SHMUP Thread

Aerolith Aurorablast Edition

What's New?
Blue Revolver, it's pretty good
store.steampowered.com/app/439490/

It's a CAVE/Raizing-esque doujin SHMUP where it's more about microchaining instead of stage-long chaining. You kill eight dudes, and then 'cash in' by killing stuff with your special weapons which then nets you an additional score multiplier up to 64x. Pretty fun if you learn how it works. Additionally there are BREAKs which are secret score bonuses you get for destroying things in certain ways, but are usually more difficult to perform. There's also rank present, using bombs to transform bullets into special weapon energy, and suiciding. The stage design is great, the music is fucking kickass (soundcloud.com/qygen/sets/blue-revolver-ost do note this is a WIP version, it's the only version online I could find and the actual in-game version sounds different), and a mission mode to help you learn the game. Check the demo over here if you're poor: woofycakes.itch.io/blue-revolver-v05

Dodonpachi Resurrection
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

Comes with all eight gameplay modes for the bargaining price of 28/24 european dollars. The arcade modes themselves are arcade perfect, some say they're even more accurate than the 360 port. Do note that Black Label Arrange has some Gradius 3 SNES levels of slowdown, whether that's going to be fixed is everyone's best guess. Everything else works fine for the most part. The lossy soundtrack and invisible boss bug for BLA have already been fixed.
The bullet-canceling hypers and mecha girl bosses are still present.

Battle Garegga Rev.2016
The king is back… exclusive to the PS4 and Japan only. Maybe it'll get ported to PC, apparently the arcade version of Rev.2016 ran on PC-based hardware, so a port may not entirely be out of the question. Premium Edition comes with superplays, a soundtrack disc with the original OST, arranged Saturn OST, new updated OST by Namiki himself, and even more arranges by the SuperSweep guys. Also includes an actual replica of the full-value medal, and more. Do note there is no physical disc of the game, only a download code. Why? I don't know. You'll have to order this on a Japanese site first.

Switch 'n Shoot
store.steampowered.com/app/498470/

A simple Downwell-esque (I'm positive the developer of this game worked on Downwell) game which is played with one button, and everytime you hit the button you change directions and fire a shot. It's way more fun than it actually seems and cheap.

Additionally, Raiden V is available for $12.50 with XBL Gold on the Xbone… not that I'd ever buy an Xbone. And STGWeekly hit their 100th episode, celebrating it with Blue Revolver. More DLC for Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours soon.

What are you dying to?
What SHMUP song are you jamming to?
Do you have problems with any particular SHMUP to get into?

Other urls found in this thread:

bluerevolvergame.com/
wikihouse.com/stg/index.php?STG��󥯰���
abemafresh.tv/taito_hey/51235
store.steampowered.com/sale/degica/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also, I uploaded all the (remaining) Darius soundtracks to YouTube on a burner account, and I'll reupload them ASAP when Taito inevitably DMCA's my channel. For now I've compiled the soundtracks in one big video because I thought it'd reupload more easily, but embedding particular songs is not feasible here. I might reformat them next time.
I still have some arrange albums lying around on my hard disk, if anyone is interested in listening to a particular arrange album, feel free to let me know. (Do not that I could not find the DBCS arrange tracks yet)

Reminder that Raiden V is one of the only reasons to buy a used Xbone

Not exactly a problem with a particular game but I have that issue where around 30-40 minutes into a score run I start having tingling sensations in my hands and being lightheaded, which leads to me playing like shit and obviously that's a bad thing.
Any idea of how to mitigate it or dealing with it on the fly?
lost three WR pace attempts to this shit and it's starting to irritate me

Do you play on controllers? Because that shit always happens to me when I'm not using all my fingers when playing on a controller. When you start feeling lightheaded, not enough blood gets pumped around your body because you're (obviously) not moving much and/or your body temperature is dangerously low.

When that happens I pause the game and massage my hands so I can get the blood flowing again.

The only reason to buy Daifukkatsu after it already had a region-free 360 release is ketsupachi mode, which is the one thing that's completely fucking broken (it's worse than slowdown, boss patterns don't even work, I think I even heard one of them doesn't even bother showing up). It will probably also never be fixed, just like the Deathsmiles PC release wasn't.

