I have a question Holla Forums. If you like a game but hate the developers, do they still deserve your support...

I have a question Holla Forums. If you like a game but hate the developers, do they still deserve your support? I won't name any specific devs since I'm not looking to get pegged as a shill

pic unrelated, had to post one

that skeleton is from a children's card game you faggot

Look undertale

Eventually everything will be undertale
Humans will be undertale
Monsters will be undertale
save me

Poor thread didn't stand a chance.

To answer your question, I support good work and don't really give a fuck what the dev believes. I believe when Doug paid us a visit he told us to do the same.

They only "deserve" your support if you personally think they do, and you can afford to pony up. That's all there is to it.

Shit thread, btw.

Congratulations on a successful shitpost. Here is your reward.

sorrry I spooked ya friend

I feel you on this if you don't like them on account of their personal beliefs about whatever, but what if they're cunts about something like valid criticism of their game and the game is suffering for it?

Amusingly, I made that gif. Fun times.

Kinda depends on what you dont like of a dev.

If they have been known to censor, for instance, and this individual game is not censored then supporting it sends the message that no censorship is good and worthy of support. Same with DRM or whatever.

But if its the politics, be it a company like EA who have fucked over many devs or individual shitheads, then maybe not as its more difficult to disassociate the individual game from the practice.

Checked

for the millionth time, if you give money to bad developers who practice bad business or push an agenda in video games, just so you can have your few hours of escapism with glossy shit, you are what is killing the industry and the hobby as a whole. vote with your wallet. if you love this hobby, start acting like it.

Even the good guys turn to shit once they get enough of money. Developers deserve to suffer. That's the only way they're able to make good games.

If you like the game and nothing in it pisses you off, of course they deserve your money. Don't let the thoughts and words of others dictate how much fun you personally have with a game, regardless of if you hate the devs.

If their fuck ups leak into the game, then they don't deserve money. Simple.

If the devs behind Metroid Prime were full retard before it came out, but Metroid Prime was exactly the same as it is now, that wouldn't magically make me hate Metroid Prime. You can hate someone without having to hate everything they do or say.

I hate ubishit but I gave them $15for the stick of truth. I already pirated and liked it, and thought it was worth that much money.
My one hope is that buying the games I do like from shit companies will make them make more games like that, instead of the shitty games.

kys tbh fam

Croikey did anya see thes shitpost? CROIKEY!

This is the most naive drivel I see posted in regards to the shitty state of the industry. Voting with your wallet is only effective when you aren't surrounded by mouth breathers. I import all JP games to send a clear message that I support the devs, but not garbage culturalizations. What happened? I was the only asshole doing that, the culturalizations just got worse and worse, and the more the games get butchered, the better they sell. The bottom line is that a few hundred or few thousand people refusing to buy a game from devs/publishers with an obvious agenda means nothing when the masses eat up the nastiest, stinkiest shit and ask for more.

In other words, if the game is shit, just don't buy it.

sorrry, I'll post a waifu thread next time

I agree with the Metroid Prime example but like said, it's not always that easy. When I was way younger and didn't know/understand what went into making games I wouldn't give a fuck about the developer being cunts, but I guess somewhere along the way I became a massive faggot.

I get this somewhat. I hated what happened to Westwood and I know EA's bullshit but I bought Generals after a pirate. With that said, I understand the feelings of

The thing with my purchase of generals though was that while I disliked what EA did, something about it still didn't feel very personal. When I play a game, like it but have feedback to give that I know has been given from many other places, give it anyway and get met with snark and autism from the dev that i'm a moron and that nothing is wrong, it's frustrating. Again, i'm probably just a faggot but I wanted to see if anyone else finds themselves in these places of love/hate

Short answer, no. Long answer, it's still no. If it's a shit company it won't matter if you gave them money or not for their game. They will still be shit and they won't get better. You're better off just pirating.

Might as well be, they're both signs of incurable shitposting.

Is the game any good?

I like it but that was only after slogging through the many issues the game has, like having a pretty steep learning curve on account if it explaining itself poorly and a glacial pacing. These and the other issues just won't be addressed very much because the dev and his close group of yes-men patreon pals openly berate or swamp anyone with a valid criticism of the game with snark and passive aggression about how they're idiots.

I torrented the game, hated it, learned how to play later from outside sources, ended up liking it enough after to get it on like a 50% sale or some shit, then went on to regret it because of the way criticism of the game is treated. I hate that this is even an issue for me because it could be great. At this point it's a lesson learned but I wanted to hear other opinions on this sort of thing

It depends on what your reason for hating the dev is, and whether you are willing to lay aside that reason to buy the game in question.
Ask yourself whether the principles on which you hate them are worth more than the game, and whatever you find the answer to be, act on that.

If the game is good and managed to be devoid of some sort of ham-fisted message, then they deserve it for actually being professional in regards of making a good product
Learn to separate the art from the author if that is the case

No. If a developer literally hates you, why should you support them in any way shape or form?

Skeletons are always related faggot.

In 99/100 cases sure. The game is all that matters and the devs could eat babies in their spare time for all I care. The only time it does matter is if there's a risk that they might retroactively fuck over their game for monetary purposes. Pretty much HiRez is the only dev on my shitlist where I'm not gonna play any of their games no matter how well they're reviewed after the tribes bullshit.

The worst case scenario is when based devs get fucked in the head and start retroactively ruin initially good/ok game.
There are examples

At some point dev team started to nerf fun shit and buff annoying shit. People cried, complained, buy were told to fuck off. I have no idea why this happened.

Everyone's favourite Wasted Potential: The Game. It all started so well and promised, but then went to shit once DE became obsessed with money.

It was such cool casual fightan with amazing animation and sexy girls. But then devs went SJWs and started to censor sexy girls in a game about sexy girls. At that point I had too many hours in it to get a refund, but I boycott the game ever since.

Infamous orb girls fiasco. It might be one little thing and game has plenty of nudity still, sure, but it is a precedent. I can't trust devs who betrayed me once, to not betray me again. So fuck that game.

There is an opposite example too.
It was shitty game made by SJWs associates that was locked at 30 fps, had turbo-bad control scheme and plenty of optimisation issues, being a fucking 2D game.
Ever since they fixed control scheme, fixed optimisation and even unfucked fps lock. They're still SJWs associates, but at least now their game is legit good. Doesn't mean you should buy it of course.

And then there is capcom.

No, it's never ok to support the commies.

I bet you don't even watch beyblade.
You would know that that's Augoman, Godess of Rebirth.
Pic related, it's his mega unevolved form.
faggot

If you tried to abstain from supporting faggy developers then you wouldn't support anything. This is the current world.

That skeleton is from a digimon cartoon.

THIS
H
I
S

Yeah, I've bought Meat Boy and Bayonetta even though I hate the devs with a passion.

Sometimes, you gotta suck it up.

Well op, i liked Fez the first time i played it.

What the fuck do you think is my goddamn answer?

i think i found another undertale

No. Hell, making good games should be the fucking norm, not the exception.

I liked it too whoops

Yikes. We've gone too far boy.

is this an undertale?

Bad tim :p

h*ck off undertale