Just finished Fallout 1, it was a good time. What kind of build did you guys use for Fallout...

Just finished Fallout 1, it was a good time. What kind of build did you guys use for Fallout? Also what fallout games are worth playing after fallout 2? Or should I go and try wasteland next?

NO TODD ALLOWED

Small guns, lockpick, speech- ez mode
Fallout Resurrection and Arcanum.

Small guns and lockpick.
AIM FOR THE EYES

I have very fond memories of launching rockets at supermutants in Mariposa, even after they closed in for melee. Powered armour is a nice thing to have.

OP here, I went in blind and made a guy with high perception and used the hunting rifle until I got the plasma rifle and upgraded it to the turbo plasma rifle and used that along with a rocket launcher and my power armor that helped carried the weight. I later upgraded the power armor into hardened power armor. Also I didn't blow up the military base until everything was dead in it, and I fought the master legit.

Slayer/kung fu builds are something to see, same goes for big gun kamikazi bozar or kamikazi pulse.
You might also give tactics a chance. It's no van buren but it has a specific charm and a story that only ends up improving.

Also i had finesse and fast shot so i could shoot the turbo plasma rifle three times in one turn.

Give this a go with the Redux mod to fix up the game.

what? what does it change?

Did you ever find the traveling caravan in the game? Somewhere near the first vault 'Jordan Buzunis' He sells some pretty good shit for cheap at the start of the game.

Namefags just got weirder :^)

I did, but it was late game and didn't need anything they sold.

Fuck fallout 2, it was for bitch ass scrubs unlike the legendary fallout fallout 4 with its legendary enemies and deathclaw sex mods.

I'm calling it - if obsidian gets a FO4 version of NV we'll get a fisting deathclaw lesbian

ltierall all he said was "gay gay sexx" then menu open up listing holes i could take his jordan

made progress in fallout 1 for the first time a few weeks ago
the whole game felt like it had these ideas but never really fleshed them out
small arms and then turbo plasma like literally every other motherfucker who has ever played this game. You have choices but not really, you either use whats effective or punish yourself with inferior weaponry.

The game is interesting for its time but its mechanically shallow nowadays.

High agility + action boy + turbo plasma rifle.
I become the gunslinger of the post-apocalypse.

lol no

Well, I hate to be that guy but, yes.
You have so very few perk selections per character and so very few actually valid weapons to carry through to end-game combat that a lot of roles simply cannot be played.

That said, the game is still GOOD, it just has much more limitations on the player than Fallout 2 and NV.

nice line of reasoning faggot

By the point I had it, I had saved up nearly two thousand MFC's too so ammo was plentiful to a whopping degree. Fallout 1 my most used gun was the .223 pistol but I forget what I used towards the end, FO2 was .223 pistol until I found Y2K but it was lackluster shit and I went to the Turbo plasma and man did I love it.

Such as?

As opposed to his line of reasoning>

I'm that faggot from a few days ago that made a shitty XCOM thread and missed the input field
there, I finally removed it

looks good. I'll give it a try

The sad fact is that "builds" amount to very little in both original Fallout games. The problem is they're too low on actual mandatory content to put it to use, and they're too easy anyway (outside of those bullshit instant game over crits of course).

I would disagree. what king if builds did you play with?

But yeah, the amount of valid stuff for most optional content isn't very large, to be quite honest, as I pointed out above.
Turbo laser can carry you through anything, as can most of the heavy weaponry, and melee weaponry is fine but the vast majority of the weaponry simply isn't valid into late game where you fight deathclaws and mutants.

Repost with right image.

Go to Boneyard and get some robes.
Cathedral -> open door through one of four or five easy ways of obtaining key including bartering for 12 caps -> go upstairs, grab dynamite, eletronic lockpick, and Tesla armor -> blow up door to downstairs, walk on through to bottom level pick some locks easily and activate bomb
Military Base -> pick front door lock, walk on through to computer terminal and set base to explode, walk back out -> Game beaten in 15 minutes.

It's so trivial to actually beat Fallout that all the specialization it presents amounts to almost nothing because there's little incentive to do any of it.

nigga just play the game, don't speedrun it. also

Unfortunately, you don't need a single bit of Charisma or Speech to pass the conversational checks the game actually cares about. Intelligence is good enough.

Bottom-tier trait. Gifited/Fast Shot for Ranged, Gifted/One Hander for Unarmed.

Not worth it. 7.5/10 game and then you hit St. Louis where it's 3/10 at best for the rest of the game except the Reaver levels.

just play the damn game, yo

You can grind a bit if you want in my description, pick another stat besides Outdoorsman if you like. It's totally pointless though. Mildly decent lockpick and science skill are all that really matter. Everything else is overcome with equipment which the game basically throws.

So you're saying that just because the game allows so much variety and the fact you can exploit one of the ways to complete the main quest through metagaming makes Fallout a bad game?

