What went wrong or was it just average enough for no one to really care?

What went wrong or was it just average enough for no one to really care?

What does Holla Forums think of it? I played through the campaign two times + the expansion one time and I have no desire to play it again. It doesn't have the Dungeon Keeper 2 magic.

I also don't like the art all too much and there is just too much fucking light everywhere and the walls are way too straight, which weirdly makes DK2 better.

Also the minions don't hang of your fingertips when you have them in the air.
Also defences are completly fucking useless in the game, except for the ember rift, because you have so few lockable mana, you need that all for imps and ember demons. Ironically they said in their dev long that they recognized that the cannon was the only useful trap in DK2, but they somehow fucked up traps even more in making them completly useless anywhere except your dungeon core or central room.
dig out one entire layer around your dungeon core master race here

Did I miss anything?

fuck off cuckchan

I wrote up an entire paragraph about what's wrong with the game, what did you do? You just memed and shitposted.

I found it interminably slow. For whatever reason, putting down flags to move your units never made them move en masse towards the flag, and since there's barely any other way to move creatures to, say, make them attack the other base, it took upwards of an hour to finish the first real level.

Here's my recommendation, user:
Play on max speed. They added a speed slider to the game.

If you ever play Dungeon Keeper 2, make sure to play it on 200% please. It should be played that way, it just feels so much better.

The lack of a speed slider is a reason why Evil Genius is almost unplayable to me. It's maximum tedium.

These games really play much better with a speed mode attached to them.

Imagine if you had to play Rimworld only on the lowest speed. I bet many people would get disinterested, without really knowing that it was because of the lack of speed at least imo.

So yeah crank it up to 150% for WFTO.

also when did you play the game btw? I never really had your problem.

I think in the latest patch they introduced another problem. Door have too much HP making it fucking annoying to storm through the enemy dungeon because they take so long to destroy. I don't remember it being that way before.

Dungeon keeper 2 was one of the few games i could get my dad to play.

Directly after 1.3 patch on my PoS linux mint lappy.

that doesn't tell me anything, but I presume that was early

my mom loves it as well

A shame that the campaign is a fucking disgrace as opposed to the charme it had in DK2. :3

Felt so barebones and empty for some reason, been years since I remember playing the last Dungeon Keeper before EA raped it and the studio, this spiritual successor just didn't charm me or wow me with its features or campaign, also really getting ticked off with the use of the Unity engine, because fucking damn it.

Before that patch it was literally unplayable, the game would just hang at launch with the progress bar stuck forever at 99 percent. I bought into the hype a little and bought it before it was really ready for primetime, but yeah, by your standards it was pretty early.

I've been trying to wean my parents onto games for a while. My dad's been showing the most promise, in that i've gotten him into things like Verdunn, AoE, and Tiberium Sun. He has a thing for historic reenactment and won't touch starcraft with a ten foot pole, but he seems to really adore him some RTS or strategy games with RTS elements. He got really into Total war once upon a time. My mom's an utter trainwreck, though, constantly playing on the phone freemium games, which is sad since last i saw she had ultima underworld installed on her PC. I tried giving her undertale just to see what she'd make of it and she somehow managed to complain it was too long. Didn't even finish the demo bit.

I had a discussion about it with my friends the other day when I saw DK image in one of the threads which seemed much comfier and pleasing even though it was low pixelated shit even with nostalgia glasses off. The game has too detailed walls, they also differ from each other and as you said light everywhere and too straight, that makes them both very bland and draws away too much attention from your creatures where DK had more uniform feel Game in general had that too many features feel with tons of different but all the same zergstack creatures, spells that were spam to fix everything and useless traps (except slowtrap + mass cannons on chokepoints) which required more maintenance than your average zergling that could both move and gain levels. Feels like a mess that tried too hard.

No imagination, and probably just poor technical skills

Traps should have drawn more from Evil Genius allowing players to set up intricate traps systems to fuck their enemies shit up, instead of just forming wall after wall after wall of the games lackluster as all fuck traps, there also needed to be more trap that fucked your minions shit up too as a way to balance trap building

Units are all poorly designed, there isn't a single creature in the game I like on either side, although DK2 had way too many humanoid minions and few interesting designs in the game itself,.

It's easier to list the things I liked than the things I hated.

I liked the Tavern, I think there should be more systems to extract money from your minions, I wouldn't mind the addition of light resource management and more jobs for minions.

I liked the Gold obelisk, forcing the formerly gemstones to take up 3 spaces and requiring the player to control that square is pretty good.

Get your dad Men of War.

I remember when a dev answered a question about the lack of jagged walls and way too much light everywhere.

I think he promised an option or he turned down the light to a lesser brightness.

TOO GRAPHICAL INTENSIVE TO NOT INCLUDE CROOKED WALLS?

Well maybe, you would have more graphical power available to you, if you didn't had 1000 light sources scattered over the whole map.

Yup. They all look like shit.

Also it feels pretty easy. They give you a gold shrine in every single mission as well as spells and the tavern to make sure that you never run out of gold.

I also never managed to really learn much about how much gold the tavern gives me back or what the units are good at, because the game is so easy that you don't really need to learn.

I still remember that the salamander gets fireball at level 4 for example.

Stealth release.

Go to bed you're getting cranky again.

it never even touched the feeling of dungeon keeper what so ever and was really casual, on almost every level you have unlimited gold and even with the mana limits and such it was still more then enough to win any and all fights since the combat was really simple

No Overworld, which is a bit weird considering the title.
Dungeons 2 had an Overworld you could send your minions to and fight other guys there, it was pretty neat but ultimately, not a very good game, too slow

There's also the fact that there was an attemp at specialization with the Sins system but it doesn't work and you'll often make a dungeon with almost one of everything.
It would be neat if players had to make thematic dungeons and focus on particular things, like making a Magic Dungeon focused on mana and Spel Casters or a Crafty Dungeon, focused around crafting shit.

Holla Forums complains about not getting video games like the old days but when they do they totally ignore it. gee this has never happened before.

It was disastrously unoptimized at launch with a lot of bugs
Also it's just mediocre and is trying to fill very large shoes

The devs probably would have done better if they tried to do something along the lines of Evil Genius rather than doing a straight up spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper

Optimization, too large pop caps and arguably titans, otherwise pretty good game.

Holla Forums, the infrangible entity you have the pleasure to converse with at the moment, liked the game as a whole and enjoyed playing it, but eventually gave up due to Unity being complete and utter shitfest. If Holla Forums ever decides to get a new PC for gayming, then perhaps Holla Forums will give it another chance.

bump