ITT: Weapons you never use outside the first few minutes of a game

ITT: Weapons you never use outside the first few minutes of a game.

By the second episode I forgot I even had the wand, it's such a piece of shit.

Sniping fire gargoyles with Dragon Claw is definitely easier.

If only it got some kind of upgrade mid-game. A scope would've been enough to make it actually useful.

If it had better accuracy it could have been nice as a long range weapon at least. But since it's no better than the SMG in terms of accuracy fuck it.

takedowns. In any stealth game. Only use them at first to see the animations

It's only somewhat useful if you have a Tome of Power active, and even then there are way better weapons to use it on than the wand.

It actually has godly accuracy if you pause to let your crosshair stop bouncing around in between each shot. I remember using it to pixel snipe soldiers who couldn't hit me with their shitty SMGs whenever I wanted to save Crossbow/Magnum ammo. Climbing up the Nova Prospekt cliffs was basically a process of taking casual pot shots while the Antlions drew all the enemy fire.

It's also a great ranged tool, complementing your crowbar and gravity gun.

Literally to kill the first three enemies, then you get a gun with unlimited ammo.

I always hate when games, and especially FPS, waste one weapon slot on a weapon you'll never likely use ever again once you get a second weapon.

What's the point? Either make that gun upgradeable within the campaign or make it powerful and useful enough to be used throughout.

How are Hexen and Heretic? Only of these types of games from the era I never ended up playing.

Fist in 90% of FPS game including Doom is fucking useless.

Heretic is basically DOOM in a fantasy setting with some changes, most notably items you can use at will.
Hexen is a grimdark version of Heretic with three classes each having too few weapons, and even more changes.
Both games are set in the same universe and even their stories are related.
There exist a number of source ports that allow to play both comfortably on modern hardware.

Thanks, sounds good, I'll put them on the list.

I would use it if it didn't sound like a muffled dog fart

Hexen also plays really weird.
There's basically an overworld map which you can go into other maps from. You can go back and forth between maps.

Heretic's first and third episodes have some very cool levels, and the chainsaw and shotgun stand-ins are sick.
Hexen is more like a true adventure game/light RPG done on the engine and has some excellent graphics and music, but the action isn't as tight as doom.

It makes me wonder why they have such a pointless melee choice in the game. It's only when you get the chainsaw in Doom that shit starts getting fun.

Only within the same hub. You can't go back to Winnowing Hall from the Seven Portals, for example.

Phoenix Rod, man. Also Tome of Power versions of pretty much every weapon.

You can get the berserker in doom, and also you don't pick up the fist since it's just your hand. It would be weird to have no way to attack before the chainsaw. Melee weapons that aren't just your limbs, you have to collect, come with scripted sequences, and are still worthless, are shit.

Guys I've played with didn't believe me that super shotgun is a good weapon for long range engagements.
in b4 that user asks me again what mod is this.
I still don't know, sorry, m8.

That's Q2 Evolved

It could've been a knife. Melee weapons shouldn't be weaker than the pistol.

You mean the fist should have been a knife? The chainsaw is the powerful melee weapon, the fist is for when you run out of ammo early on. If the 'fist' was stronger than the pistol it would be too easy in early doom.

You're seriously upset that the Berserker pack lets you do a ton of damage with your fists? "Muh realism" fags are fucking cancer.

Anons, demonic looking aliens from a easily scientifically explainable portal on one of the Mars' moons are perfectly realistic. And the zombies. Don't forget the zombies.

DooM4 pistol

The Polar Star really isn't garbage in any way. Everything else is better, but it's not garbage.

This

The spur right?

or

Damn shame too, cool concept.

The leash is useful throughout the game what are you taking about?

It's a 1/1000 drop chance user, don't exaggerate.

But the chest only has a 25 percent chance to even appear to give you that one in a thousand so it might as well be zero. I can honestly say the zodiac spear is one of the most retarded things ever put in a game

It's a 10% chance to spawn, 10% chance that that spawn will be an item, and if you're wearing the diamond amulet thing, a further 10% chance that the item will be the zodiac spear. 1/1000 chance and the chest respawns. It is pretty retarded though yes.

FFXII and Chrono Trigger, but what is this shield?

Hit Z to zoom with the suit, it's actually similar to the magnum in terms of accuracy, it only takes a quick two shot at most ranges.
Great gun, you're just using it wrong and the damage doesn't hold up into late-game.

That's FFVI's Cursed Shield.

So useless the first thing I do is turn around, pick up the chainsaw and use it instead.

Bitch please, the berserk pack actually buffs your fists into being better than the chainsaw (which is actually the most useless weapon due to it's ability to alter your movement entirely as you use it), and it ends up being more useful than the normal-tier shotgun in some situations.

Maybe if you disregard 99% of the WADs. It's great for pinkies and retarded cacodemons. The pistol remains the most useless because of the minigun

Shows you've never even played that game, faggot.

That game hardcore lacks ammo so you fall back to that pistol-reskin A LOT.

You do, mostly because it uses its own ammo, unlike the pistol and chaingun in Doom.

How shit are you at ammo conservation and finding secrets, nigga? You don't run out of ammo for any of the other weapons unless you're being careless as fuck. Do you not use the Tome of Power or something?

Agreed on the minigun replacing pistol.

Is what other people say.
Experiment that aged too hard.
>they aren't even worth exploring oh noo

What kind of fucking casual do you take me for?

I usually just forget to use the Tomes or save them for too long. This way, indeed, you have to switch back to the Elven Wand from time to time.

>>they aren't even worth exploring oh noo
They are fun to find tho.

Absolutely not a problem if you are playing on Titan/Pope/Archmage.

Hexen is a game I can only stomach for short 40-50 minute intervals.
It was ambitious, but it's got too many problems and it's really awkward to actually play.

You only get to carry one every time you leave a level, so there's no reason to not use them.

Why waste time dancing around and punching it when you can kill it faster with the chainsaw. Additionally its still the best way to kill Cacodemons.

whats the point of these once you have knights?

Throw the sawed off shotgun in there too. That's the single biggest thing preventing me from replaying Shadow of Chernobyl. The early game is miserable

cannon fodder

Anti-piercing.
But a it only effects piercing and no hero has piercing and no team utilizes piercing, its pretty much null and void.
I can't even remember what units orcs use competitively.

I know. I still forget until I'm finishing off last monsters from a large battle, at which point it would be a waste so I keep it in case there is another big fight.

The chainsaw is a decent weapon. It can stunlock imps, pinkies, cacodemons, pain elementals, lost souls, revenants (if you're good enough) and sometimes mancubuses.
You can also kill most humans/demons without taking damage just by using corners with it.
If you try to do a Tyson run you'll see how useful it is, especially after you learn how to use the monster you're killing as a pivot and circle around it so projectiles don't hurt you.

But yeah, the pistol sucks ass in comparison to the minigun (and every other weapon) in every way.

so other enemies projectiles*

In CoP, there's literally no reason to throw away the starter Makarov. Upgrades can bring the weight down to almost nothing while giving it ridiculous accuracy. On top of that, 9x18 can be found everywhere. It's perfect to keep around for an emergency sidearm when you run out of boolet for your primary guns.

He may just be talking about SoC, though.