So now that Doomguy and Nuke Dukem have fallen, and Quakeguy's fall is comming, who's next?

So now that Doomguy and Nuke Dukem have fallen, and Quakeguy's fall is comming, who's next?

Not sure if Lo Wang counts with the last Shadow Warrior games

Other urls found in this thread:

chexquest.org/index.php?topic=5307.0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm just a bit miffed that for an industry/media/art form so young and full of possibilities, we're fully repeating the reboot/sequelitis syndrome of others.

The new Doom wasn't bad. I haven't played SW2 yet so I don't know if it's any good. It's a real shame about Duke though.

The guy from Strife maybe?

The new Shadow Warrior games are good, but not great. Just like the original Shadow Warrior, so I'd say the series has been pretty consistent.

It's going to be System Shock.

For whatever reason, we're emulating our older brothers. Tbh, I'd rather emulate books than movies, shame about our focus on profit margins.

It certainly wasn't good.

It was a massive dissapointment

Luckily, Sam is safe. He's just on a long vacation…

In what way? It had fairly good level design, good enemy design, and fun combat. The story was minimalistic and stayed out of the way of the gameplay most of the time, like it should. It had problems and a few things I'd change, but overall it was a very solid game, certainly leagues better than the cancelled CoD clone we were originally going to get.

To you, maybe. I went in thinking it was going to be terrible and came out pleasantly surprised. You guys are always so negative. Maybe you need to level your expectations better.

bad end. the genre is dead

Are you this faggot

HDoomguy, fuck off and go back to working on your friend's shitty game instead of actually finishing Hdoom.

No, that's not me. I wish I had time to shitpost like that all day though. Must be nice.

HDoomguy probably likes new Doom a lot more than I do.

Imagine.

I don't need to, i have already seen what they did to Lara Croft

You know, more than anything I'm still mad about what happened to Prey.

BLACKED
L
A
C
K
E
D

hopefully they will leave Tommy alone in the reboot

SW2 was pretty good though, not amazing but good

Caleb already fell with Blood II

As if Doom 4 mattered in the slightest. Doomguy lives on thanks to Carmack releasing Doom's source code all those years ago.

Apparently Arkane was given instructions by Bethesda specifically not to have any traces or references to the original game.

I want to play as my parkour expert space bounty hunter damnit

thank fuck, now it's just a game with the same name and not a sequel

Arena>corridors>arena>platforming segement>arena isn't very good level design. It wasn't horrible I suppose, but with how they did things I would much rather see nu-Id make some kind of Mirror's Edge or simple platforming game than a real shooter.

The level design is made totally irrelevant by D44M's core design and enemy design. All enemies are extremely mobile and end up in the same place every time, making fights play out the same regardless of the level or arena design. Imps will run and jump around, climb shit and throw some fast fireballs. Hell Knights will always mindlessly charge at you and go down real easy. Cacodemons just float around, mancubi are sitting ducks, and the pinkies are totally opposite to what they used to be- going from a low priority damage sponge with a large hitbox but will fuck you up if you ignore it for too long and get cornered, to a bull that deals massive damage and runs at you really fast.

Ammo/Health pickups are made almost entirely unimportant because the game constantly SHOWERS you with it, and always giving you opportunities to get more. Perform dumb execution moves every two seconds, receive loads of health. Get low on health or ammo? Killing enemies in any fashion at all will drop some. Not enough health? Have some passive rune abilities to get more and make enemies drop armor aswell. These can be upgraded to make them even more effective.

The combat is also braindead easy with it getting easier all the time. As long as you hold a movement key and can shoot, you will never get hit. Even if you did, just do more dumb executions to get more health. You are a fucking superman, and the game showers you with weapon upgrade points, weapon "mods" (which are really just upgrades), suit upgrades, and STAT upgrades which give you even MORE health and ammo. This goes to further invalidate level design as you can't really have any control on how much health or ammo a player is going to have and how to toy with them. The only thing you can control is how fast do they become a literal god by way of your stupid upgrades you placed on the level.

The story was also dumb. It played from the 'TAKE US SERIOUSLY BUT DONT REALLY' angle. It constantly interrupted things, if only briefly, and kept trying to act like I gave a shit as to what was going on. I don't. I wanna kill demons, though the game isn't making it very fun to. Personally, I think they should've went full cheese with the story. Just dumb, over the top old movie cheese. That would've been at least fun, as long as they didn't try to inject 'LOLSO RANDUM SO QUIRKY' humor like the new Shadow Warrior games are doing. I'll give it this, at least the writing and character dialogue is nowhere near as bad as the new Shadow Warrior games.

