Koei's going down the shits with their recent Musou games. While they do seem to be getting more fun among musou fans...

Koei's going down the shits with their recent Musou games. While they do seem to be getting more fun among musou fans, regular people are either playing Basara or are just plain left out. They add fun features in some games but end up excluding them in other games when in reality Musou games could greatly benefit from having all the features together for one game, and All Stars doesn't seem like it's going to change anything.

To Koei and Omega Force, they're all easy and cheap to produce mindless games outside of the art. They have never been more than that with the exception of very few games.

How would you make the ultimate Musou game while retaining the peon genocide element?
Hard Mode: Don't mention Sengoku Basara.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/350310/
skidrowreloaded.com/bladestorm-nightmare-codex/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I disagree.
While their musou titles have been worse lately, as a trade off they've been making fun games like pic related, that, yes, are pretty ripetitive, but if you've been following them for years it's pretty nice to see them do something different (that has some decent potential of growth and polish in a sequel).

Basically the value of traditional musou is going down, but as a trade off we might get more "alternative" "semi-musou" titles like AoT.
I think it's a good thing, even just because of more variety, after all these years of them just doing one thing over and over again.

Also user i'd like to point out something:

No.
They're really fucking not.
It's just people like me that actually IMPORT THE FUCKING TITLES FROM JAPAN that even know what Basara is at this point.
Try discussing Basara in any musou thread here and watch koeifags shitpost you to death, or even normal anons shitpost it because "it's not quite musou, but it's not quite cuhrayzee either" so their tiny black and white brains go haywire and they start screaming and throwing shit everywhere.
No user, the average person does NOT play Basara, the average person doesn't even fucking know what Basara is.

And not only that, in japan Basara is having problems selling copies in general, because fujoshis are purchasing every single Basara product, dolls, manga, pins, basically all the merch, but NOT THE GAMES THEMSELVES.
And the reason why is that they suck did at video games and Basara just keeps getting harder and harder in it's basic gameplay and especially when confronting generals (i mean they're not hard games or anything, but they're harder than anything koei puts out and require you not to be literally braindead half asleep while gripping your controller).
So yeah, Basara ain't in a good place either, not due to a dip in quality, it's actually pretty much the opposite, it's in trouble because it's main audience in japan is too casual for action oriented video games at this point.

I know this sounds very pessimistic but moving fowards we might be looking into a future where Basara will become only very small, self contained titles with a handful of generals (it's already happening with a first spin off, look it up) and mobile games, and Koei will be our last hope.
Not in traditional musou, but in hybrid titles like AoT.

It's pretty grim, not gonna lie.

With huge bosses and better controls.

it would also help to do other things instead of ROTK, like more scifi or fantasy.

I mean sure alright Basara sucks but can you answer the question?

Hyrule Warriors tried that. I found the bosses annoying.

I did however love Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2's take on giant bosses.

They just can't PC port in this decade. They used to be able to for Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Nobunaga's Ambition, but recently they've been kinda eh.

make more unique peons like those lardasses or magicians but make them having more impact on battle and require other strategy than rushing in and mashing the attack button

same goes to the generals, they shouldn't be that easy to kill even with your most grinded and imbalanced weapons and they should scale accordingly

You are wrong.

I've never played Basara, I just know people shit in Musou threads with it.

Also nothing in my post refers directly to Empires. I could also be talking about the character switching in Hyrule Warriors or something.

If they stop raping Samurai Warriors there is a chance i will give them my money, until then they can keep dying.

Where the fuck are the empires series for PC KOEI? Fuck you

You should if you find Bayonetta and Devil May Cry too hard.

post em

Oh i get it, you're one of "those".
Here's your answer, simpleton:

Koei musou are dead and moving fowards they're gonna be even more dead.
You get fucked and either adapt to the other Koei titles or you die in a hole.

Mounted combat with Glaive and Halberd was the bread and butter of generals and heroes in RoTK, I want proper mounted combat, with proper horse mechanics.

Mount and Blade is too "realistic" in it's approach to mounted combat, I want to go full horse Wuxia basically a horse with reliable sidestepping and behaving as nothing more than an extension of the horseman which alters move set, rather that the straight line cavalry charge or circling arrow spaming of Mount and Blade.

I want silly stuff like standing tall on the stirrup at full gallop while circling the Green Dragon Crescent Blade above your head and mowing retards.

I guess it all hinges on what changes Omega Force is making with DW9.

why can't you answer this properly

Omega Force working on something basically means nothing at this point.
Sometiems they make interesting stuff, sometimes they make the most boring shit imaginable, sometimes they straight up remove features and make a game worse than it's predecessor.

Omega Force is sorta like a whore.
Depending on how much you pay her she'll either give you amazing sex, or punch you in the balls and chop your entire junk off.

Only in this situation you're not the one paying the whore, Koei is, and you don't get to choose how much money and time they're giving her to work with, all you can do is wait in the other room, already naked, unsure if you're gonna come out of there getting laid, or an eunuch.

You liked the Dynasty Warriors Gundam series didn't you?

That's your question?
All you need to do is take Omega Force and the Capcom team behind Basara and make them work on an unified title.

Obviously this will never, ever happen.

A lot of genres have simple solutions like this "Take team that does X best, take team that does Y best, make them work on the same project", but it doesn't mean it's doable due to corporate interests and a million other logistical reasons.

which one lets you govern a castle?

Eeeh, after a certain point, they're all forgettable peons in Sumeragi, despite the use of wacky formations to make them marginally trickier. I think 8 Empires was on a decent track when it let you customize peons for the different minor forces.