Also Degica can bite my fucking dick for not releasing DRM-free like they claim they want to (there are places other than shitty GOG to release), and OP is a fucking piece of shit retard for linking to Blue Revolver on Steam when it can be purchased directly without DRM from the fucking website.
bluerevolvergame.com/

Die.

Oh right, I forgot about the DRM

OK.
You're still scum. Buying Blue Revolver from the website even gets you your precious Steam key, valvefag.

I wasn't so much disagreeing with you, as I was lamenting the fact of having to go through this shit again

well stop being a DRM shill and maybe we won't have to go over this every time.

Why don't you simply go ahead and suck Gaben's cock, then you can play your DRM crap while gargling on his cum!

Ketsuipachi mode was fun and all, but it just made me realise how much better Ketsui is and how badly I want a port already goddamn.

Maybe they'll release DOJ and Ketsui as a double pack considering how they have next to no popularity outside their niche
I really hope

bomber

Anyone 1CC Xevius or Dragon Spirit?

I was under the impression most people considered those two games the best CAVE has ever done.

SHMUP IS NOT AN ACRONYM
YOU DON'T NEED TO CAPITALIZE IT

Soundtrack?

What's wrong with PC Deathsmiles? I don't know shmups that well, but I was contemplating getting that + Dodonachi when I get some money

Bombs are for ground targets, not getting out of jail free.

IS TOUHOU A SHMUP?

Gamepad, keyboard or arcade/fight stick for shmups?

Shooting Huge 'Mounts of Unidirectional Projectiles games

They are, but it's not like anybody who isn't into SHMUPs would know that.

Deathsmiles has some missing slowdown in some particular stages and modes. What this means is that the game won't slow down during particular sections where there are a lot of bullets, making the overall experience harder. On top of that the lack of slowdown doesn't make the port equal to other versions, so some scores may not be as valid. While I personally prefer no slowdown at all, it's helpful whenever it arises, though too much like in Black Label Arrange is just borderline unplayable.

2hu fags leave this is a thread for MANLY METHODICAL SHMUPS FOR MEN ONLY

arcade stick for most authentic experience possible, keyboard for savestate practicing

Is their a tier list of some sorts, or a guide that recommends some shmups by difficulty?

There is a Japanese wiki which ranks SHMUPs from easy to hard (0 to 50), you might need to use Google Translate to read it properly, however: wikihouse.com/stg/index.php?STG��󥯰���

But making a recommendation tier list for this kind of thing definitely isn't a bad idea. Though I wonder how I should go about games with different difficulty settings.

here's the entire list according to nips

abemafresh.tv/taito_hey/51235
they're streaming Battle Garegga Rev.2016 here, chip in if you want to see some high quality play on low video quality

Undertale?? Hello???

most of them are

Here, use this.

HA HA, TIME FOR STEAM WEEKEND SALES!
store.steampowered.com/sale/degica/

Concerning SHMUPs:

I really wish I had something better to do other than shill for free

you are a good shill, i bought LiEat

You can buy Ketsui for the PS3 or 360. If you want to play it on PC just use MAME instead.

I wish I didn't suck ass.

It's frustrating, I can play decently in other SHMUPs but somehow Blue Revolver in Novice tends to pulverize my ass. I guess it's just the oversized player sprite, I dunno.

I'd only pay that much if it included the DLC. Still too much for this poor goy

Each DLC pack costs like 15 buckaroos, now on sale for 10 buckaroos, so I wouldn't count on it

I'm thinking making an online co-op SHMUP where the gimmick is that there'd be a limited number of player slots. What would happen is players would join a queue (with a chat) and can spectate the current players, with the top of the queue replacing someone who dies after a short countdown. If everyone currently playing dies before someone spawns in, the level resets.

I don't think I've heard about this sort of larger group online mechanic in a SHMUP before. Does it sound interesting?

I'd play it if the core game was good enough.

I quite like "gimmicky" shooters like R-Type and Radiant Silvergun.

sounds like a more applied version of Twitch plays STGs
mite be good

Thanks, kinda managed to get it without taking any pauses problem was just a mix of me simply not breathing when I'm focusing on the game and adrenaline getting to me

Goes without saying but have a mute/hide chat button.