The bossfights, with the exception of maybe the Cyberdemon, were absolute trash and total pushovers. Especially since it just boils down to you spamming your most powerful weapons on them until you see the flashing colors and lights telling you to do more executions.

I can't say the game was absolute shit. A really bad sequel/successor to Doom, definitely. I'd say it's a mediocre 6 or 7/10 at BEST. Literally NO replay value. Totally predictable and repetitive fights. A
HORRENDOUS
Soundtrack that I had to turn off about an hour or two into the game. On a similar note, the game doesn't even get my adrenaline pumping and make me want to fuck shit up. The game has the actual opposite effect. While playing it, I noticed that I found it kind of a mindless, relaxing game to play to wind down and put me to sleep.

It's a damn good thing I didn't spend any money on this. It's not worth it, and it's never worth giving money to Bethesda/Zenimax.

Companies are all about mitigating risks. Copying what's already worked is a safe, profitable endeavor, only they don't always copy it. They make it worse. What a time to be alive.

Commander keen rebooted as a girl

tl;dr

So it would be a loli, i'm not even mad.

Game was meh, Caleb was still the best rootin tootin undead cowbow

user, we have some caps of another user that explains why Nudoom is shit already, just post that and be done with it

I'm okay with this.

all the fights in nudoom were extremely samey, it got boring well before it ended, also locking the higher difficulty, fuck that im not going to play that steam twice I didnt even bother with getting the collectibles

It was fine for a pirate but if you bought that thing and were "pleasantly suprised" then you are a fucking pleb, I bet you used the railgun lmao

rage was better tbqh

Jill of the Jungle

It was the first feminist game.

Nightmare wasn't locked and ultra nightmare has no gameplay changes, it just doesn't allow you to continue.
I was pleasantly surprised. Holla Forums made it sound like it was going to be ass cancer but instead it was the best 'Id' game since Q3A by far.
If my taste was this bad I'd not flaunt it in public.

/r/ing francois fries screenshot, I failed to save it

There's nothing wrong with trying to explain something in your own words instead of regurgitating someone else's. Besides, I like his autism better then other two.

You meant to say françois right?

heretic and hexen still haven't been turned into shitty borderlands/dead island style ARPGs yet

It was already a herculean effort just to re-release the game. It's unlikely it'll ever get a sequel

Nolf's rights are spread between like three different companies

Night Dive tried their hardest to negotiate just a re-release of the original game, and nobody wanted to cooperate

It's highly unlikely we'll ever get a sequel to it

the chexman remake would be staring Gluten FREE CHEX in his adventures in raising his wife, Chexlady's son "Kellogius".

His wife son is black mulatto btw.

So a piece of Krave cereal?

Actually, there IS a remake of Chex Quest being made as we speak.

chexquest.org/index.php?topic=5307.0

Oh come on man, it was shit. It was generic AAA trash.

for what purpose?

What you've described is "bad" and "3/10 at best". No need to thank me.

IGN leave.

a big meme

The game was garbage user.

New Doom is far from generic when you look at the past 10 years of shooter history. The AAA shooter market has been filled to the brim by brown and bloom cover shooters and repetitive military shooters that change nothing from iteration to iteration. How is new Doom generic when compared to the rest of the AAA market?

It's a carefully planned boring product riding on nostalgia and namesake alone. Impossibly bland and easy, horrible level design and lacking on the spirit of the original, it's just selling on nostalgia for millenials that never played the original back then or at all and the kind of people that maybe played 20 minutes of Final Doom 20 years ago and think that they are hardcore for playing Skyrim and Bioshock, you know "modern gamers".

nice one

How is it impossibly bland? In what ways is the level design horrible? How does it lack in spirit? Your criticisms are so general that they might as well not mean anything.

What AAA shooters in the past 10 years have actually been any good? You tell me these games that are actually good, since you are an authority on it.

not sure about others since I don't remember years of release

So, three games in 10 years that were any good, one of which you're iffy on. Yet the new Doom isn't any better?

let me fill you in details then
nudoom fucking sucks and it's not even half what the older games were with no perspectives of improvements because no modding

no, those games are in 9-8 range, in comparison to them dood is exactly 4

I think he's referring to nuDoom, though Doom 4 certainly was shit.

also have some more
and I have played all of those, so no "Holla Forums says it's good"

Doom 4 is nuDoom.