As far as gameplay, they'll never really mean a lot but their presence is at the same time crucial if you want the player to feel powerful.

Samurai Warriors 3 Empires has the most in-depth castle management, but is entirely in moonrunes. Samurai Warriors 4 Empires lets you play dollhouse with their castle system.

The Dynasty Warriors Empires games don't compare in that regard at all.

Put some actual bloody strategy and troop-commanding in the game, how is this an hard concept?

The player should have a small army of peons that follows him around, equipped like weapons. Different peons do different things in combat and out of it and you can equip up to 3 different types of peons. For instance, Archers are ranged in combat but can operate Archer Towers expanding their range, Mages are short ranged burst damage in combat but they heal your troops outside of it, Infantry is melee but it can also operate siege engines while Engineers are also melee but can build and repair buildings\engines.

There would also be an hierarchy in leadership for your faction and you are somewhere in the middle, going up and down according to how you do in the field. During a battle you can give orders to all lower rank generals and a few of them are entrusted to you. A battle would be about defending key locations while probing others for an attack, not a linear scripted battle. Forts wouldn't just be a place to get health items, they also slowly replenish your troops and those of your allies, from a global pool that each faction has.

Bladestorm Nightmare.

Exactly, thus why you need a collaboration.
Use both solutions in one.

Customizable peons with silly/threatening formations?

Why isn't that game mentioned more often? It sounds exactly like what a musou game should evolve into, even if you only control a single squad at a time.
Too bad it's console only.

Yeah.
Hell customize their formations too, make some real creative ones.
Have them turn into a human gun and shoot a fat peon in your face you gotta dodge.
Go full Wonderful 101.

It's not mentioned because it's extremely tedious.

Sounds like a framerate and coding nightmare. Didn't 101 also have a lot of enjoyable QTEs breaking up the regular gameplay?

Fuck I wish Capcom started porting these to PC, I played 3 on Wii and fell in love with it, and Utage was nice too, I guess.

Is 8 empires worth a pirate? I kind of had fun with ambition mode in 8XL.

Yep, although it would be for Vita right? I think shit slows down when you attack towers, also horrible textures.

Still, free is free.

Vita DW is unplayable without the FPS fixing patches.

I played Basara 2, 3 and 3 Utage, and all were garbage, on par with DW6. Unless 4 is drastically different, it's garbage as well.
Basarafags should kill themselves.

Their strategy games were too shallow, despite having a reputation/marketing for complexity. There were always much better options on the PC.

Their non-strategy games have always been extremely poor.

How were they ever praised?

Kessen was good at least.

Hello,

reddit.

Enjoying

your

stay?

MAYBE ITS BECAUSE THE PORTS ARE SHIT
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Yup

My one dream is that both Holla Forums and Holla Forums filter out "Reddit spacing" or even "Reddit" in general to something so either board can finally shut the fuck up about that particular boogeyman.

I heard their last port was pretty alright

That's actually easy, just wordfilter 2 line breaks and all the text will be right next to each other.

Although, I'd miss being able to write paragraphs that have different ideas instead.

>>>/reddit/

It's on Steam, but it's expensive and isn't the best port, but it's there.
store.steampowered.com/app/350310/

I mean filter out the actual phrase because I'm fucking sick of seeing it on either board, it popped up on a number of boards completely out of the blue and it's been most receptive on Holla Forums and Holla Forums because of both boards' hate-rager for Reddit since Shazbowl. Maybe filter to "anybody who uses line breaks is reddit guys" or something.

Like pottery

Welp, that's what I get for trusting in Wikipedia to know about this shit.
No it's not :^)
skidrowreloaded.com/bladestorm-nightmare-codex/

Theory goes it's another "divide and conquer" done by either INTL\goons\CTR or whoever (like it matters) to piss off everyone.
It upsets me more that people still fall for it more than the spacing itself.

Probably somebody just trying to piss people off, yeah. I think the worst of it's when literally every word is line-broken like because god fucking damn no matter how much people pretend Reddit spacing is even a legitimate problem being an obnoxious shitter about it in the complete other direction isn't a solution.

At least be subtle about it
>>>/reddit/
You fags cant even sage while offtopic

Who cares, it wasn't a good thread to start with and it's not like you want to stay in topic anymore anyway.

O-OY VEY! YOU'RE A BAD GOY!

Kill yourself goon

It's a thread about shitting on the game. Hardly unique on Holla Forums.
Had some neat discussion, but there doesn't seem to be much else to discuss, everyone already agreed it was shit after all.

This was my first post and very much on topic.
The post that derailed this was: so tell me why "reddit spacing" isn't just shitposting to derail threads.

Are you a Reddit moderator?

Trying too hard,

Go ahead and discuss the game yourself.
What else do you have to add? That LU BU is your husbando? Or that you wanna fug one of the girls?
What riveting conversation…

He does have a certain charm

I always this horrible nightmare where DW9 slips back into DW6 bullshit. Also, Shamoke when? He sounds like a badass in the novel.

Reported

strategy games in the MSX and Famicom era, that's why. In the "game developer copies floppies, photostats manual, and puts it in a mailing envelope" days, Koei was unmatched in Japan.
People liked their stuff over here mostly for the novelty. ROTK doesn't really fill the same niche as Civ even though they're both strategy games.

Jesus, i'm always amazed just how fast threads on Holla Forums turn into utter shit.
At a certain hour every day all the shitters come back from school and start shitting up every single thread, it's a swarm of hungry locusts.

Why can't we just settle Holla Forums vs Reddit with our hundreds of thousands of troops.

Also, Koei's never made a 4X game. I don't think they've ever even made a game with randomized playing field at all.