Is there anything wrong with using procedural generation today?

Is there anything wrong with using procedural generation today?

Other urls found in this thread:

archives.nucl.ai/recording/building-a-galaxy-procedural-generation-in-no-mans-sky/
archives.nucl.ai/secure/Ths5Zl4oP5SllIfvw5Tk3Q/1476151026/files/nuclai15/nuclai15_NoMansSky.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is there anything wrong with these digits?

no they are perfect just the way they are user.

It's lazy.

Depends on the game. More often than not it's just lazy devs and it clearly hurts the game because instead of encounters being designed by hand in a way that makes sense for gameplay, story, difficulty curve etc encounters are just randomly slapped together by an algorithm in a way that is almost guaranteed to be poorly done.

no theres nothing wrong with it. people are just annoyed by them because they feel its over done

It's lazy and shows insecurity in map design skills.

Le epic smarty sad man mem

its only lazy if its done poorly. if you make a good random map generator it shows you know what it takes to make a decent map

There's literally nothing wrong with atheism, nihilism, and profound depression.

Encounters should be designed by hand and then used for procgen to take advantage of. Diablo 2 and Binding of Isaac do this pretty well, and Terraria isn't too bad for it. Minecraft or any other open world 3d sandbox game is a great example of what not to do - but maybe theyd be better if things served a purpose and had more cohesion and weren't just tacked on

BBOOOOORRRRIIINNGGGGG

No, they're lovely! Great job!

For level design it is neat in that it makes it so people actually have to explore since a guide isn't going to tell them.
Sadly all that really equates to is different types of hallways and a borderline inability to speedrun.

For weapons it is all-out stupidity.
The proper idea would be finding modifications.
But you can't.

Character creation wise it often looks ugly or is just leaving the door open for dissatisfaction.

All in all just a really lazy way of creating content.

Lack of content and lack of a crafted experience.
When you procedurally generate, you lose intentionally structured challenges and set pieces that allow you a more well-crafted story. Procedural generation is fine for arcade games like Binding of Isaac, but not for something that wants to be about exploration or narrative.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just we have a lot of bad implementations like No Man's Sky. Procedural textures using fractals are cool, but no game seems to include them.

Forgot pic.

Procedural generation is only good when there is a ton of human created content behind it.
I think the best example is TBoI, but i'm digging the world generation from We Happy Few, which seems to be based around square patches of map randomly assembled toghether.

it tends to make for interesting maps in strategery. exploring the map to develop strategies on the fly is so different than knowing exactly what you need to do for an optimal strategy.

There's nothing wrong. Daggerfall is still the shit. It's just minecraft type garbage that is bullshit.

No Man's Sky is a result of it, so yes very much so.

As a way to cut down on the file sizes of assets, no- in this way, with 50 GB or 100 GB sized game installs, I'd actually like to see more procedural generation instead fuckhuge installs.
As a way to design important gameplay facets or as the primary feature, it becomes a problem.

There is no problem with dungeons being generated in Diablo II, but there is a problem with No Man's Sky.

Also this game is 96 kb (which is kind of crazy). I wouldn't mind if the same kind of tech was used reasonably to generate models and textures on the fly as opposed to storing files.

Minecraft honestly has one of the better procedural generation systems. I wish that they still had floating islands and that sort of shit.

At least when it comes to animals, the system is certainly flawed. There was this presentation by one of the programmers on the team and she goes in depth about how procedural generation works. It certainly seems that the team or at least she had a more rounded concept than what was actually developed.

archives.nucl.ai/recording/building-a-galaxy-procedural-generation-in-no-mans-sky/

archives.nucl.ai/secure/Ths5Zl4oP5SllIfvw5Tk3Q/1476151026/files/nuclai15/nuclai15_NoMansSky.pdf

Nothing inherently wrong with procedural generation, but it needs to be used in the right places.
The basic rule is to not use it for fucking everything like NMS did.

If it's all procedural generated then it just makes the experience uneven. If there is a solid foundation and the procedural generation is to add some diversity between, then I think it's fine. There needs to be a balance between a well balanced design first and adjusting the range of the random elements so that it doesn't go toward the extreme of severe dullness and utter chaos.

I never thought a few colored balls could illicit such a rollercoaster of emotion

I think it's a decent meme.

It's just beautiful how years of misusing the term have actually changed its meaning. Even the more knowledgeable anons in this thread both use it right and wrong in the same fucking post. It's like poetry.

The way Star Citizen uses it it's good, the way NMS uses it it's shit, there always has to be an actual human overseeing the generated content unless your game is aiming for Minecraft-tier quality.

The fact that it uses /sci/ as an shining example of intelligence should give it away that it's meant ironically, since the only discussion you will find there is over fake quotes they themselves made up and if 0.999…=1 is true.

I liked Homm 3's terrain generation.