Be horror protagonist

Why has no one called out that trope yet? Once you realize that every single one of them does this, it's literally just a sort of quest marker and makes the protagonist in-universe seem really really retarded.

Just immerse yourself into an actual human being in that situation. Why would you continue to stay in a castle and go in deeper?

I still wait for the day of a horror game, without scripted storytelling, where it really panders to your primal fear of being hunted by giant fucking monster, maybe even Cthulu himself.
I just want to be a random nobody who has to surive an invasion by a giant alien monster + some underlings like the nightmares I sometimes have.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9ZYVq90QyGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ao Oni

I wish it was first person.
And needs to be bigger tbh.

thanks for the suggestion tho, deserves a headpat

although it's funny that

happened as I described it in the first few minutes in the game

Once Ao Oni The Animation becomes a hit, we're gonna get a remake that's bigger, faster, stronger and with VR-support.

Nigger if Cthulhu himself woke up and wanted some of your sweet user ass I don't think you'd be in any position to say no.

Why can't I be the one who scares people for a change?

wait (3)? OP did you make this silly thread in earnest?
Gosh I don't even know where to start

You just give them a reason to do so, like any decent game. Most horror protags either get chased into their situation and can't get out, are soldiers in over their heads, or are looking for someone/something and simply can't leave till they find it.

But the issue with totally non-scripted horror is that it tends to suck. Fear needs a very specific atmosphere and build up to work, and the best are usually tailor made for a certain kind of reaction. If you're just wandering around an area and there's some spooky looking places and things there, that can be tense, but it's not intense. Silent Hill on the other hand really mastered playing with expectations and it gave them a lot of really good scenes.

I wouldn't say no anyway

because faggots think that if you can defend your self then it can't be scary

Yeah but there's a difference between defending yourself and carrying around a fucking arsenal that would put a small nations military to shame.
The latter is not conducive to a horror experience, because what the fuck do you have to be afraid of when you've got a bazooka strapped to you back.

What a waste of double trips and a screencap.

you gonna post that on leddit, friendo?

Dead Space suffered from this. It was spooky at first, but once you realised that there is nothing deadlier on that ship than you are, all fear was gone. You from "I'm so fucked" to "I am Not Important, the bringer of death"

Backblast in a confined area.

Really though, it doesn't have to be a huge collection of CoD wet-dream material. A decently-sized multi-tool would make more sense than bringing literally nothing. Hell, maybe even a concealed-carry pistol with only one magazine since CCers usually don't carry spares.

What if it's set in britbongistan?

Quit being a memer! Memes aren't that wonderful :)

the fuck is wrong with talking about tropes you god damn ignorant nigger

tvtropes invented the word trope

that's what these fucking kids think man, I swear to god. I called him a nigger because this is what niggers do, it's fucking tall poppy syndrome. you try to have any sort of reasonable intelligent discourse and faggots like this wannabe memelord have to go "durr tropez r 4 new fags" nevermind that the whole "go back to reddit" meme is just trying to be halfchan. fuck I hate this place sometimes.

I think the first Condemned had a good balance with this.
You weren't completely defenseless, but good weapons (aka ammunition) was very scarce and you had to defend yourself against crazy hobos with a 2x4 most of the time.

Alien Isolation was fairly cool

you just need to give small amounts of ammo to the player

To this day the only franchise that has spooked me is Silent Hill.

Haunting on Genesis, Ghostmaster or whatever that kickstarted game with Vivian James in it was called.

I dunno, a wrench? A brick the protagonist found lying on the ground?

Afterlife Empire. A damn shame the name wasn't used on something good, that name kicks ass.

How can you achieve this same horror without crippling the gameplay?

If I recall there's an Ao Oni remake in first person view.

Trope comes from plays and stage acting that dates back to Greece, specifically. TV Tropes has popularized the word and kids who go to tv tropes have a distinct obnoxious tendency to use the lingo tv tropes uses to describe everything.

It being a cancerous no negativity allowed hugbox simply made it worse.

Actually the bullshit mansion in RE1 housed a secret lab so its weirdness gets a pass. Even the police station in RE2, the chief was a fucking weirdo and the ingame notes call him out on his weird architectural (read puzzle) demands for the place

I don't want anything scripted.

I want a triple AAA horror title with a fully rendered city and some hinterlands and I want to basically play Cloverfield the game.
But not scripted. I should be able to go wherever I want.

It basically should be like the one dream I once had.

Recap:

It was basically set in my city. A standard german city, but different and with more taller buildings. Especially the church was much much bigger, which makes it huge.
I was waking up with lots of my town abandoned. So basically a standard horror simulator, but I was able to enter buildings.
I remember the first thing I did was go into a pharmacy.

Anyway my end game was to go to the church. That was the city center. I saw the giant enemy in the background already.
The church had secret tunnels into catacombs, which were connceted to other parts of the city.
The Giant attacked the chuch and did the old "open it up and look into it" thing.

The end. I unfortunetly didn't get to dream about it again. But I liked just walking around in town and being basically a horror GTA. That's what I want.

what is Thief??? :O

kys

make it a stealth game ;)

Make enemies more threatening. Shitty controls should never be the main source of difficulty. All you need to do is balance it for a horror game. Let the player throw themself to avoid certain death, but make them take a small amount of damage, get injuries if they do it too often and/or make it deplete stamina. Instead of retarded tank controls that do nothing but break immersion, give the player basic movement skills a normal person can be expected to have, but design enemies with it in mind.