I'm probably still going to pick up Deathsmiles then. Is DDP worth it even with the slowdown issue in that one mode?

Yea, all the other modes work just fine and are fun in their own right. Though I wouldn't blame you for waiting until it goes off sale for some more when maybe BLA gets fixed.

how well emulated, slowdown-wise, are SH-3 games in current MAME versions?

it's all over the place really, though it should work decently

GOTY 1982

anyone else played matt furie's shmup?

EuroSHMUPs tend to be fairly boring

I'd feel obliged if you could point me to a torrent of Dodonpachi Resurrection, RefRain ~prism memories~, the updated version of Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours with all DLC, Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo, and Judgement Silversword

I want to get into the genre but since I suck at them Im only willing to humilliate myself if whatever Im playing has a God-tier soundtrack.

since shmups are already expected to have great soundtracks by default, I would ask you anons wich ones you consider are top of the line on that regard.

pic related was one a friend of mine mentioned

some personal favourites of mine are Biometal (JP), Hyper Duel (Saturn), G-Darius/Darius Gaiden/Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours (all Darius games have top notch soundtracks, thanks to the visionary madman that is Hisayoshi Ogura, Shohei Tsuchiya is pretty good too), RefleX, Eschatos, and Broken Thunder for the Dreamcast

Hisayoshi Ogura, Hitoshi Sakimoto, Hyakutaro Tsukomu, Yosuke Yasui and Manabu Namiki are my favourite composers of all time. It's hard to decide which ones are the best because so many shmup soundtracks are that good

Blue Revolver has a good soundtrack in my opinion but I'm sure you read the OP so you know that already. Touhou shmups have pretty universally liked soundtracks I think.

Gonna need more WEBMs for this shit

I don't remember Stage 3 being so hard for me before. Am I getting old or something?
As an aside what the fuck is up with people bitching about DRM in a fucking SHMUP thread?

People on v have trigger words just like tumblrites. They're just different words but the function is the same kneejerk reaction and a (1) without any thought in the matter or idea about the context.

sage for offtopic

What's dodonpachi like? I've only heard the soundtrack and it seems pretty neato.

Hope you're good at brute memorization, because reactions and pattern recognition will not take you very far in that game.

It's p good. The scoring usually comes down to chaining, which means you want to memorize what route to take so you can keep your HIT combo, because it can drop really fast if you aren't killing shit. Dodonpachi is a game you play for scoring, survival will only get you so far. The music (starting from Daioujou) is pretty good, and the visuals are great too.

What would you recommend for reactions then, if it's not too much to ask?

If you want to focus less on memorizing things (even though stage memorization is an automatic process with mastering nearly every SHMUP) or just want to play without having to memorize every aspect of the stages, I'd recommend more classical SHMUPs such as Raiden, Cho Ren Sha 68K, Mushihimesama, and Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours

What games are recommended if I can't even come close to 1CCing anything yet? Should I just play 2hu?

you play more games you retard

soon.

If you want to try out a DDP, DFK came out on Steam recently. Otherwise just boot up MAME and play the other, more classic, pachis.

Just play anything you like, any game you can 1cc without having to practice for it just means the game is piss-easy anyways. So just play anything you like, even if it's really difficult

You're having a panic attack. I was having those same symptoms a couple months ago from playing Virtual On. I don't understand why it happened, but it happened.

Just picked up Mushihimesama for cheap, what's the difference between every mode? Is 1.5 just a better version of arrange/normal?

1.5 is basically an arrange mode with an arranged soundtrack, slightly different backgrounds, and altered enemy placement. You can choose between normal shot and a MAX shot at the start, a normal shot will play similarly to 1.0, whereas there are more changes present if you pick a MAX shot. You start with maximum power and all four options with MAX, but it also adds an additional counter which increases faster the closer you are to an enemy while shooting it. Point-blanking will cause enemies to shed extra small gems, any gems you pick up this way have their base value multiplied by your score counter, which is then added to your score. However, once that counter reaches a certain threshold, (the first one being on 10,000, the second on 50,000, and the final on 99,999) which makes all enemy bullets go faster. The counter resets at the start of each stage or whenever you die.
Basically 1.5 wants you to score by point-blanking, but you can still control how difficult you want the game to be.

Bump