Quake was dead the moment Carmack and Romaro parted ways and Quake 2 dropped. Blood's been dead for a while too, and I don't even know who owns the rights to it anymore. I doubt anyone at Bethesda or id knows how to make a platformer anymore, so Commander Keen's probably out.
I'm gonna go with Wolfenstein. The last couple games they've made have been okay, not shit, not great, and Bethesda and id haven't done enough to rape it to death yet. Plus, I can't think of an era-appropriate franchise that hasn't been raped to death yet, that's about the only one left.

Shit, you're right. Sorry, my retardation made me think Doom 3 was 4 and nuDoom was 5.
Don't know why the fucking hell I thought that.

it happens when sequels aren't numbered

Q2 was a lot of fun with mods. It had some of the best deathmatch mods and is the last good id deathmatch game before everything was fagged up with dueling.

Atari so it'll never see the light of day again

You're probably right, they're about due to pump a sequel out to TNO

Really, you think? I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they took the reddit-fueled excitement from nuDoom and Quake Champions and just rebooted it like everything else. A sequel to TNO wouldn't be nearly as much of a punch in the dick as a reboot would be.

Skyrim's fun with mods too. I hated Q2's campaign, it was boring as shit, no fun with strafejumping disabled, and too broken to play with strafejumping enabled. I didn't even bother with the deathmatch because of that. Although I'm willing to respect your opinion on DM mods, I can't agree with you at all.

I wouldn't call either of them good shooters. They suffer from movement lacking precision, be it the protagonist moving around or even turning the camera. Also you are on rails most of the time. But they are certainly above average and, besides, I wouldn't categorize them as strictly shooters.

Because it is a conveyor of soulless cashgrabs so they're starting to blend in and you're starting to lose count, like with almost everything else.

they are most certainly working on it, expect the reveal on next convent

Wolfenstein was too much propaganda. They took an all-American kick ass protagonist and stuck him in the sewer where he often bangs his girl like a degenerate, does drugs with the useless nigger, and fails repreatedly until they find the magical superjew who will save the day almost singlehandedly with his magical Jew superrace and true God.
And that wasn't even in current year. Imagine how bad the next will be.

well, EYE and STALKER aren't "canonical" shooters either but aiming and movement matter much more than, for example, modern Fallout

It didn't take a lot of modding. The improvements to the engine and netcode in Q2 allowed grappling hook mods to finally work well.

I don't know why they'd reboot, they already have a new "base" that got established with TNO it'd be pretty dumb to throw them away and start over, but then again it is betheseda

It was just over the top ludicrous

Yeah, but Metros can be excused for this because combat is mainly a tool to immerse the player. E.Y.E., on the other hand, wouldn't get a free pass because combat is the only really good thing about it.

bond with me, jimmy

the fuck is a "canonical" shooter?

means it's a normal shooter with no elements of other genres

You fucking what m8.

I'm really getting tired of all these morons defending that piece of shit.

Next will be Chakan the forever man

Turok was already rebooted tho

(checked)

sw1 and sw2 are on my backlog but heard they were mediocre

already discussed ITT, fuck off faggot

Nobody said Holla Forums was a hivemind you goddamned rear-view projection television. NuDoom is really motherfucking bad and you should kill yourself. It's slow as balls and has shit tier level design and if you try to argue otherwise you are an underageb& or you never read masters of Doom.

Not in the mood to argue about why the story is shitty in my opinion this time. Yes, I found all the gates.
The setting, design of pretty much everything, art style and so on are great, on the other hand. And there are a lot of little things that matter as well, like the made up language. But all those, ultimately, only serve as backdrop for what is really good about in this game - action. It is an FPS.
Also, I don't consider stuff like research, unlocks and implants separate from combat because that's the only thing they influence significantly.
Hacking is a nice thing to have, but not something you use often and the hacking minigame itself is rather annoying. It's just the fact that you can hack anything and get hacked yourself is great.

smuganimegirlslaughing.png

I'm 38, was probably making Doom WADs before you existed, used to finger Carmack daily, and I thought nuDoom was pretty good but MP is shit. I didn't read your faggy little book though, so you can continue pretending all the 'real fans' agree with you.

this board is 18+ you know

4chan is for ages 13 - 25

yeah, 4chan, and this is a mature imageboards for mature posters such as myself

[citation needed]

No.

real life

That makes no fucking sense. Literally every game has mechanics from multiple genres. on top of that, shooter is itself an extremely broad genre that includes millions of games.

wat

i bet you bought all the minecraft books too

You sure showed him

System Shock.
Go on. Take a look at what they're doing to it.

YOU'RE NEXT

The Blood IP is trapped beneath Atari's festering carcass, so nothing can happen to it unless Atari finally dies.