Unfortunately a lot of horror fans are stuck in the idiotic mindset that games need to make the controls your worst enemy to be good.

link?

I tried to search for it and all I got was some 3 year old markiplier video.

youtube.com/watch?v=9ZYVq90QyGQ

You know what you should do? Start modeling that city. Get something like hammer/radiant or whatever and get crackin' on that shit, then either learn the coding/art needed or find anons in /agdg/ that can do it. Don't let your dreams be memes.

A pakis severed leg

The Resident Evil games not 4-6 I don't class those as Resident Evil games do quite well with how they give you ammo and make you ration it.

It was a dream as in I actually dreamed about it.

Make WH 40k Imperial Guard running and screaming game.

I don't have a screencap of the thread, but the gist is that you have a weapon, that is a relatively effective on people. However, the ship you're on gets assraped by horrors that don't particularly give a fuck about your glorified flashlight, only the weakest enemies that you might encounter would be killable with your las rifle with any reasonable chance of success.

Overlord can suck my cock, I want to rape and pillage damnitt.

There's some RPGmaker H-game thats supposed to be an overlord spoof of sorts where you do just that, though it's more raping than pillaging. It's called Overwhored.

Tropes weren't meant to describe cliches, just like "deconstruction" wasn't meant to define any dark reinterpretation of a genre. You're just using words wrong.

By the way, I am glad you ideagays aren't designing any games. You have shit ideas.

fuck you, I want a horror game which main theme is getting hunted by a giant cloverfield like monster

With scarce weapons that "just slow down the monster" just so you can feel safer from a 50 meters tall mole every time you have a few bullets in your 9mm, right? Or even better, rockets for your rocket launcher so you can get that Michael Bay feel

No. Read what I wrote here:

I want the protagonist be basically you and me, not in the army, not proficent with weapons. And he doesn't have a special past with the monster or superpowers either. You are not John Turok, the Spacemarine.

I just want you to wake up in a metropolis under alien attack and there is no real objective besides getting out.

Visceral melee combat makes for a good horror experience. It requires you to literally get in the monster's face, and is not guaranteed to knock it out before it rips your face off.

Just make a War of the Worlds videogame with the book's protagonist as the main character. Ignore the shitty hollywood adaptation.

Survive the ayy lmao invasion in Victorian London. Avoid the ayy search parties and heat rays. Include a gaggle of characters, including that insane priest guy that almost got the protag killed by shouting loudly about the armaggeddon or whatever.

These character would be a nice bonus.

But I really just want to live out my horror kink of getting hunted by a giant monster to whom I am but an ant.
I want it to lift off the ceiling off my house and look into it, filling out the entire hole with his face and then quickly run out of my room and quickly down. Then I have to make a decision. Do I hide in the basement or do I run out the other way, cross the gardens of my neighbour and hide by them?

There isn't enouth horror based in ancient Rome or Greece.

I want to hide in the caverns from them and be careful or one of their heads suddenly pops out of a hole and attacks me. :3

Well, I brought up War of the Worlds because their Tripods are essentially those huge monsters. Remember, in the book, the invasion was stopped by the Earth's native bacteria and viruses - the only attempt humans did to repel the invasion was ram one of the tripods with an ironclad, only to be wrecked by a heat ray. At least they bought enough time for civilians to escape.

Coming soon to a PC/Console near you.

That's the fucking worst

I really have never seen a horror game (well, in the past few years) actually pull off a scare well. And some of them had a lot of potential as well if actual love and care was put into it. Fuck, I've had more scary moments in non-horror games.

Like what?

how did he take the picture???????????

don't even like F13th but it looks fun

FUCK BRIGIT OR WHATEVER SHE'S CALLED
I'M AUTISTIC AND HAVE TO 100% EVERY GAME AND THE STUPID SLUT HAS THE MOST INFURIATING CRITERIA TO FREE HER
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Game's pretty good, though. I recommend it.

STALKER games are pretty atmospheric, although they're not explicitly horror games. The Zone is pretty horrific, but most of the threat will come from other humans.
I will never forget how I was hanging around in Yantar after disabling the miracle machine. I was clearing the zombies to search for loot around the facility leading into the underground lab. As I was leaving, I noticed that the area directly to my left was marked on my map as an anomalous zone, and I also had data about a stash hidden there. I merrily head over. There were a few bushes in the way but I had my detector out so I knew I wouldn't step on a pool of acid or anything.

Just as I walk into the bush, I hear a VERY loud growl and something hit me. I swear I let out a scream straight out of a horror film. I didn't even look at my assailant as I turned around and sprinted back through the facility gates, dropped a grenade on my feet as I ran and readied my weapon.
It turns out two bloodsuckers were hanging around in the bushes. One was heavily wounded by my grenade and went down in a single burst of fire. The other one was barely scratched and it took a minute or so of jumping, dodging and shooting at thin air before it finally died of its wounds.
Fuck bloodsuckers. All of them.

you ok user

Right, I saw it mentioned recently. Might be fun.