No, what I'm saying is that the game provides tools to beat it so readily that there is almost no point to role playing. Most of the shit I mentioned is right upstairs at the cathedral. These aren't "exploits". The game is piss easy to a fault.

That's not possible, FO4 is not an RPG, it lacks the core mechanics to make it one.

So did you find those tools on your first playthrough and then proceeded to finish the game in ~15 minutes? Without pouring over a walkthough or wiki?

You're a fucking moron.

I certainly found and used the robes on the first playthrough. Their obvious and intended use of walking past mutants is broken as fuck.

Quality argument.

Come to think of it, dynamite is what I used to access the basement the first time too. It's almost the only use for dynamite in the entire game.

What's there to argue about? Your whole post is basically being a smug autist calling a game easy because you figured out the specific sequence of events necessary to game the system.

Any fucking idiot can do that with a wiki. Just fuck off.

With this kind of attitude I sincerely hope you'll never want to try tabletop. Players with the mindset of "I must powergame because I must win and the only way to win is to be better than anyone else" are called "munchkins".

So I figured out how to beat this joke of a game in 15 minutes and I'm the moron? Look in the mirror fam.

Just ignore him, he's here to shitpost the thread.

Are you the type of player that when they find a mathematically "optimal" way of playing a game (be it a particular skill, weapon, or even path), they can't stop themselves from abusing it, and can no longer do anything else, despite it being significantly less fun to play that way?

Nah, how about the developers just design a better game instead. Fallout is a jigsaw of halfassed ideas, unfinished content, and bugs.

Not at all, I actually happen to replay my games all the time with self-imposed restrictions. I just beat FFVII retreating from all non-boss battles for instance.

The game was created in times when "CRPG" didn't just consist of a checklist with attributes, XP, perks and the like.

You're not a very fitting person to judge this. Just take my word on it.

You're thinking Fallout 2. The first game didn't have all that much loose ends - at least those that were apparent to a player, not to someone who read about various cut assets and dialogues discovered in game files by an enthusiast.

Unfortunately many good CRPGs are suffering from this. Although when it comes to Fallout in this day and age, this problem is of very little prominence.

This was my first and favorite build for that game and damn was it fun.

I thought it was a honest 8/10 game up until the penultimate mission in Cheyenne mountain. There's just so many god damn robots even with 6 people with energy weapons its a complete slogfest. I still haven't actually beaten the game and it feels bad that we'll never see the best Fallout faction ever again.

Oh… We're gonna play this card huh? The poor thing is just a product of its time eh?

Honestly it fucking blows my mind how short on mainline content, buggy, and unfinished the original Fallout games are when they had the money to pay all those voice actors. I look at a ridiculously huge and satisfying RPG like Exile III, released only a few years before and made by one guy in his garage, and I'm just at a loss for words. What in the actual fuck happened to PC RPGs when developers switched to isometry in the late '90s?

This game blows them utterly the fuck out. Better interface, better controls, better mechanics, more content, actual challenge, tons of actually meaningful ways to play through it. Tell me Interplay, why couldn't you make you bloated budget studio RPG even remotely as competent as this?

I'm sad we'll never get a good Fallout game again. Bethesda is doing everything in their power to shit up the franchise any way they can.

We'll never have a game with a fully realized Legion or Enclave path, let alone another Fallout where you can actually roleplay properly.

Brazil and the Frontier are the last hurrah before we reach entropy.

Interesting. Is it possible that you just don't enjoy the base gameplay in Fallout/2, so instead of viewing them as RPGs where it's the journey, not the destination that matters, you view them as binary puzzles to be solved which means finding the path of least resistance to the end to solve them?

I'd argue that every single Super Mutant/Robot mission is a complete slog. Robots since they're ridiculous damage sponges, and Super Mutants because you're always one bad roll away from getting 1 shot gibbed from across the map by a Mutant with an M2 who just rolled a 20.

I've beaten the game twice, once vanilla, once with Redux. I kept hoping it would get better, and it never did.

Again, you're approaching the genre as a whole as if it was called "dungeon crawler", or, to use a similar but a bit more modern term, "ARPG". Efficiency that, numbers this, difficulty, balance and so on.
I get it. It is a perfectly valid viewpoint as far as video games are concerned. I disagree, but who cares.
I haven't played the third Exile, only the first one, and then only a little. Because soon enough I realized that I'm forcing myself to slog through it. I doubt that the third game is vastly different because in those times sequels tended to improve on predecessors, in general.

Exile II and III have some quite substantial interface improvements over the original, you might give them a chance if you found the original too tedious.

Although if you manage to deal with the click frenzy and waiting around of Fallout you should surely be able to handle the interface of the first Exile.

Nope. You do need speech.

I don't see why they wouldn't give the ip to obsidian again while they work on elder scrolls.
Easy money.

Ah, I see. Gay nigger poopie doodoo?

Maybe I should have been more clear. You don't need any Charisma or Speech to beat the game in 15 minutes. The cathedral robes and adequate Intelligence are enough to talk your way past all the guards at the cathedral and military base.

