra 4's second level.

You're having a giggle mate? Contra 4 has weapon stacking, that makes it the easiest.

I just don't know, user.
I just don't know.

it's got nothing to do with difficulty, they are very easy stages, they're just tedious and not fun in the slightest.

genesis sucked though.

said the meme spouting underage

My cultural enricher

try harder

try harder

Go back

:^)

first of all samefag.
second thing. stop being so triggered.

Greetings cuckchan.

all me tbh

Yes, that is the le fuck le my le shit up may may.

At least SNES had the better version of this song

the music is definitely better on the MD but the sound effects suffer badly as a result, listen to how much nicer his gun looks and sounds on the snes

this thread is making me depressed

Yes, but this is a music thread, and as a result EWJ sounds far better on Genesis. And no, the gun sounds worse as it sounds like sound beating on a garbage can.

each to his own i guess, I just think the gun, helicoptering sounds and enemy sounds sound far better on the snes

They really don't. Everything sounds muffled as shit on SNES likely because they used those low quality samples instead of crisp PSG/DAC channels like the Genesis did.

We have IDs here nigger. You have to go back.

Well Sony did produce the soundchip for the SNES, and having a purely sample-based chip at the time was extraordinary. The reason for the fuzzier sound is because the amount of memory for it was low so developers bit-crunched samples down. A lot of early SNES titles also focused on culling from the built-in samples to save space on the game's ROM at the onset, but with expanding size later in the generation meant plenty of room for unique samples (NES had this too for drums on its sample channel late into the console's life). For fun, find OSTs for SNES releases in 1990/91/early92 for the prolific use of the KORG "Seinfeld" slap bass, since that was a built-in sample.

I agree. I can't imagine the Megaman X series having the same impact in music if done by the Genesis.

People say the SNES sounds muffled, but I always found that SNES soundtracks can also sound punchy with the right samples

though this is probably a better example, just listen to dat bass and percussion

The SNES is also more suitable for covering actual games, rave-ish songs in particular

[muffled ARE YOU READY in the background]

for comparison, here's the closest example I could find on the Genesis

Sad.

Knowing what the Genesis was capable of I can imagine the drums sounding crisp and explosive with the guitar riffs given their full prominence in the song as opposed to everything sounding like an over-compressed mess of bland, fuzzy audio

I love you cottonfag

/mu/ says hi faggots.

/mu/ is for hipsters.

FFVII uses sample based music, there's no actual definite format to it internally but most direct rips are .psf which include a driver and sheets+sample
Fun fact the total size of the music in FFVII is only a hundredth of the size of the music in FFIX which is also sample based

You can try and deny it all you want if it makes your own ass feel better, but at the end of the day /mu/ is for hipsters.

That's like saying Holla Forums is for contrarians. You're not wrong that a lot post there, but you're outright lying if you're trying to say that's every poster. A lot of musicians and sound engineers go there too.

I wonder what kind of sound processor setup do you need to make a guitar sound like SMD FM chip.

For something "ravey", check this one. Composed by Information Society's Kurt Harland.

I, for one, think that arguing over hardware from 1988 and 1990 like we're all still 10 is retarded when you can run each other in emulators side by side with ease now. Plus, half the shit both sides spew is the result of marketing teams 25+ years ago, which makes it more hilarious.

Translation: