Let's talk about Japanese games you want to play, but you never ever will play because you can't learn Japanese

Let's talk about Japanese games you want to play, but you never ever will play because you can't learn Japanese.

Mark, if you're reading this…

ur waifu a shit

Japanese games are for manchildren.

and this is why god exiled you from heaven. you devilish bastard

this

None. I really don't know what I miss out on.

Twilight syndrome saga, I dunno if it's good or bad, but I always wanted to play it.

Don't learn Japanese. The cost and time spent far outweighs reward.

Who would learn another language to play that garbage?

Just kidding, I'm gonna play it regardless if I don't understand it.

It's not like you need the text in order to look at poorly animated tittys on a buttugly model

wtf i hate japanese games now

The only games you can't play with babby tier nihongo are unvoiced visual novels and they're barely games to begin with.

Wanna know what's frustrating as all fuck? I can speak Japanese, I understand Japanese quite well, but I can't read it.
Or rather, I can read it but it's very, very difficult. I read so slowly that it would be pretty much imposible for me to play anything that requires reading a lot.
But with practice I'm sure I'll get there some day.

Not with that attitude! You can learn anything. The process of practice is frustrating though.

Go read light novels or something.
Read something mindless.
Read it every single day, again and again, you'll get used to it.
You're in a MASSIVELY advantaged position compared to 99% of Holla Forums, don't waste it.

Yes, that's where I was going with this, thanks for fucking explaining.

THEY'RE CUTE! CUTE!

The artworks are, but the actual ingame models look like shit

To be honest I'm in a position of advantage compared to most people. I don't know if you can tell, but English is not my first language.
I taught English to myself and discovered I have real talent for this, and yes your suggestion is good. Reading light stuff, that sort of thing. Mostly I practice with newspapers and recipes because news have less literature and recipes I can translate into actual food, which believe it or not helps solidifying what you read.
But now that you said it I got an idea: I'll try reading the translations of things I've already read! I'll see right now if I can buy Japanese translations of these books.
Light, fun, and I already know the content. Yes, this may work. Thanks, man.
As for picking up basic Japanese, I recommend those among you that have watched every season of a particular show or have a bunch of movies you've seen over and over to find the Japanese dub. Watch the dub and pay attention, with no subtitles. Believe me, it works.

It also works rewatching animu you've seen subbed without subtitles.

It really isn't that hard to learn another language.
I know four.

As a non-native English speaker, 2 things helped me polish it up quite a bit: reading Lord of the Rings in English, and sticking around on imageboards for almost a decade. There has to be an equivalent to this for Japanese.

Sticking around on imageboards is definitely helpful practice, but you have to remember that the English here isn't very advanced or polite. I'd expect that to be even worse when it comes to Japanese.

Very true, which is why splicing it up with reading literature, playing vidya or watching movies helps a lot.

Tales of Vesperia PlayStation 3
Zero no Kiseki
Ao no Kiseki
Ciel nosurge
Cold steel 1 and 2 with JPN audio

Tired of not being able to enjoy media (many things are never translated or the TL takes forever) I taught myself English, started when I was 12. I was competently fluent 3 years later. The power of autism is not to be underestimated and my parents gave me the intellectual stimulation.
Now I only read in English and watch English TV sans subs.

But English is a Germanic language that uses the Latin script. Learning JPN is… problematic.

It's only problematic if you think it is.

You don't need to learn Japanese to figure out the menus and mechanics.

Good. That's a huge bonus.

Well, i did all that too, english isn't my mother tongue either, i'm entirely self taught.
But i don't really give myself credit for it, english is such a simple language, learning it takes zero effort, it's basically a language for total simpletons.

I bet a lot of people on Holla Forums learned english as their secondary language, it's not a big deal.

I want to learn Japanese, stop telling me I can't, you bitch.

?

I only give shit to spanish for it being a hideous sounding language spoken natively by some of the absolute dredges of the modern world.

English is also a better language, spanish is just a simple language.

Don't you know, spanish has like 4 ways of explaining something was done in the past.

It's a romance language, why did you expect?

I subscribe to the thinking: if a game isn't translated into English, either officially or by fans, then it probably wasn't worth playing anyway. Japan has just as much trash as we do, perhaps even moreso considering the garbage that gets localized.

I'm sure there's exceptions but that's to be expected.

I want to play that Umaru game, but it's probably bad anyway.

And like 6 of saying "you"

That I disagree with.

English is a better language, but that's because it's a spoken language. Spanish, along with other romance languages is a written language, which means it's pretty good for writing but when using it to talk it has a fuckton of confusing rules; saying spanish is a simple language is not really correct, english is easier, that's why everyone speaks it.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought about it like this before. Thanks.

I really want to play Ys 8.

XSEED translation when

Op doesn't know that language doesn't matter provided the person playing is able to figure out the mechanics of the game.

It's because the entire world culture is just American culture so it's easy to learn through constant exposure.

Japanese is much more simplistic, unless you're talking about writing.

Jesus

If you really want to play them for the most important part (the fucking gameplay) then you easily can at least when it comes to JRPGs. Google translate Japanese resources for stuff like items if you have to, it's perfectly doable, I finished Persona 5 on hard weeks before plenty of casual japs while fully enjoying the gameplay.

Vesperia PS3 doesn't even count, it has a translation patch available as well as complete walkthrough(s) in English, not to mention you'd get through it perfectly fine without any resources for the vanilla stuff if you were an actual fan of the series and had played the 360 version by now.

But I know Japanese and can play whatever games I want, OP.

I guess what comes to mind lately are the more recent Phoenix Wright games. A shame they won't localize them!

Say 'OP is a faggot' in japanese

OPは尻擬きだなー
早くガス室にでも入って死んでくれないかなー

I always read the title as "CLITORIS".
The last time I had such dyslexic issues was with Rare's "Rapeplay".

You all know that German is the final boss. Easy to learn, very hard or impossible to master.

True, English is not particularly hard, but Japanese is even easier. English is simple but Japanese is downright primitive.
Which makes the fact that I couldn't learn Japanese as an autodidact kinda weird, but took me just over a year in college to learn and two trips to Japan to perfect. However, written Japanese is still a struggle, as I said.
Tried to learn some Chinese on my own and gave up in a week.

You are a special kind of retarded are you?

Doesn't Kanji have like 80,000 symbols in total?

80000 symbols written 10000 times with superior nipon ink

Then don't learn it. If it isn't the commoner's tongue, then there's no bothering with it.

I played through both of the samurai Yakuza games. They are not hard to get through, since you have waypoints on your compass pointing you to the next story beat at all times, but also because extensive guides exist for both Kenzan and Ishin. Kenzan has a full video walkthrough that has translated cutscenes and text boxes for the entire main story, as well as an extremely thorough GameFAQ. Ishin is just starting to get that treatment, but in the meantime a full text guide exists.

They are quite fun, I'd recommend giving them a playthrough.

Give advice for learning user. I have learned the joyou kanji and should start grammar now.

I have made many mistakes.

Bitch, I've played so many Japanese games in the last two years that I'm actually getting tired of it.

Just learn the most commonly used kanji, user.
C'mon, it's not that hard :^)

What was wrong with ORAS? All I know about is that one Beauty who was a Black Belt with a sex change, though I haven't played Pokemon since White 2.

JUST

I don't remember the specifics, I just remember playing Sapphire in (illegible) Japanese for shigs, seeing a bunch of cringeworthy screenshots of shit TPC changed from R/S/E's script, and feeling smug about it. I got away with playing it in jap because I'd put so many hours into RSE, I won't have that luxury for Sun/Moon, though, so I actually have to learn it this time to get away with that again.

CAN'T

Daily reminder that Japanese is a shitty, useless, and retardedly over-complex language (because of muh kanji).

The Japanese themselves have been saying that since the late 1800s.

Absolute trash.

Yeah, reading bilingual books is very good for learning a new language. Try picking some series, reading it first in your own language, then switching to the language you are trying to learn with latter parts. You will have more motivation that way.

Daily reminder that according to modern day "wisdom" the Japanese allegedly had no written language before the Chinese imported theirs during a time when China was well known to conquer nations and push their educational reforms onto them. They were a developed nation for 2500 years prior to the Chinese showing up and fucking things up, yet somehow we're to believe they never formed a written dialect of their own?

Yeah it is, but the Japanese make the best modern TV shows and video games, so you'd better git gud.

Try Polish. O co się założymy?

fuck you I will learn japanese you smug little school girl bitch I swear to god you better learn to show user some respect or you gonna get benis'd

Not that different from Nihongo with several ways of saying "me".

How do you reconcile "Japanese is simpler than English" with the fact that it took you way longer to learn?

Is there any free lecture focused courses for Japanese? I can find one for almost every other language but not Japanese. I struggle to learn on my own without imposed time limits or actual structure, without limits I struggle to stay on tract and without structure I'm aimless and without hope, I can't assure that I'll actually learn anything if I just arbitrarily learn things at a random pace.

If there are audible/visual lectures like a classroom I do really well and can learn almost anything but that's the assistance I need. It's embarrassing but it's what it takes for me, does anyone know of anything like this? Something like an edx course would be ideal or even something like duolingo, just anything with a claim of "of you do this on time when we tell you, then you will have some understanding by the end of the course", I think I could take it from there after getting a foothold but I can't go in blind by myself.

Structure is useless unless you can enforce it upon yourself with negative reinforcement and real, tangible consequences that you will actively strive to avoid. You don't need structure, you need to find a simple lesson course and force yourself to study out of habit
How's embed related?

I suppose I am motivated, I wish to learn the language and have things I cannot do without being able to understand Japanese, so that alone is a punishment in its own right, if I don't learn it I'll never enjoy these things.

The issue is less my motivation and more my attention shortcomings, it's just books specifically, even if someone is reading something to me verbatim, I can understand and retain it much better than had I read it myself, I don't know why that is. I've taken several video lecture courses on various subjects and have come away with an actual understanding of a skill while also being able to apply it and extend it on my own so I think I'm capable I just need the material.

Things like what you posted seem like what I'm after, someone speaking to you like a teacher would in a class. It seems hard to find good material though given the broad subject range, all the alphabets, the vocabulary, quirks, etc. Some people may cover one thing but not another, then there's the quality of the material too, you wouldn't even know how well a course is until you take it which is troubling. A lot of videos seem to be in the style of "learn X quick" which is not my intention, I don't want to sidestep or take shortcuts, I'm willing to invest a lot of time if there's a high chance of actually learning and retaining.

Do you recommend the lessons linked there or was that just for demonstration? I'll watch them if you think they're worth it.

Sorry if I'm being too verbose too, I'm just trying to be clear but I'm a bit sick right now so my wording may be weird. I'd like to take the opportunity to ask questions instead of just sitting here.

Lack of daily access to Japanese. Because I could practice English with my dad and some friends and also many of my favourite shows and movies were in English.
For Japanese media I had anime only and for daily practice I had to actually go to Japan, where most people assumed I was American.
But I'm not, I'm Chilean. It became easier not no correct people.

I'm not in any position to make any recommendations. I am learning Japanese, but I've only been doing so for a short time. If you need a video demonstration, you can do a whole lot worse than the course I posted. However, these videos only cover hiragana, so I imagine you'll be back to square one as soon as you've finished with them. I am not sure if this channel offers lessons on katakana, grammar or kanji.

To start, those videos are excellent. They're short, to the point, clear, and will get you started with everything you need to know in terms of pronunciation and stroke order, and the instructor even takes the kana you've reviewed and uses them to write out example words. All this being said, I am not like you, I didn't use these videos to learn hiragana. I used www.realkana.com to mash them into my brain using the spaced repetition study app.

Thank you for the information. I think I will wait to see if there are any more recommendations, do another search myself to see if anything new has come online since my last search, if I can get a good enough coverage of the language I'll start on it. I want to wait until I accrue all material before starting because I don't want to learn a part then have a gap between searching for another course.

The hardest part is not so much finding material but finding the right material, trying to find testimonials of people saying they tried it and it actually worked for them, people who are in a similar situation when it comes to the ease of learning from lectures but not so much from a book.

That one Chibi-Robo sequel for the DS that played more like the original Chibi-Robo.

Any nippon speaking people here know what あほか means?

It means "are you fucking stupid?"

first character is a, second is ho, and third is ka. AHOKA. Based on a cursory google search, it means something similar to "you're silly" or "what an idiot" but I don't know because I'm just learning nipponese so maybe you should wait for someone who actually knows wtf they're talking about to answer your question

That's the weebum I got it from but as far as I can tell it just means "Stupid?" Because Aho means idiot or stupid and ka is obviously the particle that turns a statement into a question. Just google wasn't telling me how right that was.

Google translate is pretty terrible for anything except maybe recognizing handwritten kanji.
The phrase does literally mean "stupid?" but you should know that Japanese is all about the context. If you say that directly to someone you're obviously calling them stupid.

Well, he did teach both Japanese and English in Japan for 10 years, so I would assume that he knows what the fuck he's talking about. Anyway, Ahoka is a question that literally means "Are you stupid?" the severity depends on how you say it. If you say it sincerely, then yeah it's just "are you stupid?" but if you really give it a real fuck you tone then it means a bit more.

In the end, you should probably not say this to anyone anyway, because it could get you hit in the face.

Yeah, it's basically the same as バカ. I think it came from the Kansai region? Not sure, but it's common enough outside of Kansai regions too.

Never been to Japan. No one will hit you in the face. 'Aho' is usually used in context with friends, like calling your buddy a dumbass. 'Baka' is you're fucking stupid.

And you are fucking stupid

I've heard Japanese people call each other baka in playful ways before. Don't know about Aho, I pretty much only ever actually hear it in entertainment, and it tends to be used between friends, but not always.

I really want to play Doom, but I really can't learn Japanese, help me.

I've heard that "cunt" is used in a friendly context, and friends call themselves that.
So I think it's not a problem to say it, right?

Yeah, go up and down the street just saying まんこ and げりくそ. I'm sure the girls will be lining up for you to impregnate them with your seed when they see what a worldly guy you are.

The only reason so many people speak english is because it's the language of the internet and what everyone wants to learn for various reasons. Alot of people say it's the hardest language to learn, too. Not entirely sure why. Apparently it's about more than just the amount of words. Spanish is only "harder" to learn if you think having to memorize more is harder.

English is also the language of business. Which is why pretty much every country other than North Korea has their students learning English as a second language as early as Kindergarten.

But umarus not his waifu?

It all makes sense now.

How about "God is autistic, which is why he never interacts with anyone"?

PSO2

I don't have a single one because I'm not a weaboo degenerate

natsuiro high school

Japanese SMTI is one of my fondest memories in gaming.

I'll take a language barrier over shitty localization anyday.
R.I.P.

I've been learning Japanese, and I was able to get through GOTY (pic related) fine.

Not sure what to play next.

Gihrens Greed

Now why would i bother learning a whole new language to play when, if this thread is anything to go by, one game worth a damn that actually needs the language to play it, and it's already getting a translation. I'm not going to learn a whole new language just to experience Japan's version of casual cancer, nor do i give a single fuck about any of the putrid shit companies like NISA or nintendo pumps out.

UMARU DID YOU DRINK ALL MY SODA AGAIN?!

What does that mean? couldn't find anything on jisho.

Oh, that's "Geri Kuso" or Diarrhea Shit.

Why do rodents look so much cuter than in fiction? It's like one of the few things 2D can't do is ever get that pudgy little body with no long neck and tiny face right.

English has rules that are not consistent, sounds that are not uniform, vowels that can pitch and shift seemingly at will, and a structure that's an absolute bitch to anyone who is used to softer tongue or differently-structured languages.

To example, English is tricky for Japanese people, that I've seen, because our foundation grammar goes "subject=>verb=>object" (The sky is blue)
while Japan is distinctly "topic=>verb" (ジェーフはげんき, [As for] Jeff, [he is] healthy), And no, topic does not equal subject; they are two entirely different functions.

The higher you get in formal English, the more you understand that a lot of rules can openly and severely contradict what you know about common English. Americans seldom, if ever, learn formal English—they have no use for it after fifth grade and by that point, most kids have a solid grasp on the common tongue and their own regional dialect. And most don't realize & acknowledge that.

But that acknowledgement is highlighted in English speakers learning Japanese because even self-taught, what we learn is formal in nature, and not the organic common Japanese. Say what you will of Japanese and even Chinese, both have a consistent structure about their written/spoken languages and seldom deviate or contradict at any level.

English, on the other hand, has enough cooky rules at the higher levels to give anyone an stroke, particularly those of us who just use the common English & never bothered with anything else.

None, because I learned Nipponese.

[spoiler]Actually 龍が如く and a bunch that have auto-advancing text and or no-subtitles[spoiler]

I will never be able to play the japan only horror games.

cucked

In tokyo, "baka" is playful and "aho" is more serious. In the rest of nipland, it's the opposite.
There's plenty of dumb comedy routines based around stuff like this, usually with osaka-ben and tokyo-ben people misunderstanding each other.

A friend imported it around the time of its release, and told me about it. Said it awesome, especially the pack-in little spellbook.

I'm ever-so-slowly learning Kanji, and as a kid's game it shouldn't be too hard to wing it.

In Japan I like how a lot of people are afraid of standing up.

Looks like I'm not missing out on much.