If I liked Geneforge, would I enjoy Exile?

I'd say probably. I'm not as big a fan of Spiderweb's games after they switched to isometric though. The summoning system from Geneforge was elaborated out of the summoning system of Exile II and III.

The most fun I ever had buildwise with Fallout 2 was with Jinx plus minmaxing for AC. The number of enemy critical failures gets really absurd.

Because last time they did that Obsidian humiliated them. Compare New Vegas and FO4 and notice how many things FO4 "borrows" from NV and butchers in the process. NV made Bethesda look bad.

Not that I think Obsidian has what it takes to make something like NV ever again, considering recent events, nor would they take up business with Bethesda again, considering they tried the same bullshit they always try when a developer falls into their claws.

They can't without writers.

Slowpoke here, I just became aware of WL3, and here are my 2 cents so far:

Pros:
+improved graphics
+snowy setting (I like those)

Cons:
-funded on Fig
-using Unity again

I think they should've held off the reveal until they had a proper trailer, 'cause that short teaser vid was kind of a weak first impression to make.

Well, they thought it a good idea to chase away their best writer and use the godawful writing their tumblr hires provided.

W2 was all kinds of shit, I fail to see how anyone can think W3 will be any better.

No tanks

Trips of truth. RPGs don't need over-animated dialogue like that. Probably going to bloat the development.

they never learns, aren't they?

It's good but personally I love my groin eye criticals too much and even with shit like Mi88 having the first turn ends just about every fight in your favor. Also the AC penalty will only hurt you until you get some metal/combat armor, and implants or phycho trivializes it.
Cheatsy as fuck imho
Again, not van buren but I enjoyed it for what it is. Pretty good ending too.

Small arms into turboplasma first time, sniper style later on. FO2 had better options for builds tbh, in that one playing melee is a lot of fun.

If you want a similar game with a Metro-like take on post apocalypse, UnderRail is really good.

Dev'd by Serbs, enjoying the hell out of it, a lot more than Wasteland 2, which I think is still worse than Fallout 2, IMO.

Embed some gameplay, feel free to skip ahead to some combat parts. There are a lot of awesome builds, pretty much everything is viable as long as you specialize (don't jack of all trades, you will fail horribly).

It requires prior knowledge though, either beating the game before or reading a walkthrough. You can't just "figure it out" without playing the game because when you start you don't even know what the ultimate goal of the game is. You're looking for the water chip and don't even know where or what the cathedral and the military base are.

Should've picked better gameplay. this guy is pretty bad. There's potential for builds ranging from psionic mastermind to Jin-Roh, and melee is viable but very tough early game.

Oh god why. Wasteland 2 felt empty and unfinished and now they're going to waste time to develop multiplayer content nobody will play a month after the release.

If you use small guns you are ultimate pleb. Energy Weapons + Turbo Plasma = godmode

Unarmed + Traps is really fun too as long as you allow yourself a character editor to put 20~ dynamites/C4 in your inventory
Assassination and crowd control cannot be more fun when you have to strategically place bombs and run

Only if you're a casual who doesn't know how to crit properly.

ah yes, the most fun way to possibly go through the game pleb

Try an Unarmed run, you won't regret it.

Pick your stance, faggot.

I don't remember that bit.
Someone remind me what was that about

Fallout Tactics is the closest you will get to playing Enclave.
You can purge all of the mutants at the end.

It's from Fallout Resurrection

Ultra-pleb mode max agility, high int, small guns, speech, lockpick.

Props to fallout 2 for having the balls to slap players for that.

I still did it anyway

In what way?

You start in a dungeon with a spear facing against a butt ton of giant ants and scorpions. If you completely dumped strength and all melee skill, you're gonna have a bad day.

Duh, right. I didn't even draw that connection since I generally don't min-max.

You know you can just run past the ants and skip the guy at the end with speech, right?

MOAR DAKKA is the only real way to play

It doesn't change my criticism though. The fact that so very little is actually needed to beat the game completely deflates the thought put into character building.

Casuals made developers sacrifice depth (casuals think depth is confusing and give up on it) for higher looks deep production values (please spoon feed me everything otherwise it's bad game design).

would remove tunnel kebab again / 10

You know that you can persuade the guy to let you go straight back to the village? As in nope, fuck this dungeon

Better to steal his key actually, the theft check isn't high and you get a little extra experience points.

fallout 2 is shite

in which one could you steal a good armor early on?

Wasteland 2 was terrible. They tried to turn it into Fallout: Wasteland but WAY more boring and the programming was Josh-tier.

It doesn't if you actually want to play the game (the 99% of its content you skip by using prior knowledge) instead of speed running it. Not that character building in F1/2 is particularly great, you have maybe 3-4 builds with slight variations, some options that are broken as fuck (gifted, intelligence) and a lot of niche and useless stuff (most traits, perks and skills), but "because it's possible to speed run the game" is not the best case against character building.